Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

So this is cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That is cool, but the E30 being at such a drastically different angle from the rest really throws off the effect.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
2011 X5 sdrive35i. Gas cap sensor keeps going off. How do I find the part number for a new one so I can get one for the baby mobile?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Check out realoem.com for the part number and then you can order from anywhere.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
So here's a question for people with BMW's with manual transmissions:
How much clutch and what RPM range do you generally start off with? I'm talking for day to day stuff, not hill starts or fast launches.

I'm asking because I've noticed something with the BMWs I've owned that have self adjusting clutches. They seem to work better if I "burn" a little more clutch. Higher RPM, slightly longer slip times seem to improve things. Shifts are smoother, the clutch stays lighter and has more consistent feel. My clutch also has a slight pop or click feel to it, but I can get it to go away if I slip the clutch a bit more or rev higher. I'm talking in the 1500-1800 RPM range.

I was taught to keep revs low (I've been in the 1000-1200 range) and not slip too much, but my shifts go to poo poo after a while. If I wind the car out to red line through a few gears, shifts improve dramatically. This didn't happen with my BMWs with NON self adjusting clutches or in other cars.

Thoughts?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

What pads should I toss on my beater5's cheap new rotors? Not tracking the car or anything, commuting and spirited driving.

Whatever's popular on rockauto.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ColdPie posted:

Whatever's popular on rockauto.

Lots of powerstop kits. i assume these are reasonably decent Chinesium?

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Brock Landers posted:

So here's a question for people with BMW's with manual transmissions:
How much clutch and what RPM range do you generally start off with? I'm talking for day to day stuff, not hill starts or fast launches.

I'm asking because I've noticed something with the BMWs I've owned that have self adjusting clutches. They seem to work better if I "burn" a little more clutch. Higher RPM, slightly longer slip times seem to improve things. Shifts are smoother, the clutch stays lighter and has more consistent feel. My clutch also has a slight pop or click feel to it, but I can get it to go away if I slip the clutch a bit more or rev higher. I'm talking in the 1500-1800 RPM range.

I was taught to keep revs low (I've been in the 1000-1200 range) and not slip too much, but my shifts go to poo poo after a while. If I wind the car out to red line through a few gears, shifts improve dramatically. This didn't happen with my BMWs with NON self adjusting clutches or in other cars.

Thoughts?

I find my e39 to be a bit touchy in starting off in first. A lot of people will drive it and slam the tach to 2k+ while letting it out, because the SAC makes the friction point so far out and the pressure plate itself is so unpredictable. It's been a few months now, so I pull from a stop in first at 1200. One of the hardest cars I've ever had for starting off in first, though, other than an '03 lotus esprit, which had a dual plate clutch.

I deleted the CDV and the clutch is fairly new (<10k miles), just for reference.

Pretty Boy Floyd fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 19, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'd say I typically am in the 1200-1500 range. It's certainly jerky if I don't let the clutch slip for a second or two. My old E34 was smoother in that regard than my current E46, and I've removed the delay valve from my E46. Other than starting in first though, quick clutch releases are clean and smooth.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I believe e39's have a delay valve as well. Not sure how removing it affects clutch take up though.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

PaintVagrant posted:

I believe e39's have a delay valve as well. Not sure how removing it affects clutch take up though.

It makes it miserable

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Higher RPM with slip is easier although I've found low RPM to be fine but you have to get it just right or it will start to lurch. I have done the CDV delete and have an extended clutch-stop-nubbin-thing that makes it much more comfortable for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I find my e39 to be a bit touchy in starting off in first. A lot of people will drive it and slam the tach to 2k+ while letting it out, because the SAC makes the friction point so far out and the pressure plate itself is so unpredictable. It's been a few months now, so I pull from a stop in first at 1200. One of the hardest cars I've ever had for starting off in first, though, other than an '03 lotus esprit, which had a dual plate clutch.

I have an '00 Esprit and it's a million times easier to take off smoothly than my Z4 M (also CDV removed, though that didn't really make much of a difference I've noticed).

Been driving that drat M for like six years and I still dread taking anyone driving in it because I know I stand a more or less equal chance of shifting smooth as butter or causing a learner's-permit shuddering jolt and looking like a colossal pud.

E46 330 is way nicer and more predictable though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Infinotize posted:

an extended clutch-stop-nubbin-thing that makes it much more comfortable for me.

Oh yeah, I forgot I did this, too. It was also quite helpful since it removed some of the really excessive pedal travel toward the bottom, long after the clutch has fully disengaged. Worth the $10 or whatever it was.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I generally dont mind slipping a little clutch to get going, as long as the low end throttle response is nice and linear. My stupid 08' civic has really gutless low end that sort of jumps from idle to 1500 rpm without much actuation between, which makes my normal way of launching either a lurch or a long slip. Its frustrating as hell and ruins what is otherwise a perfectly good commuter appliance. Not sure if its related to drive by wire, or just the engines normal characteristics.

