Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Scratch Monkey posted:

How did he fit? Was it just tight or did he actually have a real difficulty being in the jet?

I'm 6'5" and when I learned about how small jet cockpits typically are my dreams of flying a rad jet airplane were dashed :(

It was a tight fit, but the biggest problem he had was just crash dieting to hit the weight requirement. He was in pretty good shape, but again -- defensive linesman. He went from being 6'2" and something like 230lbs of muscle to under 180 lbs in flight school. I believe he once mentioned that a flight surgeon made him sign a waiver saying that he knew that he'd probably break both his legs in the event of an ejection, but other than that he seemed to fit alright.

Then again, an F-4/F-14 is not a Hornet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

When I was in OKC, I was amazed at how often you'd see heavy jets, E-6s, E-3s, KC-135s, C-17s, etc, just doing touch and goes and pattern work at Tinker and Will Rogers. Apparently the Air Force has never heard of simulators.

Sims are required but do not provide anywhere near the quality of training as a live flight. Sims also don't provide training for an entire AWACS crew. Basically every flight includes the full 2 hours of transition allowed by regulation, unless there's an emergency.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

In the civilian world, you need to do actual landings to complete your type rating, even if you trained on the very best simulators available.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

A look at the weekend warriors fighting Russia's deniable war in Ukraine.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Results of the Small Surface Combatant are in

Just like I thought, they're opting for an incremental upgrade that doesn't solve any of the fundamental flaws. Admittedly the addition of towed array sonar to all variants is a good idea, but it still lacks anything more than point air defense - and even at that, a SeaRAM battery only has 11 shots. Frankly, if I were Chinese or Iranian, I'd happily fire 12 missiles at less than $1 million each to sink a $500 million ship. Admittedly, SSC will have improved ECM, but still - that calculus looks good to me even if I fire 30 missiles for a single kill.

Oh, and to top it off, we'll finish out the 32 "Flight 0" LCS types without these upgrades.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In legible size:

And the other one:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Are the 25mm/30mm guns integrated into anything? They'd seem like the ideal searam complement for terminal intercept, especially since you're only packing one launcher.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

evil_bunnY posted:

Are the 25mm/30mm guns integrated into anything? They'd seem like the ideal searam complement for terminal intercept, especially since you're only packing one launcher.

Against a modern ASM threat guns like that are about as useful as the stream of urine you're emitting because there's a modern ASM flying at your ship and all you have to deal with it is SeaRAM.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Right, but a million hulls are still using CIWS, and you don't need 11 munitions to overload that.
e: and not everyone is shooting sunburns and brahmos'es at you.

Mortabis posted:

I was expecting the Navy to go with something with VLS.
But what do you put in VLS'es? standard missiles right? And then tada you're back to being an aegis cruiser.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 18, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
A Vulcan gun fires a million billion times faster than a Bushmaster.

I was expecting the Navy to go with something with VLS.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't know if people have been following the Sony Pictures hacking scandal, but it is now official: North Korea can stop the release of a Seth Rogen movie.

e: oh and America wants to normalize relations with Cuba etc etc

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know if people have been following the Sony Pictures hacking scandal, but it is now official: North Korea can stop the release of a Seth Rogen movie.

e: oh and America wants to normalize relations with Cuba etc etc

It's the beauty of the free market.

The press is free to make a ton of money scaring the poo poo out of people because some jackass halfway across the world made an idle threat.

The theaters are free to not show the movie because they're pretty sure that either their theater is going to get attacked or that people aren't going to show up to see the movie anyway.

Sony pictures is free to not release the movie because they can't get enough people to show up.

It's almost like the decade of hyping terrorist threats is coming back to bite us in the rear end or something.

:911:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

evil_bunnY posted:

Right, but a million hulls are still using CIWS, and you don't need 11 munitions to overload that.
e: and not everyone is shooting sunburns and brahmos'es at you.

CIWS is worthless against modern threats, they don't even put it on newer Burkes. If the point of the LCS is a $650,000,000 boat that's just *great* against someone who can only flip Exocets or Silkworms at you, then yeah, okay, go nuts, but that's no way to build a Navy.

evil_bunnY posted:

But what do you put in VLS'es? standard missiles right? And then tada you're back to being an aegis cruiser.

Or ESSM, 2 or 4 per cell. And you don't need to be an Aegis cruiser for those to actually be useful.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 18, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just more proof that Little Big Un is an insecure fuckstick.

I heard his dad thought Team America was funny.

Congrats on making your dad look cooler than you, jackass.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

But what do you put in VLS'es?

Quad pack ESSM, good luck with the fire control system though.

e;f;b on an open tab

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Koesj posted:

Quad pack ESSM, good luck with the fire control system though.
That's what I was wondering as well. I'm trying not to be argumentative, but what kind of use do you get out of VLS'es without a decent radar? I don't know what system they mean with "upgraded 3d".

