Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Supremacy 2020 is apparently using a cloth map and comes in a tube now without consulting any of their backers for this change. I didn't back this, but I like Kickstarter schadenfreude of people getting annoyed/angry at their Kickstarter. But wow, a tube. That's certainly...a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

Those look quality. Who's the printer?

edit; drivethru maybe? How did the inside pages turn out?

Yeah, DTRPG, who uses Lightning Source. Interior is good. Their blacks always seem a little glossy to me, but thats normal from what I've seen.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh wait, so the one with the burning skeleton on the cover, is the content in that included in the NG+ one?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Supremacy 2020 is apparently using a cloth map and comes in a tube now without consulting any of their backers for this change. I didn't back this, but I like Kickstarter schadenfreude of people getting annoyed/angry at their Kickstarter. But wow, a tube. That's certainly...a thing.

quote:

We have plans to add an all new expansion soon: Rising Crescent. This will add an exciting new Terrorist player to the game. The Terrorist player can build special Terror Armies and Pirates, launch suicide attacks and steal nuclear weapons. The Terrorist starts with nothing: no forces, no companies, no money. Can you unite all the factions in the Middle East and grow them into a real Islamic Superpower? A Superpower that just happens to be sitting on the world's oil supply! This expansion also comes with a new add on Superpower: Brazil! (completely unrelated to terrorism) This is almost done and getting a very good response. Watch our website for release.

lol :911:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Oh wait, so the one with the burning skeleton on the cover, is the content in that included in the NG+ one?

Yes. Burning Skeleton book is for people who already bought the original book. NG+ is them both combined.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, ha, whoops. I hadn't used my coupon yet so I just bought both. Oh well, it was only a few bucks, I guess maybe someone will get the extra bit in a stocking or something. :)

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's okay, that burning skeleton is the best NPC I ever wrote. Captain Blackbone deserves to be shared.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh hey, it must be Christmas! My copy of Maha Yodha just showed up, directly mailed from India. Box is in good condition, game looks reasonably nice, I'll have to try it out on Friday and see how it goes. I bought it almost entirely on the basis that I want to support an Indian-made game about Indian mythology with good Indian artwork, so if the game actually works out to be fun, hey, bonus. They had print-on-demand from the start, but I'm too lazy for that poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

That's okay, that burning skeleton is the best NPC I ever wrote. Captain Blackbone deserves to be shared.

Yeah, it's cool, turns out I actually still had the coupon for the core book, hadn't used that, so I just went ahead and ordered the core book as well so that whoever I decide to grace will get the core book and the extra content book, and I'll get the NG+ version.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Leperflesh posted:

Oh hey, it must be Christmas! My copy of Maha Yodha just showed up, directly mailed from India. Box is in good condition, game looks reasonably nice, I'll have to try it out on Friday and see how it goes. I bought it almost entirely on the basis that I want to support an Indian-made game about Indian mythology with good Indian artwork, so if the game actually works out to be fun, hey, bonus. They had print-on-demand from the start, but I'm too lazy for that poo poo.

Well, my 'you weren't home when we shipped it' card arrived today.... :sweatdrop:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I was coming here to post just this. The cards feel good and the artwork is aces, but I've not had a chance to get it on the table yet.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just got zombicide Rue Morgue in and... it's looks better so far. Different zombie spawning mechanic, melee and shooting weapons are more balanced, support for over 6 survivors. The first mission had you doing more things than half of the original. I'll have to get a game in with it soon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Where's the "Criticize GMS to send legal threats to random guy in Iceland" thread? Did it get deleted? Oh, well, I'll just post this here, instead.

quote:

Today, I continued on layout -- and I managed to pass a milestone which I'm happy about : I did two additional pieces of drop-in artwork that, if my page calculations are correct, should be the last pieces that will be needed from here on out!

Am I reading this right? He thought, at one point not long ago, that it was a realistic goal to release the finalized PDF earlier today. But he's still not 100% sure on how many pieces of art he needs? He still doesn't know how many pages the book will be? Wasn't this originally going to be offset print?

I don't know what I expected from a peek behind the curtain, but I never imagined his workflow was so completely hosed.

:psyduck:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm not familiar with the project at all, but from everything you guys post this more resembles an elaborate troll than an actual project he intends to finish.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Who wants to start placing bets that the book is almost done, really guys, just a few more minor issues left- a year from now?

