Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is such a stupid derail. Use the fuel your manual recommends. :ms:

For some reason, my facebook inbox has been blowing up with people I literally haven't spoken to in person for 10 years asking me to join their MLM pyramid scheme. Someone posted this stupid company that sells vitamins and dog toothpaste, LIFEVANTAGE!
http://www.abetterlifestartsnow.com/

I looked up their company's SEC filings. They have 200,000 active distributors and "preferred customers" (chumps who don't sell enough to get the "distributor" title)
Their total commissions paid out last year was $104M. Split across the entire population, that's $520 per person. Would you want to spend your own money to work for a company where some people were making millions, but the average salary was $520/year and the median wage was $30/year?

Well, look at their "EARNINGS STATEMENT" on the site (not to be confused with the real, non-fiction accounting document of the same name!)
See, even the lowly level 1 distributors are making an average of $120/month! I can make money here!
Well, the tail end of those level 1 distributors are making 10 cents a month. And they are the 65th percentile of "active distributors".
OK, easy, I just need to be better than 2/3rds of the current sales population, and work really hard, and I'll be all set.
Wait a minute, but that commission chart doesn't include the cost of sales, inventory, or materials? So you mean that some of those top 35% commission earners are still LOSING money here?
OK, I'll need to be a level 3 or better to cover my inventory costs, probably. So now I need to be in the 93rd percentile of salespeople, cozy in the top 7% with people who have been doing this for years and have an army of saps underneath them earning commissions for them.

EASY MONEY :retrogames:

edit:
Here's another one.

In my post history, I told a story about a family member who makes bad decisions about law and finance things.
She got stopped by a cop on her way driving to work. Her registration was expired, her car was uninsured, her license had been suspended, and there was a warrant out for her on these outstanding speeding tickets from like 2 years ago.
Maybe she got lucky because it was the end of the cop's shift or something, but he ended up just confiscating her driver's license and plate. She was told to finish driving to work, park the car there, and tow it wherever at the end of her shift, and please go to court, else the next time you'll probably go to jail.
She HAD over a thousand dollars in unpaid tickets. Now she has more. I guarantee she has spent probably $5k on weed and booze over the same time period. Now she's got to park her car and pay thousands of dollars in court fees/tickets/registration/penalties. Sigh.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
And the cost of the tow!

Wow, that's nuts - do you happen to know what kind of officer? (State, hwy patrol, city, etc.)

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Mhmm, gasoline derails. I expense my gasoline costs - good with money! (70 mile commute, bad with money).

Can we also talk about the fact that $80k super sports cars are bad with money unless you're making cash in underground street fights?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Richard M Nixon posted:

Mhmm, gasoline derails. I expense my gasoline costs - good with money! (70 mile commute, bad with money).

Can we also talk about the fact that $80k super sports cars are bad with money unless you're making cash in underground street fights?

I will thank you not to disparage my empty-high-rise street fights. They may not be underground but what they lack in grunge they make up for in profits.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I can't believe anyone drives a car that gets under 30MPG that isn't a tractor or steamroller. In Europe the only way you'd get a car that does 18MPG is if you drove over something sharp and it punctured your tank.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Laterbase posted:

I can't believe anyone drives a car that gets under 30MPG that isn't a tractor or steamroller. In Europe the only way you'd get a car that does 18MPG is if you drove over something sharp and it punctured your tank.

MPG is dangerous to compare here, since 1 Imperial Gallon roughly equals 1.2 US Gallons.

But yeah, gas is cheap here, parking spots are huge, so we drive larger cars. I call it the goldfish theory, we expand our cars to fit our open spaces, and then expand ourselves into the huge cars.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Laterbase posted:

Some people have multiple children. A Fit ain't gonna cut it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Some people have multiple children. A Fit ain't gonna cut it.
A Fit is actually a huge car inside and could easily be good enough for a family of five.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
A family of 5 Americans? :smug:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

cowofwar posted:

A Fit is actually a huge car inside and could easily be good enough for a family of five.

And for those rare times where you have more cargo than a Fit can handle, rent.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Sorry little johnny, you'll have to wait to go on vacation until we go pick up the budget rent-a-truck to haul you around.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MrEnigma posted:

MPG is dangerous to compare here, since 1 Imperial Gallon roughly equals 1.2 US Gallons.

But yeah, gas is cheap here, parking spots are huge, so we drive larger cars. I call it the goldfish theory, we expand our cars to fit our open spaces, and then expand ourselves into the huge cars.

