Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah if you're going to be aggressive in going after leg locks in MMA then you'd better be really loving good at them because otherwise you're just putting yourself in lovely position constantly. And even if you are really good at them you're still going to get your face pounded every now and again. Like aside from the Rousimar/Belcher fight, here's another one that sticks out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jng_Og01Yc

Bear in mind that Kitaoka is probably one of the best in the world at these outside of Palhares and Imanari. Interestingly enough he's fought 12 times since this fight and hasn't gotten a single leg lock finish, I wonder if he stopped going for them as much after the beating he took here. Either that or maybe people just caught on.

e: ahaha DEEP is putting on a card with 23 fights for New Year's this year :stare: http://www.sherdog.com/events/Deep-Dream-Impact-2014-Omisoka-Special-41335
It's like a Sengoku five-year reunion.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Man Jorge has been everywhere

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Neurosis posted:

a friend of mine studying medicine linked me exactly the same x-ray about a month back, i am pretty sure that is not baroni's

that had nothing to do with your friend studying "medicine"

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

that had nothing to do with your friend studying "medicine"

his 'friend' is a big dick bandit

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
somehow the most important fight of all time happened without anyone knowing about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCJJfTMw9M

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Triticum Guzzler posted:

somehow the most important fight of all time happened without anyone knowing about it

I'm amazed that I can generate any emotions at all about such a fight but I am upset by that stoppage.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The CSAC will not punish Palhares for holding Fitch's leg too long, per BE. I haven't seen the fight outside of a gif of the finish, though I've heard this was a borderline instance.

Fatherdog, hasn't he visited your gym? If it's kosher to talk about these things, is there any truth to how he does this in practice to anyone who's not his brother?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Gregor Samsa posted:

I'm amazed that I can generate any emotions at all about such a fight but I am upset by that stoppage.

counterpoint: AUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! (points at fist, gets winded third of the way around cage)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gregor Samsa posted:

it's hard to argue with that stoppage, the referee was falling down all over the place

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bluedeanie posted:

Fatherdog, hasn't he visited your gym? If it's kosher to talk about these things, is there any truth to how he does this in practice to anyone who's not his brother?

Murilo Bustamante, his mentor and long time defender, went on record saying that he was a danger when things got too out of hand. FD can speak on it or not, but when a guy like Murilo comes out and blasts you its pretty obvious there is a big problem
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/13/4833362/maurilo-bustamante-says-rousimar-palhares-injured-training-partners

I'm not trying to be funny, Rousimar is borderline mentally-handicapped and shouldn't be fighting for everyone's sake. He's gonna ruin more people, promoters are gonna end up in lovely situations, and he's not a world beater so he's going to take more damage. You don't want a guy who is already dumber than punch drunk to get punch drunk.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Mighty Mo, reigning champion light inspector.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

counterpoint: AUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! (points at fist, gets winded third of the way around cage)

I enjoyed when he tried to climb up on top of the cage and then just kinda gave up halfway through.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Murilo Bustamante, his mentor and long time defender, went on record saying that he was a danger when things got too out of hand. FD can speak on it or not, but when a guy like Murilo comes out and blasts you its pretty obvious there is a big problem
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/13/4833362/maurilo-bustamante-says-rousimar-palhares-injured-training-partners

I'm not trying to be funny, Rousimar is borderline mentally-handicapped and shouldn't be fighting for everyone's sake. He's gonna ruin more people, promoters are gonna end up in lovely situations, and he's not a world beater so he's going to take more damage. You don't want a guy who is already dumber than punch drunk to get punch drunk.

He hasnt taken very much damage in his career, and also its a good thing that hes getting rich by hurting mike pierce and jon fitch

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I think its cool Bustamante has moved on from dealing with every elite fighter hes ever been involved with because they were retarded, like the opposite of Greg Jackson

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

I enjoyed when he tried to climb up on top of the cage and then just kinda gave up halfway through.

he's basically if you re-engineered tank abbott for 2014 with more prior steroid use and slavicness. the perfect fighter

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

david carmichael posted:

He hasnt taken very much damage in his career, and also its a good thing that hes getting rich by hurting mike pierce and jon fitch

those hugs he hasn't gotten mid-fight have an emotional tool, and it's not a good one, and it's probably why he has turned out like he has. in addition to eating cow grain during formative years and his best friend being livestock

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

Fatherdog, hasn't he visited your gym?

If he has, it wasn't while I was there and I haven't heard anything about it.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Palhares / Shields would be pretty cool

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog posted:

If he has, it wasn't while I was there and I haven't heard anything about it.

Sorry, I'm misremembering things then.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

origami posted:

Palhares / Shields would be pretty cool

Somewhere a glue factory owner perks up, but doesn't know why.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
According to THE INTERNET, today is a glorious day, as both James Thompson and Cody McKenzie were born on this fine day. :woop: :woop:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hep B Birthday Cody!

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
The Cody Mckenzie renaissance continues in M-1 tomorrow

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bluedeanie posted:

The CSAC will not punish Palhares for holding Fitch's leg too long, per BE. I haven't seen the fight outside of a gif of the finish, though I've heard this was a borderline instance.

It was pretty bad, the ref had to pry palhares off his leg.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hep B Birthday Cody!

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006
Makes me wish I had the gif of Cody running into the promo lights looking like a swashbuckler.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

BrianPhillips posted:

Makes me wish I had the gif of Cody running into the promo lights looking like a swashbuckler.

it's literally the first result when you google "Cody McKenzie gif"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

vainman posted:

The Cody Mckenzie renaissance continues in M-1 tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6oNHSms8A

:smith:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cody's plan: attack the leg. a lot.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

sergey is having none of this

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's been a bad month for hobos fighting in Russia

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TKO (nap time)

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Cody retired I guess

I'll never forget his incredibly dumb TUF run

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
his tuf run makes his existence a-ok with me. rip the lovable tramp.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Cody just showed up 7 years or so too late. He's a good dude and can hang his hat on that run of submissions.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I still think it's a crime that they never matched him up with Paul Sass when they were both in the UFC.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

good thing he has that professional fisherman experience to fall back on

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Didn't he guillotine Koscheck's favourite idiot twice in the same season? That justifies a career right there.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 19, 2014

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Shumagorath posted:

Didn't he guillotine Koschek's favourite idiot twice in the same season? That justifies a career right there.

No, Koscheck's idiot got guillotine first by Cody and then by some British dude who in turn got guillotined by Cody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canoshiz posted:

No, Koscheck's idiot got guillotine first by Cody and then by some British dude who in turn got guillotined by Cody.

Be nice. That "idiot" has a name. Not that I can remember what it is.