Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jivjov posted:

Anyone want to do some coin battles?

sure right after i play some timed matches... hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sitting Bull posted:

also if you think you can pocket it, you probably can. inlcuding zelda's down b.
Holy gently caress, I have to try this :stare:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Someone on here said that it was okay to play online before you finish all of the challenges since the online game will eventually be filled with hardcore gamers...

Just want to let you know that you're an idiot; online is already unplayable! Source: Playing for six hours and winning twice.

And no, I'm not just loving terrible, I can beat anyone with ease in real life and I have half the challenges completed. Not buying the 3ds version has apparently doomed me to eternal online failure.

That was me sorry you're bad :(

Seriously though I think the 3DS version just sold much more, so you would get matched against people that weren't great. Then there are people like me who bought a Wii U partially because Smash came out for it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

That was me sorry you're bad :(

Seriously though I think the 3DS version just sold much more, so you would get matched against people that weren't great. Then there are people like me who bought a Wii U partially because Smash came out for it.

Its interesting how much lower the Global Smash Power numbers are for doing really well on anything on WiiU are (like 300,000) vs doing well on the 3DS version (1,300,000). The handheld is a huge market, but we can't get that C-stick until next year....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reiley posted:

Its interesting how much lower the Global Smash Power numbers are for doing really well on anything on WiiU are (like 300,000) vs doing well on the 3DS version (1,300,000). The handheld is a huge market, but we can't get that C-stick until next year....

It's not even a stick, it's a little nub. I don't expect it to actually be any good for playing smash bros. But yeah it's sad that this version of the game sold so much less because it's so, so much better.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Having seen him far too much online... How did they manage to make Little Mac look so completely stupid looking when the Wii Punch Out had him looking kinda cool?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Turns out there's an upper limit to how many different amiibo you can use in a single playsession of Smash. If you do too many, the game will make you back out and save everybody you've used before letting you scan anyone else back in. You can scan back in amiibo that you've already used that session. Looks like, based on my save screen, this limit is 8 different amiibo.

KingsPawn
May 23, 2006
E4!
Are they going to release a Pac Man or MegaMan amiibo? Those are the only two I want!

Also, I'm not very good at fighting games so when I play smash and I read some of the stuff you guys are talking about, I get kind of lost. Like what the hell is tipping? Is that just referring to Lucina and Marth's sword hit box? Also, how do you do a short hop? Is it just a simple tap on the jump button or is it something else? Also, I never feel confident enough to go after someone when they are off the stage and potentially going to be off the screen. I see people take those risks and am always impressed!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Megaman is wave 3, Feb 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KingsPawn posted:

Are they going to release a Pac Man or MegaMan amiibo? Those are the only two I want!

Also, I'm not very good at fighting games so when I play smash and I read some of the stuff you guys are talking about, I get kind of lost. Like what the hell is tipping? Is that just referring to Lucina and Marth's sword hit box? Also, how do you do a short hop? Is it just a simple tap on the jump button or is it something else? Also, I never feel confident enough to go after someone when they are off the stage and potentially going to be off the screen. I see people take those risks and am always impressed!

Smash players are the dumbest with terminology compared to other fighting games, like doing basic things and making complicated names for them, don't feel bad. Everyone wants to be the first to discover something new then name it after themselves.

Tipping in regards to Marth is just hitting with the tip, yeah. Short hops are just very quick jumps, some characters have much better air moves than ground moves so it's better for them to approach in short hops than on the ground.

Usually chasing off the stage is possible if you're really confident about being able to recover back on, and you know your ranges well. You get used to it, you can do things like fast fall to get a surprise hit in, jump to cancel your fast fall, then recover back to the stage. Sometimes you mess up and die but that's how you learn

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

UK goon here I don't think I'm super great or anything but i'd be down for some smashing for sure, NNID is NonCaballo

also maybe a dumb question but do i also have to register dudes? I've never done this before on wii u

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 18, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Short hop's not just a fast jump, it's literally a jump that doesn't go as high as normal. It's just like in a Mario game where you jump higher based on how long you hold the button, except here in Smash, you short hop by just tapping the button for like a frame and you get a regular jump if you press it any longer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Reiley posted:

