Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Just saw this in the weird/awesome fanart thread and instantly thought that a certain superstar would like it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS_zXRgg9H4
Kill-la-kill/John Cena mash-up

By the way, Matt, do you lurk anywhere else on the forums or do you just focus only on this thread?

nexas fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blockhouse posted:

There's a thin line between "ambiguous" and "not bothering to actually explain anything" and TEW's ending does a backflip over it

I'd probably be way more okay with it if it didn't imply Ruvik actually super speed knife murdered all those cops somehow

I'm 100% sure you're still in the dream world at the end and Ruvik (now in Leslie's body or however you spell it) is giving Sebas a false "you're out" just to get him out of his hair.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm 100% sure you're still in the dream world at the end and Ruvik (now in Leslie's body or however you spell it) is giving Sebas a false "you're out" just to get him out of his hair.

nah all those SWAT guys aren't Haunted or memory ghosts or ruvik monsters, they're real.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
After that "manga you haven't mentioned" email I feel obligated to tell you(possibly again) Matt that you need to read I Am A Hero. I've read hundreds of series and there is no manga I get more excited for new chapters of more than IAAH.

quote:

I Am A Hero is a series started in 2009 by Kengo Hanazawa, who has hit it out of the park with all three of his long-running series. He is EXTREMELY GOOD at what he does and is also an amazing artist. This is one of the most gorgeous and unabashedly detailed series I've had the privilege to read. It's currently over 150 chapters long, and, for the most part, very few chapters have been wasted. It is very slow, dramatic, atmospheric, methodical, with an inevitable pace and incredibly expressive and dramatic artwork.

This is a story of Hideo Suzuki and the struggles he has to endure as he encounters many impossible obstacles in his normally stressful-but-tolerable life. It is a tale of love, loss, fear, violence, insecurity, and what it means to be one of the few owners of a shotgun in Japan. It should also be said that this is absolutely not a series for children.

Here's an Imgur album of sample pictures of the series, the last one's probably the best summary of things. I highly suggest reading at least the first volume(chapters 1-11) before clicking this link if you don't want spoilers, and don't hover over this spoiler tag especially: it's an excruciatingly brutal, blow-by-blow of the opening days of a zombie apocalypse from the point of view of a paranoid schizophrenic who thinks it's all in his head and goes all sorts of really hosed up directions. For a video game comparison, if you liked one of the best games of last year, The Last of Us, it's got a similar despairing atmosphere. It's so loving good and there's 179 chapters currently out.

In short,

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

nexas posted:

Just saw this in the weird/awesome fanart thread and instantly thought that a certain superstar would like it:

:staredog: Jesus Christ.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the real twist was that a place called Krimson City actually let a contractor build a lighthouse in the middle of the city in the real world because "we'll better attract the crazy people this way." Like, gently caress those people living within a mile of that beacon, they should just buy extra curtains.

People may be taking this game's (lack of) plot too seriously; this is a game that has bathtub mind machines and brains-in-hamster cages. Like didn't Madworld do the same thing, where the basic city was insane and nuts and nothing made sense except purely on a gameplay level, but the plot was a serious race to save someone and stop the drugs? I'm not saying Evil's on step with Madworld's gameplay at all, just that this is a game that puts its gameplay and mood over its story and logic.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Next-Jin Engine posted:

I think the real twist was that a place called Krimson City actually let a contractor build a lighthouse in the middle of the city in the real world because "we'll better attract the crazy people this way." Like, gently caress those people living within a mile of that beacon, they should just buy extra curtains.

People may be taking this game's (lack of) plot too seriously; this is a game that has bathtub mind machines and brains-in-hamster cages. Like didn't Madworld do the same thing, where the basic city was insane and nuts and nothing made sense except purely on a gameplay level, but the plot was a serious race to save someone and stop the drugs? I'm not saying Evil's on step with Madworld's gameplay at all, just that this is a game that puts its gameplay and mood over its story and logic.

I don't know, I feel like the game takes its own story pretty seriously since it doesn't opt for a straightforward narrative and instead it has the player go through the whole game to get most of the picture.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

nexas posted:

By the way, Matt, do you lurk anywhere else on the forums or do you just focus only on this thread?

So this is Liam's new theme music right?

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Compendium posted:

I don't know, I feel like the game takes its own story pretty seriously since it doesn't opt for a straightforward narrative and instead it has the player go through the whole game to get most of the picture.