Because even with his day by day vague litany of excuses or claims, its literally no different from the same claims he's been making about how far he is towards completion for years now.

Plague of Hats posted:

Am I reading this right? He thought, at one point not long ago, that it was a realistic goal to release the finalized PDF earlier today. But he's still not 100% sure on how many pieces of art he needs? He still doesn't know how many pages the book will be? Wasn't this originally going to be offset print?

I don't know what I expected from a peek behind the curtain, but I never imagined his workflow was so completely hosed.

:psyduck:

He's been saying he'll release the PDF any day now for three years

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gravy Train Robber posted:

He's been saying he'll release the PDF any day now for three years

Has he ever shown preview pages or anything other than crappy art?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

In BGG, by apparently one of the runners of the kickstarter, bolding mine:

quote:

Lol…. Well, we figured it would just about be a ‘done deal’. We didn’t think anybody would object to a free upgrade. ?? Remember, everybody that has seen this in person loves it. Yvonne was showing the sample map to a friend in Barns & Nobel. It got a huge reaction. Everybody in the café started coming over to check it out and wanted to know what it was and where to get it. They gasped at the quality.

I’m wondering if most of the opposition to this is coming more from the feeling of it being ‘changed’ afterwards. The random people that see it didn’t already buy it with a perceived expectation. They just judge it for what they see on spot. “I don’t care if it’s a Lamborghini, I thought I bought a ford focus!” This is reminding me of the ‘New Coke’.

We are liking Daniel’s idea. Maybe just stick to a traditional game and offer this later as an upgrade. Yvonne is getting a survey ready to post to our backers on this to make sure we are getting an accurate read. The opposition tends to be the most vocal.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bucnasti posted:

Has he ever shown preview pages or anything other than crappy art?

There was a draft preview of something like the first half of the book. Maybe two years ago? It was pretty well received from what I recall. When he hitched his wagon to Cubicle 7, things seemed to pick up and there were one or two shaky cell phone videos of what looked like an adequate book layout template with placeholder text in it. He was really excited about that!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
What I liked was the Supremacy 2020 showrunner's implication that the tube was so weirdly shaped, retailers couldn't just stuff it in with the rest of the workaday board games and would have to store it in endcaps or by the till!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

What I liked was the Supremacy 2020 showrunner's implication that the tube was so weirdly shaped, retailers couldn't just stuff it in with the rest of the workaday board games and would have to store it in endcaps or by the till!
Did they not realize that this means retailers are most likely to not stock it at all?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

Did they not realize that this means retailers are most likely to not stock it at all?

That's exactly what backers were asking!

I don't think he realizes that one of the purposes of a retail box is to sell people on its contents, either. There really isn't a lot of space on a narrow tube to fit product shots and spiel.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bieeardo posted:

That's exactly what backers were asking!

I don't think he realizes that one of the purposes of a retail box is to sell people on its contents, either. There really isn't a lot of space on a narrow tube to fit product shots and spiel.

Yeah, this is why so many boxes are far bigger than they need to be - just so they can spend time convincing us to hand over our hard earned cash for their game. I doubt a poster tube will convince me that there is a good game in there if I'm browsing a store.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Zereth posted:

From the little bit I've read, they believe that retailers will put their game in premium locations, because they have to.

I'd also like to say that games that come in tubes are usually poo poo. Terrible for storing (where do I put it? It doesn't stack with my hoard), and often everything inside gains a memory and doesn't lay flat anymore. which means actually playing is a pain in the rear end. Though their map doesn't look like it will, the rules definitely will, and any play aids will.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That photo of the counter-rolled rules booklet made me wince. Rumpled, torn at one inside corner, that's the kind of condition I feel bad about leaving my stuff in, not a fresh-from-the-package state.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well the upside is I'll probably be able to get a really cheap Supremacy set once it hits clearance bins.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Supremacy 2020 posted:

This is archival museum quality material.

what does that even mean

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

what does that even mean
This?

To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the canvas. That's not the issue here, even large (lol) wargaming companies using folded paper maps in a lot of their games.

The tube, however, is funny. I mean, sure, I buy plastic wallet games from Victory Point Games, but I know full-well what I'm getting into and even then, I'm not going to get rules/stuff that is bent out of shape. This is a kickstarter, however, there is no way the backers would know they would get a tube game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

what does that even mean

As an Archivist I can say it likely means nothing, but it typically means low acid content so it won't degrade as quickly over time.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

As an Archivist I can say it likely means nothing, but it typically means low acid content so it won't degrade as quickly over time.

