Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
I lost out on a hard mode blue baby dark room run because I had to tend to an emergency and the game didn't save upon exit. Ed's never going to get that continue bug fixed. Last I saw, his best guess was that it might have something to do with steam cloud saves. Since it also happens on PS4 and the cloud isn't automatic on PS4, I'm betting that handily eliminates steam anything and seriously narrows cloud stuff as a potential cause.

Migishu posted:

So I just updated my Vita to 1.03, and of course, Godhead doesn't unlock.
On PS4, all my missing yet earned unlocks eventually popped after I just played some. Godhead appeared in the basement after I bombed a blue rock, of all things; but the other stuff I was missing appeared after mom/satan kills with whoever. Bugged trophys, however; remain locked. That sucks.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People always act like the secret of the lost is to get defensive items but really the secret is to get good enough offense that you don't meaningfuly fight anything.
Yeah. I plowed through my dark room hard run as the lost without holy mantle. I had a dead cat back when the exploit existed; but I didn't know about the exploit and I didn't get hit that run. All courtesy of an early brimstone and Tammy's head combo. I melted every single room instantly upon entry. The only thing I had to be careful on at all was the boss rush, since I could only nuke once. Even the lamb died really fast.

dyzzy posted:

Ahahaha well this was a fun way to finally beat the chest as the lost...

Stuff like this is why I love the game so much. The occasional stupidly overpowered build or combo is an enjoyable break from the usual challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

EvilSlug posted:

Stuff like this is why I love the game so much. The occasional stupidly overpowered build or combo is an enjoyable break from the usual challenge.

Yeah. I had a run recently where I had the Blank Card, Starter Deck, and a Jera/Perthro Rune.

Also, red chests in the Cathedral apparently always have a pedestal item in them? This was the result of cloning lots of them with the Jera, and they all had items:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 18, 2014

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
What the hell, died to satans second form as azasel on a normal non seed run and didn't get the lost even though I did everything before correctly. >:(

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Logan 5 posted:

Yeah. I had a run recently where I had the Blank Card, Starter Deck, and a Jera/Perthro Rune.

Also, red chests in the Cathedral apparently always have a pedestal item in them? This was the result of cloning lots of them with the Jera, and they all had items:

You just were cloning a red chest that happened to have the guppy's item in there. Since they can't repeat the same item youre getting different things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dying to the laser doesn't count, if that's what you did.

Seriously gently caress Super Meat Boy and Bandage Girl, I literally can't find what I need to get them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

What the hell, died to satans second form as azasel on a normal non seed run and didn't get the lost even though I did everything before correctly. >:(

You died to Satan's bullet fire and not the stomp, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can die to the stomp, but that's in his third form anyway. You can't die to Krampus, the bomb leeches, or Brimstone in phase two.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You just were cloning a red chest that happened to have the guppy's item in there. Since they can't repeat the same item youre getting different things.

Ahhhh, that makes more sense. There were two red chests so they both must have had items in them, because none of the stone chests had any items.

I broke the game later in the Chest. Breakfast, breakfast everywhere!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Manatee Cannon posted:

Seriously gently caress Super Meat Boy and Bandage Girl, I literally can't find what I need to get them.

Just look up how to do an ordinary breaking run with the D6, and do that. Once you get Sharp Plug combined with items like Scapular, Gimpy, Fanny Pack, etc. you start to be able to do quite a lot of re-rolls. Then if you can make it to the chest with a semi-decent re-roll situation then you can likely snowball from there. It shouldn't be long until you find Pyro or the Wafer just due to the sheer number of opportunities. Then you re-roll until you find the Monster Manual and go from there.

Trying to rush to the Monster Manual first isn't really the way to go since you're probably not going to have the set of items together that you need in order to really break things. The idea is to maximize re-rolls overall, and then once you get to a decent number you can probably get yourself to infinite re-rolls. From infinite re-rolls it's obviously real easy then to get to infinite Monster Manualing since the same things that set you up for the re-rolls are the same things that give you infinite Monster Manual.

Also make sure to not re-roll the D20 once you find it in the chest because you'll be able to spawn new chests from poo poo you drop on the ground due to Fanny Pack or random loot from rooms. Also, don't pick up anything you want to eventually get in the Chest because picking it up removes it from the pool. If you re-roll without touching it then it can spawn again later when you need it.

It's not really too hard to put together breaking runs with Isaac on Normal with some diligent play. It seems like I can do it about 20% of the time if I'm focused on it. Sharp Plug from the shop before you run out of shops is really the hardest part. So I often will prioritize getting money and re-rolling shops over re-rolling the item room if I'm trying to do a breaking run.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've literally gone through the entire item pool, to the point where nothing but Breakfast was spawning, several times with no Monster Manual. I know how to do it, it just isn't happening.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've literally gone through the entire item pool, to the point where nothing but Breakfast was spawning, several times with no Monster Manual. I know how to do it, it just isn't happening.

