Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Len posted:

First fight or second? Because if the second it's way easier to use Nikita Missiles.

You can use stingers for the first but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to have them there and only get them if you cheat but I might be remembering wrong.

First one. Nikita missiles are greyed out. Don't have stingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Do you have the infrared/night vision goggles (can't remember what they're called)? that makes spotting her a loooot easier.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you have the infrared/night vision goggles (can't remember what they're called)? that makes spotting her a loooot easier.

Spotting her wasn't the problem; her breath gives her away well enough. The problem is whenever she moves, it takes me about 7 seconds to get the crosshair centred, within which time she usually shoots me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Back on the subject of front-loading game content--I just beat Darksiders 2, which I wouldn't have gotten in the first place if it wasn't on Games for Gold. I was turned off because of the whole 14-year-old "Duuuuuuude, you're DEATH, and you've got TWO scythes, and you've got a weird arms-held-back anime ninja run" etc., but it turned out to basically be a more violent Zelda. I'm on my NG+ run right now and I love playing it, the story can eat a fat one though.

But god drat did they front-load this. When I finished the Forge Lands and saw there were at least 3 other portals to unlock, I was like "holy poo poo I'm only a quarter through the game? Amazing!" And then the kingdom of the dead ended up having about the same amount of stuff to do, maybe less. But then you get to Lostlight, and it's literally a canyon leading to the Spire (which is a mini-dungeon leading to two other dungeons: Earth and that other ruin you explore). Shadow's Edge, same thing--a canyon leading to a mini-dungeon and a regular dungeon.

Also, the bosses! The first two areas of the game have some really cool and interesting fights, then you get to the last few and it's "Fight this big dude with a pattern." I killed the last boss so quickly and easily that I was positive it was going to be a multi-stage fight, but nope--I whacked on the guy for a minute or so, and then the first guy I killed in the game babbled at me a bit and Death sacrifices himself while the Crow soundtrack plays in his head, probably.

The first time I finished the second world, I was thinking "oh sweet that's probably 50% of the game, I've got at LEAST that much ahead of me," now I'll know "okay so now I'm about 3/4 done with the game"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

but it turned out to basically be a more violent Zelda.

No no no. Darksiders 1 was a more violent Zelda, Darksiders 2 was just a shittier Diablo clone.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Darksiders 1 is also a fantastic game. I've beaten it a bunch of times because it's just so drat fun. Darksiders 2 I gave up just after the Earth segment because that poo poo was really terrible.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

A lady in Undead Nightmare even blamed the zombies on the government. Although, I think it was meant to be taken as a joke given how much they beat you over the head with it in the main game.

Well technically, it was, just the Mexican government. :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 1 is also a fantastic game. I've beaten it a bunch of times because it's just so drat fun. Darksiders 2 I gave up just after the Earth segment because that poo poo was really terrible.

man gently caress the earth dungeon.

*run 10 yards*
inception noise BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
fight a dozen minions and either a big fiery bomb guy or a giant creature, all of whom are trivial if you're still using one of the guns you can only use here
repeat infinity times

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I got Darksiders 2 on Xbox Live as well and I think it looks beautiful but the gameplay wasn't quite compelling enough to keep me interested so when I got to the tree of life or whatever and got to a different hub area with portals I took a break. Good to know I've got some epic stuff to look forward to when I go back :v:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The soundtrack is dope. I'm never going to play a Darksiders because lol that aesthetic. I own the soundtrack though. Jesper Kyd is great.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

kazil posted:

Every goddamn RPG these days thinks they are being oh so clever and meta about having a giant rats in the basement quest. Guess what guys, it's still cliche even if you acknowledge the cliche.

In The Bard's Tale, the first thing you're sent to do is clear rats out of a basement. Then it turns out it's a giant fire-breathing rat and it kicks your rear end before you run back, a little charred. I thought that was done pretty well.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Finally got around to playing Metal Gear Rising and there are way too many instances of "open door, listen to codec for several minutes, walk down empty hallway, open another door, listen to codec again."

Also, the Monsoon boss fight was total bullshit. Once I died enough to figure out his patterns I was able to clear it, but it took me forever and really killed the flow of the plot coming off that awesome "The Ripper Returns" scene right before. You see Raiden turn into a terrifying badass in the cutscene and then get his rear end handed to him in the actual fight until trial and error gets you through an hour later. Really killed the mood.

