Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oracle posted:

Counterpoint: Percy Jackson, which is pretty mediocre.

Steals from Harry Potter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Greek and Roman mythology out the wazoo!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

UoI posted:

I was a little wrong about where I left off but I picked up the book today (finally!) and read more of chapter two with the conversation about Bilbo and Gollum's past between Frodo and Gandalf. I didn't learn much more than I already knew but it did finally clarify for me that it was the ring that made Gollum start with the throat noises and body changes. I was confused from the movies and thought that it was his family or tribe that did that because he said they cursed him in the prologue of RotK but I wasn't certain. So that's nice.

I didn't read much because it's late, but I left off at the point where Gandalf tells Frodo to attempt to destroy the ring. I'm hoping I'll find the time to read the last few pages of this chapter and a good chunk of chapter three.

Ahhh, good progress :) The movies do leave the origins of that tick ambiguous I agree.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HIJK posted:

Ahhh, good progresssssssssssss :) gollum, gollum. The movies do leave the origins of that tick ambiguous I agree my precioussss.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is a formula for determining the quality of any given fantasy work:

Good fantasy steals from mythology.
Mediocre fantasy steals from Tolkien.
Bad fantasy steals from D&D.

GRR Martin defies your formula; he steals from rauncy harlequin novels, norse sagas and dragonkin fanfics.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HIJK posted:

Ahhh, good progress :) The movies do leave the origins of that tick ambiguous I agree.

It's also one of those things that doesn't translate to actual live performance very well. Serkis interpreted it as a kind of hacking cough. Brother Theodore made it out like a weird muttering nonsense word he liked to say to himself when nobody was around. Peter Woodthorpe just said "gollum" as fruitily as possible, I guess making the best of it. I could never figure out from years of reading and re-reading the text exactly what Tolkien had in his mind when he came up with it. The best I could figure, he invented "Gollum" as a name first and then back-justified it as being derived from a noise he made, but then he never really tried to explain how the noise itself made sense as described (if he "gurgled in his throat" surely it would have been transliterated as something else, like "glglggllgl", and in any case why would he start making that noise out of all the noises to choose from?).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GyverMac posted:

GRR Martin defies your formula; he steals from rauncy harlequin novels, norse sagas and dragonkin fanfics.

Wasn't he vastly inspired by the French historical novel Les Rois Maudits (The Accursed Kings)?

At least that's what I hear over here, and what this article suggests.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Data Graham posted:

It's also one of those things that doesn't translate to actual live performance very well. Serkis interpreted it as a kind of hacking cough. Brother Theodore made it out like a weird muttering nonsense word he liked to say to himself when nobody was around. Peter Woodthorpe just said "gollum" as fruitily as possible, I guess making the best of it. I could never figure out from years of reading and re-reading the text exactly what Tolkien had in his mind when he came up with it. The best I could figure, he invented "Gollum" as a name first and then back-justified it as being derived from a noise he made, but then he never really tried to explain how the noise itself made sense as described (if he "gurgled in his throat" surely it would have been transliterated as something else, like "glglggllgl", and in any case why would he start making that noise out of all the noises to choose from?).

Well, Tolkien actually did a personal reading of the Riddles in the Dark chapter, which apparently states it's a swallowing noise. Anyway, if you want to hear (literally) from the original source, there you go (he's actually a good reader too).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still doesn't make a huge amount of sense. I don't get why a naturally-occurring swallowing noise would involve bilabials. If that's how he wants to describe it, fine, but it still sounds to me like he just liked the name and came up with the noise thing as a post-hoc justification.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Data Graham posted:

Still doesn't make a huge amount of sense. I don't get why a naturally-occurring swallowing noise would involve bilabials. If that's how he wants to describe it, fine, but it still sounds to me like he just liked the name and came up with the noise thing as a post-hoc justification.
It's pretty easy for me to make a nasty gulpy noise which could be rendered "gollum" in text, though it would require a little cleverness in orthography. Perhaps it was clearer in the original Quenya.

Didn't Tolkien once give a super stirring reading of Beowulf out of nowhere in one of his classes.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just read that Frodo is fifty-years-old. Trying to imagine a fifty-year-old Elija Woods. :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was inwardly amused when people started referring to pre-teen kids as "tweens".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

UoI posted:

Just read that Frodo is fifty-years-old. Trying to imagine a fifty-year-old Elija Woods. :v:

That whole sequence in the film where Gandalf leaves to go study the ring lore takes like 15 years in the book, too.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

That whole sequence in the film where Gandalf leaves to go study the ring lore takes like 15 years in the book, too.

