Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah, I've also finished the game, including the 'bullshit' category where I just gave up and was like, whatever, looking up a faq. So I'm waiting for the puzzles to actually come up in vids before talking in any more than totally vague terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Liver
May 4, 2009

If someone actually does figure one of these out on their own, I will be stunned. It's a very specific one that I think is actually impossible without help ... but hey, we'll get to that.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

frozentreasure posted:

I've gotten the video edited and just need to do commentary, but is nobody but Stelas interested in the puzzles? I get wanting to talk about the ending, but I would've thought there'd be a bit more talk of the puzzles, with how obvious some of them are. At the moment, you would only need to figure out two puzzles to win, too.

I think a lot of us have played the game already, and I'm getting the vibe that the puzzles left a bad taste in our mouths to one degree or another. Someone's already outright said "the game's clever but not as clever as it thinks it is" and there's not a whole lot beyond that to even really say about some of these puzzles. Some of them the solution is just "think exactly like Phil Fish from the get-go."

Me_Game
May 21, 2010

Alas, poor Johnny! I knew him, Mark, a fellow of infinite greetings, of most questionable fancy. He hath pet me on my head a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My dick rises at it.
Yeah the only "puzzle" I ever solved while playing the game myself (I gave up before 32 cubes) was the alphabet, which someone has already posted. And that didn't solve anything for me as none of the foreign language speakers revealed anything that seemed secret. I did feel very smart for getting it though. I'm loving the LP, but even watching the videos again the best I can do is recognize when something is a puzzle.

Like I'm pretty sure we'll fly at some point. That was hinted enough.

There was that room where every time you pressed a direction or button it showed a symbol on a glowy light. Those symbols show up in many rooms sometimes in what seems to be an order. I would always try pressing them in what I thought the order was but it didn't seem to do things when I played, so that didn't seem to be it.

There were those things that look like block pushing puzzles?

QR codes.

I think I've accepted I'm not smart or dedicated enough to figure these solutions out, which is why I'm looking forward to seeing them shown off!

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

As I don't own a QR capable device, I really hoping those QR codes wouldn't be needed for puzzles. Are any of the other puzzles unsolvable without outside information?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Deathwind posted:

As I don't own a QR capable device, I really hoping those QR codes wouldn't be needed for puzzles. Are any of the other puzzles unsolvable without outside information?

http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Deathwind posted:

The QR code is a shortcut. There's another way to get the same reward, and fortunately more in line with the rest of the puzzles.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think a lot of us have played the game already, and I'm getting the vibe that the puzzles left a bad taste in our mouths to one degree or another. Someone's already outright said "the game's clever but not as clever as it thinks it is" and there's not a whole lot beyond that to even really say about some of these puzzles. Some of them the solution is just "think exactly like Phil Fish from the get-go."
That was me, and I feel bad now. My comment was less about the puzzles themselves (although there are certainly some bad ones) and more about the way some of them get overused.

As a sort of self-penance, I'm going to recommend my favourite puzzle in the game (if only to give people a specific target, at least), and one of the first I solved. It's a smart little puzzle, but also a self-contained one that requires no knowledge beyond the game's core mechanics. Check out video 3 at around the 3m50 mark. No hints, just have a think about what you might need to do.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 18, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Paul.Power posted:

Check out video 3 at around the 3m50 mark. No hints, just have a think about what you might need to do.

That was one of the first puzzles I solved and I liked it.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Check out video 3 at around the 3m50 mark. No hints, just have a think about what you might need to do.

Is it as simple as stacking the blocks to make the shown shape in every perspective?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Mmm, I've played this game and have been watching the video, but can't really comment on the puzzles.

Some of them were pretty neat and intuitive, and I ended up solving them pretty quickly. Others... not so much. I ended up using a guide for some, and I don't feel like I missed out on the experience. It was more like "Ok, so this is what the game wants me to do... but that sounds really long and boring. I know what it wants me to do, the puzzle is 'Solved' let's just look up the details."

One of the last ones I found is something I'm wondering how Frozen is going to show us...

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Deathwind posted:

Is it as simple as stacking the blocks to make the shown shape in every perspective?
That's certainly what the goal is. There's a neat twist in how you get there though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Well, I've solved everything previously, so I'm keeping silent on them now. But I will say that a lot of the puzzles require you to feel things out for a bit until you start to get a grip on what the expected solution is. For example, the skulls in the graveyard: If you don't realize they can be turned, you're not going to solve the puzzle. If it's you playing the game, you can just try it and once you realize you can, the rest is figuring out what the game wants you to do with that. You've been skipping over everything relating to puzzles to such an extent that people might be wary of assuming something you just ran past might be a puzzle since they don't have the opportunity to poke around with it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
This LP inspired me to get back to my game of Fez, and I got all the achievements and then corrupted my 360 save. I won't say I understood a good half of the puzzles though, they were the reason I quit in the first place and I didn't have the patience to actually solve them, so I consulted a guide that told me the solutions without telling me how they were puzzle solutions. :eng99: So I basically didn't earn a good 1/4 of the game.

