Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
basically just read the first chapter of starship troopers where they're jumping around a planet of idiot aliens shooting micro nukes everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Darkman Fanpage posted:

basically just read the first chapter of starship troopers where they're jumping around a planet of idiot aliens shooting micro nukes everywhere

Dropping bombs specifically made to scare the aliens into their churches

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Ivor Biggun posted:

Larry Niven's Ringworld used inter-species sex as a diplomatic protocol and even had word for it: "rishathra"

"Just lie back and think of Earth." :pervert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reminder to everyone talking about Rape in the EU: Troy Denning wrote a scene where a thirty year old woman in a dominatrix suit sexually assaulted a fourteen year old boy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Starship Troopers the book was 95% military fellatio

You don't have to work in the military to vote in the book you're confusing it with the film.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

You don't have to work in the military to vote in the book you're confusing it with the film.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a bad book

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

starship troopers is also like really right wing pro-military ooh rah war is great, only soldiers are allowed to vote

and he was like a huge libertarian nutjob, and both issac asimov and arthur c. clarke said he was a douche

Just to be fair, Asimov greeted female fans by shaking their breasts instead of their hands.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Young Freud posted:

Just to be fair, Asimov greeted female fans by shaking their breasts instead of their hands.

being a rich old dude sounds sweet as hell

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reminder to everyone talking about Rape in the EU: Troy Denning wrote a scene where a thirty year old woman in a dominatrix suit sexually assaulted a fourteen year old boy.

Still not the most offensive thing Denning has written into the EU.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

How would a Hutt even gently caress a Twi'lek?

grab them by their little tentacles and gently caress them ???

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
the whole heinlein "specialization" spiel is a relatively decent piece of advice if it weren't the fact that it was said by robert heinlein which automatically invalidates it

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Doesn't change the fact that it's a bad book

I remember reading Rico crowing about how MI suits are the awesome thing ever and could beat an arbitrary number of non-power-armored human troops :what: inducing. Wouldn't those stupid suits be easy MANPADS fodder as soon as they light the jump jets?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember reading Rico crowing about how MI suits are the awesome thing ever and could beat an arbitrary number of non-power-armored human troops :what: inducing. Wouldn't those stupid suits be easy MANPADS fodder as soon as they light the jump jets?

Nuh-uh cause they got missile proof lasers and a big gun that'll see you when you shot the rocket and blow you up KABOOM

Young Freud posted:

Golden age

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:gas: the novels :ban: stackpole

TheSpiritFox posted:

All of this was to reassure a 16 year old kid from Tattooine that it was ok that he wanted to gently caress one of these

Or maybe these?

Whichever depiction of Bothans makes you laugh harder, basically.

definitely the second one because a pronounced snout prevents you from evolving a large fragile brain case due to stress distribution when biting on things :spergin: so physics says the second bothan must be like a bipedal dog except dumber

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Not really. i'm going to preemptively :spergin: myself for this, but MANPADS would be effective maybe in open terrain and sky, where a MANPAD has an effective range of 3-4km, but the whole thing about MI suits is that we see them used in urban warfare against a relatively-equal technological alien culture, jumping from building to building. In most urban warfare, the engagement range is something like 150m to 200m if you're lucky. The minimum distance the tracking will engage on most MANPADs is between 200m for something like the Stinger to 600m for it's Russian equivalent. At that point, you're better off using a RPG, since they're cheaper and you can carry more of them, but even then, hitting man-sized targets with RPGs is hard, let alone a fast moving man-sized target like a powered suit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Young Freud posted:

Not really. i'm going to preemptively :spergin: myself for this, but MANPADS would be effective maybe in open terrain and sky, where a MANPAD has an effective range of 3-4km, but the whole thing about MI suits is that we see them used in urban warfare against a relatively-equal technological alien culture, jumping from building to building. In most urban warfare, the engagement range is something like 150m to 200m if you're lucky. The minimum distance the tracking will engage on most MANPADs is between 200m for something like the Stinger to 600m for it's Russian equivalent. At that point, you're better off using a RPG, since they're cheaper and you can carry more of them, but even then, hitting man-sized targets with RPGs is hard, let alone a fast moving man-sized target like a powered suit.

If you can make fast, flying, nuke slinging robot suits then you can make something to shoot down those fast, flying, nuke slinging robot suits.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If you can make fast, flying, nuke slinging robot suits then you can make something to shoot down those fast, flying, nuke slinging robot suits.

The only thing that can take a fast, flying, nuke-slinging robot suit is another fast, flying, nuke-slinging robot suit (or a giant, nuke-slinging cybertank like an Ogre or a Bolo), which is why we never see that in the novel. It's either skinnies, who are capable of doing so but don't, and the bugs, who have no need for such things.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Shut the gently caress up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gently caress you, GOTO is awesome. Crazy robot with broken logic that tries to "fix" the republic by pretending to be a person projected via hologram, but is really a mob leader who uses black market deals to stimulate damaged economies.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Young Freud posted:

That's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. What kind of loving moron would use giant robot suits for urban warfare? Either you intend on capturing the city intact and your troops have to be able to fit through doors, occupy buildings, not fall through floors, and do complex things with their hands, or you intend on committing genocide and blowing the whole place to kingdom come before sending your troops in after the city has been turned into a nice open battlefield by massive bombardment or nuclear weapons. The MI are completely silly, a force with ridiculously small numbers and an absurdly lopsided tooth-to-tail ratio. They're almost as silly as the movie version.

