Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So, useful info for people:

Major Gameplay Bugs and Warnings:
Trading - Any delivery that delivers more of an in-demand good than a station has demand will apparently turn that station into a permanent supplier (whether a player, npc, or background delivery). This is part of the cause of the weird "why the hell does this place import but not demand" problem, but only part. Trading is still pretty hosed up overall. Background trading seems to completely disregard prices and profits. Don't trust the map data, especially in populated systems.

Combat and Reputation - War missions, and Imperial missions in general, currently seem exceptionally bugged. Completely missions will actually tank your rep. Be careful. I'd avoid the slave war for now. Although some missions that should make the Empire hate you appear to make them love you, so it's basically random. Participate at your own risk.

Destroying a factions ships no longer makes them unhappy with you - It seems like it should, but it doesn't, so now is a good time to go bounty hunting or pirating since no one cares! It seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BaconPigbutt posted:

Since I did my first rare good run last night, I was pretty happy with the idea of spending my time tonight doing the same. :negative:

That said, I do agree with the nerf. And the whining on the forums is amazing.

The devs must be terrified of all these players who already bought the game threatening to take a break from this days-old game.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Knifegrab posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people :psyduck:

You do realize you can fly around in space in any ship and you are still flying in space!?

Fuckin poo poo dude, there's volcanic planets, ice rings, black holes, neutron stars, and phat rear end space stations. Just do that poo poo. Fuckin space bro.

What's the closest Black Hole to Big Harry's?

Imagine if you killed someone, took their rares, then recorded yourself jettisoning the rare goods into a black hole. The tears would be worth the lost profit...

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I don't particularly see it as "whining" if you have a problem with a decent way to make money being nerfed (supply severely limited) then nerfed again (supply now bound to a magical arbitrary invisible number per account). It already took a lot of time waiting around to get a cargo hold full of Rares. Now it's not even a viable activity.

Then again a lot of players are stuck in a typical MMO mindset of powergaming to huge money which isn't really a component of this game.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Byers2142 posted:

What's the closest Black Hole to Big Harry's?

Imagine if you killed someone, took their rares, then recorded yourself jettisoning the rare goods into a black hole. The tears would be worth the lost profit...

The really loving cool thing about E:D is that they strove for actual accuracy when building the galaxy. The closest black hole in reality will more than likely be the closest black hole in-game, meaning V404 Cygni or V4641 Sgr, which are ~1,700 ly and ~1,600 ly away respectively. V4641 could actually be several times further away than that, but as it turns out black holes are difficult to pin down so we don't really know. Frontier may have just slapped it down at the 1700 mark, you'll have to check the galaxy map.

In any case, that would be a pretty long trip just to crush some poo poo. It'd be a couple hours just to get there in an A FSD fit Asp.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
This change means that you can no longer:

Idling (really idling or multitasking) to fill up on one rare
Filling up a large cargo hold on rares by orbiting through a small group of rare stations nearby each other.

But anything cobra-sized or smaller can still run through a 5 rare station cluster and fill up.

They're effectively tuning rares to still be great money for early players while breaking their large-hold scalability.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rotation Confusion posted:

This change means that you can no longer:

Idling (really idling or multitasking) to fill up on one rare
Filling up a large cargo hold on rares by orbiting through a small group of rare stations nearby each other.

But anything cobra-sized or smaller can still run through a 5 rare station cluster and fill up.

They're effectively tuning rares to still be great money for early players while breaking their large-hold scalability.

It does unfortunately make it so stations with rares that aren't near other stations with rares will rarely be visited or used.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Unzip and Attack posted:

I don't particularly see it as "whining" if you have a problem with a decent way to make money being nerfed (supply severely limited) then nerfed again (supply now bound to a magical arbitrary invisible number per account). It already took a lot of time waiting around to get a cargo hold full of Rares. Now it's not even a viable activity.

Did they make that change today? Because Tuesday I bought a load of kitten coffee and logged off, when I logged in yesterday more were in stock so I bought them then headed off.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
There are a couple physics simulation things that really bum me out. For instance there really are no gravitational effects in this game other than the way gravity wells affect super cruise.

And secondly, if you eject cargo, eventually they stop moving. Eject a piece of cargo and then ram it with your ship. Eventually it stops spinning/moving which makes ZERO sense in space.

