Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
What are your opinions on the film "Talvisota."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So I just watched the directors cut of Zodiac 2007 and maybe I'm just a boob but I was enthralled. Having been but a wee lad I remember hearing the name in the news but not being bothered to care because holy poo poo shiny things! Are there any other types of films like this? I ended up loading up Wikipedia to read up on it and I can't believe there was never anything sold enough to try anybody with.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Zodiac owns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FalloutGod posted:

So I just watched the directors cut of Zodiac 2007 and maybe I'm just a boob but I was enthralled. Having been but a wee lad I remember hearing the name in the news but not being bothered to care because holy poo poo shiny things! Are there any other types of films like this? I ended up loading up Wikipedia to read up on it and I can't believe there was never anything sold enough to try anybody with.

If you're into the true crime aspect of it, In Cold Blood leaps to mind, or The Thin Blue Line.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

FalloutGod posted:

The Korean film Memories of Murder is really good and has some Zodiac-like aspects to it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah Memories of Murder is one of the best movies I've ever seen and the closest thing out there to Zodiac.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

FalloutGod posted:

Oliver Stone's JFK, maybe. It gets a lot wrong but left me with the same paranoid feeling that Zodiac did.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FalloutGod posted:

It's a miniseries but HBO's True Detective is also a period piece serial killer mystery spanning over a decade and focusing on how the case consumes the lives of the people working on it.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

cloudchamber posted:

Oliver Stone's JFK, maybe. It gets a lot wrong but left me with the same paranoid feeling that Zodiac did.

Every narrative films based around true stories and crimes are never 100% accurate. JFK is proof of this seeing as how it whips up entirely fictional characters to push the story along.

Roger Ebert once stated that films are not an exact medium for facts, but experience and perspective. This was clear enough to me in middle school as our classes would watch lots of movies based on true events, but would then get the Magic School Bus end lecture from the teacher explaining what was false and what was left out.

Realizing that, JFK is a fantastic movie that isn't so much about the case as it is the importance of examining such an incident and how it should really be given more attention than it had.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Skwirl posted:

If you're into the true crime aspect of it, In Cold Blood leaps to mind, or The Thin Blue Line.

If you want other documentaries, I recommend the Paradise Lost trilogy and the companion film on the same subject West of Memphis.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Shatter Map posted:

In Saving Private Ryan , each of the privates in Captain Miller's squad foreshadows how they will meet their death.

When the soldiers are pinned down by a German sniper in the French village, Private Jackson notices a bell tower in the distance and says "That's where I'd be". Private Jackson is later killed by a tank round while in a bell tower during the final battle in the third act

Private Mellish is handed a Hitler Youth knife shortly after the soldiers have secured the beachhead in the opening invasion sequence. He says "..yeah and now its a Kaballah cutter". Private Mellish is later stabbed to death by a knife

When the squad is first debarking across the French countryside to search for Ryan, Private Caparzo tells Corporal Upham to never salute Captain Miller because it makes his a target for sniper fire, "especially when I'm standing next to him" he adds... Caparzo is later killed by a sniper bullet

During the beach invasion, Wade the Medic is seen frantically trying to patch up a badly wounded soldier on the beach. He tells the soldier not to look at the wound . Wade is later shot and cannot address his injury because the round exited through his back and he can not see the exit wounds

Can anyone think of any other instances of this in the movie?

First of all, I have seen this movie at least 20 times and never caught any of those .

Second of all, I'm trying to think of fore shadowing for captain miller and I can't.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I want to see some Wim Wenders that isn't Paris, Texas. Recs?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Boatswain posted:

Buena Vista Social Club, Wings Of Desire, Kings Of The Road.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Would also recommend Alice in the Cities if you liked Paris, Texas.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Boatswain posted:

Watch Börn Náttúrunnar. It's actually directed by Friðrik Þór Friðriksson but the main character from Wings of Desire has a cameo in it so it's obviously a shared unisverse sort of deal like the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Boatswain posted:

It's a documentary (of a sort) but Pina is absolutely beautiful.

Chrtrptnt
Aug 18, 2008

Shatter Map posted:

In Saving Private Ryan , each of the privates in Captain Miller's squad foreshadows how they will meet their death.

When the soldiers are pinned down by a German sniper in the French village, Private Jackson notices a bell tower in the distance and says "That's where I'd be". Private Jackson is later killed by a tank round while in a bell tower during the final battle in the third act

Private Mellish is handed a Hitler Youth knife shortly after the soldiers have secured the beachhead in the opening invasion sequence. He says "..yeah and now its a Kaballah cutter". Private Mellish is later stabbed to death by a knife

When the squad is first debarking across the French countryside to search for Ryan, Private Caparzo tells Corporal Upham to never salute Captain Miller because it makes his a target for sniper fire, "especially when I'm standing next to him" he adds... Caparzo is later killed by a sniper bullet

During the beach invasion, Wade the Medic is seen frantically trying to patch up a badly wounded soldier on the beach. He tells the soldier not to look at the wound . Wade is later shot and cannot address his injury because the round exited through his back and he can not see the exit wounds

Can anyone think of any other instances of this in the movie?

It's a bit on the nose, but Captain Miller does say:
"Well, in that case... I'd say, "This is an excellent mission, sir, with an extremely valuable objective, sir, worthy of my best efforts, sir. Moreover... I feel heartfelt sorrow for the mother of Private James Ryan and am willing to lay down my life and the lives of my men - especially you, Reiben - to ease her suffering."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

therattle posted:

It's a documentary (of a sort) but Pina is absolutely beautiful.