I cant wait to off that loving thing for another daily that I like better. Maybe that e46 330xi I mentioned earlier...

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Infinotize posted:

Higher RPM with slip is easier although I've found low RPM to be fine but you have to get it just right or it will start to lurch. I have done the CDV delete and have an extended clutch-stop-nubbin-thing that makes it much more comfortable for me.
How does the nub make it better, and does anyone other than UUC make it? On my e39, nothing has made the clutch feel better than replacing the (blown) motor mounts with 750il/m5 ones. It is so much less jerky, from a stop I'm under 1k RPM with no issues. Car is still super cush with the 500rpm idle.

PaintVagrant posted:

Sounds awesome. I saw a couple cheap used CAI online for the car, and sinice mine is already a bit...loud...I might as well say gently caress it and add chewbacca intake howling noises on top of it :clint:
I forgot to order an air filter, and I had a spare AEM dryflow sitting around so I just attached it :v:

When I did the motor mounts, the viscous fan had to come off anyways, so that's why I installed the efan.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

mafoose posted:

How does the nub make it better, and does anyone other than UUC make it? On my e39, nothing has made the clutch feel better than replacing the (blown) motor mounts with 750il/m5 ones. It is so much less jerky, from a stop I'm under 1k RPM with no issues. Car is still super cush with the 500rpm idle.

I forgot to order an air filter, and I had a spare AEM dryflow sitting around so I just attached it :v:

When I did the motor mounts, the viscous fan had to come off anyways, so that's why I installed the efan.

You have a partnumber for those motor mounts brolo?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

mafoose posted:

I did the nub the home depot way, there was a DIY on e46fanatics or the zhp forum on how to do it. If I remember right it's just a plastic round thing with a threaded end - think a big plastic button (~2" diameter) with a bolt about 1-2" long on one side. It threads right into where the stock one is (or there is just a perfect hole there). I forget what/where the plastic thing is for but it's some random household gizmo stocked in hardware stores. Then you stick a big furniture slidey pad on it. Costs like $1, mine has been on a few years.

It just reduces the distance you have to push the pedal. The pedal is effectively 100% pushed before it hits the stop, so there is an extra couple inches of travel that are pointless, and for me kinda messed up in my head my idea of when the clutch should be letting out based on my foot pressure. The longer nub removes that slack. Made a noticable difference for me. I also hate long leg travel distance, I'm not short but whenever I get in someone else's car it feels like they have to fully extend their legs to hit the pedals, I am weird and like to sit close and not extend my legs much.

Pre edit: There I found it it's actually like a few dollars maybe http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=206363

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

PaintVagrant posted:

You have a partnumber for those motor mounts brolo?
I'm on my phone, but if you go to bmwfans and look at the m catalog for a 1999 m5 or any e38 750il.

Infinotize posted:

Pre edit: There I found it it's actually like a few dollars maybe http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=206363
Awesome! I'm doing it this weekend. I'm also thinking of removing the delay valve.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
I've read good things about the Valeo single mass flywheel and non-SAC clutch kit. I'll probably install that when this clutch dies. More clutch slip will only make that day come sooner. :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

mafoose posted:

I'm on my phone, but if you go to bmwfans and look at the m catalog for a 1999 m5 or any e38 750il.

Awesome! I'm doing it this weekend. I'm also thinking of removing the delay valve.

Ah ok, cool! Didnt realize it was an oem part. Why go that part over the stock one? Less vibration?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Ah ok, cool! Didnt realize it was an oem part. Why go that part over the stock one? Less vibration?

Opposite reason actually. I hate manual trans cars with gummy motor mounts. They make it feel like a slight delay in power delivery, especially after shifts. These are harder than the stock ones.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I have an '00 Esprit and it's a million times easier to take off smoothly than my Z4 M (also CDV removed, though that didn't really make much of a difference I've noticed).

Been driving that drat M for like six years and I still dread taking anyone driving in it because I know I stand a more or less equal chance of shifting smooth as butter or causing a learner's-permit shuddering jolt and looking like a colossal pud.

E46 330 is way nicer and more predictable though.
My Z4M is the only manual I've ever driven regularly so I don't really have a good frame of reference, but I find it starts from 1st easiest when I bring the revs up to almost 2k and then let it fall down a bit while I blend in the clutch. I guess I don't really know what "slipping" the clutch sounds/feels like, but it doesn't chirp the tires or make any weird noises. And I'm not riding the clutch.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I find it starts from 1st easiest when I bring the revs up to almost 2k and then let it fall down a bit while I blend in the clutch.

This is called riding the clutch.

I learned to minimize clutch use driving cars with 9lb flywheels and 6 puck unsprung clutch disks.

Even in the torqueless wonder that is a Miata, the revs were never higher than 1.5k starting out in first.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mafoose posted:

I learned to minimize clutch use driving cars with 9lb flywheels and 6 puck unsprung clutch disks.