I'm interested in seeing them actually solved, and hopefully some more translations.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You've been skipping over everything relating to puzzles to such an extent that people might be wary of assuming something you just ran past might be a puzzle since they don't have the opportunity to poke around with it.

Fair enough. Have this for a starting point, then.

Think of every room that I went in where it was pretty clear that there was more to do with, yet I walked out. You've mentioned two of them so far. That you have seen in the videos, there are a total of five, one in three areas, two in one area, and none in the industrial zone. Everything you need for those rooms is right there, I really don't think they're too obscure.

For anyone who wants to try their hand at something more advanced, take a good, long look at the bell.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also, since we can't personally interact with the puzzles, we won't know what works/doesn't.

The open ended ones I don't even know where to begin with.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
I would comment more on the puzzles myself, but I watched about... six episodes? of this, tried my own copy of FEZ on this laptop, gave up and borrowed my brother's Vita which has it on there. Wound up grabbing all of the blocks, save two very specific ones (avoiding even talking in spoilers on that but you can probably guess which two if you've played this) without too much fuss, and... I've got a lot to say on the puzzles but unfortunately a lot of it would be spoilers at this point.

I will say that, if I recall right, you've given the tools to decode one of the most common puzzle types already - or at least shown where you would learn how to decode it, I don't recall if you did everything you would need to to demonstrate it but all it'd take is a quick backtrack there. And for the people that stumbled on them but couldn't get them to work, one of the classrooms demonstrates the proper method of reading them.

Thanks for the LP - I will say I definitely enjoyed this game, but honestly I'm liking the LP as much if not more so.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Just off the top of my head:

* Wait for the clock to hit a certain time
* On multiple facings? One cube for each face?
* In the room off of the observatory, do a dance that matches the symbols you saw in the sky. The 'slideshow' created the same symbols the observatory showed
* The bell had four symbols on it. Four numbers? Hit each side the number of times shown?
* QR code. I'm hoping one of the other ones gives you a QR code reader and this game isn't that dumb. Read the QR code, go to website, website gives you a cookie, game checks for that cookie and gives you a cube.
* Room with the tetris blocks: Use the four cubes to make the shown tetris blocks. Either one cube for doing all of it, or four different cubes
* That island that seemed to have nothing on it: Use sewer to lower the water level, and possibly other water-level-lowering things. There'll be a door there with a cube in it. Can't be a cube itself, there's no shine to it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think I'm most curious about how to lower the water level. It's always seemed an obvious possibility, but I never figured out how.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

On another note, if anyone likes this game's soundtrack (and I hope you do, because it's lovely), you might also enjoy Aphex Twin, a highly influential electronic composer from the 1990s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHkUg-QCwkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z4cLmbw6q0

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The biggest thing I have taken away from this LP is that the game should have been split in two. A platformer and then if you finish, a puzzle game.

Just watching along as a platformer only, this is an impressive game.

As a puzzle game, not so much.

SPOILER THINGY REMOVED

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 19, 2014

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I enjoyed the puzzles far more than the platforming actually. Sure a bunch of them are just decoding puzzles which are kinda repetitive but I enjoy doing those anyhow and I have a long history of cheating when puzzles reach levels of bullshit that I can't handle. So I don't even feel bad going to google for some of the harder solutions.

By contrast the platforming was too easy to be enjoyable. It was just sort of an exploration thing with no challenge to it, not really my style.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, the way frozentreasure has been doing this could potentially be a little misleading: in a typical first playthrough, you would end up having solved maybe 50-70% of the puzzles by the time you reach the ending the first time, if you stop and make an effort whenever you encounter something that looks a little mysterious. Even if you blaze through the game, I'd say you're perfectly capable of solving some puzzles almost by accident. Playing it this way, avoiding every single puzzle and making it to the end with the 32 cubes and nothing else, is actually pretty irregular.

The remaining puzzles though, hoo boy. Some of them are real doozies and require a lot of intuition, attentiveness and plain old thinking.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Agent355 posted:

By contrast the platforming was too easy to be enjoyable. It was just sort of an exploration thing with no challenge to it, not really my style.

I'm not sure all the platforming was meant to be difficult. Take the 'elevators' - not hard at all, but cool as hell. Given how forgiving the platforming is in Fez (with one exception we haven't seen yet :argh:), I think that was the intent. The platforming is there as a mechanism for exploration of the world (and getting to the puzzles.)

