Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pointers posted:

wow lol

:canada: is p well set for nuclear b/c we have places to mine uranium (saskatchewan has a lot of old petrified wood b/c glacial melt), a lot of stable rock to put the reactors on and store waste (the shield), and CANDU reactors which iirc can be used to run off waste

CANDU reactors are fantastic. they can run off completely unenriched natural uranium, nuclear waste that comes out of other reactors, old nuclear bombs, and even thorium in the mythical thorium economy. they are also very difficult to melt down and don't produce anything that could be used in a nuclear bomb except tritium, which is necessary for thermonuclear devices, but if you have all the stuff required to make the rest of a hydrogen bomb you can make tritium with your eyes closed

i mean sure each reactor needs like a billion dollars' worth of heavy water but lol if your country doesn't have tens of thousands of deep lakes with lots of the stuff hanging around at the bottom

the whole world could run on CANDUs forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

qntm posted:

just windmills everywhere, I like windmills :)

*skips maintenance because lol money, turbine spins itself out of control during a heavy wind and the brakes fail, turbine explodes into pieces from sheer force*

*designs lovely maintenance shafts, workers trying to maintain it burn to death after calling their loved ones on a cell because there's no escape*

still a better option than anything else we got besides solar maybe

hydroelectric kicks a lotta butt too but loving with damns basically reams any wildlife or cities or water rights situations going on so lol good luck with that

I don't actually know anything though so whatever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seriously what the gently caress harper. canada used to have some of the world's best nuclear scientists, aerospace engineers, roboticists, and other high tech industry. all those scottish immigrants don't ya know (scots have always been the world's best engineers). thanks a lot for defunding basic research in favor of ripping poo poo out of the ground you huge rear end in a top hat

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

yes, what you do is the most important thing in the word *pats on head*

it kind of is though, sanitation is pretty much the first loving thing any civilization needs to get in order

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

computer parts posted:

is Nevada the Midwest now

anything not on the coast or The South is the mdiwest.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

it kind of is though, sanitation is pretty much the first loving thing any civilization needs to get in order

modern medicine wishes it had even half as large of an impact on human life expectancy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think you can really put one over the other...the greatest advance in human healthcare in history was probably germ theory because all of those things mentioned naturally grew out of it. keeping sewage contained, disinfecting drinking water, handwashing in hospitals and restaurants, sterilization of surgical tools, etc. you had cases like john snow deducing "there's something wrong with the water" but it took the discovery of microorganisms to actually understand the link between the people dying, the pump water, why boiled water was safe, etc

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
too bad germ theory is just a theory and not, you know, actually a real thing

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just poo poo in the woods and dont live in the woods? i dont see the big problem here

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

http://www.kptv.com/story/27665681/reports-uber-says-its-leaving-portland-for-three-months

quote:

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

Popular app-based taxi company Uber announced Thursday it will leave Portland for three months.

In exchange, Portland Mayor Charlie Hales announced an expedited effort to re-examine city taxi laws.

Uber will stop pick-ups in the Portland city limits on Sunday evening. However, it says it will be back in town as soon as April 9.

If the city doesn't have new regulations in place by that point, officials will allow ridesharing companies like Uber to operate while they pursue a long-term solution, according to a statement from Uber.

"Uber is dedicated to curating and continuing a valuable and constructive relationship with Portland's lawmakers, working to create a regulatory framework that works for everyone, not just us. Not just the taxi cabs. Not just the city officials. Everyone," the Uber statement said.

City officials said a task force will begin meeting next month to study and make recommendations about Portland's taxi system and how the city should handle companies like Uber. Some of the topics that will be addressed are a regulated pricing system, a limit on permits granted and whether there should be mandated criteria like insurances, inspections and background checks.

Findings will be addressed at an April 9 city council hearing, and the Portland Bureau of Transportation will then be immediately directed to issue permits based on the council's approval of mandated safety recommendations.