A friend of mine rented a new Tahoe for work, and drove us to dinner last night in it. The thing is ENORMOUS inside and out. I felt like a kid in an adult-sized chair in the back of that thing. I cannot imagine how small someone's penis must be to need to buy something like that to commute in.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Yes, those rare occasions where a family of 5 needs groceries.

I see where certain cars can be bad with money, but come on, sometimes a slightly larger car is 100% justified.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

The rare part is needing 5 people (3 of them children in this example) to go grocery shopping.

But maybe that explains all the pandemonium I see at the supermarket lately...

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Anyone that doesn't just ride a horse everywhere is bad with money. A horse don't care about octane levels!

You guys have some of the stupidest things to get nit-picky about.

Edit: a story to get back to stories about people bad with money.

A guy I worked with a few years ago got "a huge raise" after yearly reviews, which I know was bullshit because no one got more than 3%. He went out and bought a brand new car, but did it as a lease for the first three years, and then he would finance the rest when the lease was up, so essentially, he was financing the car over 7 years. Drove the poo poo out of the car, went over his allotment of miles after 1 year, but hey, it doesn't matter since he's going to buy it anyways! Drops another $5k in aftermarket parts, and then 6 months later decides he doesn't want the car anymore. Turns it in at the end of the lease, lost the value of all the parts left on the car, paid a HUGE mileage penalty, and then went out and leased another brand new car.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 18, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DJCobol posted:

Anyone that doesn't just ride a horse everywhere is bad with money. A horse don't care about octane levels!

Horses are basically quadrupedal boats in terms of how bad with money they are. I knew a guy who pissed away a $200k inheritance over the course of less than a decade raising horses.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I see where certain cars can be bad with money, but come on, sometimes a slightly larger car is 100% justified.

Speaking as a Fit owner, I can comfortably say that thing is better at hauling cargo than hauling people. Rear seats aren't that roomy but they fold down so you have a lot of space in there when you need it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Cars have trunks and the Honda Fit is a hatchback. Either go to the store more often so you don't have to buy a month's worth, have fewer people go to the store (if 5 people are going then it sounds like both parents are home?), get a sitter for 2 hours, etc. In metro areas you can rent an SUV hourly with Zipcar or even rent a Zipvan if you need that much hauling.

I don't think owning anything that isn't a Toyota Corolla is necessarily bad with money, but as a non-car owner the endless excuses on why people need newer/bigger cars is usually just that.

And the idea that you can't go on vacation because you need to pick up a truck is absurd. Vacation is exactly when you do rent an SUV. It's not a huge burden to go pick up a car at Enterprise/Hertz before you leave on vacation. And it saves a ton of wear and tear on your personal vehicle.

Buy the car you need, not the car you need 10 times a year.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

Horses are basically quadrupedal boats in terms of how bad with money they are. I knew a guy who pissed away a $200k inheritance over the course of less than a decade raising horses.

Who said anything about raising them? Horses graze around on grass and poo poo right? Just let them eat all the grass in your yard, so you don't have to mow anymore. And then sell the horse poop as fertilizer. And then eventually you can sell the horse to a glue factory, so you are just saving/making money left and right. This is a can't lose proposition!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Laterbase posted:

Turns out high European MPG claims are heavily inflated:

http://www.economist.com/news/business/21636063-efficiency-european-cars-much-about-trickery-technology-fuels-paradise

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Bad with money; Dunedin City Council. The car fleet manager stole over $1m dollars plus interest.

Also bad with money the car fleet manager. He lived a lifestyle above his pay and has very little to show for it. Council started setting up systems to manage assets and ended up asking the fleet manager questions. Then he decided to kill himself. His estate owes the Council $1.5m.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/64282198/dunedin-15m-council-car-fraud-pinned-on-brent-bachop

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
30 MPG would be bad for a 7 person people carrier. A Peugeot 308 BlueHDi gets 91.1MPG can fit 5 people and groceries in the boot.

Step it up America.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Laterbase posted:

30 MPG would be bad for a 7 person people carrier. A Peugeot 308 BlueHDi gets 91.1MPG can fit 5 people and groceries in the boot.
Haha no it doesn't: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/peugeot/308-2014/16-bluehdi

After accounting for the different types of gallons, its real American MPG is 51. Still very good, although the Prius seems to be comparable.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Cicero posted:

Haha no it doesn't: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/peugeot/308-2014/16-bluehdi

After accounting for the different types of gallons, its real American MPG is 51. Still very good, although the Prius seems to be comparable.

To steer this back to bad with money chat, I've driven the same route as my mother in the same car in the same time and she gets 28MPG and I get 36. A lot of people are really fuel inefficient drivers. It's kind of to be expected though, at least in the UK there's nothing in the driving test about how to drive economically.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

MrEnigma posted:

Sorry little johnny, you'll have to wait to go on vacation until we go pick up the budget rent-a-truck to haul you around.