I am not trying to say this game should be a totally awesome newtonian simulation, but it seems weird that it works the way it does.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Knifegrab posted:

There are a couple physics simulation things that really bum me out. For instance there really are no gravitational effects in this game other than the way gravity wells affect super cruise.

And secondly, if you eject cargo, eventually they stop moving. Eject a piece of cargo and then ram it with your ship. Eventually it stops spinning/moving which makes ZERO sense in space.

I am not trying to say this game should be a totally awesome newtonian simulation, but it seems weird that it works the way it does.

Oddly enough, disable an enemy ship's thrusters and it will NOT stop spinning, or moving!

Shouldn't have rammed that bastard, I couldn't catch up afterwards. Hope you like the cold black, jerk!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Frank Horrigan posted:

The really loving cool thing about E:D is that they strove for actual accuracy when building the galaxy. The closest black hole in reality will more than likely be the closest black hole in-game, meaning V404 Cygni or V4641 Sgr, which are ~1,700 ly and ~1,600 ly away respectively. V4641 could actually be several times further away than that, but as it turns out black holes are difficult to pin down so we don't really know. Frontier may have just slapped it down at the 1700 mark, you'll have to check the galaxy map.

In any case, that would be a pretty long trip just to crush some poo poo. It'd be a couple hours just to get there in an A FSD fit Asp.

I knew they went for accuracy, I just didn't know where Jotunheim fell in the night sky or in comparison to black holes. In fact, the overall feel of space (it's big, it's roughly Newtonian in normal drive) is a big plus for me. Now I just need to get used to flying with assist off; screw turning battles, I'll just use thrusters to fly sideways/backwards and keep on target the whole time.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Wait, can I fly into a black hole? I want to fly into a black hole.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

GlyphGryph posted:

So, useful info for people:

Major Gameplay Bugs and Warnings:
Trading - Any delivery that delivers more of an in-demand good than a station has demand will apparently turn that station into a permanent supplier (whether a player, npc, or background delivery). This is part of the cause of the weird "why the hell does this place import but not demand" problem, but only part. Trading is still pretty hosed up overall. Background trading seems to completely disregard prices and profits. Don't trust the map data, especially in populated systems.

I'm glad to see that they're looking into the economy problem, it's been a real mess since before release.

Virginia Blend
Jan 5, 2010
Well I bought an Adder to hopefully #1 Kill Bounties #2 Jack illegal cargo from said bounties and sell it.

Kinda thinking I should forgo the cargo part and just grab an Eagle to hunt bounties with.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Knifegrab posted:

I get what you mean, but at the same time, simulations of physics can be the biggest ressource intensive thing on a graphic or processor card (depending on where they draw their ressource from). I saw some amazing stuff a few years ago from some cards entirely dedicated to physics, back when tech engineers where dreaming that computers would have a cpu, a graphic card and a physic card. But yeah... still waiting (hoping) for that.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

So I'm trying to return from the Orion nebula. Every third system crashes me.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Byers2142 posted:

I knew they went for accuracy, I just didn't know where Jotunheim fell in the night sky or in comparison to black holes. In fact, the overall feel of space (it's big, it's roughly Newtonian in normal drive) is a big plus for me. Now I just need to get used to flying with assist off; screw turning battles, I'll just use thrusters to fly sideways/backwards and keep on target the whole time.

Inhabited space taken all together accounts for such a shockingly small part of the galaxy that you can estimate using Earth distances and be accurate to around 100 ly most of the time.

SquadronROE posted:

Wait, can I fly into a black hole? I want to fly into a black hole.

You'd overheat and explode first. No cool Interstellar-style shenanigans. :smith:

BlueGrot posted:

So I'm trying to return from the Orion nebula. Every third system crashes me.

Crash or disconnect? If the latter, it could because there's a fuckload of systems around most nebulae that require system permits, and for whatever reason the server doesn't always tell your client this when looking at systems on the galaxy map. So you try to jump to it, and the server goes "wait, you're not supposed to be here" and boots you out.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
Really excited for the future of this game. I mean come on fully explorable planets, cant wait.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Frank Horrigan posted:

Inhabited space taken all together accounts for such a shockingly small part of the galaxy that you can estimate using Earth distances and be accurate to around 100 ly most of the time.

