Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm pretty happy this game has mostly avoided the traditional fantasy females trap--most of the female leaders are dressed extremely sensibly, f'rinstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Between the succubuses and the bards and the storm sisters and the nymphs I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. "Traditional" is pretty on the spot.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, thankfully we're adding some female units in the next expansion that don't fit into the "Power through seduction" trope

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I just love how the thread devolved to :biotruths:, and that the developers are saying "I don't mind the argument, but read something else would ya?"

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
" Given that I’m posting in a thread called “The game needs A LOT MORE T&A”, I don’t think it is."

"please feel free to start a new thread with a new title, preferably one that isn’t so sexist it makes me cringe every time I see it."

I am genuinely eager for the sequel to that thread. I hope it can provide the same level of magical entertainment.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can you guys make nexus shitlord honeypot thread as a followup to this discussion?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Can you guys make nexus shitlord honeypot thread as a followup to this discussion?

You say that like there isn't already a new thread. By golly that discussion was important somehow.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where is a good place to snag multiplayer maps for this game

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

WYA posted:

Where is a good place to snag multiplayer maps for this game

Steam workshop. What kind of maps are you most interested in?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

madmac posted:

You say that like there isn't already a new thread. By golly that discussion was important somehow.

"But I like my Elf maidens dainty, fragile, and vulnerable and most in need of male protection – not robust and muscular (as they’d have to be to be a melee regular)!"

This is the thread that keeps on giving. May it never die.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Carnalfex posted:

"But I like my Elf maidens dainty, fragile, and vulnerable and most in need of male protection – not robust and muscular (as they’d have to be to be a melee regular)!"

This is the thread that keeps on giving. May it never die.

Tell me that isn't a real quote

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Carnalfex posted:

Thread title.

Also, developer person, introduce a dainty elf maiden character using with that forum username.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Carnalfex posted:

Steam workshop. What kind of maps are you most interested in?

Multiplayer maps for versus, stuff that is balanced and more directed than RNG maps

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Request to rename the thread "Dainty Goblin Maidens and Orcish Princesses in Distress.", TIA.

Please no, i like my thread title.

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, thankfully we're adding some female units in the next expansion that don't fit into the "Power through seduction" trope

This is good. AOW as a franchise to me has been a healthy (with some places tired and cliché; See the aforementioned "Power through Seduction" reference) take on fantasy and gender. In a magical setting where luck could dictate you have the powers to shatter mountains with a will and a word... having the gender politics of our world would feel out of place to me.

So yes, i am that guy, yelling about my immersion in videogames. :v:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 18, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

victrix posted:

Tell me that isn't a real quote

It was one of the first, if not the first, posts in the new sequel thread. I'm making popcorn right now, this is prime entertainment.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It was the second post, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned the third post yet

quote:

But yes, I like the overall idea – just don’t change traditional gender roles for Elves. You can have nasty Orc female melees or cannon fodder or what not. Just not my Elf maidens!

Beautiful

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Gerblyn, at least the fanbase for your game isn't star citizen's

Yes that is someone demanding realistic sodomy in their space pirate game.

WYA posted:

Multiplayer maps for versus, stuff that is balanced and more directed than RNG maps

Sulanar is one of the few mapmakers that actually makes maps for people to play instead of trying to recreate middle earth or china or warhammer or whatever the hell.

He's done mostly coop but he has at least a couple FFA, I think he would do more if people show interested. I know he mentioned doing coop specifically because of the explosive positive response he got for it compared to competitive oriented maps.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 18, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm thinking about giving this a try. Anyone know of coupons or promo codes?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Can we talk about party robots? I'm dissapointed that Party Robots aren't available for Halfling Dreadnoughts to build.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I'm thinking about giving this a try. Anyone know of coupons or promo codes?

Well, the steam winter sale is in a couple days, right?

Party robots?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dreadnought engineers are support units. Why don't get the racial benefits from Draconians and Halflings? Where are my firebomb-throwing/singing engineers?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

Party robots?

Party Robots were a campaign only unit in Golden Realms. Golems with Party Hats, Food Dispensers, and Fireworks. (AKA the best thing ever.)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lobsterpillar posted:

Can we talk about party robots? I'm dissapointed that Party Robots aren't available for Halfling Dreadnoughts to build.

Everyone is :( I argued so hard for it, but I was overruled.

Carnalfex posted:

Party robots?

They're in the first map of the Halfling campaign, one of my favorite bits of dialogue in the whole thing.

I was under the impression the steam sale started today...

Finally, I'm so tempted to change the lore text for the Warbreeds to imply that they're all females.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Finally, I'm so tempted to change the lore text for the Warbreeds to imply that they're all females.

The best developer.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Gerblyn posted:

Do this and I will never not buy any game you guys put out.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gerblyn posted:

Everyone is :( I argued so hard for it, but I was overruled.

Randomly assign genders to all the non-humanoids

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

You're a good person. :unsmith:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Look at it this way, Gerblyn: now you don't even need to wait for people to make asses of themselves, you can just ban everyone who posted in that thread.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Lets be positive here, this is the perfect opportunity to set up an official forums helldump

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Lets talk about more exciting things, like holiday presents!

http://ageofwonders.com/holiday-gift/

Aw, Triumph, who told you I wanted new hats for Christmas?

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
YESSSSSSS MORE HATS

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gerblyn, have you considered selling the hats? It's worked quite well for Valve.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, I got so excited when I saw the patch. because I thought they stealth released the expansion.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Considering how much their forum dwellers bitched when they dared to charge money for the last expansion their heads would probably explode if they put a price tag on hats/clothes/hair/faces.

So what I'm saying is you should definitely do this.

edit: I would really love a menu option that let me make leaders without having to start a game (and also use them as sidekick heroes). Making heroes is so much fun!

Time to bring the seasonal cheer.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 18, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is Anti Aliasing fixed on this game yet?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Carnalfex posted:

edit: I would really love a menu option that let me make leaders without having to start a game (and also use them as sidekick heroes). Making heroes is so much fun!

There already is one. In the main menu, next to your username is a down-pointed triangle. clicking on it opens a drop-down menu, one of whose options is "edit leaders". That opens the screen with the exiisting leaders, and ant the bottom of that screen is a button to "customize new" leader. Edit2: this is on Steam, if that matters.

Edit: while I'm posting, let me just say that I've been having fun customizing leaders. I went and impulse-bought the game on a sale, figuring that it'd still be there when I upgrade my computer. But lo and behold, my integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE from 2004(!) can actually run the game. Everything except the music lags terribly, so it's not all that playable. But it runs. Take that, minimum system requirements! So yeah, customizing leaders is pretty much all I can do, but that's still fun. And when I finally get a new computer, then my spare time will go poof. It'll be glorious :allears:.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 18, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Caustic Soda posted:

How to play pretty princess dress up all day

Thank you! I never noticed this.

What was wrong with anti aliasing?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
FULLY ENCLOSED HELMETS AND HOODS. :stare:

This is just what I wanted for Christmas. :neckbeard:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wish there was a Good Guy lookin' helmet, but these hoods are dope as hell. What a nice surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Grondoth posted:

I wish there was a Good Guy lookin' helmet, but these hoods are dope as hell. What a nice surprise!

Hoods can be for good guys! Also there are already shiny crowns and tiaras and wreaths of flowers and all sorts of happy looking things.

Still, I will never complain for more cosmetics. If I could add custom leaders to the list of hireable sidekick heroes I would probably spend half my time in the game just playing with the character creator.

• Locked thread