Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Echoing the sentiments that this game is like something I dreamed about playing years ago. It rules. I'm having a really annoying bug though. I'm using a 360 controller and for some reason every once in awhile when I take off my ship decides to deploy hardpoints and start blasting away resulting in my immediate murder. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

InterFaced posted:

Echoing the sentiments that this game is like something I dreamed about playing years ago. It rules. I'm having a really annoying bug though. I'm using a 360 controller and for some reason every once in awhile when I take off my ship decides to deploy hardpoints and start blasting away resulting in my immediate murder. :(

Is the same button used for firing weapons as confirming menu option?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

InterFaced posted:

Guessing blindly, I had a case with a console game where every once in a while one of the analog-sticks would interpret movement as another button. It only happens really rarely, mostly in cases when it can gently caress me over badly.

I would suggest looking into what buttons are bound to deploying hardpoints and firing, first. Maybe something is weird there. Does this only happen with the controller, or can you avoid the bug when using a joystick?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I really am enjoying this game, it's like the game I always wanted.

One thing is seriously starting to piss me off though. When I am hunting bounties at an Extraction Site or Nav Beacon after a little while some chucklefuck NPC who scans clean starts trying to take me out. I can't fight back because I get dinged with assault charges. What the gently caress is up with that? I don't have a bounty on me from anywhere that I can see and they started it so why can't I fight back? My options are to jump out or try to lose him if there is an asteroid field to duck into. :mad:

Sometimes it's the local security service too and I don't have a bounty!

When you attack a dude, his friends get mad and attack back. You should check the Contacts page on guys you scan to see who they're with. Also, don't accidentally hit a cop. It's easy to do without realizing it, and is probably why they got mad at you.

Also, make absolutely sure a guy is Wanted before you hit him with lasers.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Libluini posted:

Guessing blindly, I had a case with a console game where every once in a while one of the analog-sticks would interpret movement as another button. It only happens really rarely, mostly in cases when it can gently caress me over badly.

I would suggest looking into what buttons are bound to deploying hardpoints and firing, first. Maybe something is weird there. Does this only happen with the controller, or can you avoid the bug when using a joystick?

It only happens with my 360 controller. I really like how the game plays with it, even though I have an old (but good) saitek joystick laying around too. Another strange thing is it only seems to happen after downloading a patch. Restarting everything and unplugging-replugging the controller seems to fix it. I'm using the default "Advanced Control Pad" setup and as far as I can tell it happens when I retract my landing gear. There are different button combos to deploy hardpoints and fire guns and I'm not pushing either of em.

At least at the moment my rebuy cost is cheap. :v:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

InterFaced posted:

I got that one once, it was my mouse button which was stuck (and no i even don't play with the mouse). Fixed it by making sure ONLY the stick buttons were used for FIRE1 and FIRE2.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Okay I know they're rare and I am okay with rare, but has anybody actually seen a variant weapon since 1.0? the overcharged/focused/low heat weapons. I can't work out if I'm just unlucky or if they forgot to put them back in the game because let's face it it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

Stanko-Prussian fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 19, 2014

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Well a server blew up somewhere. I'm 45 LYs from civilsation after a 2200LY trip, and after about 8 tries and getting TRANSACTION ERROR when I jump to a system. I guess I'll give it a rest for a bit.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Unzip and Attack posted:

That's because he's making it up. Rares spawned at the rate of a few per hour, making a full cargo hold (100 or so) take several hours to fill up, after which selling them would net about 1.5 mil. I found that they spawn at a rate of about 5 per 15 minutes, meaning 20 per hour. At 15k profit per unit, anyone not making poo poo up can do the math and realize that isn't 6 million per hour. Notice how his numbers keep changing to seem less ridiculous, but they still are. He's the thread's worst poster.
1) 20M an hour was EASY pre the first rares nerf

2) 4-6M an hour was pretty easy till today. I was doing this last night you idgit.

