Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Tired Hands Altar is a bright red holiday inspired berliner brewed with hibiscus, cinnamon, and vanilla beans. You'd look at the list of ingredients and think :barf: but somehow it works and is fantastic. I still can not believe there is no cranberry in it. It tastes like cranberry with just a touch of cinnamon. Fantastic stuff.

Forest & Main Telemachus is the best beer you won't drink this year. It's an english barleywine brewed with orange blossom honey. They did a relatively small unannounced release of 144 bottles and I'm kicking myself for only picking up 6. It's delicate with sweet honey and orange notes and a fantastic floral bouquet.

I wanna drink theeeese. Man, I am a sucker for anything with honey in it. Only 144 bottles... :negative:

Content: I had a spontanpeach from 2013. No drat peach flavor in it. I suppose that's to be expected in December 2014. Still not a bad beer, but I want millions of peaches, peaches for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Troegs Mad Elf continues to be the beer I order when I've already had too much to drink. If I'm thinking "I should probably have a Mad Elf" then I've already made a lot of bad decisions and I'm probably going to have a terrible morning the following day.

i made this mistake a few weekends ago as well

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

cryme posted:

i made this mistake a few weekends ago as well

So did my wife when we went to PA. All was regretted. In better news, my in-laws are opening a store near Tired Hands in April. Go go me visiting and then falling asleep on the floor due to delicious WALEZ

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

the yellow dart posted:

So did my wife when we went to PA. All was regretted. In better news, my in-laws are opening a store near Tired Hands in April. Go go me visiting and then falling asleep on the floor due to delicious WALEZ

Awesome! What kind of store?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

The Oregon Public House, one of my neighborhood pubs, has had a keg of BCBS on for the past 2 nights. It's only half empty.

Granted, it's more of a low traffic, neighborhood sort of a joint, but I still think it's funny.

Edit: Oh, and the pours are 12oz.

There is a hot dog place near me that somehow has BCBS on year round and like, PBR and Honkers as the only other beers they pour. Weird place.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

MunchE posted:

There is a hot dog place near me that somehow has BCBS on year round and like, PBR and Honkers as the only other beers they pour. Weird place.

That's awesome. I want to go there. It's a Chicago hot dog place, yes? Chicago Dog +BCBS sounds like a hell of a combo.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That's awesome. I want to go there. It's a Chicago hot dog place, yes? Chicago Dog +BCBS sounds like a hell of a combo.

Well, it's in California. That's the loving weird part. They don't refer to themselves as "Chicago Style" or anything but TBH I would have no idea what a Chicago Dog would be like. The hot dogs look pretty good though. I should get down there.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

MunchE posted:

Well, it's in California. That's the loving weird part. They don't refer to themselves as "Chicago Style" or anything but TBH I would have no idea what a Chicago Dog would be like. The hot dogs look pretty good though. I should get down there.

Where in California?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Senf posted:

Where in California?

http://www.thehotdogshoppe-corona.com/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://www.thehotdogshoppe-corona.com/the-hot-dog-shoppe-gourmet-hot-dog-menu.htm

Long dog on tiny bun
Unmelted shredded cheese

...are there... Fries.?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

MunchE posted:

A Chicago dog is:

- Vienna beef 100% beef frank is traditional, albeit substitutions are sometimes acceptable.
- Neon green relish is traditional, though some other kind of pickle-type relish is acceptable.
- Yellow mustard
- Tomatoes
- Raw onions
- Pickle spear(s)
- Celery salt
- Optional sport peppers
- Poppy seed bun

Conspicuously absent from the list is ketchup. You don't need it, and some places will chastize you for putting ketchup on a Chicago dog.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

a worthy uhh posted:

http://www.thehotdogshoppe-corona.com/the-hot-dog-shoppe-gourmet-hot-dog-menu.htm

Long dog on tiny bun
Unmelted shredded cheese

...are there... Fries.?

i'm down, but not if they're all-beef franks. some of that menu is loving insane, reminds me of this place near me that serves a 1/4lb dog wrapped in bacon, deep-fried, and piled with cole slaw and pulled pork

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

a worthy uhh posted:

Long dog on tiny bun
Unmelted shredded cheese

...are there... Fries.?