All that aside this is a loving amazing game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Back on the subject of front-loading game content--I just beat Darksiders 2

While I completely agree with you, I should point out that this came out right when THQ was falling apart so who knows what happened to their budget during production.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

Finally got around to playing Metal Gear Rising and there are way too many instances of "open door, listen to codec for several minutes, walk down empty hallway, open another door, listen to codec again."

Also, the Monsoon boss fight was total bullshit. Once I died enough to figure out his patterns I was able to clear it, but it took me forever and really killed the flow of the plot coming off that awesome "The Ripper Returns" scene right before. You see Raiden turn into a terrifying badass in the cutscene and then get his rear end handed to him in the actual fight until trial and error gets you through an hour later. Really killed the mood.

You can use chaff grenades to gently caress with his electronics and skip a lot of the tedium of the fight, which I didn't figure out until I checked a guide even though the bits of rubble that you cut up drop them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

man gently caress the earth dungeon.

*run 10 yards*
inception noise BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
fight a dozen minions and either a big fiery bomb guy or a giant creature, all of whom are trivial if you're still using one of the guns you can only use here
repeat infinity times

It's a good level if you've got a lot of frustration to take out and want to just spray an area with bullets instead of trying to be the slightest bit tactical about it. I managed to stick with Darksiders 2 until the boss fight with the portal thing and then I just couldn't take it anymore.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Morpheus posted:

In The Bard's Tale, the first thing you're sent to do is clear rats out of a basement. Then it turns out it's a giant fire-breathing rat and it kicks your rear end before you run back, a little charred. I thought that was done pretty well.

And giant isn't dog-sized giant rat like most games, it's elephant-sized.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Inco posted:

Spotting her wasn't the problem; her breath gives her away well enough. The problem is whenever she moves, it takes me about 7 seconds to get the crosshair centred, within which time she usually shoots me.

I found switching out of the scope and moving a bit then re-aiming made things a lot faster. YMMV, of course.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

muscles like this? posted:

While I completely agree with you, I should point out that this came out right when THQ was falling apart so who knows what happened to their budget during production.

To be honest I don't mind that the pacing accelerates after the Land of the Dead. Those first two worlds are loving huge. It's possible for a game to be too long and Darksiders 2 would have definitely qualified if the other two areas were as big.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I liked Darksiders 1 a whole lot.

I thought Darksider 2 was passable.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Esroc posted:

Sorry Monsoon was the best boss fight in that game and that game had lots of great boss fights :colbert:

You can also fast forward through all the codecs because there is no reason to care about the story in MGR:R

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
About 14 pages back folks griped about Bungie being terrible at bosses. That wasn't always the case.

Casualties!

For content gently caress GTA5's inability to crouch whenever you want. God it drives me crazy, in GTA4 I'd regularly use slopes in the road and various objects as serviceable cover by controlling my line of sight with targets. Cars explode, I shouldn't always have to run all the way up to it to use it as cover because sometimes that's a liability when I have to run from it. I have literally no idea why sneak isn't also a crouch. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Also that loving "kill flash." Drives me crazy and sucks me out of the immersion, wish there was a way to turn it off. I like the way the euphoria engine doesn't always make it obvious you killed a target (as was the case in GTA4,) sometimes dudes end up running away wounded and that's fine enough victory for me. Especially in a game where certain missions have you shooting so many goddamned people (with astonishing ease) that it gets old. Rockstar again having big, lush, creatively thought-out worlds where your means of interaction is murder or brief minigames. I'd say that was my issue with Red Dead Redemption but the plot and writing seemed critical of it: John Marston is good at doing what he's told and killing lots of people, others know this and poo poo on him for it constantly. By the end even though I had a "good" rating he still the bogeyman of that universe, this murder-specter who tried his hand at killing everyone he met but wasn't personally invested until he was helping an "anthropologist" murder Native Americans en masse for the feds. Then at the end he's killed for being a murderous tool and meets his end pretty much without surprise. Then you learn his son is Orlando Bloom, which is ok I guess.

Oh also the huge HERE'S AN ITEM icons in Mercenaries 2 drove me nuts. Larger battles would leave my screen saturated in awful GUN HERE! icons and there was no way to turn it off. In most cases when you shot and enemy at close to medium range the moment he died his model would be obscured by an icon. I stand by my love of the original, and I still play it, but Mercs 2 was sloppy design and squandered potential. Also it tried way too hard to have 'tude when the original was straight faced explosive fun.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The new Tetris on the PS4 has severe stuttering and framerate errors.