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This thread might know the answer to this: does the USN have any airborne platforms that are used to detect surface targets?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

bewbies posted:

This thread might know the answer to this: does the USN have any airborne platforms that are used to detect surface targets?

P-8. Used to have some blimps for drug interdiction too.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But they were found to be ungainly, hated by the pilots, and interfered with flight operations. And before we took the 'invent a pen that writes in space' approach, they simply flew with one eye covered. Now, supposedly, the glass of the cockpit is treated that it becomes opaque in the event of a flash. I don't know any glass that responds more quickly than the speed of light, so it wouldn't shock me if they don't still wear boring anti-flash goggles as well:

The glass doesn't have to block the leading edge of the flash, it just has to respond fast enough to go dark early enough during the flash so that the total dose of photons that get through is tolerable. There are welding masks that work this way where the window is an LCD panel attached to a light sensor so that within a few hundred nanoseconds from starting the arc it goes dark.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phanatic posted:

Also E-2.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Just more proof that Little Big Un is an insecure fuckstick.

I heard his dad thought Team America was funny.

Congrats on making your dad look cooler than you, jackass.

Seriously? Wow, if that is true, that is pretty cool.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it's totally heresay of course. But it would be amusing.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm really disappointed. I wanted to see that movie.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

this reminds me someone has an av where a plane is doing that with the subtitle JUST TAKE OFF ALREADY. I think it's a Valkryie from Macross.

e: yes

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 19, 2014

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Mortabis posted:

I'm really disappointed. I wanted to see that movie.

You know there's going to be some other hackers out there who'll see it as a challenge to try and hack Sony themselves and release the film.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Psion posted:

this reminds me someone has an av where a plane is doing that with the subtitle JUST TAKE OFF ALREADY. I think it's a Valkryie from Macross.

e: yes

Haha I was thinking of exactly the same thing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

bewbies posted:

Phanatic posted:

Godholio posted:

Also E-2.

In addition to the P-8s you've got the remaining P-3s. Also MQ-4C/BAMS (lol). And then their surface attack strike fighters (Bugs/Super Bugs) obviously have some form of surface detection capability but I assume you were asking more about patrol/search assets and less about strike assets.

\/ Key word: "will" \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 19, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Godholio posted:

Also E-2.

The 68+ MQ-4 BAMS (Broad Area Maritime Surveillance) will have significant abilities for this as well, with a volume search radar that can flip into a synthetic aperture radar for type identification.

evil_bunnY posted:

That's what I was wondering as well. I'm trying not to be argumentative, but what kind of use do you get out of VLS'es without a decent radar? I don't know what system they mean with "upgraded 3d".

It really depends. You need a volume search radar and then a target illuminator function to use a semi-active missile like ESSM. However, ESSM Block II, slated for IOC around 2021, will have an active seeker.

e: lol beaten

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The MH-60R also has a pretty good surface surveillance radar.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not sure if there are any Harpoon grognards around, you might want to know about this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321410

This is the new Harpoon...only everything works and it has a development team behind it that actually CARES this time. It's *never* been discounted before and normally retails for $80 for the download version.

It's also 49.99 at the publisher's site, but this is slightly cheaper. Only downside is there's no real time multiplayer...yet (just a turn-based mod). But they did finally fix nukes. The sale ends 1/2/15.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There's been a number of C:MANO posts in this thread IIRC and Baloogan's stepped up to become the number one community source on the game - not to mention he recently joined in as one of its developer as well. Check out his posts at the least!

Still, it looks more like H2 than classic in a number of ways, and even at 38% off I'm a bit anxious to take the plunge.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
B1s have s ship detection radar mode. I don't think they've ever really used it though.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not sure if there are any Harpoon grognards around, you might want to know about this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321410

This is the new Harpoon...only everything works and it has a development team behind it that actually CARES this time. It's *never* been discounted before and normally retails for $80 for the download version.

It's also 49.99 at the publisher's site, but this is slightly cheaper. Only downside is there's no real time multiplayer...yet (just a turn-based mod). But they did finally fix nukes. The sale ends 1/2/15.

I tried reading Red Storm Rising in 5th grade and just could not plow through it. Many years later I kind of got into computer wargaming and fiddled around with Harpoon, and then I gave RSR another shot. "Holy crap, this is just a transcript of a wargaming session." And then it dawned on me that Larry Bond was heavily involved in both.

