Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

madpanda posted:

I picked up a ZZ dvd set on ebay, it has horrible subtitles so I'm guessing its bootleg. This was from a US seller. Is there anyway to tell legit sets from fake?

It's bootleg. I have the same set. ZZ doesn't have an official English set yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

madpanda posted:

I picked up a ZZ dvd set on ebay, it has horrible subtitles so I'm guessing its bootleg. This was from a US seller. Is there anyway to tell legit sets from fake?

ZZ Gundam isn't even out on DVD in the US yet. Best way to check is to look for information about the legit set and compare a few things. I wouldn't be surprised if your bootleg is fewer discs than what the eventual ZZ Gundam set will have, and it's probably also region-free to boot?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

madpanda posted:

The best way used to be number of episodes on disc, legit DVD usually have five at most, bootlegs will have 9 or more in shittier quality, at least they used to haven't seen a bootleg DVD in years. Also, no official US release is a big give away. :v:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
G episode 41

IT'S A ROBOT!!! ASH IS A GODDAMN ROBOT!!!

I swear things make less and less sense in each passing episode.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

ImpAtom posted:

It's bootleg. I have the same set. ZZ doesn't have an official English set yet.

The last time I ordered a set off ebay was a sweet deal on Seed and Destiny. However this was apparently like a month or two after Destiny had ended so the subs for both shows were horrific. Still, every few episodes would have coherent words in them (although many names for one place like Orb, orubu, aubu, auroburorur).

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Ka0 posted:

G episode 41

IT'S A ROBOT!!! ASH IS A GODDAMN ROBOT!!!

I swear things make less and less sense in each passing episode.

Whenever you notice something like that, a wizard Devil Gundam did it.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
If you're getting a Gundam dvd set for a reasonable price it's probably a bootleg.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kingtheninja posted:

The last time I ordered a set off ebay was a sweet deal on Seed and Destiny. However this was apparently like a month or two after Destiny had ended so the subs for both shows were horrific. Still, every few episodes would have coherent words in them (although many names for one place like Orb, orubu, aubu, auroburorur).

Man at least those are just bad romanizations of a noun and not the Chinese translation's names for stuff like an old X bootleg I watched a decade ago.

"Shenwei! You're breeding!"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Not Dave posted:

If you're getting a Gundam dvd set for a reasonable price it's probably a bootleg.

I find it hilarious that a comic shop I went to had a G-gundam box set sitting there for like 2 years. Two weeks after Bandai entertainment closed they doubled the price to like a 100 bucks. Because now I'm sure that will make it fly of the shelves.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

The Berserker thing borrows from Four and Stellar too. There's also elements of both in her meeting with Reiji.

I just imagine Reiji finally somehow watching Gundam and like whenever characters like that come on, he glances over at Aila with increasing paranoia and confusion

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Argh, everything about the Thrones in Gundam 00 is so stupid, I hate it. I was enjoying the series up until this, too.

Edit: Dynames is so cool though... :allears:

edit for episode 20: They really didn't have to maim/kill all of the interesting side characters to let us know how bad the bad guys are.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 18, 2014

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i...

i dont think ill be able to watch this reconguista in g anymore because I can't loving stand raraiya. Every minute shes on the screen she brings the entire loving show down:bang:

JAPAN, RETARDED GIRLS ARE NOT CUTE

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Raraiya is a god drat treasure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Race Realists posted:

i...

i dont think ill be able to watch this reconguista in g anymore because I can't loving stand raraiya. Every minute shes on the screen she brings the entire loving show down:bang:

JAPAN, RETARDED GIRLS ARE NOT CUTE
how is she retarded

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So a while back I decided "I'm going to watch all the gundams. All of them." I made it to ZZ. I gotta say, the original gundam still holds up really well in terms of characters and story and it's probably my favorite gundam series now. I liked Z well enough, but ironically hated Kamille and just constantly wished bad things would happen to him because he was pretty much just a constant rear end in a top hat. Then the sudden tone shift for ZZ threw me off and I didn't finish it. I guess what I'm trying to say is the Zeta Gundam has a really ugly looking face and now that I have more free time I should probably watch more gundams except for any of the billions of SEED spinoffs. I hated Gundam SEED and I always seemed to catch episodes of it when it aired.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fat and Useless posted:

Raraiya is a god drat treasure.

