Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

So I checked up on the ship date on the Electribe Santa pre-ordered for me from sweetwater and for those that ordered early enough, it's tomorrow. Yay!

ugh the one i ordered from guitar center still hasn't shipped yet. probably won't get it until i get back from christmas vacation :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Sizone posted:

Not even remotely. They're more akin to the sequencers on Tb-303s. One track (or maybe 2 or 3), no real editing capabilities, no display, no a lot of things. You can do with an rm1-x pretty much what ever you can do with a software midi sequencer.

KORG posted:

Loop sequencer distilled from the Electribe series
・Step Sequencer distilled from the Electribe series
・Slide function that’s indispensable for acid and other types of electronic music
・Active Step function generates new bass lines by removing or inserting steps - See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_bass/#sthash.Z3K0xj1C.dpuf

Lol "Distilled".That's what I meant by "with the balls cut off" They have way less parts (one on the keys, 3 on the Bass, 10 on the Beats) and 8 memory slots instead of like 256. Way smaller, way less features. Lots of shared tech, that's why Volcas are so cheap.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sizone posted:

You can do with an rm1-x pretty much what ever you can do with a software midi sequencer.

This is basically why I sold mine. The sounds are alright but not anything special and I'm much more at home programming MIDI on the computer now as opposed to the RM1x now. That's not to say they're not good units or anything like that, but for me at least I wanted something that is much more versatile than something that I would consider first and foremost a MIDI sequencer and less a bank of usable sounds.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 18, 2014

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Guys, I think I found the best GAS cure: Stop buying sub-$500 synths, and just fall in love with one or two that you won't be able to afford for who knows how long. If I'm lucky, I'll get over it before I can buy either. For the curious, I'm lusting hard after a Pro2 and/or a Monomachine.

Alternatively, spend a day on Gearslutz. Never been on the site much before, but my god, nothing will make me want gear less than reading through people's $10,000+ pissing matches.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6xMAFy3p8

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Alternatively, spend a day on Gearslutz. Never been on the site much before, but my god, nothing will make me want gear less than reading through people's $10,000+ pissing matches.

Mostly true, but then when they really hate something I know I want it.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

... and that there deserves a hardware version.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

ozmunkeh posted:

I have a mostly-restored 106 that could be for sale at the right price. :v:

I'm always interested in how that board-meeting went at Roland.
"Sir, we have made the same synthesiser for the third time, but this this time it's really different."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
What the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUu0iRMsme0

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Appropriately sounds like poo poo

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Sjoewe posted:

I'm always interested in how that board-meeting went at Roland.
"Sir, we have made the same synthesiser for the third time, but this this time it's really different."

Much better this time. We removed the arpeggiator and added portamento!
You did what???
That's right! Portamento!
:(

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
"Also we came up with these unique self-destructing voice chips as a neat bonus feature"

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Eh some arcade company pulled the same thing, Konami? But worse. They also put SMD caps underneath that are leaky at this point.
There's some great gore pics in the retro gaming thread recently. Batt explosions :rip:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

Some maniac over there actually bought a Schmidt. A non-vintage $20,000 synthesizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDiOi7VwpNs

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

toadee posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-2500-ANALOG-MODULAR-SYNTHESIZER-VINTAGE-SUPER-RARE-/151518698404?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item234737dba4

brb, robbing bank

Seriously though -- this seems a bit out of whack, even for a 2500, doesn't it?

The school I went to had a 2500 (WWU in Bellingham), and it was fun but the patching mechanism is unintuitive compared to more standard method. If you don't know, each of those pins correspond to an in or out on a module and you match them up on a bus on the slider they are on to make connections. It doesn't make it very easy to trace a patch unless you are very used to it. They also had an E-Mu and I enjoyed that much much more. The 2500 looks cool as hell, though. A while before, I had seen a picture of Vince Clarke's studio and he had a massive 2500 so it was cool to actually get a chance to use that.

I'll try to track down the thing I made with it and I'll post it.

Edit: also, tenants at the place I work were getting rid of a bunch of stuff and they gave me a Sony DPS-R7 reverb unit. Have read decent things, but I was actually looking for another reverb.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 18, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MockingQuantum posted:

Guys, I think I found the best GAS cure: Stop buying sub-$500 synths, and just fall in love with one or two that you won't be able to afford for who knows how long. If I'm lucky, I'll get over it before I can buy either. For the curious, I'm lusting hard after a Pro2 and/or a Monomachine.