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, the way frozentreasure has been doing this could potentially be a little misleading: in a typical first playthrough, you would end up having solved maybe 50-70% of the puzzles by the time you reach the ending the first time, if you stop and make an effort whenever you encounter something that looks a little mysterious. Even if you blaze through the game, I'd say you're perfectly capable of solving some puzzles almost by accident. Playing it this way, avoiding every single puzzle and making it to the end with the 32 cubes and nothing else, is actually pretty irregular.

I'm not sure about that 50-70% number as typical, that number probably works if you have been actively trying to solve all the puzzles you can - for instance, you'd probably have to keep going even if Dot told you that you had enough cubes to open the 32 cube door. I'm not sure how common that is, since once you open it, you're given an ending.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

monster on a stick posted:

I'm not sure about that 50-70% number as typical, that number probably works if you have been actively trying to solve all the puzzles you can - for instance, you'd probably have to keep going even if Dot told you that you had enough cubes to open the 32 cube door. I'm not sure how common that is, since once you open it, you're given an ending.

Well, that's what I did, at least. Why? Well, I can't really explain in detail without spoiling future videos. Let's just say that when that door opened it was clear there was more to find, which was enough for me to not want to go in there just yet in case it turned out to be a point of last return.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I just kept going when doors opened up because I was too busy exploring and puzzling. I probably saw the ancient area when it opened, and didn't get around to the rest until the 32 cube door was already open. "Yeah I'll check that out when I'm done."

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
That ending was interesting. I assume it is a "bad" ending, or incomplete?

The whole "zooming in to see the building blocks of the universe" sequence was really pretty.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Speaking as someone who hasn't played the game, the reason I'm not solving puzzles in the thread is because if I wanted to solve the puzzles myself, I'd go buy the game and play it instead of watching this LP. Especially considering that FEZ is 75% off right now with the steam winter sale!

But since it's not my kind of game, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the chill.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

I'm not sure all the platforming was meant to be difficult. Take the 'elevators' - not hard at all, but cool as hell. Given how forgiving the platforming is in Fez (with one exception we haven't seen yet :argh:), I think that was the intent. The platforming is there as a mechanism for exploration of the world (and getting to the puzzles.)

Sure, the platforming definitely wasn't meant to be difficult. Which has the side effect of making it not very compelling. I understand why the developer made it the way he did but it doesn't appeal to me personally on it's own. Thats why I had way more fun puzzle solving. I actually really like this game but this LP hasn't shown the reason I like it at all, so far.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The remaining puzzles though, hoo boy. Some of them are real doozies and require a lot of intuition, attentiveness and plain old thinking.

I think I got about 25% puzzle completion or so first playthrough, but I went straight for the 32 door when it opened and didn't backtrack to some of the puzzles I could have. 50% still seems high unless you ignore the 32 door, though.

Since I didn't know the game had a point of no return, I kinda figured I'd be able to come back for stuff.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Torokasi posted:

I think I got about 25% puzzle completion or so first playthrough, but I went straight for the 32 door when it opened and didn't backtrack to some of the puzzles I could have. 50% still seems high unless you ignore the 32 door, though.

Since I didn't know the game had a point of no return, I kinda figured I'd be able to come back for stuff.

There are puzzles you can't solve anyway until NG+. Getting more than 32 cubes doesn't make a difference for the regular NG ending, since you have to revisit a bunch of areas to solve puzzles. Arguably it makes NG+ a bit more fun since there's still exploring to do as opposed to shlepping back to the sewers or something.

There is a good reason to solve at least one puzzle before you enter the 32 cube door though, that will become obvious in probably the next episode or two.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think I got somewhere in the 40's when I headed for the door, and that was after completing a few of the puzzles. Some of them are straightforwards, simple, and accessible enough that most people would complete them during a normal playthough. These are the ones that you can tell are puzzles just having watched the LP.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
I noticed one thing about the clock that I wanna poke at. It has hands that exist in 3D space, not going around in a circle. I noticed that it had red, green, and blue hands which is modeling shorthand for X, Y, and Z. I bet you have to switch faces so the hands rotate until they point in the right axis and it does a thing.

Also, apparently FEZ is on sale for pretty drat inexpensive right now! Picking up a copy because of this LP.

A Frosty Beverage fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 22, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

A Frosty Beverage posted:

I bet you have to switch faces so the hands rotate until they point in the right axis and it does a thing.

That would have been way cooler than what we got.

Agent355 posted:

Sure, the platforming definitely wasn't meant to be difficult. Which has the side effect of making it not very compelling.

Fez is too easy, Hell Temple is too hard; just no pleasing some people.

Several people posted:

Something along the lines of the puzzles not being clear and you skipped over them too much so we don't know what we could even do and it's all so confusing, etc.

