Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the environmentally conscious person who protests leather and nuclear energy

oh man i hate that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

who would want to live in such a world, anyway?

if you could even call that living

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm the environmentally conscious person who protests leather and nuclear energy

creating leather apparently involves a whole mess of insanely unpleasant chemicals, and it poisons the land

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BONGHITZ posted:

my position is that nuclear energy is bad

Your position is a piece of poo poo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ahh

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BONGHITZ posted:

my position is that nuclear energy is bad

oh wel lshit guess i'm fuct then

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

creating leather apparently involves a whole mess of insanely unpleasant chemicals, and it poisons the land

excuse me but upcycling an animal's skin results in a product with a decades-long lifetime which is greener than all the tom's of finland shoes put together

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BONGHITZ posted:

the nuclear testing that was done in the midwest did not produce cancers for about 15 years, so idk if you'll ever be able to ~say for sure~

http://www.ratical.org/radiation/inetSeries/TTW_C1-BW.html (pretty good read if you are a nerd)

is Nevada the Midwest now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tom's of finland shoes
:raise:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

computer parts posted:

is Nevada the Midwest now

yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

oh man i hate that guy

the founder of greenpeace left the organization when the newer members voted to ban chlorine. not in some specific use, but in general, on the surface of the earth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

doesn't need to. you can tan leather with badass

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

the founder of greenpeace left the organization when the newer members voted to ban chlorine. not in some specific use, but in general, on the surface of the earth

wanna follow him to what ever saner organization he's running now

what a bunch of stinkos

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

according to wikipedia the remaining greenpeace deny that so :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

that reminds me; i still have to cancel my membership because of that peru bullshit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

excuse me but upcycling an animal's skin results in a product with a decades-long lifetime which is greener than all the tom's of finland shoes put together

allow me to enlighten you about this amazing wonder material called hemp. you see if big cotton didn't buy off every... why yes that is patchouli that I rubbed onto my hair instead of a shower three weeks ago how did you know?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chlorinating water is one of the single greatest life-saving ideas of all time

e: watch How We Got to Now, it's like an updated, slightly worse take on connections [which is still the best]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

chlorinating water is one of the single greatest life-saving ideas of all time

only narrowly beaten out by the idea of pipes taking your poop away underground

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Main Paineframe posted:

no you see, fossil fuel facilities also suffered massive catastrophic damage and spread pollution all over the place as a result, while only one nuclear plant had any problems at all, but atoms are scary so let's ban them and build more fossil fuel poo poo

yeah when we've dealt with coal plants i'll start to consider alternatives to nuclear but until then no.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

only narrowly beaten out by the idea of pipes taking your poop away underground

yes, what you do is the most important thing in the word *pats on head*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

yes, what you do is the most important thing in the word *pats on head*

i do both of those things

did you know that water treatment in new orleans adds ammonia at one point

gotta nuke the gently caress outta that river water

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i do both of those things

did you know that water treatment in new orleans adds ammonia at one point

gotta nuke the gently caress outta that river water
“Of course, Ankh-Morpork's citizens had always claimed that the river water was incredibly pure. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys, they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed.”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Plummeting through an Instagram hashtag wormhole, we stumbled across this four-day-old photo of, the photographer says, the home of a Palo Alto resident who "trucked in snow for her holiday party last night."
"Oh, Marissa," one commenter to the photo responds. Perhaps an implication that the snow-baller is Yahoo CEO/Scathing Profile Subject Marissa Mayer, who owns multiple properties in Palo Alto?
It almost doesn't matter. (Almost.) The fact is, on the same week that Palo Alto got inches upon inches of rain, someone still decked their halls with a shitton of snow, then, as if that weren't enough, arranged a bunch of white-upholstered couches outside, elements be damned. That's some serious chutzpah.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

that's hosed up

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
imagine how exhausting a life like that would be

like you're always doing crazy rich person poo poo while also micromanaging everything at your job

jeez

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

i propose a new strategy for dealing with the rich: instead of burning them we should just cart them off to the antarctic and let them freeze to death

maybe give them piles of their own money to burn for warmth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

like you're always doing crazy rich person poo poo while also micromanaging everything at your job

jeez

that autism isn't gonna hug itself

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tom's of finland shoes

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

keyboard vomit posted:

i propose a new strategy for dealing with the rich: instead of burning them we should just cart them off to the antarctic and let them freeze to death

maybe give them piles of their own money to burn for warmth

wow i really like this idea. esp the burning their own money part.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

BONGHITZ posted:

idk the world is pretty big, as long as its not near me whatever

or where the wind can blow it onto me
wow lol

:canada: is p well set for nuclear b/c we have places to mine uranium (saskatchewan has a lot of old petrified wood b/c glacial melt), a lot of stable rock to put the reactors on and store waste (the shield), and CANDU reactors which iirc can be used to run off waste

but harper's suckin' off the rigs, not to mention the ontario liberals thing w/ the oil companies so lolololol

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Necc0 posted:

yeah when we've dealt with coal plants i'll start to consider alternatives to nuclear but until then no.

my preferred alternative to nuclear is "nuclear without the regulatory capture"

it's not like people had no idea that fukushima i was a piece of poo poo it's just that tepco ignored the warnings because it was cheaper that way

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Avenging Dentist posted:

ignored the warnings because it was cheaper that way

this seems to happen a lot. hmmmm.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Cold on a Cob posted:

jeez

lol if you think marissa did any of the work of setting up that party, aside from pointing at things and saying "yes" or "no", which is what she does all day at her job too. so i guess if you find that exhausting then sure who needs a billion dollars anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

lol if you think marissa did any of the work of setting up that party, aside from pointing at things and saying "yes" or "no", which is what she does all day at her job too. so i guess if you find that exhausting then sure who needs a billion dollars anyway

I don't think that was her party anyway, her main place is a penthouse in downtown sf

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Elder Postsman posted:

this seems to happen a lot. hmmmm.

environmental costs don't fit on balance sheets

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

JewKiller 3000 posted:

from what i have read about her i don't think she's the type to just sit back and delegate. apparently she issues the parking passes at yahoo or smth lol

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cold on a Cob posted:

from what i have read about her

creepy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

i'm talking about the op of the marissa thread i'm not cremnobbing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
just windmills everywhere, I like windmills :)

• Locked thread