I was crap at Harpoon, but it seems like the kind of game that could benefit from better tutorials and an active online community for learning, which probably exist now.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What's the general consensus of Pakistan's ROSE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_ROSE) program? They bought a bunch of old airframes in the 90s and upgraded them. I feel the parts commonality is definitely a good thing, but the varied condition of used aircraft probably leads to a lot of difficulties, and upgrading everything to modern standard has got to be expensive. Are old airframes with good avionics perfectly fine compared to something like F-16s for a military like Pakistan's?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alright, here's something I've been mulling over for awhile:

At a very high level, can someone describe what percentage of parts in a modern system (avionics, radar, missile guidance - whatever) are off the shelf vs. bespoke? I understand everything has to be certified for use (hence why the shuttle never got any major computer upgrades) especially on man-rated systems, but is there actual value in using customer Lockmart CPUs vs. off the shelf Intel CPUs? Again I can see it being a supply chain/logistics issue, and for certain components I can see it being a national security issue but I have a hard time believing that we can't use a lot of off the shelf CPUs for some of the more basic functions rather than whatever custom solution Raytheon or whoever wants to install. Even without going with top end Intel chips, sticking with simpler but more numerous ARM chips seem like it would be more cost effective, but I could easily be wrong.

I guess to put it simply: How much value is there in using custom one off gear rather than buying something off the shelf when commodity hardware is available? And even if the commodity hardware doesn't necessarily meet every single requirement up front, how much of that is because the requirements are written in such a way that subcontractors can own the entire supply chain rather than including other parties (Intel, IBM, whatever)? I'm using computers as an example here but this seems like it could be applicable to more than just technology.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Hubis posted:

It was a tight fit, but the biggest problem he had was just crash dieting to hit the weight requirement. He was in pretty good shape, but again -- defensive linesman. He went from being 6'2" and something like 230lbs of muscle to under 180 lbs in flight school. I believe he once mentioned that a flight surgeon made him sign a waiver saying that he knew that he'd probably break both his legs in the event of an ejection, but other than that he seemed to fit alright.

Then again, an F-4/F-14 is not a Hornet.

My dad had a similar problem, 6' and similar weight. He talks about having to run around in the beach in a rubber suit similarly to wrestlers just to make weight for flight school. That was for F-8/A-7 though, dunno if they're bigger or not. I have seen photos of him standing next to planes with his fellow pilots and he's clearly the tallest, it's kinda funny.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Alright, here's something I've been mulling over for awhile:

At a very high level, can someone describe what percentage of parts in a modern system (avionics, radar, missile guidance - whatever) are off the shelf vs. bespoke? I understand everything has to be certified for use (hence why the shuttle never got any major computer upgrades) especially on man-rated systems, but is there actual value in using customer Lockmart CPUs vs. off the shelf Intel CPUs? Again I can see it being a supply chain/logistics issue, and for certain components I can see it being a national security issue but I have a hard time believing that we can't use a lot of off the shelf CPUs for some of the more basic functions rather than whatever custom solution Raytheon or whoever wants to install. Even without going with top end Intel chips, sticking with simpler but more numerous ARM chips seem like it would be more cost effective, but I could easily be wrong.

I guess to put it simply: How much value is there in using custom one off gear rather than buying something off the shelf when commodity hardware is available? And even if the commodity hardware doesn't necessarily meet every single requirement up front, how much of that is because the requirements are written in such a way that subcontractors can own the entire supply chain rather than including other parties (Intel, IBM, whatever)? I'm using computers as an example here but this seems like it could be applicable to more than just technology.

In the specific instance of Intel CPUs, for the most part, they are consumer products designed for consumer lifecycles; Intel doesn't give a poo poo about the parts a few years after they are released. Fabs are repurposed, new projects are active, about the only thing that is left is software support, and even that's pretty lightweight as the parts are still all x86 and a lot of the low-level updates are released to vendors when the part comes out. There's a lot of value in being able to purchase a 100% compatible IC for a period of 20 years or so.

Sometimes it makes sense for an ASIC; tightly coupled processing needs + DSP blocks + custom interface blocks to various data busses. Tack on the various MIL-STD requirements, plus resiliency against SEUs/SETs/radiation/etc and ASIC/ASSPs begin looking really appealing. Honeywell, etc have standard cell libraries for these exact purposes (look at Honeywell HX2000, 3000, 5000, etc).

Now I think it makes a ton of sense to be using commodity parts whenever possible on the ground for infrastructure support or similar needs, software permitting. Throwing slightly ruggedized Dell/HP/etc servers to run IT backbone is perfectly logical and I think it's currently done, except usually L3 or someone marks up the price by like 500%.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you google for COTS DoD you'll get some decent write-ups about procedures, risks, and opportunities. COTS stands for commercial off the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There seems to be a popular misconception that all mil equipment used mil standard ICs which is definitely NOT the case.

Often a system will be built and characterized with the mil spec testing and if it fails then go in and try to fix it up upgrading parts to higher thermal tolerances.

It's still marked up big time even with commercial grade ICs in there, of course.