Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Thing is, Fury didn't even relent then, he did what he always does: He agreed in the face of what he percieved as a greater authority, much like he did with Pierce much earlier. Then goes behind their back and does what he wanted to anyways, via Coulson.

Fury is kind of a liar and shouldn't be trusted and it's pretty awesome.

Yeah. poo poo, even works out because Cap and co. aren't even aware Coulson's still alive. Sneaky bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BlackJosh posted:

Yeah. poo poo, even works out because Cap and co. aren't even aware Coulson's still alive. Sneaky bastard.
In the end, I really don't think Cap would mind that SHIELD is being rebuilt, IF he knew that Coulson was the one in charge.

It wasn't that SHIELD, as an idea, was bad. The problem was that the actual organization had become twisted and corrupted beyond repair. They did burn it down, completely. The new SHIELD isn't really a continuation of the old one, it's a new organization that kept the name and logo, and the original (totally Cap-approved) mission statement of "Protect."

The original SHIELD leadership is totally gone, including Nick Fury, who came to realize that he was part of the problem. If Nick didn't really get it, he'd be trying to rebuild SHIELD himself, but he handed that job over. The guy in charge now is a man whose main trait is that he was just a decent guy, and who proved very literally that he was willing to fight to his last breath to do the right thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Robot Hobo posted:

In the end, I really don't think Cap would mind that SHIELD is being rebuilt, IF he knew that Coulson was the one in charge.

He even said that the only reason he joined SHIELD was due to the fact he trusted completely the founders. I am pretty sure that he would see Coulson is following in their footsteps, not the Hydra influenced ones.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Robot Hobo posted:

a man whose main trait is that he was just a decent guy, and who proved he was willing to fight to his last breath to do the right thing.got shanked in the back by Loki because he started taunting him instead of pulling the trigger.

Also, the whole "being dead" thing. Also, having a hacker on hand to purge any records of himself and his team while the HYDRA poo poo was going down and people could discover he was still alive. If things were different, I'm sure we would have Maria Hill: Director of SHIELD, as the part of the lead-up to Civil War.

Seriously, poor Cobie Smulders. Maria Hill is, historically, one of the heavy-hitters in the Marvel universe, but she's been sidelined by an ascended extra.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

He even said that the only reason he joined SHIELD was due to the fact he trusted completely the founders. I am pretty sure that he would see Coulson is following in their footsteps, not the Hydra influenced ones.

Honestly after pretty much all his misgivings about SHIELD proved to be 100% valid I think he might have rethought this position.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So Raina is a cat now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Raina is the MCU's version of Spyke, from X-Men Evolution.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Robot Hobo posted:

It wasn't that SHIELD, as an idea, was bad.

No, his entire point is it's a bad idea. Period, the end. There's no such thing as a better, now "good" SHIELD. You can't make a fascist and oppressive secret police force into something good no matter how shiny you buff it up. It should not exist on any level. Even Coulson's SHIELD is running around making major decisions about the fate of humanity all on their own with no insight from anyone. What gave them the right? Who do they answer to? When they make mistakes they get to, what, say "Our bad" to each other and go on to claim the authority to make them in the future too? Just because they are good people doesn't mean it's not superior for the country to have Talbot throw them all in a deep dark hole until they learn to cut the poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Boogaleeboo posted:

No, his entire point is it's a bad idea. Period, the end. There's no such thing as a better, now "good" SHIELD. You can't make a fascist and oppressive secret police force into something good no matter how shiny you buff it up. It should not exist on any level. Even Coulson's SHIELD is running around making major decisions about the fate of humanity all on their own with no insight from anyone.

SHIELD did have insight from other people. They had Alexander Pierce and the rest of the council.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah and who voted them in? Who picked them, and who are they accountable to in any way?

Edit: I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know how the gently caress that council came into existence.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Hopefully Agent Carter actually details how SHIELD came to be.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Boogaleeboo posted:

No, his entire point is it's a bad idea. Period, the end. There's no such thing as a better, now "good" SHIELD. You can't make a fascist and oppressive secret police force into something good no matter how shiny you buff it up. It should not exist on any level. Even Coulson's SHIELD is running around making major decisions about the fate of humanity all on their own with no insight from anyone. What gave them the right? Who do they answer to? When they make mistakes they get to, what, say "Our bad" to each other and go on to claim the authority to make them in the future too? Just because they are good people doesn't mean it's not superior for the country to have Talbot throw them all in a deep dark hole until they learn to cut the poo poo.
I dunno Boog. I mean sure, if you narrow a focus to a secret police entity dealing with internal threats, you're right that SHIELD is a dangerous unchecked power and kinda parallels the NSA spying issue we currently face.

