Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Somberbrero posted:

When teaching Petz, I actually try to mention the flavor as explanations for game mechanics as we go along. It's pretty helpful, not everyone necessarily remembers that you need at least two Imps on the Cage space, but more people remember that an Imp is too small to carry a cage alone. :3:

Tekopo posted:

I wouldn't recommend using the extra board from Dark Alleys (the one with more actions) until you are familiar with the game, because it can of breaks some of the established rules in the base game (for better, but it makes things a lot more complex). I would also suggest taking out the advanced pets/cages/additions/artifacts from Dark Alleys until you know what you are doing.

Lords can take a long time to teach if it is your first time because it have a lot of moving parts and small rules (like most Vlaadas).

Tekopo posted:

I wouldn't recommend using the extra board from Dark Alleys (the one with more actions) until you are familiar with the game, because it can of breaks some of the established rules in the base game (for better, but it makes things a lot more complex). I would also suggest taking out the advanced pets/cages/additions/artifacts from Dark Alleys until you know what you are doing.

Lords can take a long time to teach if it is your first time because it have a lot of moving parts and small rules (like most Vlaadas).
Duly noted both, thanks. I was planning on using the flavour stuff because like most Vlaada rulebooks, these are great fun, and I can see it being very helpful. I'll skip the extra board for now then, but I'll probably leave in the expansion extra bits (buyers, cages, pets, artefacts etc etc) unless that just doesn't work out at all - the group picks things up quickly and unpicking what's what at this point sounds like a drag.

Lords is already looking like a weekend-only game, especially with the teaching time.

We'll be getting a game in before New Year, it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Megasabin posted:

Also I have to say all this kickstarter exclusive poo poo is really dumb. Why are you releasing the full version of the game to only a limited amount of people.

I agree. That type of behavior is awful and I won't stand for it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go preorder Arkham Duty: Advanced Unity to unlock the Ranger class (how the game is meant to be played) and get my Special Legendary Elite Doritosmith Armor.

In all seriousness, Kickstarter has made that type of bullshit more tolerable, and exclusive content always causes money to burn holes in gamer's pockets.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Yeah, I had a copy of the new Resistance expansion in my hands yesterday at the FLGS. Meanwhile, I don't think they've even started shipping my Kickstarted copy. Fuckers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Indie Board and Cards can eat a bag of dicks. I gave up on them after they had a KS for Coup: Reformation. The expansion existed before the original Coup KS began. It would have been 12 extra cards in the box but instead they did a whole second KS for it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I was under the impression this was usual for kickstarters. I think there's threads on Reddit and BGG about how you should absolutely expect anything you kickstart to be both available in stores before you get it and cheaper than what you pledged. It's not a traditional ordering system, for better or worse.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I just bought Avalon an hour ago, still shrinkwrapped. Did I make a mistake considering the new Resistance expacs?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Millions posted:

I just bought Avalon an hour ago, still shrinkwrapped. Did I make a mistake considering the new Resistance expacs?

No.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I need to spend $15 more at funagain for free shipping. Any ideas?

I've already got the standards (love letter, resistance, etc)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Malloreon posted:

I need to spend $15 more at funagain for free shipping. Any ideas?

I've already got the standards (love letter, resistance, etc)

Hive Pocket Edition is great.

I like to pad out orders with card sleeves and that kind of thing too.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Having backed the reistance xpacs (and many other disappointing projects), I think I'm done with any further board game kickstarters. It's just not worth it. It's like they all fall into one of two categories 1) a half baked idea that promises you the world and never delivers or is years late or 2) an above MSRP preorder system using you as a stepping block to get their product in stores. I think I can count of less than half a hand the number of kickstarters that had little to no issues.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So in the base game of Memoir 44 the only real sticking point in the rules I see is that they don't specify how many dice you roll when retreating, we've been going off the assumption that it's always 4? Unless there is something I missed.

Also the card Air Power talks about effect groups of 4 or less enemies that are adjacent to each other, what exactly does I classify as a group? Meaning if for example there are 2 infantry and 2 tanks next to each other I could attack both of those units right? Or if it was 1 infantry across 3 hexes then 1 tank, bi could attack all of them correct?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So in the base game of Memoir 44 the only real sticking point in the rules I see is that they don't specify how many dice you roll when retreating, we've been going off the assumption that it's always 4? Unless there is something I missed.