I use Quick Attack a lot which is up+b->new direction->other new direction in about a half second and I had serious responsiveness issues with the WiiU Pro Controller. The Wii one was actually more responsive but the stick sat so high up, the Gamecube controller rolls just right

I thought it was just mine, but there seems to be a noticeable dead zone in the middle of the stick. I tested it out and found that you can nudge the stick slightly in any direction without getting an onscreen response, which isn't the case with the gcn controller.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
That sounds like a neat control configuration, too. I'm always interested in hearing bout those since I'm really boring and never bother to go away from the defaults even thought it might benefit me to find something more comfortable by experimenting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bowser Jr question. When I'm in the HEAT OF BATTLE and I eject from my clown copter, before I fall to my death I've been able to hit one of the shoulder buttons and respawn my copter allowing me another chance at a jump. But I've been trying to recreate it just like in practice and can't get it to work. Are there certain conditions to make it work? Does the clown car have to be exploded a certain amount of time or does the other person have to knock me around some first before it will reset?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

Bowser Jr question. When I'm in the HEAT OF BATTLE and I eject from my clown copter, before I fall to my death I've been able to hit one of the shoulder buttons and respawn my copter allowing me another chance at a jump. But I've been trying to recreate it just like in practice and can't get it to work. Are there certain conditions to make it work? Does the clown car have to be exploded a certain amount of time or does the other person have to knock me around some first before it will reset?

It respawns on a timer if you don't touch the ground. You're just a flailing baby until then though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The hammer attack when he's falling is actually really strong with good KO ability though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

The hammer attack when he's falling is actually really strong with good KO ability though.

I know that but it was the copter respawn cause it's saved me a bunch of times. KOing people with that hammer is so satisfying

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Bowser Jr.'s recovery might be the best special in the game solely for the fact that no one ever expects it to be a killing move, especially the first time you pull it out.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Someone on here said that it was okay to play online before you finish all of the challenges since the online game will eventually be filled with hardcore gamers...

Just want to let you know that you're an idiot; online is already unplayable! Source: Playing for six hours and winning twice.

And no, I'm not just loving terrible, I can beat anyone with ease in real life and I have half the challenges completed. Not buying the 3ds version has apparently doomed me to eternal online failure.

I was the person that comment was directed to, and not only do I have 121/140 challenges done, but I actually went online for the first time last night and played like 20 For Glory matches and won most of them! :D

Full disclosure, been playing these since Smash 64, I had the 3DS version since launch and I have a Gamecube adapter. So I guess what I'm saying is...keep practicing and make sure you have a controller you're comfortable with...?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 18, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Calico Heart posted:

Bowser Jr.'s recovery might be the best special in the game solely for the fact that no one ever expects it to be a killing move, especially the first time you pull it out.

It's especially great if you can get it to connect with people that are trying to recover too.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Smash players are the dumbest with terminology compared to other fighting games, like doing basic things and making complicated names for them, don't feel bad. Everyone wants to be the first to discover something new then name it after themselves.

Tipping in regards to Marth is just hitting with the tip, yeah. Short hops are just very quick jumps, some characters have much better air moves than ground moves so it's better for them to approach in short hops than on the ground.

Usually chasing off the stage is possible if you're really confident about being able to recover back on, and you know your ranges well. You get used to it, you can do things like fast fall to get a surprise hit in, jump to cancel your fast fall, then recover back to the stage. Sometimes you mess up and die but that's how you learn

Bah, none of those terminologies are as bad as what they name certain neutral aerials.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Folt The Bolt posted:

Bah, none of those terminologies are as bad as what they name certain neutral aerials.

Ah yes, the "sex kick". Smashers are awful.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Ah yes, the "sex kick". Smashers are awful.

Especially funny when IIRC the guy named them that because of a strong initial thrust and weak followup.

AKA what smashers' sex would be like if they had it, amirite?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I thought it was just mine, but there seems to be a noticeable dead zone in the middle of the stick. I tested it out and found that you can nudge the stick slightly in any direction without getting an onscreen response, which isn't the case with the gcn controller.

