Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Chonstant... Chontact?

Edit: A fantastic post for a brand new page! Merry Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

regulargonzalez posted:

Thank you for the link.

I wasn't sure if it was kosher to post the link or not, so I didn't.

And now apparently it is inactive.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I think they are on to something. This is how the last episode of Serial will play out.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ab2d45a77/the-last-episode-of-serial

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I feel bad for Sarah Koenig. She's made it clear from the start that not everything is clear with this case. Despite that there are a lot of people who are going to be disappointed if she doesn't make some kind of pronouncement of guilt in the end,

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Geekslinger posted:

I think they are on to something. This is how the last episode of Serial will play out.

:laffo: the "stepping out on Stephanie" line. I also thought it was crazy that a lawyer-ing type would use a term like that.

One that sounds like Vickie Guerrero.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CoffeeBooze posted:

I feel bad for Sarah Koenig. She's made it clear from the start that not everything is clear with this case. Despite that there are a lot of people who are going to be disappointed if she doesn't make some kind of pronouncement of guilt in the end,
Well, Serial is all about how people gently caress up and do stupid things constantly, so it's just life imitating art.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Geekslinger posted:

Hahaha I loved the end to this. "No go ahead, sorry"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Geekslinger posted:

Awesome. Also that Adnan voice was perfect

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
There is going to be so much rage from people tomorrow expecting a resolution.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
People saying this thing has succeeded "In spite of Sarah" are out of their minds

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I am really curious how those people explain Serial's success then. Aside from some assistance from her producer the whole thing is pretty much Sarah Koenig 100% all the way.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

People saying this thing has succeeded "In spite of Sarah" are out of their minds

Yeah, even if the only thing she did was the narration, it's a major part of why I like Serial. Being an audio only product, I think that having the right voice for this was a very important part of its success; I mean, I love Dan Carlin, but he is too over the top; I endure Stuff You Missed in History Class despite its hosts. Serial is perfect balance in that regard.

EDIT: "Gotta be honest, this child murder has been really great for Mail Crimp." This got me, that video was spot on, down to the impression of Adnan.

radlum fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 18, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am really curious how those people explain Serial's success then. Aside from some assistance from her producer the whole thing is pretty much Sarah Koenig 100% all the way.

It's really easy to explain Serial's success: You know how everything on the radio loving sucks? You can sign up for these free things called "podcasts" and look forward to them every week instead of having Clear Channel slowly perform an auditory lobotomy on you while you're commuting into work.

The story came to TAL and the scope of the story was outside of what's possible on a typical TAL episode (this also includes the lack of a conclusion), so they decided to branch off and do serialized non-fiction story about how the justice system is kind of a joke. They had relatively little to lose in terms of resources, and if push came to shove, it would have been a one-shot series and it would have made a good story to tell about that one time This American Life did that crazy side project about some dude who totally murdered the poo poo out of his classmate and ex-girlfriend.

e: it's also another point for the "internet detectives are loving awful and reddit should be burnt to the ground" crowd

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 18, 2014

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
Last episode is up!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm not sure how much I would trust Josh. His story is actually fairly believable, right up until he insists that Adnan was after Jay even though he didn't know who Adnan was. It seems like that aspect is tainted by the events afterwards, that doesn't mean the rest should be totally discounted though.

It's clear though that Jay at least told the same story to people.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm fairly satisfied with how it wrapped up. The Project Innocence stuff is the heavy hitter, but the entire case is a mess.

A+ would accidentally wake up at 6am again (now I have nothing to listen to while running today though).

radlum
May 13, 2013
I want to thank my dog for waking me up at 6:00 AM to go out for a walk today and all previous thursdays since I started listening.

I liked the ending, though I still need time to process it. I'm already awaiting complaints about it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Now that it's over, I liked the ending more than I thought I would've. It's essentially a recap, but more a recap of key evidence, and it's interesting to see them undermine a few of Koenig's own arguments.

From the start I think people (Rational people anyway) would've seen that the end was always going to be like this. There's no smoking gun or whatever and Koenig certainly wasn't holding back major information to blow your mind with. What I do think is interesting is that despite the assertions of some people in this thread, Koenig clearly comes down on the Adnan is innocent side of things.

I'm still none the wiser. About halfway through I thought that yeah, both these kids were lying and both had something to do with it, but then of course why would Adnan be so sure that DNA evidence would exonerate him, or why would he even agree to this podcast about a largely forgotten case if he thought that actually, they were going to find out he did it?

The Nisha call is just something that won't get solved. But they do at least raise the possibility that actually, it could be a buttdial. Adnan would be the world's least lucky person, but it's possible.

The only complaint I have is when they discuss Jay being at Jenn's. They take it at face value that both of them were telling the truth and say that Jay didn't have the phone instead of exploring the possibility that no they weren't telling the truth. It just seems a little odd that they would handwave it.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 18, 2014

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Well whaddaya know, it really was Mail.. Kimp? all along.