How on earth do you gently caress up Tetris, its a game designed to run on decades old soviet computers. loving Ubisoft just doesn't give a poo poo about quality control anymore.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Alteisen posted:

The new Tetris on the PS4 has severe stuttering and framerate errors.

How on earth do you gently caress up Tetris, its a game designed to run on decades old soviet computers. loving Ubisoft just doesn't give a poo poo about quality control anymore.

Ubisoft Tetris you say? Do you build Tetris towers to reveal the map and then take over Tetris strongholds to make the area friendly and buy Tetris maps to show you where all the treasures in the area are?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Xenogears is a really loving good JRPG, which is a genre of games I usually have a bit of trouble getting into. It's probably my favorite, I really dig the story, insane as it can get. But Disc 2 is kind of lovely. In a JRPG where I actually enjoy the gameplay, I would have liked there to be more of that in the last ten hours of the game rather than long plot summarizations and cutscenes. On one hand, they couldn't really do anything about it for budget reasons, but on the other hand, goddammit man learn how to manage your budgets.

kazil posted:

there is no reason to care about the story in MGR:R

This is factually incorrect.

The Colonel has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Dec 18, 2014

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Morpheus posted:

I liked the one in Oblivion, where you go to the house fully ready to take out the rats in this woman's basement and find out that no, she wants you to defend her pet rats.

From a bunch of mountain lions that keep getting into her basement.

You can even ask her "Wait, you don't want me to kill the rats?" and she looks at you like you're an idiot and responds "No! They're my pets!"

The best part is that, IIRC, her sister hired the player character of the previous game, Morrowind, to do the whole 'Clear out the basement rats' thing.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

The Colonel posted:

This is factually incorrect.

Eh, I'm kind of torn about the plot.

On the one hand it shows us the tech we saw developed and refined over the course of sixty years worth of plot culminate in its natural conclusion of a crazy as gently caress future where cyborgs, AI's, and giant mechs are almost passé. I really dig the world they've built with Rising and hope we one day get a traditional Metal Gear game set in it, even if it's a different protagonist.

But on the other hand Etsu Tamari's story is so cliché that I can't believe Kojima signed off on it. It removes just about everything that makes Metal Gear what it is and substitutes it for a run-of-the-mill "chase down the bad guy, save peoples" plot with little depth beyond Raiden questioning the real reason he became a crazy techno ninja with a super blender powers.

I did, however, appreciate that Raiden straight up cuts a little kids head clean off just to kill the guy standing behind him, and the next scene immediately after that is all "It's totally cool, we just plugged his noggin' into a robot. He's fine." Like it's totally not a big deal that the hero of the story just decapitated an eight year old.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Pocket Billiards posted:

I liked Darksiders 1 a whole lot.

I thought Darksider 2 was passable.

Honestly I liked and hated different things about each one.

DS1 was tighter and more fun to explore, combat was a little too repetitive but the atmosphere was great and the story, while cheesy as hell, was kind of fun. Overall I was left wanting more. Zelda with god of war combat was a great idea and they fell just short.

DS2 was way bigger but suffered pacing problems. If the two first worlds had been smaller it would have been great and there are just too many fights with too much padding. They took all their ideas and stretched them too far, the worst offender being the earth section with the turrets. Then the final 3rd of the game was obviously heavily cut. But Death was more fun than War, the game felt like the appropriate scope as opposed to DS1, dungeons were smarter and the soundtrack was incredible. I also loved how much more mobile Death was compared to War.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I finished it a couple days ago, and Shin Megami Tensei IV, is a pretty great game. But, it reached a point where its own advancements in playability actually surpassed much of the trademark Megaten difficulty.

For those who haven't played it, they've done away with fusion demons getting some random skills from their components; instead, you get to choose from every single skill that the component demons had. Additionally, the player character gets skills through the Demon Whisper system, where demons who've learned all their skills can teach him any one you want (with some exceptions). Conceptually these systems are just fine, but in practice--and especially in tandem--they really hurt the game's difficulty.

A crucial, understated element of Megaten's difficulty is compromise; you will never be perfect. Your demons, and your player character, will have flaws. Maybe their stats are poo poo, maybe their skill selection is bad, maybe their weaknesses are too great. And while you could spend hours painstakingly engineering a perfect demon, the intention was always for you to just deal with it. And when you're facing Grand Lord Lightningfuck and realize that most of your heavy hitters are weak to electricity, and your player character might be resistant but he's sure as hell not gonna have the firepower to take it himself, that's when the real difficulty of the series comes.

