Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

seriously what the gently caress harper. canada used to have some of the world's best nuclear scientists, aerospace engineers, roboticists, and other high tech industry. all those scottish immigrants don't ya know (scots have always been the world's best engineers). thanks a lot for defunding basic research in favor of ripping poo poo out of the ground you huge rear end in a top hat

harper is a cancer and should be treated as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mido posted:

*skips maintenance because lol money, turbine spins itself out of control during a heavy wind and the brakes fail, turbine explodes into pieces from sheer force*

*designs lovely maintenance shafts, workers trying to maintain it burn to death after calling their loved ones on a cell because there's no escape*

still a better option than anything else we got besides solar maybe

hydroelectric kicks a lotta butt too but loving with damns basically reams any wildlife or cities or water rights situations going on so lol good luck with that

I don't actually know anything though so whatever

oh god it's spilling wind everywhere :gonk:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pinterest Mom posted:

Carly Fiorina is laying the groundwork for what one ally says is an "imminent" presidential campaign—one that could launch as early as next month.

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO, who raised her political profile with a failed run against Sen. Barbara Boxer of California in 2010, has frequently been mentioned as a long-shot contender to seek the Republican presidential nomination. The speculation is driven by equal parts novelty and activity: Fiorina, who paid several high-profile visits to early-nominating states in 2014, acknowledged that she would likely be the only woman in the GOP field.

"Look, I think it would be great if we had female candidates—or candidate," Fiorina told National Journal earlier this year.

Fiorina is now poised to become that candidate. According to three sources with direct knowledge of the situation, she has authorized members of her inner circle to seek out and interview candidates for two key positions on her presidential campaign: political director and communications director. Notably, the sources said, her associates are aiming to fill both positions with women.

hahahahahahhahHahahahahahaha

holy hell who besides c fiorina wants c fiorina to run?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

everyone who wants to see more completely transparent and insane political ads that run for 20 minutes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is carly "spent more money than all other candidates combined and got 0.1% of the vote or something" fiorina right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the tidal stuff seems really cool
ignoring environmental impact, the notion of just getting free juice from 100 square km of water rising and falling is p neat

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

ignoring environmental impact, the notion of just getting free juice from 100 square km of water rising and falling is p neat

harvesting the power of the moon is pretty badass tbh

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

this is carly "spent more money than all other candidates combined and got 0.1% of the vote or something" fiorina right?

carly "the market valued me at negative ten billion dollars" fiorina

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mentioned that carly was going into politics to my boss, a ten year veteran of hp during the 80s/90s. I thought he was going to die laughing

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
who would be compaq to america? can she buy russia?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

canada

we can also spin off Quebec at the same time

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Elder Postsman posted:

ahahaha

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Elder Postsman posted:

"well yeah but it's a signed 32 bit int so we're actually worth positive 1.4 billion once you do the math"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If she was in charge of canada then she'd spin off quebec and then destroy all the oil fields and introduce sharia law

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

"well yeah but it's a signed 32 bit int so we're actually worth positive 1.4 billion once you do the math"

this literally makes more sense than carly fiorina running for president

Jonny 290 posted:

it's a cool concept but the engineering is a huge problem. the sea is a colossal bitch that none-too-slowly destroys whatever we put into it.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Wild EEPROM posted:

If she was in charge of canada then she'd spin off quebec and then destroy all the oil fields and introduce sharia law

id vote for this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Elder Postsman posted:

this never gets old

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the sea is a colossal bitch that none-too-slowly destroys whatever we put into it.

as a professional mariner I'd like to clarify and expand on the above.

what he said, except way worst.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

you're quite the dish!

thx op

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i thought chernobyl was a candu reactor and that was some old-rear end poo poo we don't use anymore

guess i'd better hit up the fishmech wikipedia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr Dog posted:

i thought chernobyl was a candu reactor and that was some old-rear end poo poo we don't use anymore

lol

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

i loving love CANDU's so much

gently caress you if you dont love nuclear power

fuckin' ace.

i hope you like SNC Lavalin too, because they own the CANDU design now. yes, we loving gave it to them.

also, i vaguely know one of the lead engineers from the original CANDU project.

several years ago my boss at the time managed to destroy the digital manuscript for his memoirs, i was tasked with recovering it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah chernobyl was a light-water reactor. it's not a suicidally unsafe design but it has several really serious failure modes, one of which was demonstrated in the accident

basically in a reactor you always try to keep the right number of neutrons in the core going the right speed. neutrons generated by fission reactions initiate more fission reactions, so more of them means faster reactions. however slower-moving neutrons ("moderated" ones) are much better at starting reactions than fast neutrons, so you also generally want to slow them down in order to make your
reactor more efficient. it's this constant balance between moderation and absorption that makes up control of the reaction.

in something like a candu, the reactor is full of heavy water. heavy water is an effective neutron moderator, so it increases the efficiency of the reaction. if the reactor were to overheat due to some failure in another part of the system, the heavy water would boil away, reducing the amount of it available for moderation, so the neutrons would speed up, the reaction efficiency goes down, and the reactor cools off. you lost millions of dollars worth of heavy water but you prevented a meltdown.

so anyway the chernobyl reactor used solid graphite as a moderator and also ran light water through the core as coolant. light water is also an effective neutron absorber (research reactors in universities often have no more shielding than being placed in a 30 foot deep pool of water, and you can stand above and look down at the core completely safely). so normally you have fast neutrons slowing down in the graphite and then some are being absorbed by the water, balancing the reaction.