I've been avoiding this thread (and really any discussion of the podcast and case) for the duration of the show because I didn't want the discussion or outside conjecture to color my reception of it, and I'm absolutely thrilled that Sarah's conclusion is well gently caress, maybe we'll never know, the same as I figured it'd be, and the only conclusion that makes sense given the information we have.

On the other hand, if only I'd followed the conversation that sprung up around it I wouldn've been able to make Mail Kimp jokes for months because I thought that was hilarious from day one.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 18, 2014

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Am I remembering correctly that Jay knew where the car was AND the location of the body? Or was it just the car?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

Am I remembering correctly that Jay knew where the car was AND the location of the body? Or was it just the car?

I'm pretty sure that it was just the location of the car. But he told them that Adnan showed him her body.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I'm pretty sure that it was just the location of the car. But he told them that Adnan showed him her body.

I think he knew that she was strangled before the cops told him how she died.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I thought it was a pretty good ending. Good to see SK actually come down on one side or the other.

The scene where Adnan got choked up also really drove home the human element of all this. It's pretty disturbing that he may have been locked up despite being innocent for 15 years...and probably wouldn't be getting out had this show never gotten going.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

What I do think is interesting is that despite the assertions of some people in this thread, Koenig clearly comes down on the Adnan is innocent side of things.

Did we listen to the same podcast?

"If you asked me to swear that Adnan Sayed is innocent, I couldn't do it."

Yeah she follows that up with all the reasonable doubt from the case itself and her interaction with Adnan, concluding that as much as she'd like to be sure he's innocent, she isn't. But I wouldn't call that clearly coming down for either side. Her point is that the case is so ambiguous that we may never know.

I completely agree with Koenig and am not miffed, or surprised, about the show's ending. I flip flopped a couple times while listening to the season, but to take a step back now that it's done, there's so much doubt for everything. I don't think Adnan, Jay, or Jen told the truth and, barring some DNA evidence, we won't know until someone speaks.

FWIW I think Chris's story from the Jay episode is the most plausible scenario. Or at least the most fitting.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm about 95% sure Adnan did it and I'm also 100% sure that he shouldn't have been convicted for it....

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Yeah, she really isn't coming down on either side. She acknowledges that there isn't enough information. She's doing what's legally correct for a juror in this situation: if you aren't swayed beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty, you're supposed to vote to acquit. She isn't saying she feels either way in any compelling fashion, just that she doesn't have the evidence she needs to say with any certainty that he did it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

mcmagic posted:

I'm about 95% sure Adnan did it and I'm also 100% sure that he shouldn't have been convicted for it....

This is pretty much how I feel.

It seems pretty clear to me that Adnan did it. However, as Sarah states, the evidence provided doesn't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, she had to "acquit" him in the end, as would I. But in my gut, based on the mostly unbiased evidence we were given, he did it.

What a loving mess, though. I'm interested to hear what, if anything, the DNA evidence produces- and if after the hype dies down and the inevitable appeal, if Adnan makes a jailhouse confession (all these years later).

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

mcmagic posted:

This is how I feel now. But I wonder, in the moment as a juror - would I have been swept up in this and convicted him anyway? I've never been on a jury (pretty sure I jinxed myself). They convicted him in a couple hours - they also didn't have any of this background on Jay.

I like the ambiguous ending - she doesn't know, and essentially says we may never know. Though I will be interested to see how the DNA testing goes...

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Tuxedo Jack posted:

what, if anything, the DNA evidence produces

I'm Ira Glass and this week on This American Life, we're talking about our favourite cocktails. We've called up our cousins, aunts, grand nephews and others to find out how to make the best Rum and Coke, David Sedaris brings us a story of a journey sparked by a heated debate over a mint julep and we find out from Sarah Koening which of the bottles she turned to when Serial wrapped up, how she dealt with the deluge of hate mail as we all awaited the arrival of the DNA evidence that might exonerate Adnan Syed. If ever there was a criminal case that had the taste of a poorly mixed drink, this would be the one and she'll have more in Act Four of our program.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

fullroundaction posted:

Just the car, the random streaker found the body.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Did we listen to the same podcast?

"If you asked me to swear that Adnan Sayed is innocent, I couldn't do it."

Yeah she follows that up with all the reasonable doubt from the case itself and her interaction with Adnan, concluding that as much as she'd like to be sure he's innocent, she isn't. But I wouldn't call that clearly coming down for either side. Her point is that the case is so ambiguous that we may never know.

I completely agree with Koenig and am not miffed, or surprised, about the show's ending. I flip flopped a couple times while listening to the season, but to take a step back now that it's done, there's so much doubt for everything. I don't think Adnan, Jay, or Jen told the truth and, barring some DNA evidence, we won't know until someone speaks.

FWIW I think Chris's story from the Jay episode is the most plausible scenario. Or at least the most fitting.

I think what gives her away more than what she says is her reaction when discussing the Nisha call. She lets out a kind of pained sigh. I think it's probably more accurate to say that she would prefer it if he was innocent because they've clearly got close in all this time. But her reporting sometimes seems a little more skewed to his innocence than it does her impartial reporting.

Fuckin' Dana knows where it's at. Season 2 should follow her around.