This guy gets it... only it's really easy to start looking at effects pedals while you're saving up for an expensive synth.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Maybe one day I'll be able to buy that Waldorf Wave.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I cured my gas with the moog37. Haven't given a poo poo about anything else, thinking I might sell all my other synths and ensoniq dp4, eventually get a moogerfooger, make scary space sounds all day long.

I really like loving around with Samplr on iOS though, it's so intuitive and neat. God drat I love that thing.

Edit: I guess I got an iPad too and that's like a million synths lol ._.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

field balm posted:

This is awesome mate, the low end is super deep and solid. Is there a big sidechained reverb on the kick or is it an off beat sub?

it's 3 sounds - one that's all mids with the bass cut out, one bassy one with the very low sub cut out with a slightly longer but still short tail, and a deep sub bass synth note that's almost just 30hz and below with an long attack set to swell up as the bassy kick dies.
sidechain/attack, same result really.
you took that down before i heard it but i'm really liking hunters, you got some good tracks.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 18, 2014

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Startyde posted:

Eh some arcade company pulled the same thing, Konami? But worse. They also put SMD caps underneath that are leaky at this point.
There's some great gore pics in the retro gaming thread recently. Batt explosions :rip:

I believe that was Capcom with the CPS2.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MockingQuantum posted:

I've sorta come to the conclusion that cheaper gear/more funds can be detrimental to making music if you're not careful, because it's more likely to lead to the cycle of deciding whatever you have isn't enough, buying another piece of gear, barely scratching the surface with the easy stuff it does, then deciding another piece of gear is the thing that will make it all work, repeat. If you're stuck with a single piece of gear for a year you're going to wring out everything possible from it. If it's easier to afford buying something else than actually deep learning what you have, the temptation is really high.

GAS gets worse the cheaper stuff gets; I'm on an iOS music app group and there's people there with several pages of music apps, always first in line to buy the next one, and always complaining that whatever ones they already had just were missing that one special thing they needed to actually make even one music track. In that case spending $1.99 on a new synth is even more tempting than learning any of the last 50 you bought that actually worked. Hell, I know I'm guilty of downloading a cheap/free app, cycling through the presets, making a token effort to do something with it, and never touching it again. I think modular also feeds into the the same thing where no single module ever finishes your synth so you stop adding and start playing, so it's a dangerous trap if one is not careful.

I managed to keep a multi-year moratorium on new gear (getting a mortgage helped with that) but after having to partially rebuild/replace my old gear set I'm working hard to avoid the siren call of buying stuff over using stuff.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

stillvisions posted:

I've sorta come to the conclusion that cheaper gear/more funds can be detrimental to making music if you're not careful, because it's more likely to lead to the cycle of deciding whatever you have isn't enough, buying another piece of gear, barely scratching the surface with the easy stuff it does, then deciding another piece of gear is the thing that will make it all work, repeat. If you're stuck with a single piece of gear for a year you're going to wring out everything possible from it. If it's easier to afford buying something else than actually deep learning what you have, the temptation is really high.

GAS gets worse the cheaper stuff gets; I'm on an iOS music app group and there's people there with several pages of music apps, always first in line to buy the next one, and always complaining that whatever ones they already had just were missing that one special thing they needed to actually make even one music track. In that case spending $1.99 on a new synth is even more tempting than learning any of the last 50 you bought that actually worked. Hell, I know I'm guilty of downloading a cheap/free app, cycling through the presets, making a token effort to do something with it, and never touching it again. I think modular also feeds into the the same thing where no single module ever finishes your synth so you stop adding and start playing, so it's a dangerous trap if one is not careful.

I managed to keep a multi-year moratorium on new gear (getting a mortgage helped with that) but after having to partially rebuild/replace my old gear set I'm working hard to avoid the siren call of buying stuff over using stuff.

I totally and completely agree with this. It's also infuriating how many people will own a synth for a month and claim to "know everything about it". I go through the cycles of wanting other things (expanding my modular into Eurorack, or as of discovering last night that new TTSH kits are being produced, possibly building one of them). Then I think about how many things I haven't tried with the stuff I have, and how what I really should be doing is deciding very specifically what sound I want to produce and then trying, earnestly, to create it with what I have.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

stillvisions posted:

I've sorta come to the conclusion that cheaper gear/more funds can be detrimental to making music if you're not careful, because it's more likely to lead to the cycle of deciding whatever you have isn't enough, buying another piece of gear, barely scratching the surface with the easy stuff it does, then deciding another piece of gear is the thing that will make it all work, repeat.