In a universe with Galactus and Thanos periodically deciding to knock on earth's doorbell and any number of other supernatural powers germinating in ways that could threaten the planet, perhaps an organization dedicated to the defense of earth has a bit more merit, even if its methods are secretive and it operates without a transparent mandate.

I think trying to apply our utopic bureaucratic ideals to a organization made up of literal superpeople with alien technology is a bit misguided.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Galactus doesn't exist in the MCU (he's part of the Fantastic Four franchise) and nobody on Earth knows about Thanos. So at best the justification is Loki, who gets the poo poo kicked out of him by an Earthling in The Avengers.

Nothing in the MCU has produced a death toll comparable to actual attacks on American soil in the real world. That doesn't make for a particularly compelling argument for an illegal, secretive totalitarian spy organization. The idea that Cap would be okay with SHIELD merely under new leadership is hard to reconcile with his behavior in Cap 2.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Are you forgetting the part where Cap worked for SHIELD for 2 years before HYDRA re-emerged?

Obviously there is some form of SHIELD he was ok with. It wasn't until Fury showed him the secret programs that he started having serious doubts and disagreements.

Also, Loki was defeated by the Avengers Initiative, a SHIELD program.

Cap would obviously be OK with some form of agency that does the work he was doing, just without all the secret human rights violations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Are you forgetting the part where Cap worked for SHIELD for 2 years before HYDRA re-emerged?

Obviously there is some form of SHIELD he was ok with. It wasn't until Fury showed him the secret programs that he started having serious doubts and disagreements.

Sure, he'd be okay with a form of SHIELD that was radically unlike what it turned out to be once Cap understood what SHIELD was. So radically dissimilar that reusing the name would be crazy and set a bad example.

He might have been okay with SHIELD as it was when Peggy Carter helped found it. But as his visit to see Peggy illustrated, SHIELD has almost completely forgotten what it once was. And there's no reason to think that the guy who's been all about compartmentalizing information since taking it over (one of Cap's key complaints in Winter Soldier) would change Cap's mind.

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, Loki was defeated by the Avengers Initiative, a SHIELD program.

Okay? He was defeated by half a dozen people, all but one of which are from Earth, with the one alien being one of the least consequential members of the team. You can't justify the entire apparatus of SHIELD based on it having a minor side-project that happened to put a few competent people in the same room as each other. Loki wasn't that big a threat.

ToastyPotato posted:

Cap would obviously be OK with some form of agency that does the work he was doing, just without all the secret human rights violations.

The work we saw him doing was rescuing hostages in international waters. I don't think anyone is arguing that Cap is for disbanding the US Armed Forces.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think that was a case of "The organization is what it is, maybe I can minimize the damage and keep it from becoming too bad if I'm inside."

Then it turned out that no, no he couldn't. The rot was too deep. Thus his "Burn it down." stance in Cap 2.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

spookygonk posted:

Was a tad surprised Whitehall was (apparently) killed so easily, especially for a man to have reversed the signs of aging (with this one weird tip).

One weird tip, discovered in a mom.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

So Raina is a cat now.

She could be the Raina in the comics, who is a dinosaur lady.

Either way, the TF fetish demographic is locked in.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, he'd be okay with a form of SHIELD that was radically unlike what it turned out to be once Cap understood what SHIELD was. So radically dissimilar that reusing the name would be crazy and set a bad example.

He might have been okay with SHIELD as it was when Peggy Carter helped found it. But as his visit to see Peggy illustrated, SHIELD has almost completely forgotten what it once was. And there's no reason to think that the guy who's been all about compartmentalizing information since taking it over (one of Cap's key complaints in Winter Soldier) would change Cap's mind.

