Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pope Guilty posted:

Aggravated damage is handy because the only thing that resists Agg is Fortitude.

In theory, yes, but in practice the damage resists on the enemies in this game don't actually matter much with the exception of the Gargoyle, and even he is set so that aggravated damage still does less damage than a sledgehammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fuzz posted:

In theory, yes, but in practice the damage resists on the enemies in this game don't actually matter much with the exception of the Gargoyle, and even he is set so that aggravated damage still does less damage than a sledgehammer.

Always bet on Sledge.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fuzz posted:

The only benefits to it are that it looks cool and it uses Brawl, so if you stack Brawl with Fortitude you can just grab people and feed on them while attacks bounce off you... in fact, you will have to resort to that often later on because otherwise you'll just get blown away. Have fun fighting Ming Xiao with that combo, though! :suicide:

I don't remember having any trouble, but I admit I did wish I hadn't bought the war form.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The only page in Games I've ever read that was worse than the previous page of this thread was something in a Sonic thread where they were wailing about what was canon Sonic and what wasn't.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Actually forget it completely. I cause some of it and yes it's a bunch of stupid poo poo. Not in content, but the fact that it happened literally more than a decade ago.

In the end people are just bitter about the last people to handle the last decent vampire game.

Archonex posted:

Vampires are all in denial about being horrible bastards, for the most part. And if they're not in denial then they're usually sociopathic monsters that are bordering on becoming hunt-feed-sleep-repeat killing machines that need to be put down. The rare actually decent one that resists the negative parts of their existence inevitably gets taken advantage of (or killed more often than not) because their entire little society is dysfunctional as poo poo. And this is before you factor in that every biological part of their existence is basically built to drive them to batshit monstrosity too.

I always found it funny that a bunch of literal bloodsuckers get together for little meetings like they were the mafia. It's like if homosexuals had secret meetings and the entire time they are trying incredibly hard to act the exact opposite of gay. Except these guys and girls have been like that for hundreds if not thousands of years so... The image in my head is just way too funny.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 16, 2014

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Finished this game for the first time ever. I've played through santa monica and downtown a bunch of times earlier, but the one time I finished the sewers I got stuck in the Fu syndicate tower due to a bug. The game really takes a nosedive after the society of Leopold mission. So many labyrinths. Are all the builds as owerpowered as celerity and firearms with the Steyr aug?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Finished this game for the first time ever. I've played through santa monica and downtown a bunch of times earlier, but the one time I finished the sewers I got stuck in the Fu syndicate tower due to a bug. The game really takes a nosedive after the society of Leopold mission. So many labyrinths. Are all the builds as owerpowered as celerity and firearms with the Steyr aug?

Try celerity and a shotgun.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Well, gently caress you guys. I found this thread and after skimming through the first ten pages or so, I'm reinstalling this game from my original CDs. Time to do that Malkavian playthrough I never got around to.

I read the OP and the mods post pretty carefully, but I just want to make 100% sure - I need to install the official patch, the latest Wesp patch, and then if I want to I can install Camarilla Edition (not CQM) on top of that. And use the widescreen patcher. Is that all correct?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Skip the official patch, that's been bundled into WESP. Otherwise that's right.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Hmm...

What if I already installed 1.2? Will that gently caress up the WESP patch when it finally downloads a week from now?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It won't hurt it if you already did it, just figure it would save you a step.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Ok, cool, thanks.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
e: never mind

Martello fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 18, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Syncopated posted:

Celerity + magnum is even stronger. Celerity plus fire axe or bush hook are close.

Nothing else is even close. Celerity makes you invincible and quintuples your DPS -- pretty hard to beat.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

Celerity + magnum is even stronger. Celerity plus fire axe or bush hook are close.

Nothing else is even close. Celerity makes you invincible and quintuples your DPS -- pretty hard to beat.

A Brujah with Potence + Celerity + Tal'me'rah blade is the most powerful combat damage option in the game, by far. A large part of that is due to swords having a really fast animation set in this game.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Man this game is still so awesome. And I don't even mind the graphics. It just falls on the right side of the "too-old-to-look-at" 3D graphics aging line.

I forgot how perfectly annoying Knox's voice is.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Martello posted:

Man this game is still so awesome. And I don't even mind the graphics. It just falls on the right side of the "too-old-to-look-at" 3D graphics aging line.

The best part about Knox is Bertram basically telling you that you got played by a ghoul.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Only reason to pump up Inspection, and even that is only one dot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Martello posted:

It actually looks p. good if you force AA/Filtering and use an ENB.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Gyshall posted:

It actually looks p. good if you force AA/Filtering and use an ENB.

What's an ENB and how do you force it? Also how do I enable the console to fix the FOV? Something with the shortcut properties but I can't remember.

Also, installing this on my C drive, which is an SSD, was the best decision ever. Loading times are nothing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Martello posted:

What's an ENB and how do you force it? Also how do I enable the console to fix the FOV? Something with the shortcut properties but I can't remember.

Also, installing this on my C drive, which is an SSD, was the best decision ever. Loading times are nothing.

Start here:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_-_Bloodlines

ENB is a post processor filter for a bunch of games. I'd just stick to what is on that page for now though.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
With the camerilla mod installed which skills are still completely worthless?

I'm playing malkavian again (it just fits me way too much to not replay first as one) then I'm going to play that one clan I always forget the name of but they're basically like the social upper crust vampire that knows how to manipulate people socially.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 18, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

With the camerilla mod installed which skills are still completely worthless?

I'm playing malkavian again (it just fits me way too much to not replay first as one) then I'm going to play that one clan I always forget the name of but they're basically like the social upper crust vampire that knows how to manipulate people socially.

Ventrue, and no skill is truly worthless in Camarilla, that's the whole point.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Fuzz posted:

no skill is truly worthless in Camarilla, that's the whole point.

