Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is that like a deal with the devil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
Keep in mind the true victims of Christmas in Aus, unlucky Kris Kringle recipients.

Author of other hit pieces like "lollygate" posted:

Mr Ngoc was working as an economic modeller for the Finance Department when he was targeted by the unnamed colleague with a present that clearly implied his economic modelling work was animal poo.

As part of his team's Kris Kringle, Mr Ngoc was presented with a plastic reindeer.

"When you press its tail it gives you a chocolate dropping, and a play dough with handwritten words 'Luan's modelling kit'," the economist said.

"I was shocked and very upset.
:itwaspoo:

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

He doesn't have to let any stay if he doesn't want to which makes it an even dumber deal.

E: Re: babies

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Pls get a name change to AbbottRetryFail

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

MaxwellsEquations posted:

Keep in mind the true victims of Christmas in Aus, unlucky Kris Kringle recipients.

:itwaspoo:

That is a hilarious KK gift

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I was under the impression that being born here automatically made you an Australian citizen?

Maybe we can let the UN know and they-hehe... they'll... ehehehehe... they'll do... bahaha... they'll do something about iAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA :suicide:

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Anchor babies

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We should be working on a way to harness the power of Morrisons' hatred for babies.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Endman posted:

I was under the impression that being born here automatically made you an Australian citizen?
No, that's the US (and most of North and South America). Here, one of your parents needs to be a citizen or permanent resident, or when the child turns 10 while still living here.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Shorten should ditch the witch if you ask me.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Absolutely disgusting.

That image is RIDDLED with jpeg artifacs.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

T-1000 posted:

No, that's the US (and most of North and South America). Here, one of your parents needs to be a citizen or permanent resident, or when the child turns 10 while still living here.

So the children are effectively stateless? That's messed up.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

quote:

...a bunch of terrorist thugs. I don’t support ISIS.

— Rebecca Kay, 29th September, 2014

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

What a sensible and principled thinker she is.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Mithranderp posted:

Absolutely disgusting.

That image is RIDDLED with jpeg artifacs.

How2TrollA-Troll.jpg

drat son, thought you woulda been onto this poo poo. Are you losing your prowess as you get older? Don't worry, it happens to all of us mate.

I too, used to be with it; but then they changed what it was. And now what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

quote:

Clive Palmer's media adviser and confidant Andrew Crook has been detained by Queensland Police as part of an investigation into the alleged kidnapping of a National Australia Bank executive on an Indonesian island.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

How2TrollA-Troll.jpg

drat son, thought you woulda been onto this poo poo. Are you losing your prowess as you get older? Don't worry, it happens to all of us mate.

I too, used to be with it; but then they changed what it was. And now what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Am I out of touch?

No, it's the children who are wrong.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
#BREAKING @CliveFPalmer's media adviser Andrew Crook detained in raids linked to alleged kidnap of NAB executive

e;fb

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/1/6/316d601946a70d8c/Robert_Talisse_on_the_Importance_of_Argument_in_Politics.mp3

This is worth a listen.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I want to reexamine some impressions I have of Australian political culture- I wonder if any of you would mind considering these two questions:

In general, how do you feel about the Hawk/Keating governments?

Of the Prime ministers since Curtin, which do you assess most positively?

Thanks.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

http://junkee.com/the-guardian-just-spectacularly-trolled-the-age-over-their-waleed-alynazeem-hussain-mix-up/47534

Lovely.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

So, it turns out the AFP contacted an independent counter-terrorism expert to try and get an ISIS flag. Why would they expect him to have one? Can't they use Google to phone a flag shop to print one? The loving incompetency of federal police, man.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dilkington posted:

In general, how do you feel about the Hawk/Keating governments?
Generally positive.

I think Keating was the main driving force of that partnership and deserves a lot of the credit (and blame) for their achievements. I think that having a Labor government during the Reagan / Thatcher years helped insulate us from the worst trends in economic rationalism, and that many of their reforms (superannuation, aboriginal rights, floating the dollar, re-establishing Medicare) were good steps forward. Far from perfect (HECS, mandatory detention, relationship with Indonesia) though.

And that Keating was an arrogant bully who wasn't nearly as witty as some people seem to think.

quote:

Of the Prime ministers since Curtin, which do you assess most positively?
Whitlam, Keating, Gillard. Chifley's someone I don't know much about and might make the list.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Keating to my mind should take a lot of the blame for the one liner focused politics and small target opposition strategies we have seen for the last two decades.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Clive Palmer’s senior adviser, Andrew Crook, has been detained by police in an investigation apparently linked to an alleged kidnapping of a bank executive.

Palmer confirmed the raid, telling Guardian Australia he was initially concerned it had something to do with the Palmer United party’s Queensland state election campaign.

ABC News reported the raid was linked to the alleged kidnapping of an National Australia Bank executive in January 2013.

“[Queensland premier Campbell] Newman’s police raided his office this morning under a search warrant, I went around to the office but was refused access,” Palmer said.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/dec/19/clive-palmer-adviser-andrew-crook-detained-over-raids

:stare:

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Palmer has has compared his arrest to Peter Greste's imprisonment in Egypt.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

How2TrollA-Troll.jpg

Yes, you've well and truly lost "it".

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If the strongest claim you can make for someone is that they weren't as bad as Regan/Thatcher then I think they might not be all that loving flash.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/ama-concerned/5978392

quote:

Concerns for stigmatisation of mentally ill following Sydney siege

Friday 19 December 2014 8:05AM

The Prime Minister, the Islamic community, and the media have described Sydney siege gunman Man Haron Monis as an individual with mental illness.

There are now calls, however, for people not to stigmatise all those with mental health issues.

