Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's a pity none of the DLCs added a way to legit change your name (and maybe your face? yeah it doesn't make much sense in-game but neither does a transgendering coffin)

I don't want to risk hellbanning just to CE my name to something else :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it'd be nice if NG+ let you remake your character instead of just entirely skipping that part

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Cardboard Box posted:

one of the times i was invaded was in the middle of the Duke's Dear Freja encounter in NG+

That's pretty horrible. I hope you killed him/them,

I got hit in Alda's Keep right before the dragon. I missed the bonfire and I didn't want to die. I bit the bullet and ran to the boss and won!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I made a PVP vidya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-b5TkR0sto

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Watrick posted:

That's pretty horrible. I hope you killed him/them,

I got hit in Alda's Keep right before the dragon. I missed the bonfire and I didn't want to die. I bit the bullet and ran to the boss and won!

nope i panicked and got killed by freja hahah

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Cardboard Box posted:

nope i panicked and got killed by freja hahah

Boo. Better than giving him the satisfaction of the kill :).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Whoa whoa whoa you can get invaded during Freja?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
He's not talking about the boss fight. :v:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Demon of Song is real.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Whoa whoa whoa you can get invaded during Freja?

In NG+ one of big changes was an encounter with Freja before the boss arena. It's one of like three changes that aren't just black phantoms placed somewhere. It's pretty cool.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I want to make a character that is a "Bellbarian". I would have the chime shield, the chime hammer, and that bell helmet, but am wondering what armor I should use, any ideas?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You either have to go rotund, or minimalist, depending on if you want to be more bell like or more barbarian.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

In NG+ one of big changes was an encounter with Freja before the boss arena. It's one of like three changes that aren't just black phantoms placed somewhere. It's pretty cool.

yeah i really wish there were more big changes like that. :( it was really surprising at the time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't remember this at all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I want to make a character that is a "Bellbarian". I would have the chime shield, the chime hammer, and that bell helmet, but am wondering what armor I should use, any ideas?

bellkeeper diaper, and nothing else.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

skasion posted:

bellkeeper diaper, and nothing else.

What he said. also I'd say Watcher's Shield instead of the chime shield since it dings when you block or parry a hit.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So I beat the game closer to initial release and had to play with keyboard and mouse... Which wasn't too bad. I recently got a ps4 and decided to use the controller with ds4 input.... My god, the difference. I feel like I'm playing Dark Souls proper.

I decided to replay with a fresh character, because my main dude just started ng+... How hard is it to get to the new areas? Base game areas are so... Quiet :(

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One is behind the boss at the bottom of the well in majula, one is after the old iron King, and the other one you have to open the path to the castle drangleic. I'd say they're basically in that order of difficulty to get to. They're all pretty tough though and you might want to wait until you're past drangleic castle or have just opened it up before.

However honestly you could probably go straight into each of them with your guy on NG+. Sure it's a little tougher but it's not anything INSAAaAaANe

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It's worth noting that there's no enemies between the entrances to the new areas and their first bonfires, so after beating The Rotten, for instance, you can just run into Shulva and light the fire there to make it easy to get back to when you're ready for it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

To be fair, there are no enemies between the bonfire and Rotten either (though there are some poison statues), and there's only one enemy between the bonfire and OIK. Returning to the Shrine of Winter does involve getting past a bigger number of dudes though, although you should be able to trivially outrun all of them except maybe the last one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vil posted:

To be fair, there are no enemies between the bonfire and Rotten either (though there are some poison statues), and there's only one enemy between the bonfire and OIK. Returning to the Shrine of Winter does involve getting past a bigger number of dudes though, although you should be able to trivially outrun all of them except maybe the last one.

I don't think you're getting what he was saying.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think you're getting what he was saying.

Oh, I got it, I'm just saying that if you didn't do that and decided to make the run back later, it's not all that big a deal.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's worth noting that there's no enemies between the entrances to the new areas and their first bonfires, so after beating The Rotten, for instance, you can just run into Shulva and light the fire there to make it easy to get back to when you're ready for it.