Then I think this may be much more worth my time than I give it credit for.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Didn't the Dementate dialogue used to be green crazy letters? Now it just looks like Dominate.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Just finished some Downtown sidequests using Wesp's patch and the Camarilla edition. The new quests for Tung involving that Akeem dude are pretty cool. The voice acting is good but they need a better microphone. Getting Celerity for my Malkavian was awesome. I doubt that's in accordance with canon but I give no fucks. Is Akeem a CE addition or a Wesp thing?

I'm heavily roleplaying my Malkavian ninja chick. Anytime I'm in a building with movable objects, I throw them all over the place so people KNOW I WAS THERE especially chairs over balconies in Skyeline Apartments. I also use Obfuscate to sneak into objective areas, do the thing (kill the guy, bomb the desk, etc), and then go visible and slaughter everyone noisily with my shin gunto and Hysteria. Seems like the right thing to do from a nutso Malkavian standpoint.

When does Heather come back to me again? It's been a while so I forget.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Martello posted:

When does Heather come back to me again? It's been a while so I forget.

I think Heather returns to you after you're given a new apartment in downtown.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Right, I think it's actually completing Elizabethan Rendezvous that does it, because not everyone gets that apartment. I don't think I ever have, actually. I guess when I play Tremere next I'll have to try making the Prince happy for a change.

I found the stop sign by Bishop Vick's that supposedly will have a conversation as a Malk, but there was no talk icon and E didn't do anything either. Is there a quest trigger for it, or do I need to have high levels of Dementation or what? Never mind, I found it, but still: on that topic, what does Insight really do besides cool creepy whispers and raise my Wits or whatever?

Martello fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 19, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Insight can be useful in conversations. If I recall correctly it also helps in finding hidden items and such. Although there's another skill specifically for that I'm pretty sure they work in conjunction.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Martello posted:

Right, I think it's actually completing Elizabethan Rendezvous that does it, because not everyone gets that apartment. I don't think I ever have, actually. I guess when I play Tremere next I'll have to try making the Prince happy for a change.

Tremere actually get a room in the Chantry when you meet with Strauss instead of the apartment so don't worry about that.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I know that, I just figured this would be a Camarilla loyal Tremere so I would play nice with Lacroix for that reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pretty sure she'll move into your Tremere place if you get it. And I think Tremere are incapable of getting the apartment from Lacroix.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Martello posted:

Never mind, I found it, but still: on that topic, what does Insight really do besides cool creepy whispers and raise my Wits or whatever?

The same thing that every discipline that's not celerity does: jack poo poo.

Fuzz posted:

A Brujah with Potence + Celerity + Tal'me'rah blade is the most powerful combat damage option in the game, by far. A large part of that is due to swords having a really fast animation set in this game.

Potence doesn't do anything as far as I can tell. I know what it's supposed to do but it doesn't do it.

Also I prefer the axe / hook to the sword because they don't have a lovely moveset. The sword misses a lot and is short enough that you get hit for using it sometimes unless you're being a Vampire tryhard which is the worst way to play the game.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 19, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I still get the feeling building characters is tricky even if camerilla is supposed to make every skill useful.
Is there a do-and-don't sort of FAQ character build document lying around?

I'm playing malkavian first then ventrue second if people just knew off the top of their head. It might be a common sense thing to some people but there are like more than 20 different skills and a lot of them aren't very clear about their usefulness like security or hacking. Even the skills which don't have one specific use like inspection and the such.

I'd probably be able to know if I played the table top but I don't. And I don't really want to get into lore that's both out of date and that will be impossible to use in real life.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 20, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure she'll move into your Tremere place if you get it. And I think Tremere are incapable of getting the apartment from Lacroix.

Yeah. Tremere and Nosferatu are locked into unique havens, and you can get Heather regardless of what clan you're in. I think that it's possible to miss her as a Nossie though because she still spawns outside the tower at a specific point even though you enter it through the sewer.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Sheep-Goats posted:

Potence doesn't do anything as far as I can tell. I know what it's supposed to do but it doesn't do it.

Also I prefer the axe / hook to the sword because they don't have a lovely moveset. The sword misses a lot and is short enough that you get hit for using it sometimes unless you're being a Vampire tryhard which is the worst way to play the game.

I know you're being hyperbolic for humor, but a lot of the other disciplines are extremely useful. Dementation on the whole is nice because it's like Dominate for conversations and it's always fun to just tell some dude something crazy so he does what I want. Hysteria is actually a pretty good power for how low it is on the ladder. Immobilizing an enemy so you can feed or just gently caress them up is pretty great.

As for Potence, I haven't played a Brujah since I bought the game in 05 or whatever but I remember it being pretty loving awesome as a brawler. Dudes died pretty loving quick when I hit them with my big ugly vampire fists.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Bearserker posted:

Tremere actually get a room in the Chantry when you meet with Strauss instead of the apartment so don't worry about that.

Pretty sure you can gently caress this up if you don't do some quests right. I did a playthrough where I didn't get the option to move in.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Pretty sure you can gently caress this up if you don't do some quests right. I did a playthrough where I didn't get the option to move in.

The big one is mentioning that you're working with the anarchs or mentioning to Isaac that the Gargoyle is a Tremere creation, I think.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The big one is mentioning that you're working with the anarchs or mentioning to Isaac that the Gargoyle is a Tremere creation, I think.

I think the triggers include asking him about the chantry and the pyramid, and later, how you approach the plague bearer quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Pope Guilty posted:

Republican Vampire posted:

I think the triggers include asking him about the chantry and the pyramid, and later, how you approach the plague bearer quest.

The specific things you have to do for the Tremere Haven are listed at the bottom of the OP. Always have been.

• Locked thread