You'd overheat and explode first. No cool Interstellar-style shenanigans. :smith:

Crash or disconnect? If the latter, it could because there's a fuckload of systems around most nebulae that require system permits, and for whatever reason the server doesn't always tell your client this when looking at systems on the galaxy map. So you try to jump to it, and the server goes "wait, you're not supposed to be here" and boots you out.

That's unfortunate.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

I tried to write that off by saying to myself that the cargo containers could have some type of stabilizing element built into them just so that people don't have to chase them for hours to get them back in case of an accidental bump.

Then I noticed that rock chunks from asteroids stop spinning/drifting as well and.. well.. :smith:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Frank Horrigan posted:

I'm not convinced that those systems actually require permits. I know it's a thing that is said, but I'd find a whole heap of systems that had 'permit required' stuck on them and then the next night those same systems were open and didn't require permits. Basically, any time I've seen a 'Permit Required' system out in uninhabited space it never stayed that way, it would always go away the next time I'd load up the game.

LCL-Dead posted:

I tried to write that off by saying to myself that the cargo containers could have some type of stabilizing element built into them just so that people don't have to chase them for hours to get them back in case of an accidental bump.

Then I noticed that rock chunks from asteroids stop spinning/drifting as well and.. well.. :smith:

Mining would be so much more frustrating if the things didn't lose inertia. Tons of things in this game are the way they are because it's a game, I've tried not to let it bother me because I'm having a ton of fun anyway and regardless of how much we all bitch, the game is better than it was every time we fire it up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Virginia Blend posted:

Well I bought an Adder to hopefully #1 Kill Bounties #2 Jack illegal cargo from said bounties and sell it.

Kinda thinking I should forgo the cargo part and just grab an Eagle to hunt bounties with.

I have a kitted out eagle I've been bounty hunting with, RE points are awesome fun and get more intense the longer you stay at them. But I'm actually switching to pirate now, and bought myself an Adder, so we'll see how this works. Cargo can potentially be a lot of free money, and when you can get bounties on top...

But the list of components I need is so large. KWS, Cargo Scanner, Interdiction component, actual combat equipment, storage space, a wake scanner would be nice too. I'm gonna skip the limpet controller at first and go all-gimballed and try to shoot out cargo hatches, but if that doesn't work well I might need a limpet controller too.

We'll see how it goes. Definitely a bit of a startup cost.

Going pure bounties also means you don't have to worry about where to sell stolen goods - goods taken from bounty targets still count as stolen.

Maj._Victory
Sep 16, 2007

BUILD MORE CITY WALLS!
Ramrod XTreme
With all this talk of black holes I decided to see if anyone had figured out what the closest black hole in the game was and found this thread on the frontier forums: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50952

Looks like the closest one is in a system called p Puppis, just 225ly from Sol. However, if you want to search for it in the map look for HIP 36917. If you type in p Puppis in the search you'll get P Puppis which is a different system much further away, something that the terribly helpful folks on the frontier forums failed to mention.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Maj._Victory posted:

With all this talk of black holes I decided to see if anyone had figured out what the closest black hole in the game was and found this thread on the frontier forums: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50952

Looks like the closest one is in a system called p Puppis, just 225ly from Sol. However, if you want to search for it in the map look for HIP 36917. If you type in p Puppis in the search you'll get P Puppis which is a different system much further away, something that the terribly helpful folks on the frontier forums failed to mention.

Looks like I've got a goal! Get to HIP 36917.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Can anyone help me out? I've just bought a Viper and started working on bounty hunting, and the first time I went to a resource extraction zone I managed to get a kill on a wanted Anaconda, giving me a 100,000c or so bounty voucher, but when I docked at the nearest outpost there was no sign of the bounty to turn it in. Am I just dumb or is it gone for some reason?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I managed to get the killing blow on a python at a nav beacon (largely because the police and the other player who were competing for the kill spent more time shooting me than it), got an announcement of a 72k bounty and then when I check the left hand panel it's not there. I thought they'd fixed that bug in beta 2 or so? :argh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Can anyone help me out? I've just bought a Viper and started working on bounty hunting, and the first time I went to a resource extraction zone I managed to get a kill on a wanted Anaconda, giving me a 100,000c or so bounty voucher, but when I docked at the nearest outpost there was no sign of the bounty to turn it in. Am I just dumb or is it gone for some reason?