And now, the following message:

Let's  All  Love  Raraiya. 

Raraiya.  Raraiya.  Raraiya. 

Funfact abour Raraiya: She got her name because Tomino was zoning out during one day of production and was just staring at a calender on the other side of the office for a while.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 18, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bellri was supposed to be Beryl, but Tomino misremembered and thought it was Bellri halfway through the scriptwriting and decided to stick with the new name because he could shorten it to Bell.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nuebot posted:

So a while back I decided "I'm going to watch all the gundams. All of them." I made it to ZZ. I gotta say, the original gundam still holds up really well in terms of characters and story and it's probably my favorite gundam series now. I liked Z well enough, but ironically hated Kamille and just constantly wished bad things would happen to him because he was pretty much just a constant rear end in a top hat. Then the sudden tone shift for ZZ threw me off and I didn't finish it. I guess what I'm trying to say is the Zeta Gundam has a really ugly looking face and now that I have more free time I should probably watch more gundams except for any of the billions of SEED spinoffs. I hated Gundam SEED and I always seemed to catch episodes of it when it aired.

Finish ZZ. It's a fun show, and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Zeta. Zeta has Katz. gently caress Katz. Katz was the single worst Gundam character until Girard Spriggan.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Endorph posted:

how is she retarded

seriously?

she has brain damage, instead of potraying her in a tragic light as theyve done with other characters in the past who suffered from this (e.g. Tem Ray, Fuala from V Gundam) they try desperately to make her the breakout character

She's annoying. She's very, very annoying.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Race Realists posted:

seriously?

she has brain damage, instead of potraying her in a tragic light as theyve done with other characters in the past who suffered from this (e.g. Tem Ray, Fuala from V Gundam) they try desperately to make her the breakout character

She's annoying. She's very, very annoying.

Get this: She actually is the breakout character. :twisted:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i just have a real low tolerance for that poo poo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Finish ZZ. It's a fun show, and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Zeta. Zeta has Katz. gently caress Katz. Katz was the single worst Gundam character until Girard Spriggan.

I agree, but at least he died. gently caress him. How is ∀ Gundam? I ask only because I play a mobile gundam game and there's a ∀ Gundam event going on right now and turns out, I really like the turn-x design but know literally nothing about the show.

Also since I have a lot of free time for a bit I probably will burn through ZZ now that I'm not so burnt out on gundam as a whole. The transition from the grim ending of Z to the peppy ZZ threw me for a loop the first time is all.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Turn A Gundam is the best Gundam. Like, the animation quality, the character/mech designs, and especially the music are all aces. It is the metaphorical and literal end to all Gundam shows. It has themes that are consistent with the rest of the franchise but has a setting unique to itself. Essentially, it takes place during a Victorian-like era of industrial revolution following from catastrophic events later to be uncovered in the Dark History. The only bad thing I can really say about Turn A is that it's 50 episodes long. It does benefit from the more Gundam you watch before it, but if you pursue ZZ first that's another 50 episodes on top of it. ZZ is a pretty new experience at first but it eventually falls back in line with a tone closer to Zeta. I personally thought the show picked up at that point, but if you find yourself tired of traditional Gundam, give Turn A a go.

That said, one of the best mobile suits from the show is based off of one that originated from ZZ.

edit:

VVV :laffo: No one has complained about that stuff in like 20 or so pages. G-Reco, from what I have read, has been consistently really good for the past few episodes.

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Race Realists posted:

i just have a real low tolerance for that poo poo

I stopped watching after episode 4 or 5 I think. Is what's-her-face still crying every episode and has anything happened or been revealed?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I stopped watching after episode 4 or 5 I think. Is what's-her-face still crying every episode and has anything happened or been revealed?

It's the best gundam show since Turn A, but it isn't as good as Turn A.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Which other gundams are good. If I go with ZZ I might as well watch the rest of universal century. I've seen Wing and G already. gently caress seed I've seen bits of that and it plagues one of the few translated Super Robot Wars games. Geeze I guess that just leaves X, 00, Turn A and AGE?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

0080 and Turn A are the good gundams.

