Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RedTonic posted:

I gotta admit this gave me an actual smile. :3:

Only if you get a were-carp on the line, I guess!

e: has anyone seen a were-carp :aaaaa:

worse are carp zombies, since they don't air-drown; they jump out of the river to maim you

:iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Oh, which reminds me, are undead sponges still immortal environmental hazards that occasionally (slowly) maim dwarves, or did Toady make them killable at some point with all the undead damage changes?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You can batter anything to death eventually now. Even the things that don't specifically bleed or have any vital weak points.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Excelzior posted:

worse are carp zombies, since they don't air-drown; they jump out of the river to maim you

:iit:

I imagine were-carp would die in like year one of worldgen, one way or the other. Water-drown as a humanoid, air-drown as a carp. They need to be made amphibious.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Toady posted:

Let's see... jobs that are assigned in workshops can swipe items from haul jobs now, provided the hauler doesn't make it to the item before the item is needed.

I've also replaced the grab-a-container-and-then-collect-pile-items haul jobs with the ability for dwarves to haul multiple items without a container (as in fruit picking).

The piece that's still missing is the use of a wheelbarrow to avoid, for example, dwarves staggering around with tons of bars, but I'm going to put that off since it could be a quagmire. This hauling change only applies to the stockpile container jobs (bin/bag/barrel), since it was the one that caused the most trouble for people and other jobs are more difficult to adapt.

Holy poo poo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This...changes everything.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Toady just throwin' in multiple major game improvements with a few days work nbd

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty excited, this fort is getting near to FPS death and I want to start a new one.

When I let the world go for 500-1000 years it has tons of cool history but then most of the cool things like rocs and dragons have been dead for hundreds of years already. More vampires though - when I run worlds at 100-200 years I rarely get one but this fort at year 516 has 2 already. If I pump up the numbers of dragons and whatnot any decent number then they wipe out most of the civs.

What do you guys usually let worldgen get to?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Toady just throwin' in multiple major game improvements with a few days work nbd

Yeah I'm pretty amazed with this dev cycle, he's knocking out years old bugs and improvements people have been asking for.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So many wonderful improvements, it's a christmas miracle!

I may have to accelerate my plans to build a new PC.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah I'm pretty amazed with this dev cycle, he's knocking out years old bugs and improvements people have been asking for.

It's pretty obvious that he's been knocking out a whole lot of fundamental underpinning work over the last long drought between updates, and now he's capitalizing on it. Must be nice to not have to carry technical debt. . .

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

This is why I always tell you to take a chill pill when he's churning away and not visibly producing anything. :colbert:

I'm still as impressed as you lot, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think this should be a reminder to everyone that it's not a bad idea to give Toady a Christmas present of like five or ten bucks. God bless us, everyone.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I keep telling myself I'll come back to the game when he stops with this current update cycle and the game stabilizes at a single version for a while.

BUT HE KEEPS DOING STUFF.

Keep going Toady, please.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I have big plans in the next few weeks to get a fort going in 40.19, since DFHack and Dwarf Therapist are fully compatible. Not sure when that will happen again, once another patch comes out.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I love how Toady can spend 6 months implementing stuff that seems trivial to us (but is vital in his long-term plan) and then knock out 6 major gameplay improvements in a matter of weeks

there's beauty in such madness

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Is there a summary available of these major upcoming improvements? I haven't been keeping up with the thread. All I've picked up is some hauling improvements. (and queued designations? Did I read that right?)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The job allocation system has been totally uprooted. Jobs no longer find their dwarves.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The jobs formed a union.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Bad Munki posted:

The jobs formed a union.

Job Cancelled: Cannot Find Union Agreement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Major problem when the jobs themselves go on strike.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Gibbo posted:

Job Cancelled: Cannot Find Union Agreement.