They better be Piled high.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

crazyfish posted:

A Chicago dog is:

- Vienna beef 100% beef frank is traditional, albeit substitutions are sometimes acceptable.
- Neon green relish is traditional, though some other kind of pickle-type relish is acceptable.
- Yellow mustard
- Tomatoes
- Raw onions
- Pickle spear(s)
- Celery salt
- Optional sport peppers
- Poppy seed bun

Conspicuously absent from the list is ketchup. You don't need it, and some places will chastize you for putting ketchup on a Chicago dog.

Everytime I'm in Chicago, I deliberately put ketchup on the hot dog; I relish the opposition.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So much about this makes no sense to me:

quote:

So what causes a freshly opened, unshaken beer bottle to overflow? The main culprit is a protein called hydrophobin which dwells within the drink. Hydrophobins are created by a fungus that infects malt grains during the brewing process, attracting carbon-dioxide molecules within the beverage to the surface. Too many carbon-dioxide molecules at the beer's neck can cause the bottle to bubble over when it's opened, much to breweries' chagrin. This spontaneous foam overflow, called gushing, is a different process than what produces a frothy foam head in a freshly poured glass.

To thwart the hydrophobins, brewers add extra hops into the mix. The hops, in addition to giving beer a bitter taste, act as an antifoaming agent that prevents the proteins from binding with carbon dioxide. But even with extra hops, beer can still erupt like a sudsy volcano. The Belgian scientists decided to try magnets after noticing that magnetic fields can disperse particles and help emulsify mayonnaise. So the team brewed a batch of beer in the Belgian Orval Brewery and after adding in the hops, passed the concoction through a glass tube that had a magnet wrapped around it.

What they found was that when the brew passed through the magnetic field, the hops broke apart and spread throughout the beverage, effectively increasing their surface area. With more surface area, the tiny antifoaming particles bound with more hydrophobins than whole hops could, the team reported in a paper set to appear in the January edition of the Journal of Food Engineering.

After the brew was complete, the team found not only that magnetized beer produced less foam, it only took a minute to achieve the results. The information allowed them to experiment with adding less hops, effectively making the beer less bitter.

Huh? Why the hell would a magnetic field do anything to hop extracts?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Furious Lobster posted:

Everytime I'm in Chicago, I deliberately put ketchup on the hot dog; I relish the opposition.

Pro punning zone.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

My opinion of you is now considerably lower, sir.

While crazyfish is correct about the "Chicago dog" ingredients, the best dogs in the area (and on the planet) do something different. What G&J's does agree with on is the no ketchup thing. I was there with my sister a couple months ago and she was all, "Where can I get some ketchup?" and I was all "LOLOL." I'm pretty sure they kick you out for even asking...

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Anyone that has done The Bruery's Reserve Society: how exactly do the monthly buys work? I'm guessing the beers go up on the website and that everyone is guaranteed a certain allotment if you want it, then at the end of the month they put up what doesn't get bought as free-for-all? Just wondering, for example, if there's the opportunity to get more Mocha Wednesday besides the 2 pre-allocated this year.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Uuudar posted:

Anyone that has done The Bruery's Reserve Society: how exactly do the monthly buys work? I'm guessing the beers go up on the website and that everyone is guaranteed a certain allotment if you want it, then at the end of the month they put up what doesn't get bought as free-for-all? Just wondering, for example, if there's the opportunity to get more Mocha Wednesday besides the 2 pre-allocated this year.

Everything except the free-for-all. The two Mocha Wednesday included still gives you the opportunity to purchase more unless they say otherwise (kind of like how they did Rum BT this year). What they'll do is hold 'second chance' sales to give you the opportunity to buy more at some point.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Everything except the free-for-all. The two Mocha Wednesday included still gives you the opportunity to purchase more unless they say otherwise (kind of like how they did Rum BT this year). What they'll do is hold 'second chance' sales to give you the opportunity to buy more at some point.

