Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

If they spent the money they did on licensing music from other sources and paid a band, or a couple of bands to record entirely original music for GTA it would be amazing. gently caress, there are bands out there who would work for peanuts for the opportunity to be featured in a multi-million selling game like GTA.

I do kind of take issue with the use of licensed musics in games like that, since for a lot of music people tend to have an emotional investment with it, so to hear it in a game is vicariously imparting the feelings you'd associate with that music with the game itself. GTA4's soundtrack was praised, probably much higher than the game itself should have been if we're being truthful, possibly for those reasons.

Plus the GTA games go out of their way to make it clear that they exist in an entirely different world from the one we're in (New York doesn't exist, it's Liberty City etc.) yet there's little stupid things that make you go "Oh, right, this carefully constructed world isn't as entirely carefully constructed as they would like you to believe". Back in the New York Groove playing when New York doesn't really exist, for example.

If they just had original music tailored to the world and the universe they've decided to create it would go a long way to distracting people from the man behind the curtain pulling all the levers.

nah the GTA soundtracks are good and cool and you are caring too much about details that don't matter instead of enjoying the cool music they pick out. liberty city is new york, its modelled on new york and features new yorks landmarks. same with san andreas etc. like it literally has the brooklyn bridge and the chrysler building in it. its new york.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Let's spend millions creating an entirely new world and then populate it with stuff that doesn't fit. That is a good use of the music budget.

Back in the Liberty City Groove isn't as catchy though, I guess.

^^ Except it's Liberty City. This is what people call it. This is what the game calls it. When those fresh faced immigrants got out of the boat in the land of opportunity they didn't land in New York City, they landed in Liberty City.

I just think it would be cool if they spend that budget paying people to make original content rather than just licencing music and calling it a day. They manage it with the talk stations and paying people to pretend to be other people as radio announcers.

The whole Love Fist thing in Vice City shows they have the resources to do it, it's just :effort:

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 18, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Let's spend millions creating an entirely new world and then populate it with stuff that doesn't fit. That is a good use of the music budget.

its not an entirely new world. its new york. it is meant to be new york. they just like changing the names of everything to stupid puns. I'm sorry for your care on this matter.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ddraig posted:

this is Chris Bridges amounts of ludicrous

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a GTA equivalent of the redshirt fat kid from Blizzcon? Because this is it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
OK OK OK what do you actually do in that Elite: Dangerous game? I mean it looks great and seems to capture the ambience of flying around in space but I'm getting the impression that there isn't all that much to actually do and that it might get pretty boring.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ddraig posted:

If they just had original music tailored to the world and the universe they've decided to create it would go a long way to distracting people from the man behind the curtain pulling all the levers.
They do have original music, though, but it's the instrumental score stuff that plays when you're not in a vehicle, ala Red Dead.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I know I'm weird, but in games like that I much prefer the original content. Like, listening to Heaven and Hell is cool and all, but I have a few Dio albums in my collection, what I don't really have is whatever crazy poo poo that Rockstar can come up with.

I usually end up listening to mostly talk radio stations and such in those games, because it's something that was actually created specifically for that game. It's very jarring when they take a lot, and I mean a huge amount of time, creating a believable world that isn't quite our own then you get things that take you out of it.

In Fallout 3 I much preferred the little radio dramas and such they made much more than the actual licensed music. It took effort to make (although not that much in anything Three Dog says) as opposed to just spending money on a Best of the 30s CD and peppering the tracks throughout.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I know I'm weird, but in games like that I much prefer the original content. Like, listening to Heaven and Hell is cool and all, but I have a few Dio albums in my collection, what I don't really have is whatever crazy poo poo that Rockstar can come up with.

I usually end up listening to mostly talk radio stations and such in those games, because it's something that was actually created specifically for that game. It's very jarring when they take a lot, and I mean a huge amount of time, creating a believable world that isn't quite our own then you get things that take you out of it.

In Fallout 3 I much preferred the little radio dramas and such they made much more than the actual licensed music. It took effort to make (although not that much in anything Three Dog says) as opposed to just spending money on a Best of the 30s CD and peppering the tracks throughout.

so then they should also stop basing the game areas on real areas, or at least make new landmarks and not copy the entire layout and design of cities but give them a very slightly different name?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Stux posted:

so then they should also stop basing the game areas on real areas, or at least make new landmarks and not copy the entire layout and design of cities but give them a very slightly different name?

People should have 3 legs and one eye, because the people in games are hackneyed copies of actual real people. Mix it up a little Rockstar.

Also give everyone five dicks.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ffxiii-3 : wow the combat is fun and questing for bonuses is neat

boy is the writing bad though

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

TheHoosier posted:

Playin Metroid II for the first time ever. S'cool. I'm bad at it

I'm playing the original for the first time and drawing a map on graph paper as I go and it is cool as gently caress to map stuff. I've got Etrian Odyssey IV ready to go after that, pretty psyched. :cool:

I had heard some areas of Metroid II overlap? That's hosed up, that will confuse my mapping. :mad:

also lol at the dude who can't listen to sweet gangster rap songs in GTA V without being like, BUT THERE IS NO COMPTON WHAT THE gently caress

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't think Dre is doing too hot these days, what with the headphone cash-grab. For the amount of money Rockstar spend on licensing and such they could probably make an NWA reunion, complete with digitally remade Eazy-E and put them entirely in game.