Uber will continue to operate in metro area cities like Beaverton, Gresham, Hillsboro and Tigard.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think you can really put one over the other...the greatest advance in human healthcare in history was probably germ theory because all of those things mentioned naturally grew out of it. keeping sewage contained, disinfecting drinking water, handwashing in hospitals and restaurants, sterilization of surgical tools, etc. you had cases like john snow deducing "there's something wrong with the water" but it took the discovery of microorganisms to actually understand the link between the people dying, the pump water, why boiled water was safe, etc

nah people who study public health point directly to having pipes in the ground as the single largest determinant for life expectancy

separating out your sewer runoff from your drinking water is the absolute primary thing that aid orgs do when they come in to either impoverished areas or the sites of natural disasters (or both like haiti)

if your sewage isn't contained people poo poo themselves to death really quickly, usually starting with all of the children

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

do some googling about either hookworm in the south or the recently discovered link between sanitation and malnourishment in india even among the well-fed

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it seems stymie has passed the torch to sagebrush in recent weeks

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this is why i get mad at companies like google who are all "let's fly blimps with the internet to help developing coutnries!!!" when what they need is goddamn toilets and sewage infrastructure

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

do some googling about either hookworm in the south or the recently discovered link between sanitation and malnourishment in india even among the well-fed

arkansas had such a serious historical hookworm problem that they were able to study the specific kind of retardation that an infestation does to you if present from walking age

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

more people in the world have cell phones than do toilets.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

im not really sure what people are taking offense with in my post?? i didn't say that sewage wasn't a big deal, just that understanding "germs are what cause disease" is probably even more important because it leads to "ok keep germy sewage away from people" and also dozens of other conclusions that improve public health

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

this is why i get mad at companies like google who are all "let's fly blimps with the internet to help developing coutnries!!!" when what they need is goddamn toilets and sewage infrastructure

i really get pissy whenever someone mentions the One Laptop Per Child project for this reason

because that' what people in the third world need. not clean water, or large-scale agricultural improvement projects, or physical school buildings with enoug textbooks and pencils for all the students, or meaningful governmental reform. laptops! cheap lovely laptops for everyone!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what kind of cell phone do you use?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hookworm is literally worse than hitler

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in non-tech [but still] bubble news

quote:

The nation’s biggest life insurer by assets is weighing a legal showdown with the U.S. after a panel of regulators concluded it poses significant risks to the financial system and warrants tougher oversight.

MetLife Inc. said in a statement it is “disappointed” by the ruling from the Financial Stability Oversight Council and believes it has presented “substantial and compelling evidence” that any future financial problem wouldn’t jolt the U.S. economy during a time of stress.

MetLife is the fourth nonbank financial firm to be designated as “systemically important” by U.S. regulators, joining rival insurers American International Group Inc., Prudential Financial Inc. and General Electric Co. ’s finance arm. The label means the company will be subject to an additional level of federal regulation that could hinder its ability to raise dividends or buy back shares.

MetLife officials are increasingly comfortable with the idea of suing regulators, the people said, but the company stopped short in the release of saying it would proceed with a legal challenge. It noted that the law gives it 30 days to seek a judicial review, and said it would “carefully review the designation rationale”—a thick document provided by the panel to explain its reasoning-—as it considers such a step.

That review is expected to take a matter of days as lawyers examine hundreds of pages that outline FSOC’s decision. MetLife previously argued to U.S. regulators that it doesn’t require tougher oversight because it already has enough of a capital cushion under state regulations.

“Singling out” certain companies for U.S. scrutiny “will harm competition” and “lead to higher prices” for consumers, MetLife said in the statement Thursday. MetLife said it supports rules regulating the use of risky products or financial maneuvers, as opposed to heightened oversight for certain companies within the industry.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i really get pissy whenever someone mentions the One Laptop Per Child project for this reason

because that' what people in the third world need. not clean water, or megascale agricultural projects, or meaningful governmental reform. laptops!

obligatory reminder that this project resorted to just throwing crates of the laptop out of helicopters near villages and then hoping for the best