It's just a mess of a case though. Take Don. Ok there's no reason to doubt him, but even his story brings up questions. Hae wanted to spend the day with him on a day that she knew she was being interviewed for TV and then writes him a note apologising that she couldn't stay, presumably with no way of giving it to him.

I don't know how convinced I am that Adnan did it. I think he's lying, but then I think Jay is lying as well. I guess the simplest explanation, if you're trying to make sense of it all is simply:

Hae dumped Adnan and he doesn't actually quite accept it.
He meets her and ends up in her car.
He kills her.
He calls on the only person he knows who's vaguely criminal to help him.

If you take it that Adnan did it, that's the only timeline that makes sense to me. I'm not saying it's premeditated or anything like that. But Jay has no reason to kill her and there's nothing to indicate that Jay would even know how to find her that day. Like Dana said, it's probable, but Adnan would have to be the unluckiest person alive for everything to unfold the way it supposedly did.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I think Jay's shifting story and timelines that flat out don't work can be chalked up to him being fearful of prosecution, or more complicity than he was willing to cop to, in the end. At some point he just picked a "version" and stuck with it. Perhaps the shifting locations and side trips to parks were due to the fact that he didn't know who had cameras and what they might be able to tie him to. If they had video of him looking into that trunk, it's much less likely (edit: I would imagine) he would have gotten off without jail time.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

This is how I feel. Adnan and Jay did it together in some form. The Innocence Project looking into that other serial killer guy will bring nothing.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know how convinced I am that Adnan did it. I think he's lying, but then I think Jay is lying as well. I guess the simplest explanation, if you're trying to make sense of it all is simply:

This is what has bothered me throughout the podcast. It just seems like there are one or two facts missing. Nothing adds up. Maybe in a few years Jay will author a book titled "If I Did It" that provides the few missing pieces that wraps everything up nicely with a little bow and all.

Until then it is really hard to make any determination on what exactly went down.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

This is what has bothered me throughout the podcast. It just seems like there are one or two facts missing. Nothing adds up. Maybe in a few years Jay will author a book titled "If I Did It" that provides the few missing pieces that wraps everything up nicely with a little bow and all.

Until then it is really hard to make any determination on what exactly went down.

I think Koenig brings up this sentiment as well. There's this exasperation that there's clearly something missing that kind of makes sense of the whole thing. As it is though it's just two people who have their own version of events and they're both sort of right and both lying.

From everything we've heard though, I find it hard to accept that Jay could've done it and that if he did he acted alone. When you break down who had the best motive and opportunity then it falls to Adnan. I know some people might've said oh what about Don but the last episode blew that one out of the water.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is just zero reason for Jay to have done it...

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think Jay's shifting story and timelines that flat out don't work can be chalked up to him being fearful of prosecution, or more complicity than he was willing to cop to, in the end. At some point he just picked a "version" and stuck with it. Perhaps the shifting locations and side trips to parks were due to the fact that he didn't know who had cameras and what they might be able to tie him to. If they had video of him looking into that trunk, it's much less likely (edit: I would imagine) he would have gotten off without jail time.

This is the reason I've been able to write off his lying as okay as long as his main narrative checks the major points each time.

He's by all accounts a compulsive liar, and he was put in a situation where he didn't know if he was going to go to jail for murder for the rest of his life. Couple that massive amount of stress with the fact that he had no idea what Adnan was saying to the police (assuming they were both in on the whole thing) and it's completely understandable that his story changed, being the person that he is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

This is the reason I've been able to write off his lying as okay as long as his main narrative checks the major points each time.

He's by all accounts a compulsive liar, and he was put in a situation where he didn't know if he was going to go to jail for murder for the rest of his life. Couple that massive amount of stress with the fact that he had no idea what Adnan was saying to the police (assuming they were both in on the whole thing) and it's completely understandable that his story changed, being the person that he is.

Basically I think he clearly knew enough that the cops knew what they had with him and coached him appropriately. I mean, that's just what happens. They poke holes in his story and then move the scenery around so you can't see them. As long as what they need to check out checks out then it's all good. Of course, the problem comes when you look at the cell towers and realise that yeah, Jay's version of events sort of falls flat there.

However, his version for the most crucial time makes more sense (And tallys up, no matter how roughly) than Adnan's total "Oh I don't remember anything" defence.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
That was about the best final episode I could have hoped for, but give the amount of new information they had come in over the past week, I'm surprised they're sticking to it being the last one. Given the recent developments, I hope they do occasional updates while they're prepping for Season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I feel like Don put together what is the salient point: when he heard about this, he immediately put together a timeline of what he had done all day to satisfy any questions the police might have for him. Don was only 20 or so - not that much older than Adnan so it's not like he had the gift of life experience over Adnan.

Thinking of events from 20 years ago that were traumatic to me: I can remember a lot of detail now, so I know I would have been able to recall them with much more clarity right then and there.

I think it's strange that he doesn't remember a day when something so traumatic happened. Now, that might not be enough to convict him but from the comfort of my computer I can say I think Adnan did, got Jay involved in someway and Jay lied because he was afraid of being charged with murder.

• Locked thread