But that non-straightforward narrative of shunting you down different rooms is mostly to drop you into setpieces of game, and occasionally drop story tidbits like Ruvik's past and such. The narrative to Evil Within is serious to some extent (maybe not as serious as some western dev titles), but I feel like that's offset by the intentional hokiness of the props, like Joseph's rider gloves, or the massive guard dog that ate too many dead people so it grew a bunch of extra eyeballs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Just getting around to listening to the podcast and of course Liam likes bitcoins

For the record, Bitcoins are literally the worst possible investment you could have made this year

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just getting around to listening to the podcast and of course Liam likes bitcoins

For the record, Bitcoins are literally the worst possible investment you could have made this year

jesus loving christ liam it is late 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

What?

Matt, this is a really bad thing please do not let Liam or anyone you know or love near Bitcoins. It's literally a waste of money made by people who don't understand money or economics or even living in general and was mostly kept alive for awhile because drug dealers and other criminals were using it to launder money/sell poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MGS Ground Zeroes is suddenly now on Steam for 13.39

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

MGS Ground Zeroes is suddenly now on Steam for 13.39

Dark Souls 2 also on sale, for what I think is the first time it's been on Steam below $20.

Edit: is Steam ever getting Scholar of the First Sin ever, either as a port upgrade or something?

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ground Zero at that price is pretty good, I would double dip it but i"m broke so :v:

Nuveem or whatever that site is called as Ground Zero 9 bucks so you can also go for that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What?

Matt, this is a really bad thing please do not let Liam or anyone you know or love near Bitcoins. It's literally a waste of money made by people who don't understand money or economics or even living in general and was mostly kept alive for awhile because drug dealers and other criminals were using it to launder money/sell poo poo.

I cannot fathom how anybody can even begin to think that Bitcoins is a good idea unless they're black market salesmen.

"what's this? money that has to real way of establishing and maintaining it's value (i.e. a government or treasury or market forces) and that has the same skeevy horseshit as gold miners in an MMORPG?! THIS SHITS THE FUTURE".

Stay the gently caress away from bitcoins, it's funnymoney that has only value on extremely dubious grounds. it's not that hard to just use your credit cards or Microsoft points instead.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, Bitcoins are a completely unsupported, unsustainable follye. Your money would be safer in a loving pyramid scheme.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Dark Souls 2 also on sale, for what I think is the first time it's been on Steam below $20.

You'd do better to wait for the updated version coming early next year. It should have a better lighting system. As Pat repeatedly mentions in the DS2 LP, they lighting downgrade really hurts some elements of the current DS2.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 18, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Edit: is Steam ever getting Scholar of the First Sin ever, either as a port upgrade or something?
It'll be getting released as a separate game with the engine and graphics upgrades included. The current version on Steam will be getting the "1.10" patch the last-gen versions are getting. No clue re: some kind of upgrade discount to go from current to Scholar.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You'd do better to wait for the updated version coming early next year. It should have a better lighting system. As Pat repeatedly mentions in the DS2 LP, they lighting downgrade really hurts some elements of the current DS2.

Has there actually been any indication that they restored the original lighting system?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't know, but it will have dx11 support.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrast posted:

Has there actually been any indication that they restored the original lighting system?

I hope not, it looked like poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Best thing about the newest DS2 vid is Pat screaming that they lied about DS2 being about learning about the Curse then immediately talking about lore about the curse that's explained in the game.

Like the curse is humanity becoming more like it's natural Dark state as the cycles grow to a close. This whole game was about setting up the cycle and explaining that the curse is humanity's real nature.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

For the record all Liam said about Bitcoins was that they're interesting from a tech perspective (which they are, though they remain the dumbest possible use of your money).

I think Liam and Pat have the best conversations and the worst because Liam wants to give everything a chance and Pat's more on the lines of NO CHANCES, BURN IN HELLFIRE (this is why Pat's the best).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I cannot fathom how anybody can even begin to think that Bitcoins is a good idea unless they're black market salesmen.

Or 20 years old.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Sigh, I'm a lazy loser with no future who doesn't understand economics and I don't like physically going to places to buy weed. Heyyyyy this silk road place looks pretty cool..." - everyone who invested in bitcoins

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

For the record all Liam said about Bitcoins was that they're interesting from a tech perspective (which they are, though they remain the dumbest possible use of your money).