You've got to cash it in with the faction that offered the bounty. They might not control the outpost you docked at or be allied with those who do. For example, in Jotunheim, you can cash in Revolutionary bounties with either the Revolutionary's (Big Harry's) or the Gold Company (one of the outposts). The other outpost, however, is an Imperial outpost, and won't cash system bounties... but will cash Imperial bounties, which is convenient if you're using a KWS.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Check your Transactions panel, it may be a bounty for a different faction than the station you're docked in.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Like has been said, the total amount announced in blue on your HUD is a total for all the bounties they have. If you scanned the target with a kill warrant scanner then chances are that you get a bit of a bounty from each faction. You turn in Federation bounties to Federation-controlled stations, Imperial ones to Imperial-controlled stations and Alliance bounties to Alliance-controlled stations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

I managed to get the killing blow on a python at a nav beacon (largely because the police and the other player who were competing for the kill spent more time shooting me than it), got an announcement of a 72k bounty and then when I check the left hand panel it's not there. I thought they'd fixed that bug in beta 2 or so? :argh:

I've found when this happens it's often a delay. If I check it again a few minutes later it shows up. I think it's a bug with the net connection not updating things properly.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This is why I like my federation bounties in my federation systems..

Not that I like the federation or anything. Bounty hunting is simple when you don't have to look up the proper faction.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

This is why I like my federation bounties in my federation systems..

Not that I like the federation or anything. Bounty hunting is simple when you don't have to look up the proper faction.
If you use a KWS you may still get bounties from other sources as well. In some systems I've started raking up bounties from all three Major factions as well as a local Minor faction.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Okay cheers, I'll check which faction it's for. Unfortunately it's in LHS 3447 so all the other stations are like 110,000ls away, but oh well, the credits will be worth 10 minutes in supercruise I suppose.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

If you use a KWS you may still get bounties from other sources as well. In some systems I've started raking up bounties from all three Major factions as well as a local Minor faction.

I'm working up to one. Just jumped into a Viper, prematurely, so I've got to start over on the outfitting side of the house.

I want to work up eventually to get some countermeasures, a KWS scanner and all of the other mandatory upgrades before I relocate my pleb rear end to Big Harry's and begin branching out from there.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Everyone who plays this owes it to themselves to check out a black hole. The gravitational lensing effect even if it ~*~isn't 100% scientifically accurate~*~ is impressive and you can only really get the full effect by seeing it in person.

Also folks need to let go of things added for the sake of game play. Velocity bleeding on rocks and cargo pods is one of those things.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Beta-1 Tucanae right next to Big Harry's is a pretty good system! It's an imperial high tech world with nearly all the ships and parts you'd want, and it has resource extraction zones only 35 Ls away from the station for easy bounty hunting.

Also toucans!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay cheers, I'll check which faction it's for. Unfortunately it's in LHS 3447 so all the other stations are like 110,000ls away, but oh well, the credits will be worth 10 minutes in supercruise I suppose.

You might also be able to cash them in other systems if they are a major faction bounty, and the local outpost just isn't that faction.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm in this system too, I thought my game was broken because it was taking so long to cross the system, nope turns out space is just really big

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Lima posted:

Beta-1 Tucanae right next to Big Harry's is a pretty good system! It's an imperial high tech world with nearly all the ships and parts you'd want, and it has resource extraction zones only 35 Ls away from the station for easy bounty hunting.

Also toucans!

Atlantis and Beta-1 Tucanae are both great systems, and Gondul has two different outposts with a whole bunch of smuggling missions which are also great in completely different ways.

The only thing this corner of space is missing is a nearby Anarchy system. We really need to fix that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Everyone who plays this owes it to themselves to check out a black hole. The gravitational lensing effect even if it ~*~isn't 100% scientifically accurate~*~ is impressive and you can only really get the full effect by seeing it in person.

Also folks need to let go of things added for the sake of game play. Velocity bleeding on rocks and cargo pods is one of those things.

One of these days, after I've saved up some cash, I'm going to equip an A class FSD and dual heatsink's to a freagle or sidewinder and attempt to drive it into a black hole. It will be awhile though and the heatsink's will be there solely to bleed off the heat as I get close to it.

I wonder how long I'll last.

• Locked thread