Yeah, it's pretty much modern paper.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much modern paper.

Yup. But with the "Archival" sticker it is really expensive modern paper.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This guy is either a huckster or literally has no clue what he's doing, either way this rules.

quote:

How about a clear acrylic, heavy duty commander’s map tube? Dust proof. Water resistant. It comes with a black nylon shoulder strap for easy carry. No split corners or crunched boxes. Very eye catching. It looks like a missile!! Great for marketing.

I like to think my gaming friends and I aren't total shitbags, we're pretty accepting people and all. That said, if some dude showed up with his 'commander's map tube' slung over his shoulder to game night I'm positive we'd all call him a dorklord, and him telling us 'no see IT LOOKS LIKE A MISSILE' would not help that.

Also the full quote for his 'premium space' argument makes it even better.

quote:

I was worried that this might be a problem with merchandising for retailers. Frankly, it is a slight problem for them. They can’t easily bury it on the shelf to get hidden with all the other games. The only good place to put it is on and end cap display or by the register. Prime merchandising real estate! These tubes are a huge advantage as far as retail. They are unique and stand out in a major way. You can’t help but notice them from across the store. Even if you try to put them on a shelf they stand out. They are going to be on top of or in front of all the other games: in bright white –in contrast to all the other games. A huge coup marketing wise.
But, marketing isn’t the only concern here. It’s what you guys prefer.
Cinc

You can't help but notice them is, in fairness, right. If I saw that at my LGS I'd go 'lookit that dumb tube' for sure.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It really reads like someone desperately trying to convince himself that he's making the right decision.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Speaking of right decisions: acrylic? Really? At that wall thickness, the tube is going to be dust in pretty short order. It'll be brittle and fracture and crack even on its own without the abuse of being stuffed in a bag or whatever. I have to assume he's imagining a tube out of something more like polycarbonate, but if he's actually using acrylic, whoops.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You can't help but notice them is, in fairness, right. If I saw that at my LGS I'd go 'lookit that dumb tube' for sure.

''Huh, I didn't know they sold packing materials here.''

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tekopo posted:

This?

To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the canvas. That's not the issue here, even large (lol) wargaming companies using folded paper maps in a lot of their games.

The tube, however, is funny. I mean, sure, I buy plastic wallet games from Victory Point Games, but I know full-well what I'm getting into and even then, I'm not going to get rules/stuff that is bent out of shape. This is a kickstarter, however, there is no way the backers would know they would get a tube game.

Yeha, VPG is a good example of how to do nice materials in a small, easy to store package. Tubes are neither of these things.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Just finished shipping for my latest Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming . Thanks a million to everyone who backed it!

On a side note: Backerkit is such huge boon. They really have been indispensable in managing everything, particularly with as "custom pledge" a KS as mine.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Germ posted:

Just finished shipping for my latest Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming . Thanks a million to everyone who backed it!

On a side note: Backerkit is such huge boon. They really have been indispensable in managing everything, particularly with as "custom pledge" a KS as mine.

I can't wait! I have the next two weeks off, so hopefully it will come in and I can work on some terrain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Most of the game stores I've been to have a bin somewhere with the roll-up player mats in them, you know, the dry/wet erase ones with a grid or hexes. That's where retailers who bother to stock this inconvenient, already-sold-to-whoever-was-actually-interested kickstarter game will probably wind up sticking them.

Just the very idea of designing your game so that the only way a retailer can stock it is by devoting their premium space to it is so blatantly ignorant. Like OK, maybe you had 100 retailers nationwide who might have stocked three copies each as an experiment. Well, now, only 30 bother to stock it at all, so hey; now instead of selling between zero and three copies at 100 stores, you'll sell between zero and four copies at 30 stores. Whee!

Germ posted:

I got my shipping notice and I was super happy because it's going to show up like a day or two before Christmas! Perfect!

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Received New Dawn Kickstarter main game and stretch goals today. They announced that the add-ons (sleeves and metal coins) will arrive separately later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

echoMateria posted:

Received New Dawn Kickstarter main game and stretch goals today. They announced that the add-ons (sleeves and metal coins) will arrive separately later.

I got my sleeves with my promos the day after my copy showed up.

• Locked thread