What the gently caress. Yes! Exactly! You just proved my point. This is exactly when you rent an SUV; to go on vacation! There are so many good cases for renting an SUV when you need to go on vacation rather than mall-crawling with one.

And you don't even have to go pick it up - Enterprise (and others) will pick YOU up!

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

Laterbase posted:

To steer this back to bad with money chat, I've driven the same route as my mother in the same car in the same time and she gets 28MPG and I get 36. A lot of people are really fuel inefficient drivers. It's kind of to be expected though, at least in the UK there's nothing in the driving test about how to drive economically.

There was when I took mine in 2008

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Laterbase posted:

We have so many long, straight roads that it's incredibly important to have at least 250HP in your commuter car so that you can properly enjoy them.

(also quite a few of those under 30MPG cars are European, sooooooo)

Rick Rickshaw posted:

What the gently caress. Yes! Exactly! You just proved my point. This is exactly when you rent an SUV; to go on vacation! There are so many good cases for renting an SUV when you need to go on vacation rather than mall-crawling with one.

People are ridiculous when it comes to monthly expenses VS lump expenses, though.

Pay an extra $250/month in car payments/insurance/gas for a giant SUV? Sure!
Pay $1000 to rent that same SUV once a year? gently caress NO WHAT A RIPOFF

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 18, 2014

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If paying the additional $2k a year to drive a SUV over a subcompact is such a bad with money strain on your budget, you should probably rethink that subcompact. (Assuming it's not $2k beater special)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dr. Eldarion posted:

People are ridiculous when it comes to monthly expenses VS lump expenses, though.

Pay an extra $250/month in car payments/insurance/gas for a giant SUV? Sure!
Pay $1000 to rent that same SUV once a year? gently caress NO WHAT A RIPOFF

You have no idea about building truck equity, do you? :colbert:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

If paying the additional $2k a year to drive a SUV over a subcompact is such a bad with money strain on your budget, you should probably rethink that subcompact. (Assuming it's not $2k beater special)

If you think like this in regards to an SUV purchase, where does it end?

"I'll drink Starbucks three times a day because, really, if that extra $14.50 per day strains my budget compared to making it at home, I probably shouldn't drink coffee at all."

I know the percentages in this example are a bit more extreme than the SUV example, but it still demonstrates that hand-waving potential efficiency gains is what gets us into trouble financially over the long-term.

I think avoiding SUV ownership to save $2k a year is a very worthwhile lifestyle efficiency gain. Especially when compared with other ways to save $2k, such as eating only Ramen noodles, for example.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 18, 2014

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

blugu64 posted:

2k a year is a shitload of money. It's not exactly easy to come up with an extra 160 bucks a month.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I was amazed at how much more money a crossover is compared to a similar hatchback. They want like $5k for a little bit more ground clearance and a little more room.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Chiming in on rental chat - renting the most ridiculous luxury vehicles enterprise offers (choice of a convertible or an Escalade) is a hundred bucks a day if you're booking a few weeks in advance (in my region). You're going to have to go on a lot of extended vacations to make owning the bigger car worth it.

MrEnigma posted:

That poor kid, having to wait twenty minutes before the vacation starts!

If you take your partner and all your kids grocery shopping every week, then sure, spring for an Altima or a Prius or even a Rav4. Many cars are used for one person to commute, and to go shopping alone, almost exclusively. No sense in doing that in an f150 King cab

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

DJCobol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

gently caress your honda civic, indeed.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

DJCobol posted:

Who said anything about raising them? Horses graze around on grass and poo poo right? Just let them eat all the grass in your yard, so you don't have to mow anymore. And then sell the horse poop as fertilizer. And then eventually you can sell the horse to a glue factory, so you are just saving/making money left and right. This is a can't lose proposition!

Plus you build horse equity!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If you get really hungry, you can just make a nick on the horse's neck and drink the blood. Hell, you can make alcohol with the horse milk if you get a female one.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MrEnigma posted:

Yeah I often decide to take a family vacation on the spur of the moment.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

MrEnigma posted:

I'm with this guy. Who ever heard of renting a car on vacation!?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

The whole concept of owning a car is bad with money (except if you live in a rural area).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

My parents have been doing this forever. They drive between the Southern US to Canada all the time and it gives them peace of mind. If you break down, the rental company will come and exchange your car which is worth a lot. Not putting a billion miles on your car is really just a bonus. It's also pretty cheap if you do it right. We get it for usually $20-$30 a day.

• Locked thread