I noticed that, too. Frodo is something along the lines of twenty when Bilbo decides to leave? I'm curious as to how Bilbo is with going so long without the ring when I get to Rivendell (if he's even in Rivendell in this book). Wether it'll be like the movie or if he'll be barely able to walk.

No spoilers please!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

UoI posted:

I noticed that, too. Frodo is something along the lines of twenty when Bilbo decides to leave? I'm curious as to how Bilbo is with going so long without the ring when I get to Rivendell (if he's even in Rivendell in this book). Wether it'll be like the movie or if he'll be barely able to walk.

No spoilers please!

It's Frodo's 33rd birthday (which the Hobbit equivalent of turning 18. Or maybe 21. Anyway, its a big Coming-of-Age milestone.)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

It's Frodo's 33rd birthday (which the Hobbit equivalent of turning 18. Or maybe 21. Anyway, its a big Coming-of-Age milestone.)

It's definitely his 33rd, because it's Bilbo's 111st, and together they are 144, which is the number of guests at the Party.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

It's definitely his 33rd, because it's Bilbo's 111st, and together they are 144, which is the number of guests at the Party.

Yeah, my parenthetical is comparing it to modern human age milestones.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, my parenthetical is comparing it to modern human age milestones.

Yeah, I see that now. Sorry.

Bilbo and Frodo are both 50 when their adventures begin. Frodo looks a lot younger though, due to the Ring's stretching him out the way it did Bilbo and Gollum.

Edit: the Old Took had lived to 130, and Bilbo would be 128 when Frodo set out.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

What always surprises me is how young the other hobbits are. Pippin wasn't even an adult yet, but even Sam and Merry were only like 36, which is barely adults.

The hobbits: one weird middle aged dude and a bunch of teenagers.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I saw the third Hobbit movie last night, and I just remembered something that's bugged me since I read the novels:

So by the end of the Hobbit, Galdalf knows that Bilbo has a magic ring that makes him invisible, right? But he doesn't suspect that it's The Ring until Bilbo has his freakout at the beginning of Fellowship. But there are only 20 great rings identified in the book iirc, and The One Ring is pretty distinct looking from the rest. So were there other, less powerful rings in Middle Earth? Who made them, and when? How many were made? And what issues did these relatively minor magic items have that prompted Galdalf's initial word of caution?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 18, 2014

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
In The Shadow of the Past Gandalf says he had suspected it was a lesser prototype ring made by the elves.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SirPhoebos posted:

I saw the third Hobbit movie last night, and I just remembered something that's bugged me since I read the novels:

So by the end of the Hobbit, Galdalf knows that Bilbo has a magic ring that makes him invisible, right? But he doesn't suspect that it's The Ring until Bilbo has his freakout at the beginning of Fellowship. But there are only 20 great rings identified in the book iirc, and The One Ring is pretty distinct looking from the rest. So were there other, less powerful rings in Middle Earth? Who made them, and when? How many were made? And what issues did these relatively minor magic items have that prompted Galdalf's initial word of caution?
In addition to the prototype thing, I think all of the Rings Sauron made were probably just golden bands - it's actually been theorized that the Dwarf-rings and the rings the Nazgul had were one and the same, they just had different long term effects on men vs. dwarves.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah, somewhere in Tolkien's writings he talks about how the Elves made lots of lesser rings while they were learning how to make the big ones. I suspect the issue would have been that to one extent or other all those prototypes may've been influenceable by the One Ring, though of course that wouldn't have been a big deal if the One remained lost.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Gandalf also trusted Saruman at that time, and Saruman was held in regard as the authority on Sauron and his works. Sarumon was vehemently insisting at that point that the Ring was lost forever at the bottom of the ocean (swept down the river into the ocean when Isildur died ), so that played a large role in Gandalf being slow to put the pieces together.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Levitate posted:

Gandalf also trusted Saruman at that time, and Saruman was held in regard as the authority on Sauron and his works. Sarumon was vehemently insisting at that point that the Ring was lost forever at the bottom of the ocean (swept down the river into the ocean when Isildur died ), so that played a large role in Gandalf being slow to put the pieces together.

