Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ofaloaf posted:

Franklin noooo

afterend_decisions is the file you want to go for, regarding your question there. In the first decision, there's this bit:
code:
		potential = {
			is_ruler = yes
			religion = americanist
			age = 16
			prisoner = no
			capable_only = yes
			NOT = { trait = pilgrim }
			NOT = { trait = on_pilgrimage }
			NOT = { has_character_flag = failed_pilgrim }
		}
Change the "religion = americanist" line to
code:
			OR = {
				religion = americanist
				religion = jeffersonian
			}
and that'll get it working. It'll still be a little wonky, though, since the pilgrimage site events check to see if they're controlled specifically by Americanists, rather than Americanists and Americanists heresies, so if the site's controlled by a Jeffersonian that'll play out as if you're asking an infidel lord for permission to visit, I think.

Cool and thanks! And insofar as the event firing as if the holder is an infidel lord, I'll just explain that away in my head as Jeffersonian being really tribal or something about their local religious icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hm. I've noticed that using my spymaster to try to get other people to join my factions doesn't really seem to work. At least, I've started a faction to install myself on the Byzantine throne, and successfully gotten the spymaster event to coerce them to join my faction...but they don't actually join.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

A short AAR from my attempt at playing King Solomon:

Best DLC!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Best DLC!

:eyepop:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

nutranurse posted:

Best DLC!

They could charge $100 for Way of Life II and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a TL;DR on what Way of Life brings to CK2? Haven't been following CK2 for the past few months and was surprised to see a new expansion so soon after Charlemagne.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

alcaras posted:

Is there a TL;DR on what Way of Life brings to CK2? Haven't been following CK2 for the past few months and was surprised to see a new expansion so soon after Charlemagne.

Events lots of events.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

alcaras posted:

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

I guess this explains why my son asked permission to duel his brother over the fact that they were both loving my daughter then.

This pretty much sums up Way of Life, and why you probably want it, unless you hate fun or something.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The best thing about Way of Life is that it enables you to create wacky scenarios. For instance: so far I'm up to 20 lovers and King Solomon has 23 kids. I'm an Ethiopian Karaite Jewish King of a ruler-created kingdom and running Enatic-Cognatic Tanitsry because why not--it lets me pick my good male sons as heirs anyway and my awesome daughters can be councilors/marshals! So since I ruler-created a demi-god I've got a bunch of little child demi-demi-gods running around (with the odd demi-god among them).

Granted, come death they'll all get strong claims to the kingdom and since every title in the kingdom is also enatic-cognatic tanitsry it's gonna be a total clusterfuck.]

This is how CK2 was meant to be played, guys.

e: A tourney he held just helped King Solomon confront his latent homosexual desires, partly explaining his view on hetro-sex as it being an empty pursuit. Talk about your emergent narrative!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 19, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

This pretty much sums up Way of Life, and why you probably want it, unless you hate fun or something.

I bought it before I remembered I'm playing 2.1.6 still, so I can't use it. I may have to give up my precious Assassinate button after my current game.

In said game, I am the grandson of Haesteinn and I am loving awesome at war. The good news: I got cucked by Satan. The bad news: it was a girl. So, I've married her off to the King of West Francia - losing only two of my less promising kids, and not my genius son or my heir (currently my very talented half-brother) - and am now waiting to see what happens. Either West Francia is going to fly apart and I'll pick up the pieces, or my Zealous Crusader is going to go toe to toe with the Antichrist. Exciting stuff, and I wouldn't give it up to screw every noblewoman in Europe.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

For the guy asking about how to make money as a newly reformed tribal, the key is churches and cities. Crank the taxes up to maximum, levies at minimum, and use them for what they are: the economic engine of your country. Your castles provide much more, and higher quality soldiers than the other types.

Pre-reform, you want to conquer as many regular counties as possible, so you can actually make some money. Your old land will be pretty worthless until you can start getting cities in there, as you've found out.

Also, don't be afraid of holding temples and cities in your personal desmesne. You get an efficiency penalty to those specific places, but you still probably make more money and get more dudes than you would from a vassal, and there isn't an opinion penalty for holding them.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Jedit posted:

I bought it before I remembered I'm playing 2.1.6 still, so I can't use it. I may have to give up my precious Assassinate button after my current game.

Now you can just seduce every high intrigue character in other rulers' courts until you have a continent spanning cadre of assassin gently caress buddies, which I feel is somewhat superior to the assassinate button. Someone mentioned in the thread earlier that this doesn't really work, but I'm sure it anything is possible with enough effort.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I haven't played CK2 for a couple of months. Decided to check the thread and now I'm buying stupid new DLC to play the stupid game again.

