Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

pthighs posted:

Are you playing the stock scenario, or the updated one here? http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3198081

Check the base info screen, for Noumea for example it should say something like Supply: 15000 / 1500. This means the base receives 1500 supply automatically each day. The 15000 is the current level of supply.

You will be able to use Political Points to change for some units, but many of them will be stuck where they are on defense. I presume they are there because they were there historically and to discourage end-around amphibious landings by a human Japanese player. Note, however, that you can transfer restricted units by air, as long as the place you transfer it to falls under the appropriate command!

I didn't find the Japanese AI to be particularly active either. Once I took Guadalcanal I just dug in a repulsed a few invasions. The AI ship and air units will hit you from time to time.

"Load safety factor" refers to how much available cargo space you have not filled up.. For example, if your task force can handle a 20000 troop load, and you load 18000 troops, the load safety factor is 10%. It's good to have some for a few reasons - It leaves room to load supply (important to bring along for amphibious landings), it spreads your troops out across multiple ships (making the loss of any one less painful), and it leaves empty space so if a ship gets sunk, the other ships have room to carry the survivors they pull from the sea.

One other thing to note is that the scenario is designed to have somewhat restricted supply on purpose to mimic history. So keep that in mind.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm playing the stock scenarios.
That's useful to know about bases that receive supply automatically. My supply situation seems to have improved: Lunga and Milne Bay are no longer short of supply (yellow !). Tulagi, Efate, and Loganville are still short, but supply ships are headed towards the latter two.

I have B-17s flying to Tulagi on supply runs. They were earlier flying to both Lunga and Tulagi. They were never intercepted, but they didn't seem effective in raising the supply, either. Is it worth continuing these flights to Tulagi on the assumption that a trickle of supply input is better than nothing?

Also, is it possible to order tankers to take on only half a load? I'd like to send some fuel to Port Moresby to refuel subs there, but I don't want to ship all 10,000 units from Brisbane, and none of my tankers appear to have a max load smaller than 10k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm playing the stock scenarios.
That's useful to know about bases that receive supply automatically. My supply situation seems to have improved: Lunga and Milne Bay are no longer short of supply (yellow !). Tulagi, Efate, and Loganville are still short, but supply ships are headed towards the latter two.

I have B-17s flying to Tulagi on supply runs. They were earlier flying to both Lunga and Tulagi. They were never intercepted, but they didn't seem effective in raising the supply, either. Is it worth continuing these flights to Tulagi on the assumption that a trickle of supply input is better than nothing?

Also, is it possible to order tankers to take on only half a load? I'd like to send some fuel to Port Moresby to refuel subs there, but I don't want to ship all 10,000 units from Brisbane, and none of my tankers appear to have a max load smaller than 10k.

If you are having success getting supplies there with ships, I probably wouldn't bother with the air supply, unless you are in a dire situation.

The only way I know of to partially fill a tanker is to set it to load (which can take several days) and cancel the load partway through. You can slow down the load speed by loading the tanker while it's not docked.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HisMajestyBOB posted:

That's useful to know about bases that receive supply automatically. [snip]

Keep in mind that bases receiving supply automatically is a conceit for this particular scenario only. In the full campaign you'll have factories churning out supply in the American mainland, Australia, India, the British mainland, etc., and you'll have to ship them over to where they're needed in the battlefront.

For the most part, you're better off trying to make ship runs into Tulagi to get it supplied. Aircraft, especially those that aren't dedicated transports, can only carry a little bit of supply and usually not enough to sustain any kind of dedicated force.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How are people playing WITP windowed on larger monitors? I would like to but the text is so small it hurts my eyes. Is that what -altfont does?

E: Well I tried it in windowed 1920 1080 but even with altfont its still almost unreadable and it cuts off a strip of the UI at the bottom, hiding the minimap south of hex 155, and also all the industry buttons. Think I'll go back to full screen and just deal with the stretching and occasional crashes on alt-tabing.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 17, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In an amazing display of competence, Matrix managed to swap their own and Steam versions of the 2.08 patch exe of Flashpoint Campaigns and upload the wrong one to each distribution system.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Not surprised; they also accidentally managed to remove CTGW from Steam instead of uploading a patch and then took a month to put it back.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
This is probably just them really passive aggressively trying to convince people that steam sucks.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

LLSix posted:

It sucks, but you probably need to pull back in the East and stabilize your lines in France. This should free up some infantry units to ship West. Start this turn. You've punched a hole in Russia's lines already. With more troops you could advance and start pocketing some big groups.