Just don't fall off the cliff or get invaded.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Alright so I just started getting into this game, never played Dark Souls 1 because the PC port was terrible and was unplayable on my computer. That said I have a bunch of newbie questions:

1. What stats should I be focusing on (I'm a knight) early on? I've looked up builds but they don't make much sense to me.

2. When do you start getting new equipment outside of that one shop in Majula? I've been running around in my starter gear for a while now. Any early game sets I should be looking for?

3. Are two-handed weapons any good? I've seen some player ghosts run around with one and a shield. Can you actually do that, and is it a good idea?

4. If I had to choose one or the other, should I spend souls to level up or buy better equipment?

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 18, 2014

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Neo_Crimson posted:

1. What stats should I be focusing on (I'm a knight) early on? I've looked up builds but they seem don't make much sense to me.

STR/DEX (pick one, depending on whether you want to focus on heavy or fast weapons early on) and END, maybe a bit more ADP if you feel like your roll speed isn't very good.

Neo_Crimson posted:

2. When do you start getting new equipment outside of that one shop in Majula? I've been running around in my starter gear for a while now. Any early game sets I should be looking for?

There's a blacksmith in Majula as well who has some good weapons, and the Majula armorer gets more armors as you progress. Most armors you just have to go out and find though. There is a decent heavy set past the second boss in the Forest.

Neo_Crimson posted:

3. Are two-handed weapons any good? I've seen some player ghosts run around with one and a shield. Can you actually do that, and is it a good idea?

You can two-hand any weapon, and probably should unless the one-handed moveset is way better. You usually need high STR to use a big weapon and a shield, and shields aren't really necessary in most situations.

Neo_Crimson posted:

4. If I had to choose one or the other, should I spend souls to level up or buy better equipment?

Upgrading weapons you like > upgrading stats > buying equipment

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Neo_Crimson posted:

Alright so I just started getting into this game, never played Dark Souls 1 because the PC port was terrible and was unplayable on my computer. That said I have a bunch of newbie questions:

1. What stats should I be focusing on (I'm a knight) early on? I've looked up builds but they seem don't make much sense to me.

Adaptability. It increases your Agility and every 5 Agility your roll gains an iframe (yeah you have an iframes stat, it's stupid). If you're new to the game then try to get that to 20ish as a priority.

quote:

You find weapons here and there but this isn't Final Fantasy, there's no sliding scale of "good" or "bad" weapons. Weapons have different styles, go for whatever suits you. Since you're rolling as a Knight then stick with plain old sword and shield I guess. It's more important to pick one or two weapons you like then dump all of your smithing materials into upgrading it.

After you defeat the outdoor boss in Forest of Fallen Giants, there's a hole you can fall down to get the Drangleic Set, but it's basically the "I'm a noob" set. Like it comes with a 100% shield but it's really heavy, whereas there's a large leather shield nearby with a 90% block rating and much lower weight and stat requirements, and there's very little practical difference between 90% block and 100% block. Essentially it looks a lot better than it is but eh, it works.

quote:

Two-handing can be useful in certain situations. It halves your strength requirement to wield a weapon, so if you want to start wielding the really heavy poo poo then that can be a good shortcut. Generally it'll make your weapon hit harder but slower, and also enables you to parry with most weapons, but parrying takes a huge amount of practice to get good at.

quote:

Prefer upgrading your equipment. Don't level up beyond the minimum stat requirements to wield a given weapon (e: until you get much further into the game and are close to maxing your weapon's upgrades out), but put some points into Vigor (HP) and Endurance (Stamina). A few, like maybe 10, not a shitload, and not immediately.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

1. What stats should I be focusing on (I'm a knight) early on? I've looked up builds but they don't make much sense to me.

1: Your class has nothing to do with how you want your character to turn out. Classes literally just determine your starting stats and equipment, so do whatever you want. That said, if you want a basic experience, just crank up your VGR/END/VIT and decide if you want to use STR or DEX-based weapons. Be sure to raise your ADP so you get better Agility, which determines the speed that you use items and how effective your dodging is (you always want it at a multiple of 5. 105 is the best place to stop at for end-game). If you want to dabble in magic, I'd recommend FTH-based miracles since they're the easiest to use and most broadly applicable, because they're usually support spells. If you've cleared Heide's Tower of Flame, talk to the cleric lady for some good starter spells. She moves to the rotunda at the bottom of the stairs in Majula if you exhaust her dialogue.