Hit lave, get 5-7 brandy, go to Diso, get 5-10 corn, go to leesti, get 5 milk and 3 w/e the other thing was, go to Zaonce, get one or two eggs, go to Orrerian, get 6-10 brew. That's 25-40 rares and it took less than 15 mins. Do it again, did you know that (till today) you get slightly more on your second allocation in a session? Now you have 80 and didn't buy 2 or 3 of the last thing. 30 mins tops.

Now you can go somewhere you want faction and sell this for 1.8-2.2M depending on distance or you can go to Zeessze and do the same trick with Zeessze/Pantaa/Altair/Indi (or another rares cluster) and haul rear end back to lave for 1.2M to 1.8M depending on allocations. Total time 55-65 mins. If you got really lucky you could break 5 easily, and if you built up a full load at your starter station over the day you could average 6M an hour across a couple of hours of hauling each night w/o a problem.

You really need to get the chip off your shoulder because it has your mouth saying dumb things.

hell, i'm testing some of these and the allocations are at least into the teens. There's still plenty of money to be made here, just not by filling 80 cargo slots

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 19, 2014

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

So stations will let you in to pay off a fine, but start shooting at you after scanning and realizing the fine is from their faction?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I'm a little miffed about the rares change because now I can't pick the rares up, shoot some bounties, go back to the station to collect the bounties, pick up some more rares, do it again until I have enough to warrant a trip out to sell them. I was enjoying myself and the risk was me dying with so much $$$ cargo, but oh well.

I was doing the same, and it was a good balance. On the one hand, I got to shoot things. On the other, I could eventually make a 160Ly trip to make 1.5 million occasionally, and then go back to bounty hunting. Now it's just pointless for me, unless I'm already in a system that sells the rares, and am already traveling to a system far enough away that carting them there just makes sense.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Okay I know they're rare and I am okay with rare, but has anybody actually seen a variant weapon since 1.0? the overcharged/focused/low heat weapons. I can't work out if I'm just unlucky or if they forgot to put them back in the game because let's face it it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

I still have my overcharged MCs I bought in Gamma 1 but I havent seen any other variants since.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

grilldos posted:

When you attack a dude, his friends get mad and attack back. You should check the Contacts page on guys you scan to see who they're with. Also, don't accidentally hit a cop. It's easy to do without realizing it, and is probably why they got mad at you.

Also, make absolutely sure a guy is Wanted before you hit him with lasers.

What about when the cops start attacking me for no reason? It just happened again and I have no bounty on me, I'm not wanted and I didn't touch anyone who wasn't wanted.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
They seemed to be particularly energy inefficient but I just loved the style of Focused Burst lasers during the beta phases.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this game, it makes the eve star map look puny

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Last night I set up FreePIE and vJoy to create a virtual 6-axis joystick from my Razer Hydra, giving me 6DOF control with one hand.

I was piloting like the drunkest CMDR in the galaxy, and that's with flight assist on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Haha the nerf isn't even much of a nerf to rare goods. I bought as much as was available, then logged off in port for a while to have dinner and play a quick couple rounds in another game. I hop back in, and I can buy rare goods again to fill my hold. :iiam:

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Six hours now, no bounties able to be collected. :(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ethanol posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this game, it makes the eve star map look puny

They should have sent a poet. :dominic:

I take it there are filters that reduce how insanely crowded the galaxy map can get?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Haha the nerf isn't even much of a nerf to rare goods. I bought as much as was available, then logged off in port for a while to have dinner and play a quick couple rounds in another game. I hop back in, and I can buy rare goods again to fill my hold. :iiam:

Yea so far I've had one station go to 'no mention of further supply' for its rare but the rest are still re-filling availability as I hit them, and saying "0 High" when I buy it out.

Edit: nope looks like 2 loops is the max.