Okay? He was defeated by half a dozen people, all but one of which are from Earth, with the one alien being one of the least consequential members of the team. You can't justify the entire apparatus of SHIELD based on it having a minor side-project that happened to put a few competent people in the same room as each other. Loki wasn't that big a threat.

The work we saw him doing was rescuing hostages in international waters. I don't think anyone is arguing that Cap is for disbanding the US Armed Forces.

I'm not trying to say he would be OK with Coulson's current SHIELD. I am saying he would obviously be ok with SOME KIND of SHIELD. As you mentioned, he obviously wasn't against the basic concept as designed by Peggy and co. Basically, a new arm of the government to deal with super threats, as opposed to forcing the military or the CIA to also deal with that stuff. A department specializing in super-threats isn't inherently a bad idea, its the fact that they allowed them selves to become morally bankrupt and corrupt that soured him on it.

Also, the new SHIELD is tiny enough that, if he wanted to, he could effect real change in it, without even formally joining its ranks, just because Coulson is a huge Cap fanboy.

Irn-Bru
May 24, 2001

Orange. Carbonated. Ambrosia.

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm not trying to say he would be OK with Coulson's current SHIELD. I am saying he would obviously be ok with SOME KIND of SHIELD. As you mentioned, he obviously wasn't against the basic concept as designed by Peggy and co. Basically, a new arm of the government to deal with super threats, as opposed to forcing the military or the CIA to also deal with that stuff. A department specializing in super-threats isn't inherently a bad idea, its the fact that they allowed them selves to become morally bankrupt and corrupt that soured him on it.

Also, the new SHIELD is tiny enough that, if he wanted to, he could effect real change in it, without even formally joining its ranks, just because Coulson is a huge Cap fanboy.

Could it be that the "other thing" Mack and Morse were talking about is yet another infiltration, but this time on behalf of Cap?

He hears that SHIELD are still operating through various channels, not to mention Talbot on the news channels, but no one has come to him to explain what's going on. He does hear that they appear to be doing good so sends in people he trusts to evaluate the situation and report back to him, he maybe even knows Coulson's still kicking at this point.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm not trying to say he would be OK with Coulson's current SHIELD. I am saying he would obviously be ok with SOME KIND of SHIELD. As you mentioned, he obviously wasn't against the basic concept as designed by Peggy and co. Basically, a new arm of the government to deal with super threats, as opposed to forcing the military or the CIA to also deal with that stuff.

My perspective is that's not a "kind of SHIELD." That's an entirely different sort of organization it turns out.

But I don't want this to be about semantics and I appreciate your broader point that Cap isn't opposed to the basic concept of fighting super threats. I think the important idea is that he would not be comfortable with the fighting super threats by re-creating an organization called SHIELD with one of its former senior members in charge, which is how we got into this conversation.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
#NotAllSHIELD

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Irn-Bru posted:

Could it be that the "other thing" Mack and Morse were talking about is yet another infiltration, but this time on behalf of Cap?

I think there are only a few options for who the other thing is:
  • An infiltration on behalf of Cap to see what's going on wit this new Shield.
  • An infiltration for the Avengers, different from Cap acting alone, probably coordinated by Maria Hill.
  • Fury covering his back.
  • Hamer or Sword or another similar secret organisation trying to find out what is going on.
  • CIA coordinated by Agent 13.
  • Hydra
  • The Inhumans and Bobby Morse actually has some sort of superpowers. The teaser showed there was some organisation already in existence.

I would be shocked if it wasn't an organisation that we already know exists I the mcu, and only slightly surprised if it already existed in the comics but not the mcu.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
My bet is an infiltration by Stark coordinated by Maria Hill. As opposed to the avengers as a whole.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seriously, poor Cobie Smulders. Maria Hill is, historically, one of the heavy-hitters in the Marvel universe, but she's been sidelined by an ascended extra.

That's all she was at first in the comics too. She only got the Director-ship because Stark knew it would piss off the US government. With some of the elements from that story coming up in the movies it's still entirely possible for her character to grow a bit, even though Coulson doesn't seem to have a high opinion of her in this season.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's all she was at first in the comics too. She only got the Director-ship because Stark knew it would piss off the US government. With some of the elements from that story coming up in the movies it's still entirely possible for her character to grow a bit, even though Coulson doesn't seem to have a high opinion of her in this season.