G is nice but not as great as Giant Robo, from the same director.

I've never seen X but some people really like it so maybe it's good?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The trilogy of the original series movies is nice too, I forgot.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Age is awful. Go back a few pages and look at a few of those nice cuts, but it is a garbage show. 00 has a really strong first season and is often praised for being a better version of Wing. Still haven't made it through X and don't really feel motivated to. BlitzBlast will tell you everything that is nice about the show though.

Char's Counterattack rounds out the end of early Universal Century, and I still really like it. Yutaka Izubuchi needs to do more work in Gundam.

Such as 0080, which is also fantastic and is timely during the holiday season.

Unicorn is gorgeous, but apparently has some writing quirks down the road.

Late UC is marked with F91, a bad movie that got robbed and could have been a great series, and Victory, which has some really bad writing in it but also some genuinely awesome moments in it and generally has really unique and creative combat choreography even in the monster-of-the-week fights.

Gundam Build Fighters is also a thing that exists. It's a dumb show that has a few rocking fights and some funny Gundam in-jokes here and there.

Definitely watch CCA, 0080, and Turn A.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Victory makes you sad for a variety of reasons, chief among them just how cheap characters' lives are in it. I really didn't take a happy ending away from Victory, personally, even if the potential for one is there. It's a darker series, and just kinda sad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I like X a lot but I can't honestly tell you it's good. Its entire first half is a bunch of self-contained episodes and arcs, and by the time stuff finally starts happening it almost immediately segues into monster of the week stories so everybody can get their Gundams upgraded. Once things move into space the story really gets going, but around that point X got canceled so it ends soon afterwards. The ending itself is handled pretty well, but you can totally tell it's rushed. Throw in the generally lacking animation (the Gundam X's satellite cannon sequence is animated correctly once) and rather poor battle choreography, and you can definitely see why a lot of people don't even bother making it all the way through. Also, bad VAs.

Now with that all said, X has a generally likable cast (which is remarkable for Gundam), serves as an interesting contrast to the main UC series (both in its general optimism and in its treatment of Newtypes), features one of the more interesting narratives IMO, and the aforementioned self-contained episodes are actually pretty solid and do a lot to flesh out the cast. Also the mech designs are really great, and Dreams is the OP all Gundam OPs aspire to be. And hey, it's pretty short.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 18, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Yes and yes.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Dreams owns.

BlitzBlast posted:

the Gundam X's satellite cannon sequence is animated correctly once

Okay what's the deal with this. Could they not just recycle the footage from the first time like I assumed they did? Was it not right the first time? :psyduck:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I just finished G Gundam.

I didn't like it that much but I can see the appeal.

I'm going to start watching AGE now. I'd like to form my own opinion.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Ka0 posted:

You can't say we didn't warn you.

You can't say it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Iserlohn posted:

Okay what's the deal with this. Could they not just recycle the footage from the first time like I assumed they did? Was it not right the first time? :psyduck:

and then the panels flip around, the gun's handle pops out, and the barrel extends.

Basically the X's Satellite Cannon mechanism was too complicated for the animation budget. Aside from the initial firing in episode 1, all subsequent shots (including the famous one in Garrod's first battle!) cheat and don't have the solar panels on the back move up to the X's shoulder. Instead they just unfold on the back and the cannon magically moves to the shoulder.

There's a reason the DX just has its solar panels unfold!

EDIT: Hell, one of the major changes Mao made to the GX Maoh was to modify the backpack so that it'd be easier to animate.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 18, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ka0 posted:

I just finished G Gundam.

I didn't like it that much but I can see the appeal.

That is a fitting punishment for not liking G.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I was with G right until it turned into corrector yui/saint seiya in the end. I gave it a fair shot, I went in with super robot expectations (which is to say none at all).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken is still amazing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
I watched the first third of AGE since I'm almost out of gundams to watch. It was mostly pretty boring and usually insipid, so I assume it gets full dumb deeper in.

It was better when Woolf was always showing up Flit, but I guess they couldn't keep the protagonist so incompetent the entire way (so having him immediately become hyper-competent in the space of one episode was the right solution).

So I decided to go to Dragonar for a while and that's a much better Gundam.

• Locked thread