And, of course, Gandalf's love of the halfling's leaf had clearly slowed his mind.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

HIJK posted:

In The Shadow of the Past Gandalf says he had suspected it was a lesser prototype ring made by the elves.

Adding to this, Gandalf also says that while these lesser rings were cast aside by the smiths once they learned from them, they were still very dangerous to mortals in his opinion. That's why he didn't leave Bilbo alone about it even though he didn't think it was the One.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are many magic rings in this world and none of them are to be trifled with.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks. It's been a long time since I read the books.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Levitate posted:

I think it's noted somewhere that Saruman searched extensively for the ring after the battle, like off and on for hundreds of years. I suppose that Gandalf and the rest of the wise assumed that with his resources it's probably pretty certain that if it was in or near the river he would have found it. Saruman didn't realize that it had left the river pretty soon after the battle and gone and hid under a mountain range.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 18, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is anyone in middle earth gay?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Baloogan posted:

Is anyone in middle earth gay?

You mean besides Frodo and Sam? or Gimli and Legolas?

quote:

Were There Gay Elves?
Why, certainly elves were gay. "Many Meetings" in FOTR clearly states that some were merry as children, while others…Oh. You mean homosexual elves.
To disappoint slash writers everywhere, there were no clear statements of elf homosexuality. There weren't even any unclear ones. The most suggestive elf/elf pair are Fingon* and Maedhros, rescuing each other and sending each other presents just because. (Narn i Hîn Húrin, UF) But even they have less eyebrow-raising stuff going on in 500 years than Sam and Frodo managed to pack into one day.
Although Tolkien never said that the elves DID have hot gay sex, he also never said that they DIDN'T. And I know what I make of that.
One last perplexing note from LACE is that Elves do not change sex, even if they are being reincarnated. But that's a whole other story.

http://www.ansereg.com/what_tolkien_officially_said_abo.htm

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Another movie-related question-Thorin somehow just knows that Bard killed Smaug. I assume that a line of dialogue got left on the cutting room floor, and it's not something stupid like Thorin having a network of animal friends or something.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
There's not even much evidence for straight people in the Middle Earth.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tolkien was very, very very Catholic. Like raised by a priest Catholic. If he could have reasonably swung it I'm pretty sure there would have been no sex at all in Middle Earth.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Speaking of weird questions, what do you guys think of the theory that Sam might not be white? He's described as having "nut-brown" skin in RotK (and probably elsewhere but I only remember that one), and Tolkien said that the Harfoots, which common consensus seems to think Sam is, had browner skin that other types of hobbits.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SirPhoebos posted:

Another movie-related question-Thorin somehow just knows that Bard killed Smaug. I assume that a line of dialogue got left on the cutting room floor, and it's not something stupid like Thorin having a network of animal friends or something.

Hah. Funny you should say that! Well, in the book . . .

An elderly talking raven, whose father remembered Thorin's father, comes and flies and tells Thorin. They left Ruarc son of Carc out of the movie? How on earth did they leave anything out at all with that running time?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I always thought that too. There are lots of hobbits like Sam who have dark skin. I like to take those passages and point them out to people who try to tell me that Tolkien hated brown people. Every person I've shown it to got really mad.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Heironymous Alloy posted:

How on earth did they leave anything out at all with that running time?
Lots of elf-inserts.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hah. Funny you should say that! Well, in the book . . .

An elderly talking raven, whose father remembered Thorin's father, comes and flies and tells Thorin. They left Ruarc son of Carc out of the movie? How on earth did they leave anything out at all with that running time?

Yeah honestly wtf 3 movies for the hobbit is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HIJK posted:

I always thought that too. There are lots of hobbits like Sam who have dark skin. I like to take those passages and point them out to people who try to tell me that Tolkien hated brown people. Every person I've shown it to got really mad.
It was a social signifier. Back in the day, if you were tanned it meant you worked outdoors and thus were some kind of field hand or manual laborer ergo less-than. If you had milky white skin and soft hands you could afford to sit around inside all day and do nothing therefore must be rich/upper class.

Ironically enough, it switched sometime in the Roaring 20s where office work/factory work all day made you pale and sickly while having the free time to lay in the sun and work on your tan meant life of leisure.