That would be better than wistful nostalgia over a song in my record collection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Lightning Returns honestly looks kind of...good? I've never played an FF game on PC, are the ports decent? I hear you need a good system to run them well, and mine is pretty good.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the fighting and dress up is good.

idk about what the pc requirements are though, probably the rumors of high spec pcs being required are true

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I don't think Dre is doing too hot these days, what with the headphone cash-grab. For the amount of money Rockstar spend on licensing and such they could probably make an NWA reunion, complete with digitally remade Eazy-E and put them entirely in game.

That would be better than wistful nostalgia over a song in my record collection.

is this a joke post because dre is a literal billionaire now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just realized... I forgot about Dre.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Stux posted:

is this a joke post because dre is a literal billionaire now.

Like Dre would turn down an opportunity to promote himself.

They wouldn't even need to pay him, just put a set of Beats ingame.

e: I forgot about Dre too. Next thing you know I won't be loving the police anymore and then all my ideals will be dead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ddraig posted:

I don't think Dre is doing too hot these days, what with the headphone cash-grab.

Yeah, if he's so rich why does he need to sell his headphone company for three billion dollars

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Like Dre would turn down an opportunity to promote himself.

They wouldn't even need to pay him, just put a set of Beats ingame.

yeah thats down to apple now more than him

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Chris Bridges

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Lightning Returns honestly looks kind of...good? I've never played an FF game on PC, are the ports decent? I hear you need a good system to run them well, and mine is pretty good.

I can't speak for the port quality of the other games, but Lightning Returns is a good and fun game. It's easily the best in the trilogy, and if all you care about is actual gameplay, system mechanics, and fighting it's probably the best FF game period. The localization is good, side quests are actually pretty decently written and consistent with the game world, the main quest is batshit lunacy, and overall it doesn't take itself too seriously, which has the added bonus of making Lightning herself a pretty fun character.

The battle system and customization are solid and rewarding, and while they do have some faults, those faults are relatively minor.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

So far I've been trying to make about 1 new thread per day here in Games and so far I have yet to face the angry wrath of the mods for it. I think people should make more threads in Games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Eye of Widesauron posted:

So far I've been trying to make about 1 new thread per day here in Games and so far I have yet to face the angry wrath of the mods for it. I think people should make more threads in Games.

Perhaps people are more scared of the posters. :tinfoil:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Buck Turgidson posted:

OK OK OK what do you actually do in that Elite: Dangerous game? I mean it looks great and seems to capture the ambience of flying around in space but I'm getting the impression that there isn't all that much to actually do and that it might get pretty boring.

You have a big open universe and you can fly around in it and do what you want. Mine asteroids and get rich, be a pirate and kill miners to steal their poo poo, be a bounty hunter and kill pirates for money, take combat missions, get a cargo ship and ferry materials around being a space trader, etc. Apparently there are in-game events that evolve as players participate in them, but there isn't really a campaign where you get to be the savior of the universe or anything like that.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Congrats, unfortunately you can't take initiative for other people. It's really easy to whine about threads, it takes effort(a tiny amount) to post one.

Games doesn't do effort

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Blister posted:

Congrats, unfortunately you can't take initiative for other people. It's really easy to whine about threads, it takes effort(a tiny amount) to post one.

I'm going to find them and force them to post :twisted:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i am goint to post a thread

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
god speed thread posters

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I made a thread once like a week ago and it got a couple posts and then died and I still cry myself to sleep over the rejection.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

chumbler posted:

I made a thread once like a week ago and it got a couple posts and then died and I still cry myself to sleep over the rejection.

I think I technically posted one of the first threads about Game Center CX here back in 2006-7 or thereabouts. It never got a single reply. I'm not very good at threads.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

exquisite tea posted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The worst thing I can say about GTA soundtracks is that "North American Scum" was in the commercial for GTA4 but wasn't in the actual game :argh:

Lightning Returns is fun and good, way better than any other FF game since 10 though 12 had some good ideas buried in a mountain of lovely design. Yeah Square I totally don't have anything to do for the next 2 hours while I try and get to a save point. t:mad:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ive made a couple o threads. all have been goldmined. in my heart

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

In the spirit of giving I made a new gamers.txt ish thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688858

this isn't hard and can be very rewarding and pttttttttttttthbt

So who wants to play some Far Cry 4 co op later?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

In the spirit of giving I made a new gamers.txt ish thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688858

this isn't hard and can be very rewarding and pttttttttttttthbt

So who wants to play some Far Cry 4 co op later?

No offense but I think that thread is going to go to hell within a week.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Bought part 1 of Tales from the Borderlands on 360 a few days ago and played it through. Loved it. Bought it on 360 because the Android version hadn't been released. You know what was released yesterday? Yup. Bought it on Android yesterday too.

If there was a Borderlands proper on Android I think I'd slowly starve to death in some dark corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I made a thread but it died before it could live.

• Locked thread