Also the card Air Power talks about effect groups of 4 or less enemies that are adjacent to each other, what exactly does I classify as a group? Meaning if for example there are 2 infantry and 2 tanks next to each other I could attack both of those units right? Or if it was 1 infantry across 3 hexes then 1 tank, bi could attack all of them correct?

You don't roll any dice when retreating. What exactly would the purpose of these rolls be?

Regarding Air Power, you basically target 4 or less connected hexes (they could be in a straight line or a line with a bend or all bunched up, or whatever) that have enemy units on them. The number of figures in the units doesn't matter, if that's what you're asking with your examples, which I'm having trouble parsing because the wording is ambiguous.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Scyther posted:

You don't roll any dice when retreating. What exactly would the purpose of these rolls be?

Regarding Air Power, you basically target 4 or less connected hexes (they could be in a straight line or a line with a bend or all bunched up, or whatever) that have enemy units on them. The number of figures in the units doesn't matter, if that's what you're asking with your examples, which I'm having trouble parsing because the wording is ambiguous.

When I mean went you take a hit, you roll the dice to see how many spaces back you move, the confusion was on how many dice to roll then, not during the actual retreat, sorry!

Is Air Power that simple? Maybe I'm just misremembering the wording on the card itself but I thought it says something like "target hexes that has groups of 4 enemies or less adjacent to each other"

but if it's just targeting 4 connected hexes and rolling the hits then I must have bad reading comprehension

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

When I mean went you take a hit, you roll the dice to see how many spaces back you move, the confusion was on how many dice to roll then, not during the actual retreat, sorry!

Is Air Power that simple? Maybe I'm just misremembering the wording on the card itself but I thought it says something like "target hexes that has groups of 4 enemies or less adjacent to each other"

but if it's just targeting 4 connected hexes and rolling the hits then I must have bad reading comprehension

You don't roll the dice to see how many spaces you move back. If I'm attacking one of your units, if I roll any flags, the number of flags I roll is the number of spaces you retreat (taking into account of course any abilities that let you ignore a flag, like being on sandbags).

e: Please tell me you're not rolling dice to determine how far you can move in any other situations either, this should never happen.

Regarding Air Power:

A "Unit" in Memoir '44 is a group of figures that occupy one hex. The individual plastic men and tanks are referred to as "figures". Whether a unit is at full strength (4 figures for regular infantry, 3 for regular tanks), down to its last man, or anywhere inbetween, it is considered one "Unit".

Scyther fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 18, 2014

EBag
May 18, 2006

Has anyone played Bruxelles 1893? I'm considering picking it up for free shipping on an order, sounds like it's supposed to be pretty good if you like euros and Feld games.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Scyther posted:

[i]e: Please tell me you're not rolling dice to determine how far you can move in any other situations either, this should never happen

Nope that was the only time! I guess because both sides have the same dice my mind told me the defender has to roll for how cowardly their men are in the face of danger or something. Thanks for the clarification

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EBag posted:

Has anyone played Bruxelles 1893? I'm considering picking it up for free shipping on an order, sounds like it's supposed to be pretty good if you like euros and Feld games.

Our group enjoyed it, but for some reason it's not getting to the table lately. It has some nice interaction to it as well. A little bit chickenish, but nothing overwhelming.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

Our group enjoyed it, but for some reason it's not getting to the table lately. It has some nice interaction to it as well. A little bit chickenish, but nothing overwhelming.

Is that just because there are other games you guys would rather be playing or is it something to do with the game itself? Too long, too heavy?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I impulse bought Fiasco the other day (along with that lovely looking Adventure Time card game) because I'm an idiot with money.

Anything else I should pick up or download and print out to make playing it easier? I've never really played a pen and paper RPG before, and I have a feeling it will be sort of like herding cats to get people to cooperate and pay attention during setup stuff...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EBag posted:

Is that just because there are other games you guys would rather be playing or is it something to do with the game itself? Too long, too heavy?

We got deluged with Essen games, and hopefully will return to a somewhat modified rotation soon. Should include Bruxelles, a lot of people liked it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stan Taylor posted:

Anything else I should pick up or download and print out to make playing it easier? I've never really played a pen and paper RPG before, and I have a feeling it will be sort of like herding cats to get people to cooperate and pay attention during setup stuff...