People overreact to Liam's statements sometimes. Mostly because he's a foil to Pat and Pat's always complaining about something really poo poo, so he ends up being the guy saying "poo poo's not that bad, c'mon".

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Whenever someone mentions Bitcoin, I just remember the skit on Conan O'Brien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd19SboRhVY

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

People overreact to Liam's statements sometimes. Mostly because he's a foil to Pat and Pat's always complaining about something really poo poo, so he ends up being the guy saying "poo poo's not that bad, c'mon".

He also ends up defending the weirdest poo poo sometimes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
did someone say bitcoin? time to write several paragraphs about how gaytarded bitcoins are. im so smart

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm rewatching the Yakuza videos, and I forgot there was a whole episode that was just arcade game. Their pachinco game was the best.

"There's some Japanese guy watching this saying 'this is the greatest run I've ever seen'."

"Game over, you're the president of Japan now!"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm rewatching the Yakuza videos, and I forgot there was a whole episode that was just arcade game. Their pachinco game was the best.

"There's some Japanese guy watching this saying 'this is the greatest run I've ever seen'."

"Game over, you're the president of Japan now!"

Episode 14 of that is still probably my favorite thing they've ever done. The legacy of BLOW-UP-DOLL-SAN

"Everyone's abuzz about the NEW SENSATION!"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 19, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tae posted:

How the gently caress do you have a super long game that ends up being nothing, did Mikami play Xenosaga I and went "THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO GO FOR"

edit:

Also, Pat got himself another Montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvD1B5fyOWE

I like how towards the middle you can hear Matt starting to point it out. "That's the word of the day!"

I think this montage is funnier though.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 19, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

After that "manga you haven't mentioned" email I feel obligated to tell you(possibly again) Matt that you need to read I Am A Hero. I've read hundreds of series and there is no manga I get more excited for new chapters of more than IAAH.

Here's an Imgur album of sample pictures of the series, the last one's probably the best summary of things. I highly suggest reading at least the first volume(chapters 1-11) before clicking this link if you don't want spoilers, and don't hover over this spoiler tag especially: it's an excruciatingly brutal, blow-by-blow of the opening days of a zombie apocalypse from the point of view of a paranoid schizophrenic who thinks it's all in his head and goes all sorts of really hosed up directions. For a video game comparison, if you liked one of the best games of last year, The Last of Us, it's got a similar despairing atmosphere. It's so loving good and there's 179 chapters currently out.

In short,

Just wanted to say I started reading this and wasn't feeling it all in 1-11 because man it's painfully slow and who cares. Man though, once it picks up it's pretty good.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Andrast posted:

He also ends up defending the weirdest poo poo sometimes.

"GOD DAMNIT NINTENDO ITS MY RIGHT TO GET TO SEE 15 YEAR OLD GIRLS IN REALLY CREEPY REVEALING CLOTHES AND CHANGING THEIR OUTFITS COMPLETELY ALTERS THE GAME!"

"GOD DAMNIT NINTENDO ITS MY RIGHT TO GET TO SEE SOFT DRINK CANS WITH BUTTS! HOW DARE YOU!"

I thought he was gonna fly off the handle and start wrecking up the place when everyone else was like "Calm down, its not that big a deal. Don't be so creepy"

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 19, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair, Soda cans with butts sounds like the best thing ever.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Beef Waifu posted:

Can't you just think of the children?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Every Soda can should have a butt on it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Commissar Ken posted:

"GOD DAMNIT NINTENDO ITS MY RIGHT TO GET TO SEE 15 YEAR OLD GIRLS IN REALLY CREEPY REVEALING CLOTHES AND CHANGING THEIR OUTFITS COMPLETELY ALTERS THE GAME!"

"GOD DAMNIT NINTENDO ITS MY RIGHT TO GET TO SEE SOFT DRINK CANS WITH BUTTS! HOW DARE YOU!"

I thought he was gonna fly off the handle and start wrecking up the place when everyone else was like "Calm down, its not that big a deal. Don't be so creepy"

Yeah, his approach to "censorship", perceived or otherwise, is pretty un-nuanced, which is unfortunate. I see that a lot online.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Beef Waifu posted:

Yea not sure what the context is but I want a Butt Soda real bad now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Yeah, his approach to "censorship", perceived or otherwise, is pretty un-nuanced, which is unfortunate. I see that a lot online.

He's basically acting under the guise of internet anonymity but doesn't realize that everybody knows who he is.