Job Cancelled: interrupted by Wildcat Strike.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

The Great and Powerful Toad posted:

I added some different mining designations -- gems only (in the selected area as usual, unhidden tiles), economically useful only (including gems), and an automated designation that spreads to the same material when a job finishes. This can't be placed on layer-wide walls (so you don't mine out all the chalk in the universe), but it can be placed on walls which are part of large oval clusters (which the dwarf will proceed to mine out entirely), vein walls and small cluster walls. Road and wall/etc. construction jobs use two skill-free labor settings now, since skill didn't matter for constructions anyway.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

digv has made it into the base game, nice.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Neurion posted:

digv has made it into the base game, nice.

but not digl :argh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If he could somehow make dwarves take minecart routes set up for riding into account in the pathfinding so I can have a tram servicing my fort I'd be ecstatic.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to the updates in the OP, we have had a "stable" version of DF2014 for nearly a month now. Soothsayers and Bay12ers, what say you: are we winding down for another two-year development cycle or can we expect to see another spurt of activity? I have been actively avoiding DF2014 since its release this summer because I didn't want to have to deal with corrupted save files and constant updates, and am hoping we (will soon) have a version that I can engross myself into for days..

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I don't know man, Toady hasn't shown any signs of slowing down these releases with amazing gameplay updates. I do know that he seems to go out of his way to not break saves though, so maybe you'll be safe?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nietzschean posted:

According to the updates in the OP, we have had a "stable" version of DF2014 for nearly a month now. Soothsayers and Bay12ers, what say you: are we winding down for another two-year development cycle or can we expect to see another spurt of activity? I have been actively avoiding DF2014 since its release this summer because I didn't want to have to deal with corrupted save files and constant updates, and am hoping we (will soon) have a version that I can engross myself into for days..

I've just been a crippled quivering wreck and haven't even looked at it.

The current version is a highly stable 0.40.19, it came out on November 26th and all the utilities are up to date. We also haven't had save corruption/backwards compatibility breakpoints since version .03, so that's positive.

I'm expecting Toady to find a whole lot of things wrong with the new system down the line, so I'm not too confident of version .20 coming out this month.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

scamtank posted:

I'm expecting Toady to find a whole lot of things wrong with the new system

scamtank posted:

I'm not too confident of version .20 coming out this month.

I love Toady, but I don't see what these two statements even have to do with each other.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

counterfeitsaint posted:

I love Toady, but I don't see what these two statements even have to do with each other.

We could get a buggy .20 soon if he didn't find the problems, but he tends not to release with known regressions.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Looks like all the job priority goals have "Done, Next Release" status.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

quote:

Fortress's reputation as inn/tavern tracked

Holy crap. Dwarf Tavern!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The updates to Adventurer mode have me totally boggled/entranced. I might actually have to give it a shot when more of those updates are released.

I'm still having weird issues with burrows not being respected and animals not being pastured. Ducks and geese are chillin' in all the dining rooms. I do not know why, they are not pets nor are they available to become pets. This is EGG FORTRESS, get back to laying eggs! Coincidentally, my cook who was churning out masterwork lavish meals was possessed while gathering eggs and ended up losing his mind because I couldn't figure out exactly what kind of rock he was demanding. :eng99: Fisherdorf is still alive, though. That's all that matters.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Ghostwoods posted:

Holy crap. Dwarf Tavern!

Next update is going to be all about this. The latest DFtalk goes into detail about this if you want to know more about it, but another one of the great changes will be Dwarven civilization discovering the purpose of the mysterious mug!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

VerdantSquire posted:

The latest DFtalk goes into detail about this if you want to know more about it, but another one of the great changes will be Dwarven civilization discovering the purpose of the mysterious mug!

!!!!!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Does that mean they won't drink straight from the barrel anymore? Will they be able to carry their booze with them?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

One weird trick the cooper doesn't want you to know

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I have always wanted dwarves to be able to carry flasks around, and let them use them when they get thirsty to slake their thirst once before they need to refill it. In my head, they'd only be able to be made from metal, too, which would add some additional pressure to get a metalworks up (as dwarves who can just drink their flask on the spot and get back to work would be more efficient.)

Plus, I want to make flasks out of lead, only. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Glory of Arioch posted:

Plus, I want to make flasks out of lead, only. :twisted:

Pitchblende mugs for the nobles!