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

im not really sure what people are taking offense with in my post?? i didn't say that sewage wasn't a big deal, just that understanding "germs are what cause disease" is probably even more important because it leads to "ok keep germy sewage away from people" and also dozens of other conclusions that improve public health

i'm fascinated at how recent that development even is

modern medicine is only around 150 years old (counting from the advent of vaccines is typical) and the study of public health in a proper statistical evidence-based sense is just 50 years old

duTrieux. posted:

yes but you see once they have high speed internet floating around in their air then and only then the global economy can work its tendrils into the area and elevate them all out of poverty with jobs like resource extraction

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

qirex posted:

in non-tech [but still] bubble news

metlife is right, they should be free

isn't this america?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

all those kidnapped nigerian girls could use the OLPC laptops to post help messages to Facebook

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

because that' what people in the third world need. not clean water, or large-scale agricultural improvement projects, or physical school buildings with enoug textbooks and pencils for all the students, or meaningful governmental reform. laptops! cheap lovely laptops for everyone!

if they get the internet they can raise funding and disrupt the local economy and elect their chosen officials

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also because the OLPC project was supported in the majority by their deal where you spent 200 dollars and get one laptop for yourself and one goes to peru or wherever, and the only people doing that were horrible fuckin open sores spergholes who just wanted the laptop to sperg around with because it's open source and runs gnu plus linux and it's ONLY A HUNDRED DOLLARS, ie the same people who buy garbage android tablets for 49.95

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 19, 2014

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bassguitarhero posted:

all those kidnapped nigerian girls could use the OLPC laptops to post help messages to Facebook
I think the primary use people found for it in early field testing was using it as a lamp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

hookworm is literally worse than hitler
the greatest living american (jimmy carter) has almost singlehandedly eliminated hookworm's cousin (guinea worm) in africa

in 30 years it went from infecting 3.5 million people a year to 138

good work jimmy

:unsmith:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bassguitarhero posted:

did the kidnappers use pickup trucks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Stymie is right though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Citizen Tayne posted:

Stymie is right though.

stymie's never right

don't quote or compliment anime dog tits

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

there are a couple former olpc people at current job, they're good people

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fritz posted:

there are a couple former olpc people at current job, they're good people

were they on the helicopter squads

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FMguru posted:

the greatest living american (jimmy carter) has almost singlehandedly eliminated hookworm's cousin (guinea worm) in africa

in 30 years it went from infecting 3.5 million people a year to 138

good work jimmy

:unsmith:

it still blows my mind that he won a us presidential election.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Stymie is right though.

i'm basically always right, you just disagree with me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm not always right, but i'm never wrong

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Carly Fiorina is laying the groundwork for what one ally says is an "imminent" presidential campaign—one that could launch as early as next month.

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO, who raised her political profile with a failed run against Sen. Barbara Boxer of California in 2010, has frequently been mentioned as a long-shot contender to seek the Republican presidential nomination. The speculation is driven by equal parts novelty and activity: Fiorina, who paid several high-profile visits to early-nominating states in 2014, acknowledged that she would likely be the only woman in the GOP field.

"Look, I think it would be great if we had female candidates—or candidate," Fiorina told National Journal earlier this year.

Fiorina is now poised to become that candidate. According to three sources with direct knowledge of the situation, she has authorized members of her inner circle to seek out and interview candidates for two key positions on her presidential campaign: political director and communications director. Notably, the sources said, her associates are aiming to fill both positions with women.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWlOxhSIKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKlc77K5dg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

CANDU reactors are fantastic. they can run off completely unenriched natural uranium, nuclear waste that comes out of other reactors, old nuclear bombs, and even thorium in the mythical thorium economy. they are also very difficult to melt down and don't produce anything that could be used in a nuclear bomb except tritium, which is necessary for thermonuclear devices, but if you have all the stuff required to make the rest of a hydrogen bomb you can make tritium with your eyes closed

i mean sure each reactor needs like a billion dollars' worth of heavy water but lol if your country doesn't have tens of thousands of deep lakes with lots of the stuff hanging around at the bottom

the whole world could run on CANDUs forever

i loving love CANDU's so much

gently caress you if you dont love nuclear power

• Locked thread