2: Most equipment is found on corpses and in treasure chests rather than from shops. However, Maughlin's shop upgrades the more souls you spend with him, and he ends up with some pretty nice armor (including boss-themed sets) at his third and final level. What kind of armor you wear isn't terribly important, just as long as you do wear armor. I'd recommend basic plate armor like the Knight sets.

3: You can use any weapon in the game one- or two-handed, and you can swap between things on the fly. If you have 150% the requirements for a weapon, you can even double up and dual-wield them by equipping a weapon and another one of a similar class in each hand, and then holding down L1/LB Triangle/Y until your character's stance changes slightly, and then using the L1/L2 for special dual attacks. Weapon selection is totally up to you, and to be honest, the entire point of the game. Figure out what you like and use it! If you just want a broadly effective basic weapon to start with, you can't go wrong with any of the blacksmith's selection, as he sells the 'basic' weapons from most of the categories.

4: Upgrading your weapon > leveling critical stats > upgrading other equipment. Generally you want to just find something and stick with it, because the game doesn't work like regular RPGs where certain equipment is just flat-out better than others (hell, the standard Mace and Longsword are some of the best weapons in the game) and you constantly need to swap out gear. Moveset and versatility often trump raw damage. If you need to change specializations or defenses, though, you should look into swapping out rings before any of your other equipment. Elemental Defense rings in particular can really help soften the blow of certain attacks.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 18, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alabaster White posted:

3: You can use any weapon in the game one- or two-handed, and you can swap between things on the fly. If you have 150% the requirements for a weapon, you can even double up and dual-wield them by equipping a weapon and another one of a similar class in each hand, and then holding down L1/LB until your character's stance changes slightly. Weapon selection is totally up to you, and to be honest, the entire point of the game. Figure out what you like and use it! If you just want a broadly effective basic weapon to start with, you can't go wrong with any of the blacksmith's selection, as he sells the 'basic' weapons from most of the categories.

It's actually Triangle/Y, not L1/LB. You hold the same button you press to hold a weapon in two hands (the special dual wield stance is entered the same way you two-hand your LEFT-HANDED weapon.)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

It's actually Triangle/Y, not L1/LB. You hold the same button you press to hold a weapon in two hands (the special dual wield stance is entered the same way you two-hand your LEFT-HANDED weapon.)

Er, that's what I meant. You press L1/L2 to actually use the special power-stanced attacks, not to prime them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Started a mage run, which i think i never did before.

I'm kinda lost on how to level up. I stacked intelligence up the rear end (up to 45 now) and attunement to get four spell slots.

Should i just stack intelligence as much as possible?

What weapons can i get that scale off magic? I'm running around with a magic stick on the left hand and a dagger on the right since i haven't put a single point in STR or DEX :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mans posted:

Started a mage run, which i think i never did before.

I'm kinda lost on how to level up. I stacked intelligence up the rear end (up to 45 now) and attunement to get four spell slots.

Should i just stack intelligence as much as possible?

What weapons can i get that scale off magic? I'm running around with a magic stick on the left hand and a dagger on the right since i haven't put a single point in STR or DEX :v:

INT to 50, ATT to whatever the hell you want, get a Clear Bluestone Ring +2 and whatever casting speed gear you can get. Get the Blue Flame and make it Magic, and then enchant it for extra fun :v:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just to add to the advice about gear that people have already given, you do not need to be in any hurry to switch from your starting gear. Equipment generally doesn't get better in this game, it just gets more specialized or more exotic. There are several weapons in the starting weapon shop that are frequently cited as the best weapon in the game. Particularly worth trying out are the longsword (very quick and extremely versatile, your damage will be middle of the road, but you have many ways to hit things without them being able to hit you), the mace (fast and capable of dealing huge damage, but short ranged and awkward to use), the rapier (the ultimate boss-killer and very effective against lightly armored NPC type enemies, but very tough to use well against extremely agile opponents or groups) and the estoc (lower damage than the rapier, but also lacks its weaknesses because of the more versatile moveset).

skasion posted:

You can two-hand any weapon, and probably should unless the one-handed moveset is way better. You usually need high STR to use a big weapon and a shield, and shields aren't really necessary in most situations.