But SMTIV alleviates so much of that. It's so trivial to build exactly the moveset you want, and then fuse it onto a demon that can take what you're up against. The soul of the Megaten difficulty is still there, and you can really see it when you're caught off-guard and unable to compensate, but the game gives you so much aid that you rarely have that issue.

And in a completely unrelated note, they brought on a new demon designer for IV. And while some of his designs aren't great (personally I think he did really well, although there's some misses), I think his greatest issue was taking some of them in a direction that just didn't work with the actual story. SMT's angels have always had some great mechanical looks to them, going along with Law's goal world often being sort of a 'perfect machine' utopia. SMTIV's story goes to loving town with it, introducing a potential Law-won world killed by religious Daleks, and the final dungeon being full of angels spouting divine ultimatums in an overtly robotic manner. But the new demon designer goes in a different way with the angels he got his hands on; his angels are actually organic, albeit in twisted, misshapen ways that come right out of the Old Testament. They look great, but with the story finally playing up the 'angels=machines' angle, they're actually letting it down.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

Eh, I'm kind of torn about the plot.

On the one hand it shows us the tech we saw developed and refined over the course of sixty years worth of plot culminate in its natural conclusion of a crazy as gently caress future where cyborgs, AI's, and giant mechs are almost passé. I really dig the world they've built with Rising and hope we one day get a traditional Metal Gear game set in it, even if it's a different protagonist.

But on the other hand Etsu Tamari's story is so cliché that I can't believe Kojima signed off on it. It removes just about everything that makes Metal Gear what it is and substitutes it for a run-of-the-mill "chase down the bad guy, save peoples" plot with little depth beyond Raiden questioning the real reason he became a crazy techno ninja with a super blender powers.

I did, however, appreciate that Raiden straight up cuts a little kids head clean off just to kill the guy standing behind him, and the next scene immediately after that is all "It's totally cool, we just plugged his noggin' into a robot. He's fine." Like it's totally not a big deal that the hero of the story just decapitated an eight year old.

The story is great because it's taking the piss out of Metal Gear Solid by being so openly stupid. Usually the MGS games are a mishmash of goofy and self-serious, full of soliloquies about war and technology and all the enemies and heroes alike having tragic backstories that they constantly agonize over but also poop and boner jokes, here Raiden's entire arc is learning to dehumanize himself and face to bloodshed and the enemies are hilariously, cartoonishly evil to the point where they're butchering orphans in the name of returning to THE GOOD OL' DAYS AFTER 9/11 and they turned the much-criticized nanomachines plot from MGS4 into a punchline to explain why Dick Cheney is the final boss.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Dec 18, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Polaron posted:

I liked the one in Oblivion, where you go to the house fully ready to take out the rats in this woman's basement and find out that no, she wants you to defend her pet rats.

From a bunch of mountain lions that keep getting into her basement.

You can even ask her "Wait, you don't want me to kill the rats?" and she looks at you like you're an idiot and responds "No! They're my pets!"

The best part is that, IIRC, her sister hired the player character of the previous game, Morrowind, to do the whole 'Clear out the basement rats' thing.

There's also a weirdly powerful rat in Lazare Milvan's House in Skingrad. It was apparently put there for testing purposes and just never removed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The story is great because it's taking the piss out of Metal Gear Solid by being so openly stupid. Usually the MGS games are a mishmash of goofy and self-serious, full of soliloquies about war and technology and all the enemies and heroes alike having tragic backstories that they constantly agonize over but also poop and boner jokes, here Raiden's entire arc is learning to dehumanize himself and face to bloodshed and the enemies are hilariously, cartoonishly evil to the point where they're butchering orphans in the name of returning to THE GOOD OL' DAYS AFTER 9/11 and they turned the much-criticized nanomachines plot from MGS4 into a punchline to explain why Dick Cheney is the final boss.