Well, she did want to hand over the remaining SHIELD assets to the US Air Force...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Totally going to this over the weekend. I want to walk around inside a full-sized Quinjet.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/events/2014/12/17/marvel-experience-brings-superheroes-life-phoenix/20419541/

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Boogaleeboo posted:

lol

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wash your dick.

e: vvvv Hey man, the A-Team kept it small. It's not like Face found the Star-Child in a dumpster and decided the fate of human existence by raising it himself. Although if he did, he probably wouldn't have hosed it up as badly as SHIELD has hosed up some things.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 19, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I bet you'd lock up the A Team too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It of opens the door for a SHIELD Civil War of sorts. :v:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Even Coulson's SHIELD is running around making major decisions about the fate of humanity all on their own with no insight from anyone. What gave them the right? Who do they answer to? When they make mistakes they get to, what, say "Our bad" to each other and go on to claim the authority to make them in the future too?

What "major decision that asffect all of humanity" has Coulson's team ever made? That's literally never happened. Unless you think they were unjustified in trying to stop Hydra from using the oblisk.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
They stopped Lorelei from taking over. Maybe Earth wanted to get taken over! Did Coulson even consider that?!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

What "major decision that asffect all of humanity" has Coulson's team ever made? That's literally never happened. Unless you think they were unjustified in trying to stop Hydra from using the oblisk.

Preventing the activation of superpower-causing latent DNA in the human genome is a major decision that affects all of humanity. This is true whether or not the decision to do so was justified, which is an entirely separate consideration.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Sir Kodiak posted:

Preventing the activation of superpower-causing latent DNA in the human genome is a major decision that affects all of humanity. This is true whether or not the decision to do so was justified, which is an entirely separate consideration.

No one in SHIELD had any idea about what the obelisk would do when brought to the temple. All they knew was that Hydra wanted to bring it there as a result of their interest in WMDs. That is a perfectly valid reason for them to try and stop it right there. The only ones saying anything about what might happen were Calvin and Raina, and both their judgment and credibility is questionable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also, Coulson offered to work with the US Government but they are pretty insistent on arresting SHIELD so his options were to be arrested and let HYDRA get the Obelisk, or deal with it themselves.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Okay? The question was what major decision they had made. Arguing that a major decision was made correctly doesn't change the magnitude of that decision.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It was more that they didn't have a choice. It's not like they made the decision to deal with HYDRA and the Obelisk on their own because they wanted to be fascist or dicks or something. They literally had no choice and they even reached out for help and failed.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Slashrat posted:

No one in SHIELD had any idea about what the obelisk would do when brought to the temple. All they knew was that Hydra wanted to bring it there as a result of their interest in WMDs.

ToastyPotato posted:

Also, Coulson offered to work with the US Government but they are pretty insistent on arresting SHIELD so his options were to be arrested and let HYDRA get the Obelisk, or deal with it themselves.
Also, agents of the old SHIELD re-grouping to fight HYDRA is very different from the poo poo old SHIELD was doing. They're literally taking responsibility for what they allowed to happen right under their noses, and trying to correct their own mistake in the only way available to them. Since SHIELD's re-birth, they've been almost entirely focused on cleaning up their own mess. It may be hard to prove it to anyone on the outside, but really they've been doing the most responsible thing that they can.

HYDRA trying to get the mysterious alien WMD? That's not just a random thing that is happening, that's a direct result of old SHIELD loving up and putting the world in danger. Coulson's team stopping HYDRA there is just a matter of stepping up and saying "We let this happen, it's our moral duty to fix it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Sir Kodiak posted:

Okay? The question was what major decision they had made. Arguing that a major decision was made correctly doesn't change the magnitude of that decision.

We're not arguing that they made the right choice in the decision you describe. We're arguing that the decision you describe didn't happen.

At no point did they make, or could have made, a decision on whether to cause or prevent manifestion of superpowers in random people across the world, BECAUSE they did not know, and had no reason to think, that it was something that might happen as a result of anything they choose to do or not do.

They did make a decision to stop Hydra from acquiring and using a supposed WMD upon the world, which is something they had good cause to expect, and that was a decision they had every right to make as likely targets of that same WMD.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 19, 2014

• Locked thread