Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Pattonesque posted:

RVN-3L is really good in CW in the first round on defense. You can poke from hills near the gates, which give you a lot of cover. It's tough for enemies to fire back, and you can really do some damage with repeated two-ER Large alphas. Once the gates come down, you can keep poking until the push starts, in which case you can quickly re-position farther back and pick off open components.

At least I have one useful mech. Once I figure out if I can get any use of those odd gift mechs and change the load outs. I need to get someone's input who recognizes them as I still have no idea what they are or where they came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

demonR6 posted:

At least I have one useful mech. Once I figure out if I can get any use of those odd gift mechs and change the load outs. I need to get someone's input who recognizes them as I still have no idea what they are or where they came from.

If you ever bought MC you get a cent AH which you should shove a big engine, SRMs and an AC 20 in and run around shooting people with.

If you bought founders (I think) you have an Atlas S which you can kit out like an atlas. Lots of SRMs and a big AC.

If you bought any top tier pack be it Phoenix, clan or founders you have a king loving crab. Big ballistics and energy weapons are the order of the day and a decent engine so you don't crawl everywhere.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

If you ever bought MC you get a cent AH which you should shove a big engine, SRMs and an AC 20 in and run around shooting people with.

If you bought founders (I think) you have an Atlas S which you can kit out like an atlas. Lots of SRMs and a big AC.

If you bought any top tier pack be it Phoenix, clan or founders you have a king loving crab. Big ballistics and energy weapons are the order of the day and a decent engine so you don't crawl everywhere.

Buying MC got you the Centurion AH

If you ever bought *any* pack, you got the Atlas S.

If you bough the *top tier* of any pack, you got the Atlas S and the King Crab 000

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

EoRaptor posted:

Buying MC got you the Centurion AH

If you ever bought *any* pack, you got the Atlas S.

If you bough the *top tier* of any pack, you got the Atlas S and the King Crab 000

So I was just wrong on the middle one then - I couldn't remember what the S was for.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
So, looks like they are opening up the Skinner box and having a two week tournament with Christmas "stocking stuffers" a la Halloween.

I particularly like how, if you are on the naughty list, you might get an IS weapon.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
So with CW you have a total tonnage limit instead of just picking from the top one or two tonnage tiers of the category you drop? That's cool.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kylra posted:

So with CW you have a total tonnage limit instead of just picking from the top one or two tonnage tiers of the category you drop? That's cool.

Yeah, right now it's 140-240. That may change later. So you can bring, like, four Firestarters, or two Atlases and two Locusts. This makes stuff like Awesomes more valuable 'cause that's an extra 20 or so tons you can distribute across your other three mechs.

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 18, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What.. you can't pause the patching? I had to go to bed last night, halfway there, and now I start it up again from the beginning??

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Affi posted:

What.. you can't pause the patching? I had to go to bed last night, halfway there, and now I start it up again from the beginning??

Pause the patching? AHAHAHA

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

Merry Mechmas!

What better way to celebrate Christmas this year than to give people the gift of mechs. To celebrate the release of CW (it doesn't suck!) and the fact that WoL actually has a lot of people playing again, Rivvin and I decided to throw a contest. This contest is open to any member of WoL.

The winners will be chosen by the highest match score they earn over the contest duration. The top three players with the highest match scores will each win a prize.

Run Date
This contest is running from December 18th (today) - December 22nd. You will receive your prize by January 1st. I'll be on Christmas vacation so I'm giving myself some leeway.

Rules
1) You must drop in a 10-12 man WoL group
2) Only CW drops count
3) Do not send me a screenshot of your score every time you get a higher one. If you send me more than two screenshots, you will not qualify.

Participation
To submit your score, email your screenshot to mechs4christmas@gmail.com. You have until 9:00AM EST on December 23rd to submit your screenshot to me.

Prizes
Top Goon:
$50 of Karma Coin goodness to put towards MC

Second Top Goon:
$25 of Karma Coin goodness to put towards MC

Third Top Goon:
$15 of Karma Coin goodness to put towards MC

Fourth Top Goon:
Nothing. You were not good enough to be in the ranks of those listed above. They are better than you in nearly every way that matters.

(Thank you Iminay for making the banner, your schlong skills are beyond compare)

Biscuit Hider fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 18, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Kazvall posted:

Pause the patching? AHAHAHA

:smith:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hybridfusion posted:

Run Date
This contest is running from December 18th (today) - December 22nd. You will receive your prize by January 1st. I'll be on Christmas vacation so I'm giving myself some leeway.

Good luck to everyone that can compete- I'll be out of town.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Affi posted:

If it's like other downloaders, you are starting at 0% of however much you have left to download/patch (because that's not confusing at all :downs:)

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

We should run a competition to see what Bryan and Russ name their company next, once they've drained the last few dollars out of the ever-frothing teats of internet autists.

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005
Everything I do is motivated by stupidity

Hybridfusion posted:

Contest Crap

Also, if you can please highlight or note exactly who you are in the screenshot that would be very helpful. I have no idea who's forum names are matched to ingame names, so please make it easy on us.

I am particularly fond of this example:

Rivv fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 18, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Prawned posted:

We should run a competition to see what Bryan and Russ name their company next, once they've drained the last few dollars out of the ever-frothing teats of internet autists.

When did Harrison Ford become such a cranky old man?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rivv posted:

Also, if you can please highlight or note exactly who you are in the screenshot that would be very helpful. I have no idea who's forum names are matched to ingame names, so please make it easy on us.