So it's more of a "you can buy X of Y beer by Z date?" No bum rushing the website at 2am or whenever they put it up?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Compusaurus posted:

They better be Piled high.

You're already dead.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
I picked up a four pack of Wild Onion BA Drago. No idea if it's good but $15 for something supposedly aged in "Heaven Hill" barrels...well I guess it's worth a try.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
wiener + cheddar cheese + ketchup + toasted potato roll = best hotdog

there was a spot down the street from me growing up that only had mustard, though, and the owner would get surly as poo poo if you tried to get a dog any way other than chili and mustard or mustard only. one of his sons runs the place now and is not as hardcore, but there was some weird family drama about who was supposed to end up with the restaurant and the other son opened up a hotdog stand right across the street

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I just saw a guy with a shirt that had a whale and a beer bottle and it said whalezbro or something. I had no idea that word existed outside this thread and my world is now sideways.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

internet celebrity posted:

I just saw a guy with a shirt that had a whale and a beer bottle and it said whalezbro or something. I had no idea that word existed outside this thread and my world is now sideways.

I think it's more of a general internet beer geek thing since my friend uses it and he only really visits reddit or trolls BA.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Uuudar posted:

So it's more of a "you can buy X of Y beer by Z date?" No bum rushing the website at 2am or whenever they put it up?

Yep, that's what you get for your dollars - they're guaranteed to sell you the allocated amount. You can wait till the last day to buy your Black Tuesday if you want. Typically it's a 3-week window between allocations being put up on the website and them closing purchases. For example, November allocations went out on November 3rd and the last day to purchase them was November 21st. You should get an email with the various beers when they go up (sometimes before they go up, even).

Occasionally there will be some mild weirdness when they release an additional beer for purchase midway through a month (they actually did it this December, with allocations going up on the 1st and then Oaked Old Richland and Geriatric Hipster Club added in on the 15th).

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
Update on Wild Onion BA Drago: It's pretty tasty! Similar flavor profile to BCBS but not nearly as thick and the abv is nearly 5% less. Luckily, it's not CW BBS thin.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

internet celebrity posted:

This shirt? http://store.beeradvocate.com/products/whalez-bro-tee

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

That's it!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

funkybottoms posted:

wiener + cheddar cheese + ketchup + toasted potato roll = best hotdog

there was a spot down the street from me growing up that only had mustard, though, and the owner would get surly as poo poo if you tried to get a dog any way other than chili and mustard or mustard only. one of his sons runs the place now and is not as hardcore, but there was some weird family drama about who was supposed to end up with the restaurant and the other son opened up a hotdog stand right across the street

I think the point is more about the Chicagoheitsgebot of something calling itself a, "Chicago Dog." crazyfish does a good job of spelling it out. That does not mean that other hot dog configurations are not capable of being delicious. If any of you all are in Denver, you should make a point to visit Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs which does a great job of using weird meats and creative toppings to make dogs that are, in my opinion, superior to your in-conformation Chicago dog. However, a good Chicago dog always has a spot in my heart for being hard to mess up and very satisfying. <3 Paradise Pup 5 ever

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

For anyone else willing to risk it after Venus, Bell's Mercury has hit shelves.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

A Chicago dog is:

- Yellow mustard
- Tomatoes
- Raw onions
- Pickle spear(s)
- Celery salt
- Optional sport peppers
- Poppy seed bun

Best hot dog in America. Your pizza, on the other hand...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The best hot dog is a polish sausage with sauerkraut and spicy mustard. Anyone who disagrees is objectively wrong.

Also, Victory Hop Ranch is still pretty awesome.

And Forest & Main Rum Barrel Gmork is one of the best beers I've had this year. Forest & Main is killing it right now with Rum Gmork & Telemachus on tap. If you live nearby you owe yourself a trip out there.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The best hot dog is a polish sausage with sauerkraut and spicy mustard. Anyone who disagrees is objectively wrong.

What kind of Polish?