It's come across in the thread to me like the people who've played through the game have been feeding a misconception many people who haven't played the game have: that the game's puzzles are all really obtuse and require a certification in cryptology to decode, involving paying attention to the most minute details, a la La-Mulana (in particular, the Chamber of Birth and Gate of Illusion, both of which we will never speak of again).

That's the case for exactly one puzzle, and I think you're all getting the obtuse nature of that confused with the rest of the game. And two or three easter eggs. Most of the puzzles in the game are still very straightforward and clear, and I don't just say that as someone who's beaten the game. I looked up the answers for all of the easter eggs and several of the harder puzzles on my first playthrough of the game when it came out, but I got most of the cubes on my own steam. There really isn't a lot you can do to mess around with the puzzles to try things out, save for two puzzles that involve picking up and rearranging blocks, both of which are going to be solved in this video; just looking at any given room or area from all four sides gives you most, if not all of the information you need to solve its puzzle.

What I will admit is that by almost never checking the map, none of you who aren't already aware will know what rooms do and don't have puzzles, and in that case it can be annoying to be asked to solve puzzles when you don't know where they are; failing on my part. For the most part, if you look at something and think "that looks a bit out-of-place, what's that?" or "hey, I've seen that before", chances are good that there's a puzzle there. Or if I looked at it, went "hmm…anyway", and walked off.

Honestly, I guess I'm just surprised that after the 12th video, no one had anything to say about the very conspicuous room I spent a good couple of minutes in.

In any case, merry Christmas and happy holidays! As my gift to you, it's time to get started with…

NEW GAME PLUS - PUZZLE MODE GO!

I might redo the commentary, but I'm not sure. Also, sorry if the relaxing nature of the LP kind of…stops at this point.

And yes, I'm going to cut out most, if not all of the travel between destinations following this video. The point here was to show just how quickly you can get around in NG+.

Part 14: The First-Person You Think Of

I rewatched the other Fez LP and was bummed that they made a Future's So Bright reference; I honestly thought I'd be able to say it. To make me feel better, if someone makes an appropriate Deal With It GIF, I'll buy you an avatar for Christmas.

See y'all in the new year.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Holy poo poo. I never knew about that feature.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The clock tower and the QR codes are two of my bigger problems with the puzzle part of the game (again, there are plenty of good puzzles, like the "make tetris pieces" one and the "conductor". Even the nets of cubes one is fine, although if you don't know that there are only eleven nets of a cube and you're looking for the eleventh, then it gets a lot tougher). I still haven't done the day or week cubes on the clock tower on sort of "general objecting to this silly mechanic" principles, my Fez file is stuck at 62 cubes and anti-cubes.

Meanwhile, the QR codes are problematic for a few reasons - perhaps the biggest one being that you can can deny yourself the satisfaction of solving the puzzles they're connected to. In fact, since the game itself doesn't know whether you've read the code or not (and I think you can input the QR code solutions regardless of where you are in the game?), you can easily "solve" a puzzle just by dicking around rotating a room and lucking out on the correct sequence (which I managed to do with at least one of the puzzles with a corresponding QR code).

e: VVVVVV good guess with the clock tower, by the way.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 22, 2014

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Wow. And these are the obvious cubes? And one of the makes you wait a week?!

This game is much more rude than I gave it credit for.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
For most of the codes, you need to be in a specific room for them. I think the QR codes only work in the QR room and the room with the other solution.

The tuning fork was the one I was hinting at earlier - No way to show off that you get a sound/controller reaction to it without standing on it for a time, which would draw too much attention in an LP.

And yeah, I never knew about the other feature of the glasses... luckily, you don't need it to 100% the game, but it would have been useful...

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Valgaav posted:

Wow. And these are the obvious cubes? And one of the makes you wait a week?!

This game is much more rude than I gave it credit for.

Well, to be fair, it is really obvious how to get the clock tower cubes -- if you've ever spent more than a minute in that level, that is.

I'm not saying that it isn't a pretty bad puzzle, mind you. That's some lazy as heck design right there.

By the way, have I mentioned that I'm really enjoying this LP? Because I'm really enjoying this LP. It is very well done, and this video is no exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Elfface posted:

For most of the codes, you need to be in a specific room for them. I think the QR codes only work in the QR room and the room with the other solution.

The tuning fork was the one I was hinting at earlier - No way to show off that you get a sound/controller reaction to it without standing on it for a time, which would draw too much attention in an LP.

And yeah, I never knew about the other feature of the glasses... luckily, you don't need it to 100% the game, but it would have been useful...
Oh right, yes, I was thinking about the QR code that's on one of the maps (I don't think that's a spoiler, IIRC we've seen that map?). That one can be solved (or lucked into) anywhere.

Also, forgot to say: fantastic job with the picture-in-picture, frozentreasure. The game may have some issues, but the LP is still going strong :).

• Locked thread