Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Heners_UK posted:

The ThinkServer TS140 is currently the darling child for Plex/storage servers ots I believe.

Yup. It's been on sale at $199 a few times in the past couple weeks. Currently it's $219.99 shipped on Amazon for the 4GB/no HDD version. $324.99 for the 8GB RAM/1TB HDD one.

[edit] Now with link!
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkS...ds=Lenovo+TS140

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
How easy it is to set up a server like that? Does it come with some kind of os or would I need to buy something additionally?

Basically, I'm just wondering how feasible it is to set up for someone who has little to no experience with a server.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mike- posted:

How easy it is to set up a server like that? Does it come with some kind of os or would I need to buy something additionally?

Basically, I'm just wondering how feasible it is to set up for someone who has little to no experience with a server.

The TS140 comes with no OS installed, so you'd either need to buy a Windows license or install a supported Linux distro, e.g., Ubuntu, which is free. FreeBSD is also supported but I've never used that. How comfortable are you with upgrading/building PCs? If you get a TS140 with no HDD, you'd have to install that yourself, which isn't hard at all, but I can see that being an issue for someone who's never opened up a computer or built one for themselves.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I'm comfortable with doing stuff like installing hard drives but I've never used Linux so I don't know if installing something like Ubuntu is going to be difficult for me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mike- posted:

I'm comfortable with doing stuff like installing hard drives but I've never used Linux so I don't know if installing something like Ubuntu is going to be difficult for me

If you've ever created/used a bootable DVD/USB drive with an image of Windows you can install Ubuntu. I had never used/installed Linux up until till like 2 years ago, and I did so without a hitch on some second hand laptops and netbooks I received. The Ubuntu site even has a nice 10 step guide for people to follow: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

teagone posted:

If you've ever created/used a bootable DVD/USB drive with an image of Windows you can install Ubuntu. I had never used/installed Linux up until till like 2 years ago, and I did so without a hitch on some second hand laptops and netbooks I received. The Ubuntu site even has a nice 10 step guide for people to follow: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-desktop

Thanks for the help

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

People get the idea that servers are some special thing.

It's just a computer. The only thing that is different is the programs running on it.

You'll be fine.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I dig that server, but I need a very small unit to fit on my shelf, that server is too large. :-(

I'm debating trying to track down a 2012 Mac Mini, or build out a NUC.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It sounds like your shelf is not near the tv?

Why not get an older mac mini if you don't need the HDMI out?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

WeaselWeaz posted:

How is the X-Box 360 and Samsung clients? Starting to wish I'd bought a lifetime subscription before the price went up. I've been using an old Atom/Ion HTPC with Windows and it's getting slow.

Samsung TV client is usable but not the best. It works fine but I don't like the interface.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there an easy way to rename all my TV shows to match the Plex format?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there an easy way to rename all my TV shows to match the Plex format?

FileBot or theRenamer

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

iVI and iFlicks if you're using a Mac. Or you can run the Sickbeard post-processing scripts manually.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Plex is coming to PS4. Out in Europe now for Plex Pass members, coming soon in other regions.

https://blog.plex.tv/

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Also PS3, which is veryawesome.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
PS3 too? That is cool.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Quick question. I'm new to Plex, I purchased Plex Pass. I have Plex Media Server running on a dedicated Windows 8.1 machine.
With Plex Pass, I was under the impression that I should be able to stream my library when not at home? Is that correct? Is there a setting somewhere that I need to enable this?

When I go to http://plex.tv/web/app#, and I log in. It brings me to the Watch Later queue (no queued items), and on the left hand side, it shows the name of the computer I have Plex installed on, but says "We're sorry but we can't reach this server."

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are you on a VPN? You need to open firewall ports as well (or make sure they are forwarded per the PLEX settings on the server)

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

On my PMS, no VPN and 32400 has been opened.
I've tried via work computer and there could be firewall settings preventing that...unfortunately I cannot change those.
So then I tried on my smartphone, connected to mobile network and same thing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you're manually forwarding the port rather than using uPnP, did you set it up that way on the Settings>Server>Connect page in Plex?

And Plexpass isn't required to stream remotely, if you're paying monthly just for that. The premium mobile-sync features are for carrying episodes on portable devices for playing back later when you don't have internet.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 18, 2014

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I just found this online.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200289506-Connect

I'll go home and make sure that I have that box checked off. I know I manually port forwarded 32400 on my router....just not sure if I checked that box or not.

Thanks

Edit: Oh, I didn't know that remote streaming was free. Having said that, the PlexSync is still a feature that I use that's worth PlexPass. Plus, I have it instaleld on my Roku stick, so I got Plex for free there for my daughter's TV.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What does it mean that the PS4 app needs a separate server?

"No, really, when will it be available in my country? We really don’t have specific dates we can give you, it takes a while to work out all the details with Sony. Just know we’re working hard to make it available as widely as possible!
What about PlayStation® TV or PlayStation® Vita? Those devices have different software platforms, and we have no current plans to support them.
How long is the Plex Pass preview period? The preview period doesn’t last for a fixed amount of time. When the app is deemed ready to graduate, we throw a cap and gown on it.
Where are music, photos, and channels? We’re working hard to bring these features to the app (as well as the other apps which launched with video-only support).
Does it support Plex Home? There is no fast user switching yet, but you can sign into the app with any non-managed account and any restrictions set will be reflected.
Does the app support MKV? DTS? You can read this article to see all the details on supported media formats.
Does the app need a separate Plex Media Server? Yes, it does."