Even in the torqueless wonder that is a Miata, the revs were never higher than 1.5k starting out in first.

1.5k in a Miata is going to lug in a major way. Riding the clutch is the people who have their foot on the clutch pedal just driving down the toad.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
If you have an e39 you owe it to yourself to get the CDV removed and install a shorter shifter like the e60 one.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

mafoose posted:

?

I go from pedal on the floor to pedal released in about a second.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

mafoose posted:

His example is definitely not "riding the clutch"

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

1.5k in a Miata is going to lug in a major way. Riding the clutch is the people who have their foot on the clutch pedal just driving down the toad.
LOL no it won't, torque multiplication in 1st is a wonderful thing. I wish I still had the car so I could record it.

There is no reason to slip the clutch for a full second at 2k. Especially in a z4m with plenty of torque to get going.

Xenoid posted:

If you have an e39 you owe it to yourself to get the CDV removed and install a shorter shifter like the e60 one.
545i shifter is definitely on the wish list, and I'll delete the CDV when I get it.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I have a 09/09 production date 135 and I just found out that if you have the USB/IPOD option (6FL) on a '10 or newer you can basically code your car to have bluetooth and sirius. I bought a generic bluetooth antenna, 6" of SMB female to female cable, and 3 MQS pins. I rerouted the microphone cable for voice control to the MULF2 in the trunk, soldered the 3 MQS pins on and pinned it in the connector, plugged the bluetooth antenna into the MULF2 and coded the car's VO with $644. I reset the ECU and I now have bluetooth for ~$50 of parts. And (worthless) voice control still works, coding the car changes where it expects the microphone to be plugged in.

For sirius it was a bit more expensive as I had to buy a FSC code (I paid $200 for it), but once you have that file it is literally just coding the car. The radio is already a sirius receiver, BMW just disables it in coding so you have to pay $800 for a dealer to turn it on later. And since I was the original owner of the car I got 1 year for free once I called sirius to activate the receiver.

I also got a navigation FSC code when I bought the sirius one, 2015 maps are much better than the 2009 ones.

Overall, ~$250 plus about 2 hours of my time. Totally worth it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone have any experience with Potenza RE760 sports? Seems like a decent summer tire based on reviews and price.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone have any experience with Potenza RE760 sports? Seems like a decent summer tire based on reviews and price.

Noisy and rough compared to ExtremeContact DWs imo

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shogunner posted:

Noisy and rough compared to ExtremeContact DWs imo

More importantly the Potenzas are not Michelin PSS's.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seriously. It's not like there's a shortage of PSS's or anything, is there?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Having used all the tires in this conversation I say this: The Michelins aren't worth it for the extra 300-400 you're gonna shell out for the set... well atleast for 225/40/18 they aren't.

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!

PaintVagrant posted:

I had them on my zhp. I liked them. I felt like they had good traction in the rain too. But for my m5 I'm going to get PSS's.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just get Pilot Sport AS/3s.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

They're a little hard for my taste but last for loving ever. Good for a performance-oriented commuter that isn't going to see any A/X or HPDE.

Source: had them on my e36m3 sedan for like 30k.

Also, update on ducky's 30.
I've had parts sitting here, ready to go, for like 2 months but my rear end in a top hat friend decided to go blow up his s52 head so that took priority. Now that he's out of my long-term project bay, I can start yanking the heart out of this bitch.

:byewhore:

Beauty shot:

While some buddies started getting the one loving solid piece exhaust, god drat you P.O! Off by yanking the headers.

I started yanking stuff off the rear. I am a retard and started undoing the RTAB bolts before realizing the whole kit and kaboodle can come out as one piece.

As well as losing a lot of gasoline, pointlessly.

Little six intake makes for great bourbon drink storage.

Undoing the big bolts

gently caress you, ya heavy bastard!

The liquor had begun to kick by this point so we went back to yanking stubborn exhaust studs.

God. drat. Ebay. Headers.

gently caress it, more bourbon

Where we sit, now.

I'm heading out to try and source an oil pan this morning. If I can do that, on the way back, I'll swing by a friends dad's and borrow his engine hoist so we can get some blood back in her.
When we took the filter out, literally no oil dripped out. :negative:

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 20, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shogunner posted:

Having used all the tires in this conversation I say this: The Michelins aren't worth it for the extra 300-400 you're gonna shell out for the set... well atleast for 225/40/18 they aren't.

I just got a set of four brand new PSS's on my car for $660 mounted and balanced two weeks ago. (225 fronts, 255 rears)

SuperDucky posted:

They're a little hard for my taste but last for loving ever. Good for a performance-oriented commuter that isn't going to see any A/X or HPDE.

The Michelins get pretty ridiculous tread life too. Not as much as Potenza gum balls, but still a really long life for such grippy tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Fed 595 RSRs are the best semi sensible summer tyres kicking around imho. They are good in the wet too, just not with standing water. I'm gonna try the RSRRs next year too for cheap track rubber which look promising.