well when it overheats think of what happens: the water boils away, creating steam voids that no longer serve any real absorption function,, while the graphite stays right where it is making the neutrons more effective. oh dear

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah it turns out graphite burns

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chernobyl also had another mechanical problem which was with the control rods. normally to stop a reaction you can lower these rods made of boron or some other powerful neutron absorber into the core, and they soak up the neutrons and effectively stop the reaction. in the chernobyl design the rods had a couple feet of non-absorbent material at the lower end, so when they started to put the rods in to shut the reactor down, initially they just displaced water and made the reaction even faster. the whole thing blew up before the rods even got into the core iirc

besides the void coefficient thing (the effect of steam bubbles in the core), modern reactors have safety features like "control rods that don't have that dumbass feature on the end", rods that can be dropped or fired into the center of the reactor in fractions of a second instead of tens, and the ability to flood the whole thing with liquid or gaseous neutron poisons that will stop the reaction instantly, damaging the core in the process and requiring recommissioning but at least preventing a total disaster.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

yeah it turns out graphite burns

well yeah that's a whole other thing that happens afterwards. zirconium and uranium will also burn quite nicely at the temperatures you get in a reactor power excursion tho and that's what most fuel bundles are made of. gotta keep the air out and chernobyl originally had that, with some kind of helium system irrc, but it broke when the reactor exploded.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

so anyway the chernobyl reactor used solid graphite as a moderator and also ran light water through the core as coolant. light water is also an effective neutron absorber (research reactors in universities often have no more shielding than being placed in a 30 foot deep pool of water, and you can stand above and look down at the core completely safely). so normally you have fast neutrons slowing down in the graphite and then some are being absorbed by the water, balancing the reaction.

wouldn't that make the water radioactive :ohdear:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in the time you took to post all that i was off on a tangent reading about steam turbines instead

i wish i was less ignorant :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Avenging Dentist posted:

my preferred alternative to nuclear is "nuclear without the regulatory capture"

it's not like people had no idea that fukushima i was a piece of poo poo it's just that tepco ignored the warnings because it was cheaper that way

also because it was already scheduled to have the two oldest reactors fully replaced in 2013 and 2014 respectively

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not as much as you'd think. in a commercial reactor it's treated as low level waste, don't know what they do with it in the pool reactors in universities. i wouldn't swim in it but apparently you actually could without any danger as long as you stayed more than ~10 feet? from the reactor core at the bottom. water does a really good job stopping radiation.

if they're gonna bomb your city, go to the local aquarium

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

survived the nazi occupation of ukraine. then this big loving power plant near her cottage blew up. she still lives there.

72 year old woman that is not afraid of radiation because "it does not bite!"

86 years old and sneaks through a hole in a fence to get the good mushrooms. ducks into a bush when the cops patrol by.

this is the most russian woman in the world. when the power plant blew up, she tried to hide herself and her cow in the basement but got evacuated. she came back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/9646437/The-women-living-in-Chernobyls-toxic-wasteland.html

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

i hope you like SNC Lavalin too, because they own the CANDU design now. yes, we loving gave it to them.

this im not such a big fan of

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's amazing to me that nuke plants just end up boiling water in order to produce electricity like some kinda steampunk bullshit made of brass and virginity

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's amazing to me that nuke plants just end up boiling water in order to produce electricity like some kinda steampunk bullshit made of brass and virginity

i think some of them gently caress around with sodium and stuff, but yeah. specifically pressurized water reactors freak me out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

there are a couple former olpc people at current job, they're good people

they are

i bought an OLPC for myself and for a friend because of the weird and interesting "sugar" timeline/activity-oriented UI and the mesh networking thing

then whoops ms is a sponsor, it's all going to be windows soon, and we're not going to do anything interesting with the sugar UI anyway, suckers!

now my eMate 300 is more interesting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eschaton posted:

they are, and i bought an OLPC for myself and for a friend because of the weird and interesting "sugar" timeline/activity-oriented UI and the mesh networking thing

then whoops ms is a sponsor, it's all going to be windows soon, and we're not going to do anything interesting with the sugar UI anyway, suckers!

sugar ui was a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. slightly worse actually, since the primary value of cheap educational computers in these places is teaching practical computer skills

it's neat in a ui concept way, but practically useless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's more amazing to me that a modern gas turbine-generator set can turn better than 60% of the heat energy in the steam into electrical power, entirely mechanically

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eschaton posted:

they are

i bought an OLPC for myself and for a friend because of the weird and interesting "sugar" timeline/activity-oriented UI and the mesh networking thing

dude

microsoft became a sponsor because all the developing countries demanded to have a real operating system so that their kids and adults could get training in the operating systems developed countries use. the whole "lets use linux!!!" thing was hated by the african countries especially.

and since microsof thad to issue licenses they became a "sponsor" because they granted free licenses for all the olpcs going to the third world

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

it's more amazing to me that a modern gas turbine-generator set can turn better than 60% of the heat energy in the steam into electrical power, entirely mechanically

holky hell

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

i think some of them gently caress around with sodium and stuff, but yeah. specifically pressurized water reactors freak me out

even the sodium ones boil water to spin a turbine tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just imagine the existential question posed by working in a facility with a turbine with molten sodium flowing through it at 2000 degrees and twice the speed of sound

• Locked thread