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I think they just mean it won't support playback from USB sticks or anything locally stored on the console.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Last night I realized I could use the plex.tv site to stream my videos to my browser at work. I had a particular series in mind and tested everything at home first using the website and it seemed to work fine. I get in today and I get the 'Error loading player: HTML5 Player not found' when trying to play them. Last night they worked fine so I remoted in to my home PC and now I'm getting the same error there. I'm using Chrome on Windows at home and Chrome on Mac at work. The files are mp4 video files and other videos I tested work but those are usually MKVs of actual movies. Playback to the Plex iOS app works without issue if that matters.

Any idea? PMS is updated and Chrome is updated as well. What could have changed in 10 hours?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Raymn posted:

Last night I realized I could use the plex.tv site to stream my videos to my browser at work. I had a particular series in mind and tested everything at home first using the website and it seemed to work fine. I get in today and I get the 'Error loading player: HTML5 Player not found' when trying to play them. Last night they worked fine so I remoted in to my home PC and now I'm getting the same error there. I'm using Chrome on Windows at home and Chrome on Mac at work. The files are mp4 video files and other videos I tested work but those are usually MKVs of actual movies. Playback to the Plex iOS app works without issue if that matters.

Any idea? PMS is updated and Chrome is updated as well. What could have changed in 10 hours?

Dumb question, but have you restarted PMS?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Walked posted:

Dumb question, but have you restarted PMS?

I did after running into the issue. I meant to mention that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maybe try the Plex chrome "app"?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plex/fpniocchabmgenibceglhnfeimmdhdfm?utm_source=chrome-ntp-launcher

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Huh. I don't know why this worked but it did. Thanks!

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
What does everyone use for that Transcoding setting, Seconds to Buffer before Throttling Transcoder? Can someone explain the benefits of increasing this beyond the default of 60 seconds?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

What does everyone use for that Transcoding setting, Seconds to Buffer before Throttling Transcoder? Can someone explain the benefits of increasing this beyond the default of 60 seconds?

I use the default settings, save for setting the Transcoder Quality to "Make my CPU hurt". Haven't had any issues.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

teagone posted:

I use the default settings, save for setting the Transcoder Quality to "Make my CPU hurt". Haven't had any issues.

What kind of CPU are you running?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

trilljester posted:

What kind of CPU are you running?

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Question:

I have Plex on my desktop and I will be reformatting at some point (or possibly building a second PC just to serve media).

Is there a way to backup my plex data, specifically just what I've watched and where I'm at in certain shows?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Walked posted:

Question:

I have Plex on my desktop and I will be reformatting at some point (or possibly building a second PC just to serve media).

Is there a way to backup my plex data, specifically just what I've watched and where I'm at in certain shows?

Yes, backup the Plex data directory. Should be listed within your Server settings (you may need to toggle Advanced mode to see it). Backup that directory, then reinstall after the format and replace the contents of the new data directory with your backup. Should be good to go.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That and you could have literally take 3 seconds to google it.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201539237-Backing-Up-Plex-Media-Server-Data

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a desktop PC acting as a media server for Plex, using an apple TV with plexconnect for viewing. Everything works great but when Plex has to transcode the fan on the computer is really loud and annoying. I know Plex doesn't do GPU transcoding but I'm still unsure of which fan it is that I'm hearing, the CPU or GPU. Is transcoding hearing up the case so much the GPU needs to cool off, or is it the CPU fan? Are there any tools I can run to monitor the fans to see which one is making noise so I know which one to replace?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I have a desktop PC acting as a media server for Plex, using an apple TV with plexconnect for viewing. Everything works great but when Plex has to transcode the fan on the computer is really loud and annoying. I know Plex doesn't do GPU transcoding but I'm still unsure of which fan it is that I'm hearing, the CPU or GPU. Is transcoding hearing up the case so much the GPU needs to cool off, or is it the CPU fan? Are there any tools I can run to monitor the fans to see which one is making noise so I know which one to replace?

Most likely your CPU fan. You can install HWMonitor to see how hot your CPU is getting during a transcode. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I solved my CPU fan problem by buying a new CPU, motherboard, and case. Now it's faster, smaller, more energy efficient, and quieter.

And it doesn't light up the living room like a Christmas tree anymore

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 22, 2014

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

teagone posted:

Yup. It's been on sale at $199 a few times in the past couple weeks. Currently it's $219.99 shipped on Amazon for the 4GB/no HDD version. $324.99 for the 8GB RAM/1TB HDD one.

[edit] Now with link!
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkS...ds=Lenovo+TS140

It's finally time to replace my 5-year-old ION box now that I'm trying to transition from XBMC/Kodi to Plex and make use of transcoding.

I just bought the $220 version of the ThinkServer TS140, other than hard drives and an IR receiver is there anything else I'm forgetting that I will need in order to use this as a combination Plex server/client? (It will be hooked up to a projector.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Parker Lewis posted:

It's finally time to replace my 5-year-old ION box now that I'm trying to transition from XBMC/Kodi to Plex and make use of transcoding.

I just bought the $220 version of the ThinkServer TS140, other than hard drives and an IR receiver is there anything else I'm forgetting that I will need in order to use this as a combination Plex server/client? (It will be hooked up to a projector.)

Considered skipping the IR receiver and putting the money toward a Roku, FireTV or whatever?

Put the noisy server in a closet and stream to a small appliance which can also do Netflix-type stuff well.