And although Heinlein couldn't have predicted this, modern advances in technology make the MI doctrine even more retarded because battlefield IT and augmented reality would make MI suits incredibly obvious targets visible from anywhere even when they're on the ground.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 19, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

That's a hell of an act. What's it called?

The Mofference

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress you, GOTO is awesome. Crazy robot with broken logic that tries to "fix" the republic by pretending to be a person projected via hologram, but is really a mob leader who uses black market deals to stimulate damaged economies.

Nah GOTO was pretty lame because the twist that the mysterious crime lord who showed up out of nowhere and only appears via hologram was actually a hologram was super obvious to anybody who has ever consumed any sci-fi before and he was a pretty lovely party member

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Still can't get over that Mofference thing being a real EU thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
was steven moffet part of the mofference

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Mofference" is still a less stupid portmanteau than the real world etmylogical partial-birth-abortion that is "webinar."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

We should hold a webinar about the Mofference and then vlog about it.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i think the most hosed up thing abot star wars is that jabba the hutt isn't male

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

brb wookepedia searching "jabba + preferred + pronouns"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
much like real gastropods hutts are hermaphrodites

this is important to the star wars lore

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i actually got the special edition of the star wars galaxies mmo with the art book (it was actually on sale cheaper than the standard one on amazon is my defense for getting the SE, but i have no defense for unironically playing MMOs)

in the art book they point out that they didn't give mon cal women breasts b/c they are fish people

then a few years later lucas comes out with episode 3 where you barely see it but i guess the mon cal water dancers in that opera scene have fishtits

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
JJ Abrams should make a trilogy based upon Hutt criminal empires, I'd watch the poo poo out of it. Also wtf ever happened to Jabba's kid

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Otisburg posted:

i actually got the special edition of the star wars galaxies mmo with the art book (it was actually on sale cheaper than the standard one on amazon is my defense for getting the SE, but i have no defense for unironically playing MMOs)

in the art book they point out that they didn't give mon cal women breasts b/c they are fish people

then a few years later lucas comes out with episode 3 where you barely see it but i guess the mon cal water dancers in that opera scene have fishtits

fishtits were designed for motorboating

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Woolie Wool posted:

Infernal Sky is mind-bendingly terrible enough to stand with the best worst of the EU, especially with the soldiers ending up on an alien ship naked and conversing with two aliens named Sears and Roebuck oh and the demons are some other kind of aliens and here's some weird jargon and bullshit eschatology that has nothing to do with why anyone played Doom.

While we're on the subject of awful things that nerds like, I reminisced yesterday about Babylon 5 and in hindsight it was much, much worse than I thought it was when I first watched it. People don't talk in that show, they give speeches and declaim to each other, and the more endlessly quoted the declamation by Babylon 5 nerds, the worse it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA
This is the most quoted scene in the entire series and also one of the worst. It is a complete and utter failure in writing, delivery, and direction.

I think you meant this one, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaSmassvv4w

No, why... why does this show do these things. Stop talking and start shooting before this gets really bad...

... oh. Nevermind.

Generally I feel most of Sheridan's ranting/speeching was pretty good, at least. That Ivonova clip I just linked though... man, I think when that starts I just skip to the next episode.

And then Crusade introduced Galen or whoever and he was the living embodiment of JMS's sometimes really cringeworthy writing.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 19, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the show does those things because it is a melodramatic war opera

goons

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
At first I was relieved that starship troopers tactical realism chat was over but if you nerds are just gonna start talking about battlestar galactica instead then bring on the power armor and unisex showers

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

At first I was relieved that starship troopers tactical realism chat was over but if you nerds are just gonna start talking about battlestar galactica instead then bring on the power armor and unisex showers

battlestar galactica fuckin owns you sperg

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Nah GOTO was pretty lame because the twist that the mysterious crime lord who showed up out of nowhere and only appears via hologram was actually a hologram was super obvious to anybody who has ever consumed any sci-fi before and he was a pretty lovely party member

also wasnt it almost impossible to get all of his story because he had very few conversations and few ways to get more rep with him

Aftertaster
Mar 29, 2007

Hello! Hi there! How are you!? Oh my God, hello! Greetings!! How ARE you!? Jesus Christ, good day!! MY GOD! SALUTATIONS!! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN DOING!?!?
Has anybody replied that the entire EU is dumb? Has anybody said that yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Captain Candiru posted:

I think you meant this one, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaSmassvv4w

No, why... why does this show do these things. Stop talking and start shooting before this gets really bad...

... oh. Nevermind.

Generally I feel most of Sheridan's ranting/speeching was pretty good, at least. That Ivonova clip I just linked though... man, I think when that starts I just skip to the next episode.

And then Crusade introduced Galen or whoever and he was the living embodiment of JMS's sometimes really cringeworthy writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpb1OXvNNMc

• Locked thread