Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked P4A as a game but the story mode was kind of a mess and I never got Ultimax. If I wanted to watch an hour of text there's YouTube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Excels posted:

i just want sho to come back.

I want Ikutsuki's stupid, absurd legacy to continue. :japan:

I agree. I think Adachi is probably the smartest person in the cast, but at the end of the day he couldn't really give a poo poo. Though, for Dojima to be working directly alongside the killer really calls his perceptiveness into question (or Adachi is one crazy good actor)

Adachi seems decent at keeping a good facade, as long as he isn't directly poked (and then he breaks down because there is one thing Adachi just can't deal with it's difficulty of any kind), so it's pretty credible that if he wasn't directly caught doing something suspicious, no one would suspect him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's worth noting that Adachi wasn't going out and doing Dexter poo poo or anything

He committed two murders, both of which were basically impossible crimes, and then a copycat killer took over and muddied the waters while committing the exact same impossible crimes, which in turn were stopped from becoming full murders. Adachi didn't even kill anyone himself, he put them into a position where they were murdered by monsters. That's actually a pretty drat hard crime to solve and as the mystery went on there was on reason to suspect Adachi even under pressure because Adachi wasn't the one doing the kidnappings.

And then there's a third unrelated murder which was a copycat crime but not an impossible one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe if Dojima had paid more attention to his s-links Persona 4 wouldn't have happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe if Dojima had paid more attention to his s-links Persona 4 wouldn't have happened.
he gave lager-chan all the attention she deserved

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sho is a cool dude, who just needed some friends and a robot girlfriend.

RIP Minazuki

Nate RFB posted:

I suppose this discussion will eventually summon The Manatee, but despite liking the first Arena well enough I thought Ultimax was pretty darn dumb and a waste of time. Episode Adachi wasn't bad though.

Ultimax's story is dumber and more silly than Arena's, but thanks to Sho it honestly moves a lot better since there is an active antagonist interacting with the characters and not just some loving bear in a TV. That being said, it's a drat VN so both move about as well as you'd expect in terms of good pacing and story building.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, at least Ultimax's story feels like an actual story instead of the Persona 4 cast bumbling around for ten hours until a robot cries.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I liked how incredibly apathetic Adachi was through most of Ultimax. Just slouching towards the end of the world. Also (though this extends back to P4 proper) the nickname Adachy-baby is my least favorite thing about Adachi, Teddie, and possibly P4. Some dudes are too evil for cutesy pet names.

IMHO Adachi was too indifferent to be even considered "evil" and I haven't cleared P4:G/Arena so bear with me for a bit. IIRC his entire motivation was: I was bored and bitter about my job demotion. Sure. I know I feel his pain as most jobs are mind-numbingly tedious even on the good days.

I don't understand how he thought welp, it's time to commit some crimes in this small town because I can? Real life sucks but doesn't mean I can't just do whatever instead :v:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Alder posted:

IMHO Adachi was too indifferent to be even considered "evil" and I haven't cleared P4:G/Arena so bear with me for a bit. IIRC his entire motivation was: I was bored and bitter about my job demotion. Sure. I know I feel his pain as most jobs are mind-numbingly tedious even on the good days.

I don't understand how he thought welp, it's time to commit some crimes in this small town because I can? Real life sucks but doesn't mean I can't just do whatever instead :v:

Nah he's pretty evil

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ultimax's plot felt like fanfiction. But it's a fighting game, so what did I expect?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Goons I need your help. I finished Persona 3 and now I feel like I have nothing to do.

(I have Persona 4 but I'm waiting until New Year's to start it up)

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Goons I need your help. I finished Persona 3 and now I feel like I have nothing to do.

Buy and play the Raidou games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sounds like it's time to play Persona Q.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

play persona 4 or dds or detective game or nocturne or smt 4 or go outside and make some social links

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's worth noting that PQ spoils some stuff (nothing major, mostly character stuff) and you wouldn't get as much out of it without prior attachment to that cast.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

A Bystander posted:

Buy and play the Raidou games.

Raidou 1 had a good story but I can't really say I loved the combat. Never played 2 because my PS2 broke and I'm too lazy to fix it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Raidou 1 had a good story but I can't really say I loved the combat. Never played 2 because my PS2 broke and I'm too lazy to fix it.

Raidou 2 fixes a lot of the gameplay issues that were in 1 (you don't have to buy ammo ever, for example), so it's a good deal.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

PCSX2, man.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sounds like someone needs to play The Answer!
(Don't play the Answer)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Alder posted:

Well, don't forget the gleeful egomania, too: He believe himself to be superior to everyone and to be owed anything he wants on the spot. Not exactly surprising he would turn to murder if he was given the means to do so without repercussion, he can finally mete out some justice on all those fools who crossed him!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I only watched the LP of Arena, and don't know any of what happened in Ultimax, but I liked the story well enough. It had to make concessions to make any sense whatsoever, but it excelled at character moments and did well to make them happen as often as possible.

I do remember absolutely loving Hacked Labrys' voice, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Play Persona 2 and Persona 2, the games with the best cast.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

I still don't see what make them the best cast. Do play the game, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

I still don't see what make them the best cast. Do play the game, though.

Eikichi and Ulala, respectively.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Si no interesting characters? :v: I mean Ulala gets like 5mn of screentime and Eikichi is an unpleasant twat and a waste of a good concept.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nah, Eikichi has a pretty great arc and unless you only played Innocent Sin Ulala definitely gets more than 5 minutes to shine. But the true best character of the P2 games is Baofu anyway with Innocent Sin Maya as a runner-up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iceclaw posted:

Si no interesting characters? :v: I mean Ulala gets like 5mn of screentime and Eikichi is an unpleasant twat and a waste of a good concept.

This is really funny.

But this is funnier.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

drat thats hosed up, even for a troll...

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

Sounds like it's time to play Persona Q.

That's a terrible idea if he hasn't played 4. The answer is to play P3P female route, DDS 1 and 2, Raidou 2, Nocturne (play this first), Soul Hackers, SMT IV, and then DSO.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't need to play Persona 4 to play PQ. You don't need to play P3 to play Persona Q. You don't need to play PQ. Just go and enjoy the holidays with your family and friends and eat a nice turkey or ham.

Then realize it's actually a DemonTurkeyPig.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ignore beef waifu

you need to play all three over your holiday vacation

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was actually a stealth recommendation for DDS

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Man, I really need to play Ultimax and I guess Golden for Adachi's social link because after only playing vanilla P4, I find Adachi uninteresting and a really lame villain.

But apparently he's cool and gets characterization and that's neat.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Moltrey posted:

Man, I really need to play Ultimax and I guess Golden for Adachi's social link because after only playing vanilla P4, I find Adachi uninteresting and a really lame villain.

But apparently he's cool and gets characterization and that's neat.

you could watch the two Adachi-centric episodes of the Golden anime, they are actually quite decent

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Thank you for the recommendations, goons. I will look for more SMT games to play in 2015 (and hopefully not take as long to finish P4 because P3 is such a goddamn slog gameplay-wise that I spent an entire year on it).

HGH posted:

Sounds like someone needs to play The Answer!
(Don't play the Answer)

I don't even want to touch The Answer after I just got around to liking Yukari.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
yukari has perfectly justifiable reasons for acting the way she does in P3 and The Answer

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yukari = buys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Has there been any word on SMT II localization on iOS? It's been almost a year since SMT I got released on the English language store.