If Charlemagne worth price on Steam? Or should I wait until its on sale?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The 769 start date is the best and I haven't played at any other one since CM came out.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

I haven't played CK2 for a couple of months. Decided to check the thread and now I'm buying stupid new DLC to play the stupid game again.

If Charlemagne worth price on Steam? Or should I wait until its on sale?

CM is really nice for the bookmark. I highly suggest playing as Charlemagne your first time with it!

Way of Life is easily the most must-buy DLC there is.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Volkerball posted:

The 769 start date is the best and I haven't played at any other one since CM came out.

:agreed:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The 769 bookmark is a lot better now that the Abbasids aren't unstoppable, and even the Umayyads seem to be restrained to some degree.

nutranurse posted:

Best DLC!

This has inspired me to play an Abyssinia game where I seduce every Christian ruler and see how Ethiopian I can make Europe without venturing from Africa.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SeaTard posted:

For the guy asking about how to make money as a newly reformed tribal, the key is churches and cities. Crank the taxes up to maximum, levies at minimum, and use them for what they are: the economic engine of your country. Your castles provide much more, and higher quality soldiers than the other types.

Pre-reform, you want to conquer as many regular counties as possible, so you can actually make some money. Your old land will be pretty worthless until you can start getting cities in there, as you've found out.

Also, don't be afraid of holding temples and cities in your personal desmesne. You get an efficiency penalty to those specific places, but you still probably make more money and get more dudes than you would from a vassal, and there isn't an opinion penalty for holding them.
Thank you. For purposes of the law, do Chieftains under a Feudal King count as providing 'feudal levies'? They're the ones who are the most pissed at me right now, so I figure I should ease their burden first.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

This has inspired me to play an Abyssinia game where I seduce every Christian ruler and see how Ethiopian I can make Europe without venturing from Africa.

You'll be limited by distance and religion now. You should be able to turn a fair portion of the byzantine world black, though!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm seriously annoyed that there's no legitimate way to create an Indian Ocean merchant republic in Ironman. The entire Abyssinian coast is non-tribal.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm seriously annoyed that there's no legitimate way to create an Indian Ocean merchant republic in Ironman. The entire Abyssinian coast is non-tribal.

Can't you start in-land and work your way out to the coast via conquests?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jedit posted:

It's time yet again for that public service announcement: You can get your Assassinate button back by changing one single character in defines.lua!

(Ironman tho?)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Double aw. The rosebush baby doesn't even seem to work quite right - it didn't have parents set at all until I chose to adopt it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Wait so in order to convert to Feudalism, I need to Reform my Germanic faith, which requires 3 of 5 holy sites that are flung far and wide. It doesn't seem feasible to do this anytime soon--is there a way around this? I'd really rather not have to conquer my way through Sweden and northern Germany.
edit: also where the h*ck is the assassinate button

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Can't you start in-land and work your way out to the coast via conquests?

You'd have to change your capital county to one on the coast once you'd conquered enough, and all those holdings are feudal.

Sharzak posted:

Wait so in order to convert to Feudalism, I need to Reform my Germanic faith, which requires 3 of 5 holy sites that are flung far and wide. It doesn't seem feasible to do this anytime soon--is there a way around this? I'd really rather not have to conquer my way through Sweden and northern Germany.

I consoled them to myself, reformed, then granted those counties their independence where they immediately fell back to France and Saxony.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

It's a shame that the Antipope named Hilarius declined my carousing invitation.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nobody Interesting posted:

It's a shame that the Antipope named Hilarius declined my carousing invitation.

If you'd pulled that off, it would've been absolutely humorous.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is Charlemagne worth getting? $17 feels a little pricey and I doubt a sale will bring it down by much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The consensus is yes, though I don't think it's gone on sale yet (still too new).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sharzak posted:

Northern Germany is apparently a total bitch, because when you take Koln, it triggers the Crusades. I managed it by taking Frisia, then subjugating Sigurthr Snake-in-the-Eye. Then I wound up with this:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 19, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How come I can never negotiate with Decadent members of my dynasty? It says I've already negotiated with them once but it isn't true?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

How come I can never negotiate with Decadent members of my dynasty? It says I've already negotiated with them once but it isn't true?

anyone in your dynasty can try - gotta be quick or some un-Learned idiot will try and fail.

on the plus side, any failure gives you a tyranny-free imprison and execute.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

nutranurse posted:

You'll be limited by distance and religion now. You should be able to turn a fair portion of the byzantine world black, though!

