Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Tippis posted:

But… without flat spins, how will you be able to cite Top Gun properly? :confused:

Action Groups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Roflex posted:

Those would be EVA reports, not crew reports.

The main problem is whenever you're in the air above KSC it counts as "flying over shores" and not the individual buildings.

Yeah, when using ScienceAlert, there's the smallest fraction of a second when the toolbar flashes NEW SCIENCE, which I assume is the rolling command pod achieving the "flying over" state (much like the "EVA flying over" state). The problem is I can't click the crew report/EVA button on the active ScienceAlert menu to snag it before it goes away, and without action groups available, I can't blindly spam and pray.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Red stuff appears when I click tracking station or VAB or SPH:

What's with the bugs in this version, man :(

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Inacio posted:

Red stuff appears when I click tracking station or VAB or SPH:

What's with the bugs in this version, man :(

Look in your output_log.txt file (in KSP_Data). That'll give stack traces for those errors, which might show if the errors are from a mod.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

There an easy way to tell if NEAR is actually working, then? The atmosphere feels as soupy as ever.

(edit) Put a pod on the starter booster, should have gotten to insane speeds almost right away but got stuck at 200m/s for a while. Definitely not working :(
NEAR 1.3a doesn't work with 0.90. You'll notice it by the CoL not changing when you add/move wings.

1.3.1 or newer is the version you want, but CKAN thinks 1.3a > 1.3.1.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

eth0.n posted:

Look in your output_log.txt file (in KSP_Data). That'll give stack traces for those errors, which might show if the errors are from a mod.

This isn't very specific: http://pastebin.com/syDudULF

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Inacio posted:

This isn't very specific: http://pastebin.com/syDudULF

Look at line 729. It's almost certainly a problem with RealChute.

The way KSP works, if an uncaught exception happens, the game will keep running, but often some part of it will be messed up, and cause further errors that seem unrelated to the initial error.

edit: Or, actually, it might be KSPAchievements failing at line 226 that kicks off the problems. That one isn't from a mod.

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 18, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is that from a pre-0.90 save or did you start a new one after the patch?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Is there a way to cheat myself science? I want the tech tree, and I want the contracts and all the rest of career mode, but I don't want to bother wasting time with science gathering.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

HonorableTB posted:

Is there a way to cheat myself science? I want the tech tree, and I want the contracts and all the rest of career mode, but I don't want to bother wasting time with science gathering.

Yes, navigate to your KSP/saves/yoursavename folder and open persistent.sfs. Then search for 'sci =' and change the number.

E: turns out lots of things have 'sci =' in then, search for 'name = research' and then the science value you want should be only a few lines below that.

VV Even better.

Sokani fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 18, 2014

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Press Alt+F12 on the KSC screen, click the cheat window, hold Alt+Shift for some time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

HonorableTB posted:

Like they said, cheat menu or edit your save. You could also do a custom difficulty on career to give you a bajilloon science.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

HonorableTB posted:

You can abuse the Funds->Science strategy and do this, without real cheating.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thanks!

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Luneshot posted:

I had some issues with converting all my textures to DDS, so I just left the DDSLoader plugin in my folder and went back to ATM. That way I can still handle it if mods start using DDS textures.

Away from home so I can't check, but has 0.90 fixed the "TGAs load as blank white, PNGs dont get mipmapped, MBMs sometimes load with crazy jpeg artifacts for no reason" issues? I mean any of those three issues really, I'll take what I can get.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I hear of a way that you can totally cheat to get science. All you need to do is make some craft with science instruments and shift them all over the place taking samples and returning them to KSC.

When you do it, Kerbalizer will unlock as secret feature allowing you to use it to make custom Kerbals in game.

Oh wait it's not the 80's / 90's any more. I miss all the misinformed rumours and bullshit stories that used to circulate.

By the way...

Maxmaps. have you all forgotten about Kerbalizer? The only reason I actually paid for it when it was released was the possibility of it being used to make usable Kerbals in the future.

The future is now! Grasp your destiny with both hands and move onward. Onward and Upward!

