Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is it fair to say Apple is dead at this point?

Clearly where the discussion was heading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean if I had to guess I'd guess that 16 gb is the most popular size though since it's the cheapest...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iPhone 6 and iOS 8 are great. Apple has taken the good parts of Android and executed them better than Android has. Apple Maps sucked, and the whole presentation with U2 was embarrassing. But Apple is still making the best phones, tablets and laptops that money can buy.

It seems as though a lot of people believe that Apple didn't have flaws while Steve Jobs was alive, and every time a flaw comes to light now, they say "Steve wouldn't have let it happen." That's silly.

Most users can operate just fine with 16GB as long as they janitor their phones. Users should not have to janitor their phones, though, and that's why it's a fuckup on Apple's part.

brap fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 19, 2014

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Would Steve have let the iphone 6 happen?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, he probably would have had to capitulate at some point. Steve Jobs didn't want iPod to be available to Windows users. He had to be pressured into it. He didn't know everything.

Anyway, I was the biggest skeptic I knew of the bigphone when it was announced. But now that I have one, I think it's awesome, and I prefer it to the size of the 5.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
He thought he could cure cancer by eating fruit. He didn't know everything is an understatement.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

flosofl posted:

Far be it from me to lionize they guy, but this 16GB poo poo would probably not have happened with Steve at the helm.

Steve would never steer us wrong.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, you don't need to send a pic to use group MMS. Out of the box, if you send a group message to all green people, or a combination of blue/green, it'll send an MMS. That started with iOS 5, IIRC.

Do you have MMS group messaging turned off in Settings > Messages > Group Messaging?

I don't have a settings area at all for Group Messaging.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Would Steve have let the iphone 6 happen?

I'm pretty sure if you watch the original iPhone announcement video, he says something like "we're going to come out with all kinds of different sizes and 3G phones in the future" somewhere toward the end.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flosofl posted:

I think they're pushing it is because no one wants it. So for a company that prides itself on a extremely lean and best in class JIT supply chain, that poo poo is clogging the tubes.

Far be it from me to lionize they guy, but this 16GB poo poo would probably not have happened with Steve at the helm.

The wrongest post of all the wrong posts.

The $199 iPhone still outsells every other model combined.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Almost every major carrier is doing away with the subsidized-price-for-a-2-year-contract deal, though. You know that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I don't have a settings area at all for Group Messaging.

Nothing like this if you scroll down?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Almost every major carrier is doing away with the subsidized-price-for-a-2-year-contract deal, though. You know that.

Ok then, let me rephrase that.

"The cheapest iPhone outsells all other iPhones combined"

This includes sales outside the US.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Nothing like this if you scroll down?

What the heck. That option is literally missing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

~Coxy posted:

What the heck. That option is literally missing.

What country are you in?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm guessing Australia based on the time zone?

From googling, it looks like the group MMS function is carrier dependent, and I saw at least one post on Apple's forums saying it didn't work on Telstra. So maybe that's it? That sucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Australia, I guess it could be something to do with my carrier not supporting it. (vodafone lol)
E:F;B

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

fordan posted:

Steve would never steer us wrong.

Why are you bringing up the iCloud beta?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why are you bringing up the iCloud beta?

:chloe: No idea at all?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the new iOS versions made it so advertisements couldn't just open up the App Store anymore and switch you over to it, but this still happens and it's annoying as gently caress.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought the new iOS versions made it so advertisements couldn't just open up the App Store anymore and switch you over to it, but this still happens and it's annoying as gently caress.

I'm gonna quote my own post since I explained this a couple weeks ago.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yes, but it's basically destined to always be a cat and mouse game. Advertisers who make ads that redirect to the App Store are using completely legitimate techniques, they're just using them in undesirable ways. There's no perfect way to programmatically detect that. Apple tried to stop it in iOS 8, but clearly people have figured out how to beat whatever algorithm Apple came up with.

It's a lovely situation all around. There's no way for Apple to totally prevent it without breaking legitimate behavior.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
In my car I have an old Belkin 30-pin charger that has a mini-jack output and play/pause/track controls on the face of the cig lighter plug.

It's a clean way to do a single wire connection tidy with a hardwire aux-in and the buttons eliminate some fumbling with the phone while driving.

Does anything similar exist for Lightning or has the DAC circuitry required scared off accessory makers?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

obi_ant posted:

Is there something that I can buy to make my iPhone into a tripod without it being "obnoxious"? I really want to use the lapse timer, but I can't seem to find anything to prop up the phone somewhere nice, without it being like some sort of case / stand hybrid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tabletop-Mini-Tripods/ci/391/N/4075788740

Most table top tripods collapse to varying degrees of un-obnoxiousness.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821603-REG/Joby_GP15_0RAM_GorillaPod_Micro_250_Tripod.html

That one specifically collapses to be about the size of a bic lighter.

Most need you to supply your own 1/4"-20 threaded mount of some kind but if you got something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/928223-REG/dot_line_dl_0914_smartphone_tripod_mount.html you'd be able to pop it in and out pretty easily.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

In my car I have an old Belkin 30-pin charger that has a mini-jack output and play/pause/track controls on the face of the cig lighter plug.