Did you accidentally pick it up earlier in the run then put it down?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

are you checking the shop and the secret rooms

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can die to the stomp, but that's in his third form anyway. You can't die to Krampus, the bomb leeches, or Brimstone in phase two.

I don't know why people are saying this because I died to the laser in both my Lost unlocks and it worked fine. Maybe I just got lucky?

EvilSlug posted:

On PS4, all my missing yet earned unlocks eventually popped after I just played some. Godhead appeared in the basement after I bombed a blue rock, of all things; but the other stuff I was missing appeared after mom/satan kills with whoever. Bugged trophys, however; remain locked. That sucks.

Yeah, godhead finally unlocked for me but I'll have to do some lost runs on my Vita to unlock the achievements. Luckily, a variation of the AltF4 bug works on the Vita

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Davincie posted:

are you checking the shop and the secret rooms

Yes, though it's not like I can every time on every floor.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I don't know why I never thought to use the Anarchist Cookbook when I have the sad bombs that spew tears. After a few damage upgrades it was good enough that I kept it over Krampus' Head, and can clear bosses in one shot.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Is it me, or are some enemies much less annoying to deal with in Rebirth than in flash Isaac? I hated the Knights in flash Isaac, but I can deal with them just fine in Rebirth. They seem to be a lot less erratic.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is it me, or are some enemies much less annoying to deal with in Rebirth than in flash Isaac? I hated the Knights in flash Isaac, but I can deal with them just fine in Rebirth. They seem to be a lot less erratic.

I think it's that the distance from which they'll notice you following and turn around to chase you is reduced, or the cooldown time between abrupt turns is increased, or something. It's definitely easier to follow them from behind without having to immediately go around them again. The skeletons that throw bones demonstrate the team still hasn't entirely learned the lesson they put into practice with the knights, though.

Keepers seem to have less health too, which is good. They're still threatening (especially with their increased jumping ability), but less tedious and punishing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I Am Just a Box posted:

cooldown time between abrupt turns is increased, or something. It's definitely easier to follow them from behind without having to immediately go around them again.

I think I don't fully understand what you mean, since when a knight starts chasing you it has to follow that linear path until it reaches some sort of obstruction (wall, rock, other knight, etc.). That was the same in the original game and you were meant to defeat them by getting them to chase you, getting behind them and wailing on them until something obstructs them, then making it happen again.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I have seen maybe 2 XL floors in the 40-odd hours I've sunk into this game so far. I see about as many of the other floor curses as I did in the original game. Is Labyrinth just stupid-rare or something?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have this with Peep. I used to dread him but he's pretty agreeable in Rebirth, bit of a pushover really. I do wonder if he's been nerfed somehow.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

IMJack posted:

I have seen maybe 2 XL floors in the 40-odd hours I've sunk into this game so far. I see about as many of the other floor curses as I did in the original game. Is Labyrinth just stupid-rare or something?

Its because XL maps are actually a good thing, especially on basement.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Its because XL maps are actually a good thing, especially on basement.

Not really though. You lose 1 shop, secret rooms and on later floors potentially 1 deal with the devil/angel.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

13/f/cali posted:

I think I don't fully understand what you mean, since when a knight starts chasing you it has to follow that linear path until it reaches some sort of obstruction (wall, rock, other knight, etc.). That was the same in the original game and you were meant to defeat them by getting them to chase you, getting behind them and wailing on them until something obstructs them, then making it happen again.

I don't think that's 100% true. I feel like I've definitely had Knights chase me, and then turn once I get behind them. Maybe I'm wrong.

They seem less likely to turn around the instant you get behind them now. Not that that means anything really.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

omeg posted:

Not really though. You lose 1 shop, secret rooms and on later floors potentially 1 deal with the devil/angel.

In the Basement/Cellar you don't really care about losing a shop/secret room you probably wouldn't have been able to enter anyway. Also after playing with the BASE MENT seed a lot with the Goat Head and/or Book of Belial, I'm pretty sure devil/angel rooms cannot spawn on the first floor either. And you save the key for the second floor treasure room, which is especially nice on hard mode where you may not get a key at all for several floors.

It's also nice in the Womb if you can find the bosses fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

psivamp posted:

I don't think that's 100% true. I feel like I've definitely had Knights chase me, and then turn once I get behind them. Maybe I'm wrong.

They seem less likely to turn around the instant you get behind them now. Not that that means anything really.