The Australian Medical Association is concerned the discussion now unfolding could create the misconception that the mentally ill are often violent towards others.

Guests

Dr Bill Pring
Spokesperson for the Australian Medical Association on Psychiatry
Given the headline I thought that this would be a worthwhile piece to listen to. How loving wrong I was. I don't know what dumpster the ABC fished Dr Bill Pring out of but his barely coherent diatribe seemed to be fixated on ensuring that the Sydney incident was clearly an act of terrorism. Way to not address the issue Bill. I usually only want to throw stuff at my radio when Baby Killer Morrison or NTATA are on.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/who-will-clean-up-the-tarkine/5978508

:catstare:

quote:

Who will clean up the Tarkine?

Friday 19 December 2014 8:15AM

Conservationists are questioning who will clean up the toxic rock left by mining company Shree Minerals in the Tarkine wilderness area of Tasmania.

A court has ruled that the Tasmanian Government was wrong to allow the business to store large amounts of acid-producing waste rock above ground.

Shree Minerals put its operations on hold this year due to a drop in iron ore prices, and environmentalists are demanding answers from the State Government about how the site will be rehabilitated.

Listen with mounting disbelief as you find out the mine owners are the same people who were involved in the New Zealand mine disaster and bankrupted the company on their legal defence (Meaning there was no money to pay compensation to victims). They were given special dispensation (it wasn't a significant change to their licence) to dump toxic spoil above ground in the Tarkine, shut the mine and walked away after seven months.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cartoon posted:

If the strongest claim you can make for someone is that they weren't as bad as Regan/Thatcher then I think they might not be all that loving flash.
It wasn't the strongest claim I was making but it was an important bit of context.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Keating to my mind should take a lot of the blame for the one liner focused politics and small target opposition strategies we have seen for the last two decades.
It's one of the lessons learnt from 1993 and Fightback Exclamation Mark, but on the other hand that policy platform was loving awful and deserved to be vigourously attacked.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Aww, it's babby's first flame war.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

e: phone related dp

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It wasn't the strongest claim I was making but it was an important bit of context.

It could have been far worse, if Howard had been able to make a dent earlier. There was some vision and some sort of plan which was better than nothing. Alas, it wouldn't last.

quote:

It's one of the lessons learnt from 1993 and Fightback Exclamation Mark, but on the other hand that policy platform was loving awful and deserved to be vigourously attacked.

And after that there was no vision at all from either party. Once the basic market reforms were done, noone had a clue about where to proceed. Wouldn't budge on manufacturing. No clue at all on R&D. And then ever so quietly and gathering pace we are now in the hole where neoliberalism is so strong we can't even dig ourselves out because government might spend money.

But as a result of no vision, the parties fell to copying presidential style campaigns for, let's admit it, the most jumped-up of officials in a system of jumped-up officials. All the more ridiculous when PMs are only a matter of convention. I'm pretty sure thats when the surplus bullshit started as an admittedly clever way to wedge the Opposition while bullshitting the electorate about how the financial system works. Now both sides actually believe their bullshit, and hyperventilate about nothing because it absolves them of doing what we are paying them for - looking after us.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Generally positive.

I think Keating was the main driving force of that partnership and deserves a lot of the credit (and blame) for their achievements. I think that having a Labor government during the Reagan / Thatcher years helped insulate us from the worst trends in economic rationalism, and that many of their reforms (superannuation, aboriginal rights, floating the dollar, re-establishing Medicare) were good steps forward. Far from perfect (HECS, mandatory detention, relationship with Indonesia) though.

And that Keating was an arrogant bully who wasn't nearly as witty as some people seem to think.

Whitlam, Keating, Gillard. Chifley's someone I don't know much about and might make the list.

Gough Suppressant posted:

A previous girlfriend of mine (Labor right) had a major hard on for Keating and showed me what amounted to a compilation of his sick burns in Parliament and I basically brought up the bolded points. She was more far more concerned about how I rated his rhetoric (and my opinion he was an arrogant wanker) than what I actually thought of his policy achievements (basically the aforementioned mix of good and bad), which now that I think about it, is unsurprising coming from someone involved in student politics obsessed more with winning arguments than actually achieving anything.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Wasn't it Keating who privatised a bunch of poo poo?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Splode posted:

Yeah wasn't he a third way advocate?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Splode posted:

Yeah, he did. Some of which I don't have a problem with (eg QANTAS), some I do (eg CBA).

E:

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah wasn't he a third way advocate?

Keating was pretty much the first Third-Way leader in the Anglosphere, yeah, and set the tone for people like Blair.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 19, 2014

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Kim Jong ill posted:

A previous girlfriend of mine (Labor right) had a major hard on for Keating and showed me what amounted to a compilation of his sick burns in Parliament and I basically brought up the bolded points. She was more far more concerned about how I rated his rhetoric (and my opinion he was an arrogant wanker) than what I actually thought of his policy achievements (basically the aforementioned mix of good and bad), which now that I think about it, is unsurprising coming from someone involved in student politics obsessed more with winning arguments than actually achieving anything.

Sophistry? In Australian politics?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Some of Keating's burns are objectively pretty funny, the problem is when people rewrite the poo poo he did with fond memories of ye olde arguments in QT.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Paul Keating and Kevin Rudd go hand in hand as the Labor Party's biggest Prime Ministerial fuckwits. Both of them put Me before We and both of them relied on personality politics and lost due to a negative ratfucker on the opposition benches defaming the government of the day. No amount of gotchas or jokes will save people like them and there will never be a Fightback! moment to give them a second chance like Keating got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, he did. Some of which I don't have a problem with (eg QANTAS), some I do (eg CBA).

The privatisation of QANTAS was a stupid idea then and its even worse now.

• Locked thread