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 19, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
4x Gimballed Pulse
2x Gimballed Cannon

Found my loadout for murder Asp :getin:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Space.com posted:

[NASA's Kepler space telescope] has spotted its first new alien planet since being hobbled by a malfunction in May 2013, researchers announced today (Dec. 18). The newly discovered world, called HIP 116454b, is a "super Earth" about 2.5 times larger than our home planet. It lies 180 light-years from Earth, in the constellation Pisces — close enough to be studied by other instruments, scientists said.
[...]
HIP 116454b is about 20,000 miles (32,000 kilometers) wide and is 12 times more massive than Earth, scientists said. The planet's density suggests that it is either a water world or a "mini Neptune" with a large, thick atmosphere.

HIP 116454b lies just 8.4 million miles (13.5 million km) from its host star, an "orange dwarf" slightly smaller and cooler than the sun, and completes one orbit every 9.1 days. The close-orbiting planet is too hot to host life as we know it, researchers said.
If the computer model of this system isn't accurate, CHARGEBACK :argh:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Lima posted:

You can use the compass as a lowtech docking indicator as it points to the center of the pad once you're inside a station.

How have I never noticed this? This makes things a lot easier!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

4x Gimballed Pulse
2x Gimballed Cannon

Found my loadout for murder Asp :getin:

I tried cannons and absolutely hated them. I could never hit anything. Do you just bump into the target then pull the trigger or something?

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Gimbaled cannons are amazing, stick your nose on the lead indicator and hold the trigger down. They're a bit better close up but it's not super necessary.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

FronzelNeekburm posted:

If the computer model of this system isn't accurate, CHARGEBACK :argh:

The system is already inhabited in game, and it looks like there is an Earth-like with a station around it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I tried cannons and absolutely hated them. I could never hit anything. Do you just bump into the target then pull the trigger or something?

I use them exclusively to punch out the power core of larger targets. But yeah I generally have better luck hitting them up close.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
After seeing all these pro-tier sneaky entries into ports to evade scans, I worried it might be really hard. It turns out just using the tiniest bit of flight assist-off mode to star your approach, and then switching to assist on combined with silent running makes it stupid easy, so far, to get into a station without a scan taking place.

edit: it's still such a goofy system compared to smuggling compartments or scan-shields and poo poo from other games.

"Well, he did set up on line with the port entry from 8 km out, then started barreling toward it all twitchy like, then went into stealth mode, called up the tower and asked if he could land, screamed through the entry and resumed control, dumped like 10,000,000 BTU into the docking area before landing and selling his goods and paying off his bounties!. Seems like a proper chap, nothing to see here!"

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 19, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

After seeing all these pro-tier sneaky entries into ports to evade scans, I worried it might be really hard. It turns out just using the tiniest bit of flight assist-off mode to star your approach, and then switching to assist on combined with silent running makes it stupid easy, so far, to get into a station without a scan taking place.

edit: it's still such a goofy system compared to smuggling compartments or scan-shields and poo poo from other games.

"Well, he did set up on line with the port entry from 8 km out, then started barreling toward it all twitchy like, then went into stealth mode, called up the tower and asked if he could land, screamed through the entry and resumed control, dumped like 10,000,000 BTU into the docking area before landing and selling his goods and paying off his bounties!. Seems like a proper chap, nothing to see here!"

I'm convinced there is nobody in those flight control towers and they are there just for tradition. The only inspection staff are the security ships, and the overworked IT guys trying to keep the automated dock permission and turret system from going full skynet between discussing if they should throw away another source of station income in the name of procedural generation by cutting fuel or repair services.

EDIT: vvv You can't transport ships. Like many other things, that will be implemented sometime maybe.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Smuggler's vehicle of choice for a long time, Cigarette boats are intended to outrun the coast guard.

Couple of newbie questions; Is there an easy way to find out which fitting docks have which things? Likewise the available ships.

If I've found myself with a couple of ships, how do I transport them?

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well I figured until get more money for a trading ship to make the big bucks I'd shoot people in my Eagle for space bucks. So far its pretty easy money, 30k in less then 20min from a few Cobras. I found two gangs dukeing it out in a mining location so I decided to try my luck and see if my plucky stock Eagle with 3 cannons could take down an Anaconda with an 80k bounty.