Pina is great. It and Cave of Forgotten Dreams are two of the best 3D movies.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cloudchamber posted:

It's unfortunate that the movie was made right before Vasili Mitrokhin defected, because the KGB's actual involvement in the investigation would have made for a much better story than the one in the film.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm planning a Lord of the Rings extended edition trilogy marathon, the combined length is 12 hours 7 minutes. How long are they if we skip the credits?

Edit: I should Google harder. The answer is 11 hours 20 minutes.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 15, 2014

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I don't know how I missed this but apparently Chopper died last year.

He is important to this thread because he is the subject of probably the only great Australian movie between the Mad Max's and the Babadook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RysM6z256j8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How many Australian movies have you seen? Ever hear of Peter Weir? Rolf de Heer? Come on, show some pride.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Wake in Fright & Long Weekend were both great and really Aussie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Breaker Morant, Bad Boy Bubby, Dead End Drive In, Cars That Ate Paris...

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I thought this was the horror thread, hah. My point still stands

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I quite liked The Loved Ones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chamale posted:

I'm planning a Lord of the Rings extended edition trilogy marathon, the combined length is 12 hours 7 minutes. How long are they if we skip the credits?

Edit: I should Google harder. The answer is 11 hours 20 minutes.

Given that this is the questions thread, can I ask "why would you want to do that?"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Given that this is the questions thread, can I ask "why would you want to do that?"

He's gotta prepare for the 15 hour Extended Hobbit Trilogy.

Someday, someone is going to watch the extended version of all six of those movies without a break, and will either have to be physically separated from their couch, or die of starvation because they're too dumb to move.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Someday, someone is going to watch the extended version of all six of those movies without a break, and will either have to be physically separated from their couch, or die of starvation because they're too dumb to move.

No at some point some one is going to watch between two thirds and three quarters of that and then put a gun barrel in their mouth or jump off the tallest building in walking distance.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skwirl posted:

No at some point some one is going to watch between two thirds and three quarters of that and then put a gun barrel in their mouth or jump off the tallest building in walking distance.

OK, so rooftop viewing party it is.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yoshifan823 posted:

That would be me, and several of my friends. We watched the Hobbit trilogy in theaters last night, took a 10-hour break to get some sleep, then we're starting the Lord of the Rings extended trilogy in a couple hours. We aren't completely stupid though, we will take breaks for food between movies.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Skwirl posted:

NEW YORK, NY - A man willingly dropped to his death twenty floors down off his apartment roof. Bill Smith, 32, was in hour 7 of his Lord of the Rings/Hobbit marathon when he posted in an online forum 'I can't take it anymore. Goodbye, world, I'm heading for middle earth. Or at least as far into the earth as I can get.'

Local witnesses to the incident were baffled by Bill's decision to end it all.

"Ha ha, whatta queer," remarks Dion Shelbez, "They just movies. Just press stop and go outside, loser."

A rep from New Line Cinema addressed this incident.

"It is clearly labeled on an insert for all of our Tolkein-based videos to not watch consistently for more than 4 hours," he stated, "Anybody dumb enough to kill themselves over watching these in marathon deserves to die."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FrostedButts posted:

NEW YORK, NY - A man willingly dropped to his death twenty floors down off his apartment roof. Bill Smith, 32, was in hour 7 of his Lord of the Rings/Hobbit marathon when he posted in an online forum 'I can't take it anymore. Goodbye, world, I'm heading for middle earth. Or at least as far into the earth as I can get.'

Local witnesses to the incident were baffled by Bill's decision to end it all.

"Ha ha, whatta queer," remarks Dion Shelbez, "They just movies. Just press stop and go outside, loser."

A rep from New Line Cinema addressed this incident.

"It is clearly labeled on an insert for all of our Tolkein-based videos to not watch consistently for more than 4 hours," he stated, "Anybody dumb enough to kill themselves over watching these in marathon deserves to die."

That poor man! He only had 5 hours left before one of the good movies, nooooooo!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Which version of Once Upon A Time In America should I watch? 3h 49mn or 4h 11mn?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Which version of Once Upon A Time In America should I watch? 3h 49mn or 4h 11mn?

From what I've read, the longer cut really shouldn't exist and isn't what Leone wanted. All the reinstated scenes are in atrocious condition and it's not even complete. The 3'49" version was at least approved by Leone. It's also a better transfer since the extended cut degrades the color entirely to make the newly found footage fit in "better"

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Once-Upon-a-Time-in-America-Blu-ray/105558/#Screenshots

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

As a fan of cinema in general, unless you've heard specific arguments for the longer cut, default to the shorter one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If someone was appearing in The Interview as their first speaking role, would they lose their SAG card since it isn't coming out anymore?

Also, past-quoting since I never got an answer:

Everblight posted:

What happened to shorts? Seems only a few animated features do them anymore.

I can't imagine why DreamWorks wouldn't want to do, say, an 8-minute Skrat short and put it in front of their other features for a few months, with a giant "ICE AGE 12 - October 12th!" at the end of it.

Really I just want more Bugs cartoons.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 18, 2014

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Is this actually a thing? It seems like they hand wave color correction as not being able to achieve the same effect if desired.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They could definitely go in and do a bunch of loving around in post but yes, the new LED streetlights are going to totally change night-time cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bolek posted:

Is this actually a thing? It seems like they hand wave color correction as not being able to achieve the same effect if desired.

Yes, lighting is a very important part of photography, regardless of how much digital fuckery you do afterwards.