I totally did this for a few years, no music got made, 'slutz got read.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My cure for GAS was hanging on to every piece of gear that didn't work out (which in my case is literally all of them) and have it staring me in the face all the time. Every time I think about another piece of gear, I have a nice visualisation of all the guilt of never using any of it and all the money that's tied up in it. And it's all: "Yeah, remember how excited you were about that? Why would this time be different, really." And it's true, it won't.

e: It got me over my hangups about software though, so that's great.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Having no room to expand is a good way to cure GAS too since you have to either find something that will do the same and more or something that will take up the functions of other synths. At least that's what I try to tell myself. :smith:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

speaking of GAS, I bought a TB-3 today. beep bloop

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014
Well hey, gearlust is rough, but here's something you can all mess around with free of charge! Some dude made a new instrument for gameboy, called chord, and I've been having quite a good time with it. It's basically an arpeggiator or a 3 voice polyphonic synth thing? you use the buttons to play it, and you can what note each button plays, the duty of the square wave, rate of arpeggiaton, etc. It's just cool, grab an emulator and have some fun =D

http://www.humbletune.com/chord/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Of course the first thing I program into the TB3 is Mantronix. I'm such a hack lol

e: so if I want sustain out of a note over steps do I just chain the same note and add the slide?

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 19, 2014

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AipyRa794AU

kinda related, i just routed my six trak's parameters to a bcr2000. First midi anything and first time hearing a processor get slammed to a crawl from control changes (especially over arps)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

This guy gets it... only it's really easy to start looking at effects pedals while you're saving up for an expensive synth.

Thankfully I've never been bitten by that bug. I have one crappy distortion pedal that's appealing in how terrible it is, but I bought that two years ago and haven't felt like I needed anything new. Maybe I'll buy a decent delay, but I've been saying that for a few months already.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

The school I went to had a 2500 (WWU in Bellingham)

Sup fellow Viking?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Did you take any of the electroacoustic music courses up there?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MockingQuantum posted:

Thankfully I've never been bitten by that bug. I have one crappy distortion pedal that's appealing in how terrible it is, but I bought that two years ago and haven't felt like I needed anything new. Maybe I'll buy a decent delay, but I've been saying that for a few months already.

My Mangler does almost everything (the MS-20 sounds amazing when ran through it) but since I'm also getting some guitar stuff things like a dedicated fuzz, delay, and compression pedal are on my list of poo poo to buy.

On the bright side, since my family is really close to the family that owns SKB I'm getting one of the state five pedal boards at cost so I don't need to worry about power supplies or any of that other bullshit.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I have news that my Electribe has shipped.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MockingQuantum posted:

My guitar amp had enough effects for me to play with to overcome the worst of that bug and the KP3 also let me play for a short while with effects to sate the worst of the gear hunger. I briefly fell off the wagon for guitar and got the EHX POG, Voice Box and Muff Pi, and I have a wah pedal from decades ago; the for-a-while ridiculously overpriced original Ibanez WH-10 that I picked up at a pawn shop in the 90s for like 40 bucks before it had any cachet. KP3 is broken, Muff Pi stolen, and I'm okay with using the rest as needed, plus the incoming A4 has the delay which was the only one I was really looking for. I still miss the Muff on occasion (the amp has enough overdrive/fuzz to keep me happy when I need it though), but the KP3 was something that mostly collected dust and serves as one of my monuments to gear creep.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of any similar bands to Kraftwerk, what with the all-electronic, kinda minimal approach? I honestly have no idea what to even search for, it's something I've always been interested in but never really.. found. The quirky kind of "futuristic" bleeps and bloops but with a melody. Last.FM, Spotify and Wikipedia has failed me and I don't know where else to look. The less vocals the better (vocoders allowed.) It's the kind of music I wanted to make when I got into synthesizers, it's certainly got a special place in my heart...but I only just remembered because of bonerjamz :downs:

And uh, here's some more bonerjamz inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyG-xu-7SQ

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Not really the same thing but Lippock and Morgenstern, Tesari really hits the Kraftwerk spot.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Your Computer posted:

Anyone know of any similar bands to Kraftwerk, what with the all-electronic, kinda minimal approach? I honestly have no idea what to even search for, it's something I've always been interested in but never really.. found. The quirky kind of "futuristic" bleeps and bloops but with a melody. Last.FM, Spotify and Wikipedia has failed me and I don't know where else to look. The less vocals the better (vocoders allowed.) It's the kind of music I wanted to make when I got into synthesizers, it's certainly got a special place in my heart...but I only just remembered because of bonerjamz :downs:
You must check out Komputer: Komputer - Looking Down on London

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I knew this was the place to ask :swoon: