Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

A guy on Dakka, for whatever reason, has enlisted Blue Table Painting after the recent debacle to "show what they're really like!" and white knight the gently caress out of them:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/622435.page

Results are... ehhhhhhhh

If someone appeared in the painting thread with this and said "yeah this is my first real attempt" I'd think "yeah dude you're doing pretty good!"

But this is from a "professional" painting company and it just makes me :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

A guy on Dakka, for whatever reason, has enlisted Blue Table Painting after the recent debacle to "show what they're really like!" and white knight the gently caress out of them:

Results are... ehhhhhhhh

Thanks for tricking me into reading a Dakka thread SRM :mad:

Someone points out that paying them full price to buy a Rhino kit where they use one part and letting them keep the rest is stupid as hell and he wants to close the thread ahahaha

And they only take the $60 off his order when he asks about it oh god

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 18, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Len posted:

Please no. The GBS Warham thread was fun when it was posting ridiculous Warham lore and rules but then it slowly descended into people just posting the word "Scrunt" and "rattle" over and over and over.

Lookit this dumbass lol

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqBotowPfC4

Oh God that icon on the Rhino :cripes:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
And the cloak on Cypher hrrrrrk

Half this stuff just looks like it was washed with an airbrush and left at that.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I mean just look at this poo poo:

e: $727.28

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 18, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Holy poo poo that Rhino. I should take some pics of my own CSM Rhinos I painted 6 years ago, I did a drat sight better than that and I'm an average painter at best.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I told you guys painting white is super hard.

Also that freehanded fly is loving hilarious because it's so obvious someone really likes the idea of doing a gradient via wet blending or an airbrush in order to highlight a low-detail surface but doesn't quite understand.

Also holy moses

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 18, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SRM posted:

Ahaha, $700+ paint job everyone! A+++++ would hire to laugh at again!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As others have said and I've said in the past, those models probably look fine on the tabletop. If someone showed them to me as their own work, I'd be happy to give them props for playing it painted, and I'd dig playing against the army, probably.

Paying $700 for it though :aslol:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I just noticed the texta'd exhaust holes on the Rhino

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

I mean just look at this poo poo:

e: $727.28

I found an obvious mold line!

Because of his (pretty drat decent) conversion work the person couldn't have spent more than 500 on the models... probably less than 400.

I'm wondering about the logistics of it. That's only 32 models, and 50 hours would net you twice minimum wage. Combine that with no assembly / cleanup, and I'm guessing BTP was very happy with the request. Plus it looks like they got some cheap rhinos for the next army!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Blue Table Painting: if you are too lazy to give your mins a half-assed paint job let us do it for you!

$727 for 2 tanks, 3 bikes and 27 troops. YIKES!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
A guy from my FLGS was approached(online?) by bluetable to paint for them. He would have to move from Tampa Florida to somewhere in Utah and get paid $10.00 an hour.

I don't know what kind of quality of life they assumed he had. Who the gently caress would accept that offer? Saddly I only heard this from the guy's friend. He was not at the tournament. I will ask him more details in the future.

Many of the local players look to him for painting. I'll t-image some of his recent uploads to facebook. He does not belong in this thread, just for context (though I bet some of you will hate the blood)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I just need to finish and Oath Thread or two and in a couple o' months time, I could also be raking in mad dosh for half assing stuff! Hooray!

EDIT: I'd like to note how stupid the flying sword on Cypher is, but you can't blame BTP for that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WhiteOutMouse posted:

A guy from my FLGS was approached(online?) by bluetable to paint for them. He would have to move from Tampa Florida to somewhere in Utah and get paid $10.00 an hour.

I don't know what kind of quality of life they assumed he had. Who the gently caress would accept that offer? Saddly I only heard this from the guy's friend. He was not at the tournament. I will ask him more details in the future.

Many of the local players look to him for painting. I'll t-image some of his recent uploads to facebook. He does not belong in this thread, just for context (though I bet some of you will hate the blood)

Eh the blood fits the army theme so it's OK. Plus people greatly overestimate how hard blood is to paint and you can use it to cover gently caress ups you don't want to go back and touch up or deal with. I'm halfway through a commissioned Orc force for Mordheim (using those big Reaper Orcs which are like a speed painters wet dream) and I will freely admit to doing a "cool theme" thing to save time while painting. Basically they were called the Bloodmaw Orcs and so I was like "how would you like them to have, you know, mouths full of blood?" and he was very excited by the prospect. What that means for me is that I get to not paint annoying teeth, lips and tongues which are finnicky and take lots of time.

What also is good for doing speed/commission painting that your buddy is good at but BTP is atrocious at is blocking off and arranging colors. Those Nurgle guys would like way better if they had taken the time to make the edges of the pads and some of the kneepads black to match the robes. Part of what makes their paint jobs come off as super duper bland is that they use these huge areas of fairly flat color and don't break them up with a contrasting color. The armor isn't bad, in fact its very decent but it looks far worse because it covers so much area and doesn't have much depth. They could have broken it up if they had done better work on the boils but they dropped the ball pretty loving hard there.

They also need someone to research some really cheaty tech for them to use. Weathering powder and wash are like the easiest poo poo to use and produce stunning results. If they had done all the black in dark grey and washed it with a thick black wash like the GW Nuln or SW Armor Wash it would look so much better and take about the same amount of time as the lazy half assed drybrushing they did. If they had run over those boils (in their current state no less) with some dark red or purple pigments they would also look pretty awesome, hell even if they had hit them with some light coats of GW's red wash it would have been better. This army also could have really used some blood effects. Not only are they piss easy, they could have just tossed them in places like the depths of the intestines or weeping from random sores and it would have looked better.

When I do speed painting on commission my general rule is:

Choose one small thing to do extra work on.
Choose one thing to be lazy with.
Choose one thing to cheat on (IE use tech that is easy but looks hard)

So for a Nurgle guy for instance I would probably do the armor as my "lazy" and airbrush down the base layer, airbrush a quick highlight and then wash them down with army painter. For my extra work I would probably do either the skin and bones and actually take time to do smooth blends. Then I'd cheat with the metal and guns and do either rusted silver or a bronze with verdigris since those produce a striking effect and have a reputation as being difficult while actually rust and verdigris are easier to paint than "clean" metal since you really don't have to do as much layering a blending.

And that's at like $1-3 a mini (depends on squad size), for BTP to put that out for like ten bucks a mini is shameful.

For reference this is the quality level you would get for that much money:

They aren't great but that's what an hour and a half of work does. Those are a little bit sloppy but they are personal stuff, if it was for someone else I wouldn't have let the paint on the loincloth slip by or the foot mold line, but I can't muster that many giveafucks about wanting to have a fourth painted Mordheim warband, if I wanted my warband to look good I'd play my Amazons or Cult that I sunk like 4-6 hours per figure into and generally wish I had my time back.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Some guy just shared his WIP Malifaux crew to a Malifaux FB group. Sadly, he seems to have taken the train of thought of "Asians are commonly referred to as yellow in coloration. Therefore, Simpsons."

:cripes:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Ma...maybe the wash will make it better?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

raverrn posted:

Ma...maybe the wash will make it better?

Nothing will wash away the shame.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BTP are not watching the thread, not at all :rolleyes:
Bonus points for the verbal fellatio towards the thread owner's army, just in case the legitimacy of the 'experiment' wasn't already shady enough. I mean that is a pretty cool Cypher conversion but one of the converted Nurgle Marines has balls on his chin at 2:11.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't know why anyone even does commission painting when the rates are horrible. Western society is now so used to getting cheap labor from China for amazing goods (those PS3s and iPhones should cost more were they produced here, company takes most of the profit on top of that, etc.) that we balk at paying $10/hour for painting services. I work at Uni doing nothing at all while studying for $10/hour and would never take a painting commission even though people have asked me. I tell them I probably take 5-10 hours on my models and like hell are they gonna pay me at least $100 for a single mini.

The rates that BTP is charging for minimum quality stuff should be the baseline. That people charge even less for better quality is insane. I just don't understand how people take up commissions that take tons of hours at less than minimum wage.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know why anyone even does commission painting when the rates are horrible. Western society is now so used to getting cheap labor from China for amazing goods (those PS3s and iPhones should cost more were they produced here, company takes most of the profit on top of that, etc.) that we balk at paying $10/hour for painting services. I work at Uni doing nothing at all while studying for $10/hour and would never take a painting commission even though people have asked me. I tell them I probably take 5-10 hours on my models and like hell are they gonna pay me at least $100 for a single mini.

The rates that BTP is charging for minimum quality stuff should be the baseline. That people charge even less for better quality is insane. I just don't understand how people take up commissions that take tons of hours at less than minimum wage.

Some of them just work ridiculous hours to make ends meet.

The rest outsource it to countries with lower wages/illegals.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
painting toys possibly not a viable career path?

Things like BTP get by because there are ostensibly a lot of people working on projects like these. Assuming their painters are making 10/hr, do you really think it took someone anywhere near 72 billable working hours to poo poo out these loving disgraces?

Most people I know who paint do it in their spare time to offset cost of their own painting.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Pyrolocutus posted:

Some guy just shared his WIP Malifaux crew to a Malifaux FB group. Sadly, he seems to have taken the train of thought of "Asians are commonly referred to as yellow in coloration. Therefore, Simpsons."

I mean, these are shameful Asians but I get a very "yellow bastard" feeling from these and they could turn out pretty rad.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Just hope that Native Americans don't become a thing in Malifaux.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

Just hope that Native Americans don't become a thing in Malifaux.

They sorta do. Joss is a native american (and when Wyrd was just making generic models, he was the rather tasteless Injun' Joss).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I assumed that commission painters got by doing stuff like what EEB was saying, using airbrushes and stuff to save a lot of time and hopefully not spend as much time working on a mini as you would at home [because you probably don't have an airbrush]. Which is not lazy in my eyes, just a reasonable way to lower your labor cost at the expense of relatively-steep piece of equipment. Still doesn't seem crazy lucrative, but some folks seem to make it work.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

I assumed that commission painters got by doing stuff like what EEB was saying, using airbrushes and stuff to save a lot of time and hopefully not spend as much time working on a mini as you would at home [because you probably don't have an airbrush]. Which is not lazy in my eyes, just a reasonable way to lower your labor cost at the expense of relatively-steep piece of equipment. Still doesn't seem crazy lucrative, but some folks seem to make it work.

Honestly the only reason I do commission work is because I don't have a steady job and it's my only real means of income at the moment.

If I got ANYTHING that paid better you drat well bet I'd stop slaving hours over other people's poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Things like BTP get by because there are ostensibly a lot of people working on projects like these. Assuming their painters are making 10/hr, do you really think it took someone anywhere near 72 billable working hours to poo poo out these loving disgraces?
Yes. Even with airbrushes, the number of models and details would easily add up to 72 working hours at a reasonable pace. Unless you're expecting painters to work at blitz speed or like Kraken said outsource it further to lower wage areas. Go to any painting thread and see the progress of a single model in an afternoon. These are professional services but I am assuming reasonable pace here.

But yea I was implying that as a western society member there is absolutely no reason to paint due to the cheap expectations of pay and labor. Unless you're in dire financial straits like slim in which case you have my sympathy.

It's really weird when stuff like etsy gets brought up and how expensive things are when people expect their knitted, painted, and drawn products from the US to cost the same as stuff from China.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Honestly the only reason I do commission work is because I don't have a steady job and it's my only real means of income at the moment.

If I got ANYTHING that paid better you drat well bet I'd stop slaving hours over other people's poo poo.

Are you me? I'm in the same friggin' boat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If an employer is paying someone gross $10/hr, the cost of that employee to the employer is likely twice that. Unless they're paying them $10/hr on a 1099 basis, in which case, LOL, but also their per-employee overhead is less (but it still exists).

If you are running a business, you must add additional overhead on top of your per-employee costs. Obviously marketing is one place where BTP spends money, but you also have to pay for things like your accountant, your business taxes and licenses, your workplace (even if you are working out of your home, you have to furnish some place or another with business equipment), and so on.

And of course, paint and painting supplies aren't free. You pay for packaging and shipping, and labor time to pack and ship things. Someone has to be a customer contact, handling inquiries, booking sales, scheduling jobs, and so on.

And uh... you have to pay yourself too, or what is the point? Running a company with 10+ employees and at least scores of customers is a full-time job.

All told if I was going to try to run a miniature painting business with multiple employees, I'd probably be charging significantly more than BTP charges.

The difference though, and the actual problem with BTP, is that they're dishonest. Their results are not up to the level they promised their customers, they're also inconsistent, badly designed (bad color combinations), utilize poor technique (drybrushing where it's not appropriate, for example), and have a business practices that are at least shady, if not illegal. They also as we have seen have terrible public relations practices; leaking customer communications, attacking critics, whining and making excuses and just being super unprofessional in every way.

It's entirely possible that painting miniatures, in the US, is not viable as a business plan because customers are unwilling to pay enough for quality work to make it profitable. The correct business response to that situation is to try a different line of business; not lie and cheat and bitch and moan and rip people off to compensate for the bad market conditions.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
These are sure a lot of words I couldn't be bothered to read.

One of my buddies bought 3000 points of used Orks for a the equivalent of around 40 bucks the other week and we took some of them for a game today, and discovered these ones:

That's flock they're covered in. There were like 10 more models with the same thing going on. :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those aren't Orks, they're green yeti.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Soulfucker posted:

One of my buddies bought 3000 points of used Orks for a the equivalent of around 40 bucks the other week and we took some of them for a game today, and discovered these ones:

That's flock they're covered in. There were like 10 more models with the same thing going on. :psyduck:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Soulfucker posted:

Kommandos in Ghillie suits!

(Remember Super Clean cures all)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

If an employer is paying someone gross $10/hr, the cost of that employee to the employer is likely twice that. Unless they're paying them $10/hr on a 1099 basis, in which case, LOL, but also their per-employee overhead is less (but it still exists).

If you are running a business, you must add additional overhead on top of your per-employee costs. Obviously marketing is one place where BTP spends money, but you also have to pay for things like your accountant, your business taxes and licenses, your workplace (even if you are working out of your home, you have to furnish some place or another with business equipment), and so on.

And of course, paint and painting supplies aren't free. You pay for packaging and shipping, and labor time to pack and ship things. Someone has to be a customer contact, handling inquiries, booking sales, scheduling jobs, and so on.

And uh... you have to pay yourself too, or what is the point? Running a company with 10+ employees and at least scores of customers is a full-time job.

All told if I was going to try to run a miniature painting business with multiple employees, I'd probably be charging significantly more than BTP charges.

The difference though, and the actual problem with BTP, is that they're dishonest. Their results are not up to the level they promised their customers, they're also inconsistent, badly designed (bad color combinations), utilize poor technique (drybrushing where it's not appropriate, for example), and have a business practices that are at least shady, if not illegal. They also as we have seen have terrible public relations practices; leaking customer communications, attacking critics, whining and making excuses and just being super unprofessional in every way.

It's entirely possible that painting miniatures, in the US, is not viable as a business plan because customers are unwilling to pay enough for quality work to make it profitable. The correct business response to that situation is to try a different line of business; not lie and cheat and bitch and moan and rip people off to compensate for the bad market conditions.

:agreed: I didn't know about any shady business practices which is probably what the Dakka drama is about but I just don't understand how people can legitimately set up a business to paint in the US without being really hard up for money. In which case it's a catch-22 situation since those who have enough money to set up a business and not just a side project commission activity are crazy enough to do it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I have to imagine that most miniture painting businesses are side things that people do to subsidize their hobby.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have to imagine that most miniture painting businesses are side things that people do to subsidize their hobby.

Most actual cost effective painting services are run out of game stores. So those guys are making OK money because they pay a lot less for the materials than other people. Plus in the case of a lot of those stores they are doing the painting and modelling during down time while working the floor and basically making bonus cash on top of their normal salary. Everyone else is making minimum wage or less. But, at least in my case, I'd much rather make ten bucks an hour in my underwear doing something I enjoy than working at a Wendy's.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I think we found a new breed of Scrunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

HiveCommander posted:

I think we found a new breed of Scrunts