This is my thing with ketchup on hot dogs: it's okay to do that if you do it on all sausages. So I won't yell at you if you put ketchup on a dog if you would do the same on an Italian I handed you. Or a knockwurst. If you like ketchup on sausage, cool. It's gross. But cool. Otherwise, keep that poo poo off a hot dog.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I got some Upper Hand UPA (pale ale) today because local awesome grocery store had it for $6.99. This is the same place that had Hopslam for $13.49. It's good, not as "hoppy" as I would have expected/hoped, but at the same time it's pretty true to style compared to a lot of supposed regular pale ales that are basically IPAs. On the other hand, I'm not usually a fan of regular pale ales so, accordingly, this one didn't really float my boat. The label advertises Mosaic hops and toasted malts, both are clearly evident in the taste and they work well together. I'm hoping they branch out into some more interesting styles once the brand is more established. The three things they have now are all "sessiony" things aimed at the casual crowd, which is totally fine and probably a smart move, but I don't drink very frequently compared to many beer people so I'm not really the target market. Still, clearly well crafted and kind of original.

Now this Hipster Brunch Stout from Odd Side is fuk*en great. I am SO glad they started making higher gravity stouts because the crazy flavors they work with are a great fit for bigger beers. This one features coffee, maple syrup and bacon (!) aged in bourbon barrels. I don't really taste the bacon, it's more of a slight smoky flavor. I kind of wish that it tasted like there was a strip of bacon in the beer but I'm sure that can't be easy to do without literally putting bacon in your glass. The barrel is nice and robust, the coffee and maple syrup just go great together, I dunno. It's on the level of KBS and similar high-end BA stouts, for my money ($5 a bottle). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to Beer Advocate and claim that this blows Kentucky Brunch out of the water even though I haven't tasted it.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Forest & Main Telemachus is the best beer you won't drink this year. It's an english barleywine brewed with orange blossom honey. They did a relatively small unannounced release of 144 bottles and I'm kicking myself for only picking up 6. It's delicate with sweet honey and orange notes and a fantastic floral bouquet.

I would like to share the fun fact that the growler of DogCat (incredible pale ale) you sent me from there, despite being rinsed multiple times and also washed with soap and water, still smells very strongly of hops something like a month+ later. It's pretty amazing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

danbanana posted:

What kind of Polish?

Not kielbasa. Either Polish frankfurter or a grilling sausage. Thicker than a normal hot dog with more spice, but not overly spiced. There are a lot of German sausages which also fit the bill. Most American hot dogs are garbage. You have to find a good butcher.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Why isn't the beer world going nuts over Avery BBA Tweak? Because that poo poo is loving AMAZING.

E: also, hotdogs should be topped with chili, slaw, onions & mustard on a grilled bun. gently caress yeah.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Let's Talk Beer 3: Hot Dog Opinions ITT

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MunchE posted:

I was checking out untappd recently and I saw that BCBS had a whopping 22k checkins in the last month. If that doesn't cement how not-rare it is, it was less than 1000 checkins behind Sierra Nevada Celebration.

So how long until every dickhead is lining up outside of the liquor stores for the big Celebration release? We're almost there, right?

I literally haven't seen BCBS in CO but I also haven't been looking very hard. Not sure if we just didn't get very much again (we got one small shipment last year but I worked to chase it down. This year I just idly looked for it if I was out shopping) or if it sold out in 1 day due to extreme hype or what.

Like mrcowcow, I just kind of shrug and enjoy our dozens of awesome but non-hyped breweries :shrug:

Edit as I catch up on the thread: Eejit's recommendation of Biker Jim's in Denver is pro. Good-rear end dogs.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
A buddy dropped off a "schwag pack" when he came over the other night and one of the remaining beers was Round Barn Brewing's Hi-Tech Redneck. That place is near a winery in southwest Michigan that my fiance and her family love. But I've never had anything from them until now.

It's their Kentucky Common. The only one of those I've had is Local Option's and I don't think they've released the non-barrel aged one one in years.

I honestly don't understand why this style hasn't blown up. It's essentially a milder oud bruin: very mild lacto tartness, darker malts. A winter sour.

I have no idea how good Round Barn is in general, but this is really nice and I would likely try this style from any brewery that puts one out ala goses and berliners.