Nope. Nope nope nope. Or at least with me at the helm. I got him into hull but his gimabled lasers can track me almost anywhere. I managed to escape with 29% hull. Less learned, stick to destroying cobra's for 10k a pop.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

NuckmasterJ posted:

Well I figured until get more money for a trading ship to make the big bucks I'd shoot people in my Eagle for space bucks. So far its pretty easy money, 30k in less then 20min from a few Cobras. I found two gangs dukeing it out in a mining location so I decided to try my luck and see if my plucky stock Eagle with 3 cannons could take down an Anaconda with an 80k bounty.

Nope. Nope nope nope. Or at least with me at the helm. I got him into hull but his gimabled lasers can track me almost anywhere. I managed to escape with 29% hull. Less learned, stick to destroying cobra's for 10k a pop.

Pack some shield cells and target the shield generator, then the power plant.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
So stoked! Hunting wanted ships in a Nav Beacon, getting puny 2-3k Sidewinders. Still fun to shoot, but waiting for a whale to show up. After a bit, the Fed Security Service starts shooting at me. Not much, but enough for my shields to notice it. After a little bit of this, I find a Imperial Clipper had jumped in, I line it up between me and the Fed eagle thats peppering me, and now its on! Fed's are all ganging up on the Clipper. Call in my buddy to watch the light show with me, and pop the occasional Sidewinder with a bounty. Eventually, Feds call in an Anaconda, and then its shields start to drop occasionally. Its hull starts getting whittled down, and I just watch it pop Fed ship after Fed ship as its own bounty grows, and by the time it got to 98k (which is over double the cash I have in the bank) it was down to 4% hull. Dump everything into weapons and I join in. I get the kill on the Clipper! Excited because this means I can afford that Adder now, and trick it out, but as I'm jumping out and running to the nearest station, I notice its not on my transactions tab. And I'm instantly saddened. Oh well, with the other bounties that actually counted, I'm very close to buying the Adder anyway. Plus I got to watch a neat lightshow.

Should change my name to Killstealer.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
I don't want to sound bitter about mining, but, I spent about 2 hours mining and made roughly 4k credits...in a decent belt. I switched back to an Eagle and made 25k credits blowing up a Viper within 5 minutes of arriving at the Jotunheim nav beacon. After 20 minutes I headed back to BHMH since I inadvertently tagged a fed, thus becoming wanted, and fired upon by everyone, and collected 40k in bounties. They really need to add a tractor beam, or mining drones.

On a similar note, I started bounty hunting at resource extraction sites, and found that dog fighting in an asteroid field is loving awesome.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

Pack some shield cells and target the shield generator, then the power plant.

Interesting... So shield cells require a launcher to go into the Utility slot? I have yet to see one for sale in my beck of the woods.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

NuckmasterJ posted:

Interesting... So shield cells require a launcher to go into the Utility slot? I have yet to see one for sale in my beck of the woods.

No, they're packed into your internal component slots. You can assign them to a fire group, or even better set up a bind specifically for firing off shield cells. Any time you see your shields getting low, just hit that bind and whoops you're back at 100% again. They make punching above your weight class considerably easier.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ethanol posted:

space madness!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Remote User posted:

I don't want to sound bitter about mining, but, I spent about 2 hours mining and made roughly 4k credits

I did my first bit of mining in a sidewinder with 4 tons of cargo and made like 30k in 30 minutes. Only ended up leaving with 1t of silver and 2t of palladium, but the palladium alone was ~16k/u.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

No, they're packed into your internal component slots. You can assign them to a fire group, or even better set up a bind specifically for firing off shield cells. Any time you see your shields getting low, just hit that bind and whoops you're back at 100% again. They make punching above your weight class considerably easier.

Oh, thats strange then. I have not seen one before. I guess its more of a high tech system item? I'm not sure where a system like that is down near Kremainn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I demand wizard paint jobs for the Hauler and the Adder.

• Locked thread