They don't, as far as I know. Sometimes they just haven't started "chasing" you yet. You can tell they're officially chasing you if they start to move slightly faster. Once they do that, they won't turn until they hit an obstacle.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Harrow posted:

They don't, as far as I know. Sometimes they just haven't started "chasing" you yet. You can tell they're officially chasing you if they start to move slightly faster. Once they do that, they won't turn until they hit an obstacle.

Mask of Infamy works under similar (but more complex?) rules, though the speed change for the mask is subtle. If you are careful you can actually get the Mask stuck going back and forth horizontally and negate its threat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also after playing with the BASE MENT seed a lot with the Goat Head and/or Book of Belial, I'm pretty sure devil/angel rooms cannot spawn on the first floor either

They can't after the boss, you can get there with a red chest or joker card.

Harrow posted:

I found the Knights in the first one liked to turn around if they were adjacent to something they couldn't get through, not just heading towards it. Maybe it was confirmation bias, but I remember Knights oscillating pretty quickly to charge me on each side.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're right, it wasn't a distinction I was thinking about. Those can get you into a devil/angel room even after killing Mom's Heart/It Lives, they also don't care whether a room spawned after you killed a boss or not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You can get into a devil/angel room after killing the Heart anyway, it's how you get to Satan/Isaac before the portals spawn normally.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It was shorthand because saying you could get in in the Cathedral, Sheol, Dark Room, and Chest seemed like more effort than it was worth. :effort:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
You can get a devil room after killing It Lives in the Family Man challenge.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Does beating Satan count as completing the challenge?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

a bloody icon posted:

Northernlion is so absent-minded re: the mechanics of the game that it's easy to forget how good his raw play can be. :stare:

I have to admit, when I first saw The Lost, I said to myself that it was sad Northernlion would never 100% the game. I didn't think he was the type of player who would enjoy that kind of challenge, especially because "stupid damage" is one of his hallmarks. Then he goes ahead and completes almost half of it on his first try, so I don't know what to believe any more, except that I devoted too many words and thoughts to a YouTube pseudo-celebrity.

P.S. I hate that The Lost can be chosen in the random character function when you start a new game. I wanted to see how high my win streak could go while only playing randoms, but I know they'll all end on The Lost.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does beating Satan count as completing the challenge?

Yes.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
So uhh am I the only one who has 80+ hours and still hasn't become Guppy once yet?

Ever since I noticed it I have been specifically trying every run to grab guppy parts over other things if at all possible without compromising the run but I've still never found more than 2.

I even got Lord of the Flies first (and both a full meat boy and a full bandage girl found in normal runs without monster manual!)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Scorps posted:

So uhh am I the only one who has 80+ hours and still hasn't become Guppy once yet?

Ever since I noticed it I have been specifically trying every run to grab guppy parts over other things if at all possible without compromising the run but I've still never found more than 2.

I even got Lord of the Flies before just because the Chest popped me all the items I needed for it once!

Have you been careful to avoid damage? Devil rooms won't show up if you take damage. Other than that, go into every curse room you find. They may have a guppy item, or a red chest which contains a guppy item, or a red chest which teleports you to a devil room with a guppy item for sale. Finally remember that having one passive guppy item and switching between two active guppy items will suffice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Picking up Guppy space bar items and then dropping them still counts towards your progress to Guppy mode. If you start as Isaac or find the D6 in the wild you can reroll Guppy's Head/Paw and hope the other spawns.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Yup I know both of those things, I think a part of it is that I often get 1 or 2 pieces then take damage and gently caress up my devil room chances. I always grab the head/paw if it is there just in case more items come, it just seems like the devil room NEVER spawns them. I need to go in more curse rooms also I think, does taking damage from going in/out affect devil room chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Picking up Guppy space bar items and then dropping them still counts towards your progress to Guppy mode. If you start as Isaac or find the D6 in the wild you can reroll Guppy's Head/Paw and hope the other spawns.

Oh yeah, that's another thing. Rerolling an item inside of a devil room will make a devil room item, even if the original item wasn't. When you pop beggar, slot machine, and blood bank tarot cards try to do so in devil rooms so that phi the give you an item you can reroll it into into a guppy item. I'm not sure if that works for curse rooms.

Scorps posted:

Yup I know both of those things, I think a part of it is that I often get 1 or 2 pieces then take damage and gently caress up my devil room chances. I always grab the head/paw if it is there just in case more items come, it just seems like the devil room NEVER spawns them. I need to go in more curse rooms also I think, does taking damage from going in/out affect devil room chance?

I think that voluntary damage sources do not affect it. Curse rooms, sacrifice rooms, blood banks, devil beggars, etc.