It looks like you can spare a unit or two from Serbia, but be careful with that. Italy will probably join soon and you need most of the Austrian army to deal with them. Italy starts with a stupidly large army and France likes to send a few troops that way too.

Thanks for the help. Been a while since I last updated but essentially extra troops (I love you baltic convoys) managed to calm the East down and allow me to slowly push further North West. I've managed to encircle most of the Russian army. I managed to defeat Serbia just in time to respond to Italy (Including France sending a division led by Petain) and that front is static for now. This is my situation at the start of 1916:

Everything stable right now. Feel a bit spread thin right now in Northern France and potentially Italy.

Serbia has been cleared out. I'm preparing Bulgaria for the Romanian entry into the war. Kept a unit in Serbia as the AI was sending men in there.

Russia was dicey at first but a large injection of German troops managed to stablise things and I started running encirclements. Right now I'm pushing out remaining forces in the south (got to deal with Romania so I want AH troops down there too) while keeping a couple of frontier divisions far east.

Essentially I feel that after collapsing those remaining divisions in the Ukraine, I want to just push toward Moscow . Does Russia historically take itself out of the war if you take enough or do I have to go straight into Moscow/Petrograd?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Go for Peterograd. If you get there you deny the Russian fleet a port and can exterminate them for a big NM hit. That plus Peterograd falling will usually take them out of the war.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
In WitP:AE is there an easier way to change vehicle production apart from selecting `Industry/Resource Availability' from the intelligence reports and then clicking on the location name, then selecting the resource icons on the bottom of the screen? If there's a single place to do it (like the Ship Availability screen) I seem to be missing it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Saros posted:

Go for Peterograd. If you get there you deny the Russian fleet a port and can exterminate them for a big NM hit. That plus Peterograd falling will usually take them out of the war.

Thanks. Also if a nation surrenders, is it basically a "We surrender now or we fight to the last hex" ? I got an offer from France (after Russia) and while taking France out of the war is good, they're incredibly useful as a second front to push into Italy. The mainland would be easy enough to kick in but I'm not envying the prospect of trying annex Corsica.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 18, 2014

BrillowWarrior
Jan 24, 2005
My apologies if someone has posted on this already but is there any good beginner scenarios for Combat Mission: Red Thunder? I got through the Tutorial campaign well enough, but all the smaller scenarios included seem pretty tough, and the Russian campaign starts off with too many units to manage. I guess I could try quick battles. I can't seem to find anywhere that will tell me good easier user made scenarios to download. Or I can just man up and try playing scenarios until it starts clicking.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Go to quick battles and sort by size.

e: I mean just battles. The scenarios.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 18, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BrillowWarrior posted:

My apologies if someone has posted on this already but is there any good beginner scenarios for Combat Mission: Red Thunder? I got through the Tutorial campaign well enough, but all the smaller scenarios included seem pretty tough, and the Russian campaign starts off with too many units to manage. I guess I could try quick battles. I can't seem to find anywhere that will tell me good easier user made scenarios to download. Or I can just man up and try playing scenarios until it starts clicking.

Dead of Night. That is one of the best CM scenarios ever made.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

SkySteak posted:

Thanks. Also if a nation surrenders, is it basically a "We surrender now or we fight to the last hex" ? I got an offer from France (after Russia) and while taking France out of the war is good, they're incredibly useful as a second front to push into Italy. The mainland would be easy enough to kick in but I'm not envying the prospect of trying annex Corsica.

Unless it has changed, you keep all hexes that you occupy at the time of surrender.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

Unless it has changed, you keep all hexes that you occupy at the time of surrender.

Mhm. What I meant to say is, if a country offers surrender and you refuse it, will they ever offer surrender again or do you have to hunt them down to their last city/unit|?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Yes but it might take a while sometimes. In the old version you would eventually get a request for surrender where clicking "refuse" didn't work, don't know if that was a bug or intended.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Why wouldn't you take the surrender?

EDIT: As in a theoretical question why a surrender would be worse than fighting on.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lord Windy posted:

Why wouldn't you take the surrender?

EDIT: As in a theoretical question why a surrender would be worse than fighting on.