All you need to play Fiasco in pens, paper and four six-sided dice per player, in two different colors. Don't treat Fiasco as an RPG, treat it like improvising a film and starring it in yourselves.

Trill Sandwich
Sep 19, 2009
Seems to be some and anger directed towards IB&C in here, I got my copy yesterday.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My FLGS had 25% off today, so after checking in with my GF (I'm on a game-buying ban so I don't spoil Christmas), I picked up Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for 31 bucks. I'm pretty excited, even though I probably won't be able to crack it open till after the holidays.

Also got a few more games of Temporum in and I really need to get some card sleeves sometime soon. I've also started to notice a strange tendency for people to stick to the left side of the board a bit more. I'm wondering if there is some sort of psychological effect from starting on that side. Maybe I'll try reversing all of the time levers for a few games and see if people stay more on the right side.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Millions posted:

Yes. The new expansions are literally Avalon + more.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Through the Ages or Nations? I know TtA is well regarding both here and in general but I figured I would ask the thread if they have any strong opinions towards Nations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yas posted:

Through the Ages or Nations? I know TtA is well regarding both here and in general but I figured I would ask the thread if they have any strong opinions towards Nations.

Last weekend I played Nations for the first time and really enjoyed it. It felt very streamlined and deep. I have played TtA a few times a few years ago and did not enjoy it at all. I liked Nations enough that I traded for a copy.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can anyone recommend some games good for 2 people, the other qualifier it being for my girlfriend and she isn't into nerdy stuff.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

goodness posted:

Can anyone recommend some games good for 2 people, the other qualifier it being for my girlfriend and she isn't into nerdy stuff.

Hanabi comes to mind for me immediately as an option. It's co-op, and it's theme is putting on a fireworks show, so not nerdy stuff at all. It's a bit more challenging with 2 players but is fun all the same. It's also super cheap which is a nice perk.

Speaking of, I picked up the Deluxe set at BGG Con last month (the tiles version). It's pretty amazing quality. If you're a big fan of the game and don't mind shelling out the higher cost, it's a really great version of the game.

I hear Hive recommended as a good 2 player game as well, but haven't had a chance to play it myself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

thespaceinvader posted:

Duly noted both, thanks. I was planning on using the flavour stuff because like most Vlaada rulebooks, these are great fun, and I can see it being very helpful. I'll skip the extra board for now then, but I'll probably leave in the expansion extra bits (buyers, cages, pets, artefacts etc etc) unless that just doesn't work out at all - the group picks things up quickly and unpicking what's what at this point sounds like a drag.

Lords is already looking like a weekend-only game, especially with the teaching time.

We'll be getting a game in before New Year, it looks like.
The issue with adding the cages/artifacts/additions is that the game is balanced on the fact that you always get all of the cages/artifacts/additions out. If you play with the extra board (and the extra turn), all of the stuff is shown. If you don't, the game will be slightly unbalanced if, for example, the high magic resistance cage doesn't even pop up. The extra Pets don't create this issue, but they are extremely fiddly to use because they have extra rules. As well as that, they are a lot harder to keep and can potentially destroy your shop (some of them, anyway) if you don't look after them properly. They are easy to split out though since you just find the ones with the extra need (or you can just ignore them when drawing new pets).

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 18, 2014

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Jaipur has often been mentioned as a two player game that's fun, easy to understand, and doesn't have nerdy theming, and I'd agree with all those. On top of that, it's pretty cheap. Hive, as mentioned, is a fun and satisfying abstract game, as is Tash-Kalar. I'm a huge fan of all three.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

The extra Pets don't create this issue, but they are extremely fiddly to use because they have extra rules. As well as that, they are a lot harder to keep and can potentially destroy your shop (some of them, anyway) if you don't look after them properly.

How can I not get this game to the table

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Aston posted:

How can I not get this game to the table

Say hello to Wreckie, Destroyer of Shops.

Whenever someone buys him there are always sharp intakes of breath, worried looks and prophecies such as 'Well, you had a nice shop until now...'

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

Say hello to Wreckie, Destroyer of Shops.

Whenever someone buys him there are always sharp intakes of breath, worried looks and prophecies such as 'Well, you had a nice shop until now...'