I will disagree with the point about shields. If it turns out you really like huge weapons like the greatsword with very high strength requirements, it might be better to just stay two-handed and avoid the investment. But in most cases, a shield is a very important and useful tool, especially for new players. You can't rely on a shield to win every fight for you, but they will give you a lot more time to wait and find out how enemies attack and how to dodge them. When you already know what everything will do, you don't really need a shield. But before you know that, a shield is a big help in finding out. Even if you do know all the enemies, depending on your play style and what you're fighting, you might well prefer to use a shield over two-handing in most encounters. What's more, for a lot of weapons, the one-handed moveset and two-handed moveset are quite different and are both useful. The longsword's movesets, for example, are both very good in different situations. If you're not using both of them regularly, you're not using the weapon to its full potential.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can't talk about newbie friendly weapons and leave out the spears. You can attack while maintaining your shield up, you have great reach and your attacks wont hit side-walls in tight places.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mans posted:

You can't talk about newbie friendly weapons and leave out the spears. You can attack while maintaining your shield up, you have great reach and your attacks wont hit side-walls in tight places.

I don't get why people talk up the shield poke. It's really bad. Poor enough damage you're much better off just blocking and then doing a regular r1.

Not that spears are bad, of course. The regular spear/partizan are also really good since their r2 attacks do strike damage (also side note: all spear rolling attacks also do strike damage).

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I don't get why people talk up the shield poke. It's really bad. Poor enough damage you're much better off just blocking and then doing a regular r1.

Not that spears are bad, of course. The regular spear/partizan are also really good since their r2 attacks do strike damage (also side note: all spear rolling attacks also do strike damage).

Phalanx style shield poke is very situational but it's a nifty trick for a newbie run.

I used a shield + winged spear (with a falchion as a fallback weapon) for my first run, along with a shortbow (later a composite bow) to plink things down from a distance. It's a well-rounded setup.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Shields are also great for when you just don't want to waste time dodging trash mobs. Just let them bounce off and kill them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Flytrap posted:

Shields are also great for when you just don't want to waste time dodging trash mobs. Just let them bounce off and kill them.

In that case run past them instead, it keeps your SM low and you don't have to spend any time dealing with them.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Honestly I quite like the moveset of the knight's starting weapon, the broadsword. Straight swords in general are pretty good all-rounders. The fire longsword you can find in the forest can easily take you through pretty much the entire game if you upgrade it, and you can always change its infusion later if you decide to go heavy into faith or some such.

Mace is probably best as far as weapons you can get early, though. Mace breaks face.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bear in mind that some bosses have grab attacks that can't be blocked, and they usually really hurt and inflict bad status effects on you as well. Don't try to shield-tank Pursuer when his sword turns blue, for instance, or you'll get a nasty surprise.

Also yeah, your first time through a level there will be fog walls and closed gates and the occasional red enemy that's basically a hostile AI player. These things all gate your progress through the level. After you get killed by a boss the first time though, dodge past all the trash enemies. This is easier to do in some places than others, and occasionally you need to open a shortcut in order to facilitate it (e.g. the door to nowhere in Lost Bastille), but there's only one place I can think of where this straight up doesn't work (the spear assholes who are fixed in place right outside the Undead Crypt boss door). Otherwise you're going to waste more time/lifegems/frustration/SM getting back to the boss over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
If you've never Souls-ed before, don't worry about SM (Soul Memory), and feel free to stop and kill trash as much as you want. Don't stop to farm 'cause leveling up a bunch does not help in the same way it does a Final Fantasy or whatnot, but when I started out in DS1 I'd kill trash on runs back to a boss to get practice with the combat system. Either way is cool though; whenever ya feel like sprinting through stuff, go for it.