I am particularly fond of this example:

good heavens, what did you even drop with?

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

good heavens, what did you even drop with?

I think this was:
1. AC5 Dragon 1n
2. 3 LPL Dragon 1c
3. AC20 Hunch 4g
4. Gauss Hunch GI

edit:
I lie, this was with a 3 LPL thunderbolt, I swapped out the dragon

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Kazvall posted:

When did Harrison Ford become such a cranky old man?

About the same time that Navy Seals: Weapons of Mass Destruction was released to much critical acclaim.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Prawned posted:

About the same time that Navy Seals: Weapons of Mass Destruction was released to much critical acclaim.

hmm..... pgi bad...... yes....

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Prawned posted:

Please, each time someone says something bad about the game just quote with an "I know".

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

So I was just wrong on the middle one then - I couldn't remember what the S was for.

That explains where they came from, they all three sport the same anime looking graphics. I still have the 20k MC from founders so I can dick around with these mechs and get them set up.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Patch is delayed but in other news the Christmas event seems good. Earn 80 points in CW or 30 in normals get a chance to win random prizes. gently caress all you guys getting grid irons I love hunchbacks and you are making me want to buy one. Also don;t tell me about the Karma coin deal where I get the mastery pack for free (actually do)

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
And now our wonderful record is going to be plunged by goons insisting on shooting mechs over turrets for their karma koin fix. Thanks Obama!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

demonR6 posted:

That explains where they came from, they all three sport the same anime looking graphics. I still have the 20k MC from founders so I can dick around with these mechs and get them set up.

I thought it was nordic mythology. :confused:

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005

Hoboskins posted:

Patch is delayed but in other news the Christmas event seems good. Earn 80 points in CW or 30 in normals get a chance to win random prizes. gently caress all you guys getting grid irons I love hunchbacks and you are making me want to buy one. Also don;t tell me about the Karma coin deal where I get the mastery pack for free (actually do)

Grid Iron is a staple on my deck... stop wanting one and just get one.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Grid Iron is a cool Robot, and nobody will hate you for picking one up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wow, goons actually telling other goons to spend money on this game (for something other than mechbays) :3:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Feindfeuer posted:

Grid Iron is a cool Robot, and nobody will hate you for picking one up.

No, buy a Pirate's Bane. Be an annoying ghost who vanishes into the night.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Are they planning on changing the Mech Skill trees? Because buying three variants of a mech is still kind of astoundingly annoying.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cosmic Afro posted:

Are they planning on changing the Mech Skill trees? Because buying three variants of a mech is still kind of astoundingly annoying.

At least the new faction crap lets you get around having to buy MC for mechbays, kind of. At least I think you're supposed to get mechbays periodically from those.

e: Does anyone have a link to the post where someone had some .ini tweaks to make the game run better?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 19, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mindblast posted:

I thought it was nordic mythology. :confused:

They were hard for me to tell what the image was, it looked cartoonish. I would have been fine with some nifty camo pattern. Of the three I was only able to take out the Centurion and it was not as bad as I expected. The King Crab and Atlas I was not as hyped up about. I don't have a good track record with the founder's Atlas.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

WarLocke posted:

At least the new faction crap lets you get around having to buy MC for mechbays, kind of. At least I think you're supposed to get mechbays periodically from those.

e: Does anyone have a link to the post where someone had some .ini tweaks to make the game run better?

Eatpants posted:

Add this somewhere in the OP as well please

A couple people have been complaining about low FPS. Here's my user.cfg http://pastebin.com/wjxmK9tE

place user.cfg in \Mechwarrior Online -- most important is to set it to read-only!

Now you need to go into \Mechwarrior Online\USER\Profiles\yourname and edit Attributes.xml , change this option <Attr name="OptionCfg.sys_spec" value="-1" Make sure it is set to -1

Now set Attributes.xml to readonly as well and launch the game! wooooohoooo bad computers

Also if your videocard is a decent dx11 card you will get a slight performance boost running DX11 instead of DX9

This works, btw.

EDIT:

PGI hasn't released a web-based map yet, BUT they did release an API for getting the invasion info. A guy made a thing: http://lithium720.net/mwo/fbf.py

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 19, 2014

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

This works, btw.

EDIT:

PGI hasn't released a web-based map yet, BUT they did release an API for getting the invasion info. A guy made a thing: http://lithium720.net/mwo/fbf.py

That's kinda neat. And we should be adding unit tags to 2 more planets after the downtime.(maybe)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Did the 64-bit client stuff come out today or am I imagining that? I didn't realize until it was mentioned in those patch notes that 12 of my 16gb of RAM was being wasted on this game. :saddowns:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Did the 64-bit client stuff come out today or am I imagining that? I didn't realize until it was mentioned in those patch notes that 12 of my 16gb of RAM was being wasted on this game. :saddowns:

Patch was delayed due to drunk monkey UI issues. Servers currently patching.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Patch is live with 15 min to go before cf

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My guess is it will cut out a few crash bugs and introduce a slightly larger number of crash bugs.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I spent the patch time making friendly with 4TCR's CO. They're in line with us philosophically re: having fun and not trying too hard, but a bit lore oriented which is cool, so they'll be fine to work with I think. They have a TS that they have successfully funneled some pubs into, so for now I'm going to use that to coordinate organizing non-bird scrubs for our bush league hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
hey 19 don't suppose the cw maps could be added to the testing grounds or for customs? would be nice to explore them outside of a match.

• Locked thread