If you need to invade Italy from the west and France offers a surrender before you take the French-italian border hexes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
In CTGW is it normal to be steamrolled for the first dozen turns or so? Or am I just really bad at this?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Very normal. Then you learn to keep pumping out infantry, and you stabalize but make a whole host of new mistakes like mistiming upgrades or running out of manpower or shells. After that second level of newbie comes mastery, but I dunno I'm not there yet myself.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I've actually been having a lot of fun with John Tiller's Mius43 (which is free!). There's something oddly stimulating about shuffling around and rotating out a million counters. Can anyone recommend any of the paid Panzer Campaigns in particular? And why do grog games cost so much?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

SubG posted:

In WitP:AE is there an easier way to change vehicle production apart from selecting `Industry/Resource Availability' from the intelligence reports and then clicking on the location name, then selecting the resource icons on the bottom of the screen? If there's a single place to do it (like the Ship Availability screen) I seem to be missing it.

You mean like the "industry management" button in the toolbar? :v:
Yellow factories can be clicked to be changed.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Morholt posted:

And why do grog games cost so much?

Because the venn diagram grogs and people that honestly think obama doesn't have an american birth certificate is just a single circle.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Caconym posted:

You mean like the "industry management" button in the toolbar? :v:
Yellow factories can be clicked to be changed.

Hmmm.

So is it only enabled if you select certain game options?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Err, I think the problem is you are playing a massively out of date version of the game?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pharnakes posted:

Err, I think the problem is you are playing a massively out of date version of the game?
What's the most recent version? I just downloaded the thing straight from Matrix last weekend, and the auto update thing just throws an error.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SubG posted:

What's the most recent version? I just downloaded the thing straight from Matrix last weekend, and the auto update thing just throws an error.

Well, it updates on a realtime basis, using the actual upgrading/improvement times of the War in the Pacific as the baseline, so long 'bout 1944 2017 you should be pretty set.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

SubG posted:

You want version 1.0.1.08r9 here:
http://matrixgames.com/products/351/downloads/

Also, a single developer has been working on continued bug-fixes and improvements, you will want to install the latest "Unofficial Public Beta" after the the official update:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185062 (1123x10 is the current latest update)

Then, you should download the updated version of any scenarios you are playing here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3198064

:siren: WitP:AE is currently on sale at matrixgames.com for $49.99 :siren:

pthighs fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 19, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Advanced Tactics Gold is currently 34% off on the Steam Sale, if it goes daily there will be much :siren: and yelling for people to get it because it's god the most potential for mass multiplayer fun.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pthighs posted:

You want version 1.0.1.08r9 here:
http://matrixgames.com/products/351/downloads/

Also, a single developer has been working on continued bug-fixes and improvements, you will want to install the latest "Unofficial Public Beta" after the the official update:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185062 (1123x10 is the current latest update)

Then, you should download the updated version of any scenarios you are playing here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3198064

:siren: WitP:AE is currently on sale at matrixgames.com for $49.99 :siren:
Perfect. Thanks.

The funny thing is that the download, which comes with version 1.0.0.1079 of the game, contains a manual which refers to the industry screen, which you apparently can't even get to in 1.0.0.1079. When I sit down to play a game like this I expect to have to fight with the interface, but that's a new one for me.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
If I wanted to get CTGW, should I get it from Steam or from Matrixgames directly?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Steam. Matrix is neither cheaper nor easier to deal with.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Go with Steam so you won't have to worry about install issues unless Gaben dies and Valve goes bankrupt or something.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Okay, thanks.
Sooo...
:downs: Whats the chance it'll be a daily?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Mhm. What I meant to say is, if a country offers surrender and you refuse it, will they ever offer surrender again or do you have to hunt them down to their last city/unit|?

Accept the surrender, consolidate your forces, then declare war again when you've reorganized. :)

I actually had to do this with Belgium 5 turns in a row because they auto-surrendered when they didn't have any cities or troops left.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 22, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Nuramor posted:

Okay, thanks.
Sooo...
:downs: Whats the chance it'll be a daily?

About the same as ISIS giving up their weapons and everyone going home to be farmers.

gazza
Oct 20, 2013

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this:

Looking for a very light igo/ugo grognard game that I can play on my Galaxy Note 4 for 15-30 minute stretches.

I've poked around the play store for a bit, but I don't see much beyond the Tiller stuff.

Any recommendations? Price doesn't matter, but I would like to avoid the in app purchase bullshit if possible.

DK Simulations makes decent light quick playing wargames that are cheap or free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=DK+Simulations

Also a handful of Slitherine games. Small General is Advanced Tactics lite so it should be pretty good:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Slitherine&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2016