I was very keen on picking up Dungeon Lords (when the KS was running, I was tempted but think it came to £60-70) but had a worry about how to interest my friend to build a dungeon and fight off a D&D party. I had only heard Dungeon Petz by name and that name makes me think DS shovelware. I'm now starting to think that might be the one to get. I seem to remember Tepoko saying he enjoyed it more, but that was before he got his new shinies!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is Dungeon Petz out of print or due for a reprint I can't find it online. Alternatively my googlefu is a wreck at 5am.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

I was very keen on picking up Dungeon Lords (when the KS was running, I was tempted but think it came to £60-70) but had a worry about how to interest my friend to build a dungeon and fight off a D&D party. I had only heard Dungeon Petz by name and that name makes me think DS shovelware. I'm now starting to think that might be the one to get. I seem to remember Tepoko saying he enjoyed it more, but that was before he got his new shinies!
I bought Dungeon Petz before Lords so it holds a special place for me. I've said it in the past: I prefer Dungeon Lords the most overall, but I like Dungeon Petz + Dark Alleys over Dungeon Lords + Festival Season. Dark Alleys does add a lot to the game and really increases the risk/reward formula of the game.

The thing about Dark Alleys is that it has a lot of stuff (the new, more difficult to keep Pets, pets attachment etc) which makes it harder to look after pets, but also makes them more valuable in terms of points due to how the selling/exposition mechanism works. Sure, you don't HAVE to go for the risk, but if you plan well you will score a lot more points by taking (calculated) risks.

So although the expansion of Dungeon Petz does make things harder, you have to opt-in to the difficulty, meaning that if someone less experienced doesn't want to take on too much risk, he doesn't have to. Sure, he will still get beaten by a more experienced, adventurous player, but that's an issue with a lot of worker placement games.

The Dungeon Lords expansion, however, as good as it is, doesn't have this 'opt-in difficulty'. If you play with the expansion, everything will be harder for everyone.

DP is more about instant decisions and making good out of a bad situation. DL is more about planning and making sure that you don't enter resource spirals. They are both awesome in their own way, but as I have said to BL, my brain is wired in such a way that I'm better at DP than DL. In DP I regularly get high scores. DL, not so much.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also for people that said they didn't know where to put the special tunnels in the new DL Anniversary box, well, I just put them with the standard tunnels, there was plenty of space there.

I'm a bit annoyed that the monster slots in no way keep the monsters in if you even so much as tip the box. Also, no new art for the combat board!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Also for people that said they didn't know where to put the special tunnels in the new DL Anniversary box, well, I just put them with the standard tunnels, there was plenty of space there.

I'm a bit annoyed that the monster slots in no way keep the monsters in if you even so much as tip the box. Also, no new art for the combat board!

That's a shame, but the bigger shame is I don't have my copy yet.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
In an amusing sidenote to my boyfriend wanting to get cosmic encounter for christmas. Today a big box came and in it was the 1980 version of cosmic encounter. I'm not sure if I should be amused or horrified. Apparently the latest edition is sold out and someone ripped him off!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Yes. The new expansions are literally Avalon + more.

I'm pretty sure The Resistance is an elaborate troll.

By the way, played Avalon again last night, and Jesus is it way too confusing for non-gamers. I finally taught everyone in the group that Minions of Mordred was the red team, and ended up with a semi-compromised game where the Assassin thought she should put her thumb up for Percival, so Percival was confused by seeing three thumbs but was afraid to ask questions and blow the game. But even so, it's still the favorite game of about 85% of my friends (and "I refuse to play" to the other 15% including my wife).

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

In an amusing sidenote to my boyfriend wanting to get cosmic encounter for christmas. Today a big box came and in it was the 1980 version of cosmic encounter. I'm not sure if I should be amused or horrified. Apparently the latest edition is sold out and someone ripped him off!

1980 version comes with more Original Gamer cred. :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm pretty sure The Resistance is an elaborate troll.

By the way, played Avalon again last night, and Jesus is it way too confusing for non-gamers. I finally taught everyone in the group that Minions of Mordred was the red team, and ended up with a semi-compromised game where the Assassin thought she should put her thumb up for Percival, so Percival was confused by seeing three thumbs but was afraid to ask questions and blow the game. But even so, it's still the favorite game of about 85% of my friends (and "I refuse to play" to the other 15% including my wife).

I think you're teaching the game poorly. Try just saying the red guys are double agents and don't include any special characters, once they get the basics mechanics like voting down then throw in Merlin and the Assassin.