I had this same issue, it's a pretty sizeable ring in the middle of the stick. Interesting to hear that mine isn't just an isolated incident.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or throw it behind you as you go forward.

Or throw it diagonally down and uppercut people on hit.

I played against a wicked Megaman last night, actually.

Is this Megaman's neutral B? How do you throw it behind you as yer moving forward? Wouldn't you activate his side-B instead?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Der-Wreck posted:

Is this Megaman's neutral B? How do you throw it behind you as yer moving forward? Wouldn't you activate his side-B instead?

You throw it at the ground and pick it back up. From there you can throw it in any direction you want.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

PantsBandit posted:

You throw it at the ground and pick it back up. From there you can throw it in any direction you want.

nice! thanks for the info. I love using megaman, just have to find more neat tricks with him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Der-Wreck posted:

nice! thanks for the info. I love using megaman, just have to find more neat tricks with him.

Nooope, he's wrong. It's kind of like the opposite of a moving n-air. You hit (neutral) B, and then within a couple of frames hit the direction you want to throw.

I mean, you CAN throw it down and pick it up as an item, but by using the special-move throw mode you can throw it DIAGONALLY!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DoctorWhat posted:

Nooope, he's wrong. It's kind of like the opposite of a moving n-air. You hit (neutral) B, and then within a couple of frames hit the direction you want to throw.

I mean, you CAN throw it down and pick it up as an item, but by using the special-move throw mode you can throw it DIAGONALLY!

People that correct me make me mega-MAD, homie. I'd watch my back if I were you....

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Electromax posted:

Especially funny when IIRC the guy named them that because of a strong initial thrust and weak followup.

AKA what smashers' sex would be like if they had it, amirite?

"This isn't as fast as last time, it sucks!!"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

PantsBandit posted:

No wonder people hate mega man!!! Because of scrubs, like yourself, spreading filthy lies!!

Just press B without pressing the stick and then quickly press the stick in any direction.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Registered some goons and up for a smash, the OP wasn't the best compilation of NNID's though so if yours isn't there it would be nice if you could all share them again at some point. As i said above, NNID is NonCaballo

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
NNID: netscape

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChaosArgate posted:

Short hop's not just a fast jump, it's literally a jump that doesn't go as high as normal. It's just like in a Mario game where you jump higher based on how long you hold the button, except here in Smash, you short hop by just tapping the button for like a frame and you get a regular jump if you press it any longer.

Actually in Mario 1 your jump height is determined by the speed you're going! :eng101:

And short hopping is done by letting go of the button before the character's jumping animation frames are over, so it's easier to do with slower characters since they tend to have more frames and whatnot.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Dropping, regrabbing, and throwing it as an item also increases the damage to 5 per hit, up from I think 3.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

Dropping, regrabbing, and throwing it as an item also increases the damage to 5 per hit, up from I think 3.

Yeah, but it goes poof if it hits a floor/walls/ceiling and you can't throw it at diagonals.

It DOES let you use it while having a Leaf Shield up, thought, which makes Leaf Gimping easier and even more satisfying.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've been trying to figure out pivot grabbing, since it's a thing people mention a lot on streams, but I think I'm not doing it right. From what I'm reading the pivot grab uses a standing grab animation but has a longer grab box, but when I do a pivot grab behind me I tend to end up with the dashing grab animation. I'm holding back when I hit grab, are you supposed to let go of the stick before doing a pivot grab?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reiley posted:

I've been trying to figure out pivot grabbing, since it's a thing people mention a lot on streams, but I think I'm not doing it right. From what I'm reading the pivot grab uses a standing grab animation but has a longer grab box, but when I do a pivot grab behind me I tend to end up with the dashing grab animation. I'm holding back when I hit grab, are you supposed to let go of the stick before doing a pivot grab?

Yeah you let go of the stick and hit grab just as the stick returns to the deadzone/neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Metal blade has a 50% chance of poofing upon hitting the ground. If it poofs then I'm just wasting time.

• Locked thread