Seriously, c'mon man. Now that Kerbals have been given personalized skillsets and can gain XP they are more than green meat(?) for the aerospace grinder. Giving them individualized, even customizable appearances will really help people consider them as individuals and take a bit more care with missions rather than clones with some stats attached.
Everybody loves Jeb because he's got a flag set that makes him an insane badass. Besides a few other random Kerbals that have the flag set, none stand out in any way.
Why not allow individualizing the appearance of Kerbals that are now individuals.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I want to be able to name my kerbals after my friends, like XCOM.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Splode posted:

That does not bode well for those kerbals' longevity. :ohdear:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Splode posted:

That made me think of XCOM to. I think in both the idea is that you allow for customization, so it hurts even more when they inevitably die in terrible/hilarious ways.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They could come in as kerbal contractors; they don't work for the KSP itself, but are contracted as support for potentially.. energetic launches.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Splode posted:

That sounds like a very simple and straight-forward solution.
Obviously, the :jeb: way is to just find new friends whose names match your kerbals.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Count Roland posted:

That made me think of XCOM to. I think in both the idea is that you allow for customization, so it hurts even more when they inevitably die in terrible/hilarious ways.

Yes! That's it!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

This sounds more like Oregon Trail to me.

Here Lies FARTBALLS, died of Rapid Unplanned Disassembly

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tippis posted:

That sounds like a very simple and straight-forward solution.
Obviously, the :jeb: way is to just find new friends whose names match your kerbals.

Bill, Bob, and depending on how rustic your location is, Jeb should be doable. But the rest... uh... A wad of bills and some paperwork?
"You shall be Billy-bobmon"
"You will be Dudger"
"You took my money, now stop complaining and sign your name away! You call yourself a friend."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Luceo posted:

More like, "Here, here, here, and over there lies FARTBALLS..."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Isn't one benefit of steamworks integration the ability to scrape your friends list for names?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Isn't one benefit of steamworks integration the ability to scrape your friends list for names?

Hahaha, now we're talking!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I gotta say, the low funds and slow science really brings out the engineer in you, and it's excellent being able to really get a feel for each individual part before it's quickly obsolete.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Luceo posted:

here lies andy

peperony and hydrazeen

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Trivia posted:

I gotta say, the low funds and slow science really brings out the engineer in you, and it's excellent being able to really get a feel for each individual part before it's quickly obsolete.
Yeah, having to do many similar missions (and the weight and part limit) mean my designs actually resemble real rocket development, my current lifter is only my second brand new design, but is at the fourth iteration even though version one worked. Before, you only really went to orbit twice before heading to the moons, then other planets, so my designs usually got used once then were completely replaced.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I lost Jeb due to attempting to enter the atmosphere at a 90 degree angle at like 2.5 km/s. Deadly Reentry's g-force damage doesn't poke its head up often, but it's really frustrating when it does.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Luneshot posted:

I lost Jeb due to attempting to enter the atmosphere at a 90 degree angle at like 2.5 km/s. Deadly Reentry's g-force damage doesn't poke its head up often, but it's really frustrating when it does.

I think we can safely blame you for trying a 90 degree entry angle with that mod on.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dude, not even DR, just FAR is enough sometimes. I tried doing a munar free return and came home at like 3600m/s. My ship was torn apart.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I think we can safely blame you for trying a 90 degree entry angle with that mod on.

I legit forgot it was installed, I was using the mk1 pod with the integrated heatshield so I wasn't even thinking about it. Most of the time I do the standard "aim for 30km" anyway, so I forgot that g-force damage was even a thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What's the upper bound on the "visual survey above ____km" objective? Do you have to be close enough for it to count as "near space", or is anywhere in the SOI good enough?

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

ToxicFrog posted:

What's the upper bound on the "visual survey above ____km" objective? Do you have to be close enough for it to count as "near space", or is anywhere in the SOI good enough?

The SOI. You can be anywhere in it as long as you pass over the waypoint. Of course, it's tougher to accurately pass over them the higher you go.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The land-then-EVA-report surveys are pretty obnoxious, as there's little indication (other than a quick line of text) that actually let's you know you're entering or leaving the locale. Would it be possible to add in a distance-to-target indicator? Something similar to right-clicking then set-target.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Trivia posted:

The land-then-EVA-report surveys are pretty obnoxious, as there's little indication (other than a quick line of text) that actually let's you know you're entering or leaving the locale. Would it be possible to add in a distance-to-target indicator? Something similar to right-clicking then set-target.

I'm fairly sure if you've got the navigation waypoint on it blinks when you're in range of the target. But if you're right on it then the waypoint will probably be above you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It would help a lot if the contract actually hilighted when you were in the right place, the same way.

Like, a part testing contract will say something like:

[X] Suborbital trajectory
[ ] Altitude between 76 and 82 km

and as you meet each condition it will be checked off (and become unchecked if it's no longer met).

Something like that for the survey missions, like:
pre:
[ ] Crew report
  [X] At location 12345
  [ ] Above altitude 10km
would help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I'd considered that, but in a contract with five waypoints, that would fill up a lot of valuable real estate in that tiny contract app.