Yeah you have to have something wrong with you not to enjoy the plot of MGR

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Xenogears is a really loving good JRPG, which is a genre of games I usually have a bit of trouble getting into. It's probably my favorite, I really dig the story, insane as it can get. But Disc 2 is kind of lovely. In a JRPG where I actually enjoy the gameplay, I would have liked there to be more of that in the last ten hours of the game rather than long plot summarizations and cutscenes. On one hand, they couldn't really do anything about it for budget reasons, but on the other hand, goddammit man learn how to manage your budgets.
Also there are some really, really bad dungeons on the first disc. Those stupid sewers come to mind, but the Tower of Babel is one of the worst locations in any RPG. Platforming puzzles in a game clearly not designed for it are not fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

It wasn't really their fault: Square jumped in partway through develop and massively slashed the budget in favor of Final Fantasy VIII. Because we really needed THAT game, apparently.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The weird thing about Darksiders 2 was that Death had no idea the Land of The Dead existed. Why would Death be doing petty fetch quests for some dead guy? He's Death, shouldn't everyone in the Land of The Dead just do whatever the gently caress he wants? It would be like Ronald Mcdonald walking into a Mcdonalds and having the fry cook sent him on errands.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The weird thing about Darksiders 2 was that Death had no idea the Land of The Dead existed. Why would Death be doing petty fetch quests for some dead guy? He's Death, shouldn't everyone in the Land of The Dead just do whatever the gently caress he wants? It would be like Ronald Mcdonald walking into a Mcdonalds and having the fry cook sent him on errands.

He's not literally Death.

Anyway, I've started messing around with the F2P 3rd person shooter Loadout since they put it on the PS4. The game's major gimmick is weapon customization but they do a really poor job of introducing you to it. Mostly because when you first go into the screen they fill it with a bunch of options that you can't actually use. There's a bunch of parts to customize but you can't actually do anything with them because you have to buy them first. Maybe I just didn't see it but the game really needs an option to turn off parts you don't actually have.

Another problem is I was playing a stage and apparently there was a time limit but I had no idea how you were supposed to see it. I only knew about it when the game said there was a minute left in the match.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
The "Shakalaka Savior II" quest in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I hate it in general when a game takes away a piece of your equipment for a few missions for whatever bullshit reasons, but just straight up removing my support character is pretty bullshit. Sure, this mission unlocks a new one, but during the mission itself he's just about useless and dies within the first three minutes. Then the monster itself, I keep getting it to the point where it's injured and drooling and limping, then it just teleports away across the map and when I run over to the other area, it's no longer injured. This mission is the first point where the game has felt more frustrating than genuinely challenging to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The "Shakalaka Savior II" quest in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I hate it in general when a game takes away a piece of your equipment for a few missions for whatever bullshit reasons, but just straight up removing my support character is pretty bullshit. Sure, this mission unlocks a new one, but during the mission itself he's just about useless and dies within the first three minutes. Then the monster itself, I keep getting it to the point where it's injured and drooling and limping, then it just teleports away across the map and when I run over to the other area, it's no longer injured. This mission is the first point where the game has felt more frustrating than genuinely challenging to me.

When the monster is limping away, it's injured. However, it will only do this animation while it is walking from area to area, or walking to a point to leap up and fly away. I think it can recover health while sleeping, so if you don't reach it fast enough after it starts its nap (which it probably will if it's limping) then it could recover enough to stop being injured.

However, drooling is another thing. Drooling just means it's exhausted. It's attacks will be worse, it'll have longer recovery times, and will stay in traps longer. This is recovered over time, or by eating food, which is usually does when it runs away (which is why placing poisoned food in places it runs to is a good idea).

I really enjoy the Monster Hunter series, but holy gently caress the game is probably the worst game to try to get into, and Capcom is simply adamant about not providing any sort of tutorial beyond "Hurrr here's how to swing a sword good luck!" The only reason I got into it was because my roommate basically coached me in how the whole shoddy mess works.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2 recently added the ability to toggle a knife to enable it to kill in one hit.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all the knives in the game. Nope it applies to only one new knife that you either have to unlock with certs or buy with cash. Effectively making me wonder why the gently caress I got the 2 year anniversary knives or the Live event knives or why I should bother unlocking an achievement based knife.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Monster hunter series is extremely obtuse. Is that the duramboros fight? Always be using kitchen buffs, and items are extremely powerful. Traps and bombs can shorten fights by a lot. I'm exclusively a great sword user, but using the right elements can make a difference on monsters with a ton of HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Mokinokaro posted:

It wasn't really their fault: Square jumped in partway through develop and massively slashed the budget in favor of Final Fantasy VIII. Because we really needed THAT game, apparently.

I don't know man, Xenogears is already twice as long as any other RPG from that era and insanely huge chunks of it are devoted to stuff that is not interesting or relevant to the story. This is a game with multiple hours of sewer levels, in which the antagonist (God, from the Bible) is introduced at roughly the 40 hour mark. I don't think this game was ever going to be finished until someone from corporate turned off the money faucet.