As Miaphysites you can still marry catholics/orthodox since they're all Christian. For the distance problem, I'm sure I can grab Sardinia or something in Italy so I can reach the far corners of the continent.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a keyboard shortcut mod that works with 2.3 anywhere? The one I downloaded from one of Aruba's video descriptions is causing a crash every time I try to start a game.

Speaking of which, is there a list somewhere that isn't really outdated of useful/recommended mods? Preferably just some usability ones that don't disable achievements.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

As Miaphysites you can still marry catholics/orthodox since they're all Christian. For the distance problem, I'm sure I can grab Sardinia or something in Italy so I can reach the far corners of the continent.

Hahaha, I just realized how similar this strategy is to the typical EU 'colonization' strategy where you grab some out-there islands in order to slingshot your backwoods nation into the places that matter.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How exactly does passing on traits like genius, quick, etc. work? If two genius parents have a kid who doesn't inherit the genius trait, will that kid's children be more likely to have it or am I basically restarting from zero? Is my Bene Gesserit breeding program going to eventually result in a race of Irish supermen?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I just purchased CM and I am really confused on how Tribes work. The wiki doesn't really provide any answers and the tutorial thread seems to have died off, so I thought it best to ask here.

1. Can a tribal ruler war against another tribal ruler if both are vassals of the same liege (assuming laws allow it)? For example, in the CM bookmark Kazaria has several tribes who are vassals of the same liege. I'd like to play as one and conquer my neighbors before overthrowing the liege, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

2. Do tribes follow the same rules as feudal leaders in the sense that a ruler cannot vassalize someone of his/her own rank? As a "count" level tribal ruler, I can't vassalize other counts? I'd have to be a level higher, correct?

3. Say I manage to convert to feudalism but I have several vassals who are still tribes. I know that each tribal holding needs to have the highest level fort, which I can build for them. But if I build their fort up, can I force them to convert to feudalism or do I wait for the AI ruler to do so?

And finally, a non-tribe question. I started a Zoro game at the CM bookmark. I chose Vandad Karen, who is a count vassal of a Sunni duke, who in turn is a vassal of the Abbasid Caliph. For some reason, I could not form an independence faction against the duke, although I did have an Independence CB. I haven't played this game in several months so I probably forgot the rules on that, but why is it that I can't form an independence faction? I did have the option of forming a faction to change the inheritance law, just not for independence.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh wow, I was trying to find out why I can't marry anyone and it turns out I inherited the Bektashi order. I think it might have been when I pushed my uncle's claim on the Caliphate. So, uh this is bad right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Spakstik posted:

How exactly does passing on traits like genius, quick, etc. work? If two genius parents have a kid who doesn't inherit the genius trait, will that kid's children be more likely to have it or am I basically restarting from zero? Is my Bene Gesserit breeding program going to eventually result in a race of Irish supermen?

If one parent has a genetic trait the child gets a 15% chance of inheritance at birth. If both parents have the same trait, it's 30% to inherit. Otherwise it's a teensy-tiny random chance of getting any genetic trait(s) (this is true over and above any inherited traits; two Genius parents might produce a child both Genius and Harelip or whatever).

That's it. Parents are the only people considered, there are no latent genes.

In theory if you have one Genius parent and one Quick parent the child should have a 15% shot at both (so a 30% shot at getting one or the other) but for whatever reason, probably a longstanding bug, it doesn't work out that way and the two seem to cancel each other out. You're more likely to pass Genius on marrying a normal than a Quick. (Intelligence/Strong/Attractive are all separate, can all be on the same character at once and interact normally. It's just the traits that can't be combined, Genius/Quick and Imbecile/Slow, that exhibit this behavior.)

You want to marry a Quick/Genius/Strong if you can, but it's not a huge consideration and you won't ever breed a superrace.

Also I will go to my grave fervently believing that there's something somewhere in the code that makes Geniuses far more likely to die young for no good reason, presumably as a way of keeping any budding eugenics programs in check. I've played 600+ hours of this game and I'm telling you, Geniuses die. A lot. Even by medieval standards.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Oh wow, I was trying to find out why I can't marry anyone and it turns out I inherited the Bektashi order. I think it might have been when I pushed my uncle's claim on the Caliphate. So, uh this is bad right?

It's obviously not good that you can't marry but now you have a golden opportunity to make that order your vassal, assuming you have a king-level title at least. Just award the duke-level holy order title, it functions like any other title in that regard, to some random count vassal of yours and bam, vassal holy order.

• Locked thread