It's a clean way to do a single wire connection tidy with a hardwire aux-in and the buttons eliminate some fumbling with the phone while driving.

Does anything similar exist for Lightning or has the DAC circuitry required scared off accessory makers?

Seems like in a pinch you could just get a lightning to 30 pin adapter and go to town with what you've got.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like in a pinch you could just get a lightning to 30 pin adapter and go to town with what you've got.

That's what I'm doing now and it works. The Belkin thing is starting to separate at the plug and is intermittent on cold mornings when the cable is stiff. Plus I'd like a similar setup for the second car without having to buy another $30 adapter as well.

AnimeAvatar
Sep 27, 2002
Quick question, think it belongs in this thread.

Just sent an iMessage (picture w/ some text) to a fellow iPhone user, at first the message says "delivered" then about 5-10 minutes late I get a notification saying "message send failure." Was the message actually delivered, what is going on here? I've goggled this and there seems to be no concise answer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

just chiming in to say I've had the following case and screen protector and they're quite nice. So FYI and all that

iCarez® for Apple iPhone 6 4.7 " [HD Anti Glare] Highest Quality Pr... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2KYBSW/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Z2pLub1Y2541N

iPhone 6 Case, Spigen Tough Armor S Case for iPhone 6 (4.7-Inch) - Retail Packaging - Metal Slate (SGP11043) by Spigen http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LL66DKI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Y3pLub0JJGV99

Gf got me this pebble steel smart watch and she's mad because I was just like "what would I do with this." Seriously I'm not a businessman I don't understand the point. I guess to change songs? And read the texts I get from her? Anyone have one?

-edit ok I can use it as a sleep tracker and set a time period to have it wake me up based on my movements. That's pretty cool. (Not a new concept I know but does negate other devices. Hell watches that do that alone are $150ish)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 20, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

It's a lovely situation all around. There's no way for Apple to totally prevent it without breaking legitimate behavior.
They could use the new App Store sheet/pop up thing to make it much much much less obnoxious, thought it was weird that they didn't use it cause it's more convenient for legitimate links as well.

(:runs off to the feedback page:)

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm upgrading today from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 6. When making this big of an upgrade, is it advisable to just start fresh instead of trying to do a backup/restore to the new phone? This thing is still running iOS 6.1.6.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I wouldn't say that, you're only two major versions behind. You can always give restoring from backup a shot and if it doesn't work you won't be out too much time.

The speed might blow your head clean off though :ohdear:

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot

carry on then posted:

I wouldn't say that, you're only two major versions behind. You can always give restoring from backup a shot and if it doesn't work you won't be out too much time.

The speed might blow your head clean off though :ohdear:

Hah, yeah, I'm looking forward to upgrading this thing. The 3GS has served me very well, but it's time to finally send her off (to the closet, where it'll serve as a backup phone).

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
Also, how are the official Apple leather cases? I plan on using a case, and there's an Apple store right across the street from AT&T I can pop into.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've been using the same backup from my 3G and have had no problems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Clint Howard posted:

Also, how are the official Apple leather cases? I plan on using a case, and there's an Apple store right across the street from AT&T I can pop into.

They're very nice. I highly recommend it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Clint Howard posted:

Hah, yeah, I'm looking forward to upgrading this thing. The 3GS has served me very well, but it's time to finally send her off (to the closet, where it'll serve as a backup phone).

Dude what's the battery life on that thing after 5 years? Mine always poo poo the bed after like a year and a half.

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
Just got back from the Apple store. Yeah, the iPhone 6 is a nice upgrade from the 3GS. I'm also upgrading from 3G to LTE speeds, so... yeah. :stare:

Restoring from backup worked perfectly.

Bum the Sad posted:

Dude what's the battery life on that thing after 5 years? Mine always poo poo the bed after like a year and a half.

Not great! I don't know how much screen on time I got or whatever, but it always needed a charge at least once a day. If I tried to actually do anything with it like browse the web, I could get maybe an hour out of it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Be aware you won't get to switch SIM cards, so your 3GS might be difficult to use as a backup phone. An hour? Jeez.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can buy a nano to standard SIM adapter on the bay for about five dollars

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So I walked into the Apple store yesterday planning on getting a 6 after working with a 5 for the past two years. On my way there my friend off-handedly remarks to me that the 6 doesn't have 1080p. My whole game plan changes.

I arrived at the store and took the 6 and 6+ side by side to watch a YouTube video. The difference blew me away. Typing from my 6+ now. Just wish I weren't a poor so I could've gotten the 64 GB version as that's the price point I was going for with the 6.

My main reason for originally wanting a 6 was because I do a lot of one-handed texting. Luckily I have pretty big 6'3" guy hands so I'm still able to do so with 6+ while, for example, on my side in bed with the screen locked to portrait (and with keyboard set to trusty SwiftKey). I also talked about my incompetence with Nintype in the app thread; with the new screen real estate I have, everything is a lot easier, especially in landscape.

And best of all, it easily fits into my usual jeans pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
god drat it jedi knight luigi we all knew you should've gotten the 64gb.