Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

opengl128 posted:

You shouldn't start it unless you're going to drive it. You're doing more harm than good otherwise.
Ok, so since the tank is full with a little bit of gas stabilizer I should be good then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Put a hook on it for my tarp, and checked the tire pressure. However, one of the stems started to leak and I spent a few minutes worried until I found a small screwdriver to tighten the core.

Also, why the hell do hubcaps on the front wheels spin and hit my tire stem? Was I supposed to get metal stems for that reason?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

Ok, so since the tank is full with a little bit of gas stabilizer I should be good then?

Put the battery on a trickle charger unless you want to buy a new one in the spring. Probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery from the car either (I'm kinda paranoid about Fords and their whacky :supaburn: cruise control systems). But yeah, beyond that, before you start it in the spring, I'd pull the fuel pump fuse, crank it over about 15 seconds to get oil moving, put the fuse back in, start it up, drive. Change the oil in the spring too.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Viggen had one of these cars so maybe he knows a better fix for it.

Actually, I'd probably live with that "repair" in my ZX2 days. I'd likely have considered putting something metal over the top to ensure it catches and holds itself up when not in neutral, but- uh.. that'd probably be a repurposed cola can folded a few times (which also works amazingly for holding the poo poo plastic undercover shroud on when it gets cold and cracks at the mount points). A $500 Ford never is.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 7, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

opengl128 posted:

You shouldn't start it unless you're going to drive it. You're doing more harm than good otherwise.

You're fine if you let it get all the way up to temp, as well as rev it a bit once it's warm. I start mine up every month or so, usually let it run for ~30 mins or longer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TrueChaos posted:

You're fine if you let it get all the way up to temp, as well as rev it a bit once it's warm. I start mine up every month or so, usually let it run for ~30 mins or longer.

This, keeps various seals and gaskets oiled and prevents bearings and other things that turn from freezing up.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

Geoj posted:

This, keeps various seals and gaskets oiled and prevents bearings and other things that turn from freezing up.

Yup. Every weekend or so I go through and check the batteries (and tenders), start 'em up to get 'em lubed and warmed. Then sigh a bit to myself and either drive the DD, or one of the trucks.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Replace the burst hydraulic pressure line on the Jag today. Unfortunately I only ordered one bottle of Castrol minderal oil, and no local store sells it, so I'll need to order another bottle before the fix is complete.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

11BulletCatcher posted:

Replace the burst hydraulic pressure line on the Jag today. Unfortunately I only ordered one bottle of Castrol minderal oil, and no local store sells it, so I'll need to order another bottle before the fix is complete.

You need to add this to your thread. I love me old British cars.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
I replaced an inner tie rod. Never did one before. The HF tie rod tool was well worth the $50 I paid for it just to not have to deal with being aggravated with the job. It was surprisingly easy... Which is great since I'm sure the other side needs to get done too.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You need to add this to your thread. I love me old British cars.

It's not THAT old, and anyhow it'd be a boring thread. It mostly works.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yesterday, but I crawled underneath the car to reconnect two exhaust pipes (one of the bolts had rattled loose and fell out) and changed the oil (paid a shop cause gently caress it, it's finals week and I don't feel like doing that poo poo myself). In the process noticed my rear sway bar link had disconnected (nut fell off... seeing a pattern?), they're the originals and the boots have been blown for years so I'll probably just replace them even though the loose one still felt good and tight at the ball joints. Probably do that at the same time as the rear struts, if I ever talk my mom into paying for them (because i am a shameful unemployed poor and she'd rather buy a new car than maintain an old one).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

New (to me) wheels while my RPF1s get fixed, or scrapped, depending on how hosed they are. Buddy Club P1 17x8+22. And (brand) new Nitto Invos. Very happy with them so far, looking forward to giving them a real workout later. The P1s will probably hang around as my track wheels since I can fit 245s on them and not have them scrub like the 245s on the 9" wide Enkeis. Semi slicks inbound :getin:

The tread is definitely unique

Laserface fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 12, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got the door leak fixed (stupid BMW weatherstripping) and picked up these:

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Got my 90 an MOT after it failed with six holes in the chassis. Welded up and should get me through the winter. I can see a galv chassis swap in the spring / summer though.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Sold my Silvia. :( Really sad to see it go, but I haven't driven it properly in about 6 months and I don't want to pay the insurance and rego on it anymore.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Crustashio posted:

Got the door leak fixed (stupid BMW weatherstripping) and picked up these:

What seats are you using them with?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Puddin posted:

Sold my Silvia. :( Really sad to see it go, but I haven't driven it properly in about 6 months and I don't want to pay the insurance and rego on it anymore.

Nice car :)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Replaced the older faded headlight housings with brand new ones for free. Thanks recall!

Now if I can find the time to get the car washed and that front bumper re-painted, we'll be golden.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

FatCow posted:

What seats are you using them with?

OMP champ.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Hand washed the car to see if it looked any better. There are tiny black spots in the paint all over the car that won't come out even with some scrubbing, and it still looks as bad as before. Also filled the gas so I could check the gas mileage. It went 233.8 miles on 7.149 gallons, so about 32 mpg. I could probably push it higher if I stopped flooring it in 1st. :v:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Figured I'd see how much hammering I'd need to do to fit the new wheels and tires. Not too much, luckily. These are 275/60 R15 Mickey Thompson Sportsmans on 8" Aero wheels with 4" backspacing, or something like -13ET offset.

Had a rusted-out, leaky brake line fitting. And, in the infinite wisdom of FoMoCo, they decided to put one-off brake hoses on full-size disc brake cars in 1968. Of course the brake LINE size is still the standard 3/16". The fitting, however, is 1/2"-20, which is used on 5/16" brake line. gently caress it, they make adapters.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Bought a nearly complete AllTrac body kit for the Celica.

Also discovered another small patch of rust on said Celica while matching parts to locations :cry: Can't wait for spring to get here so I can start reclaiming this car.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Hellafunctional.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 15, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
275s? That's a lot of tire. Looks good.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Put a set of velocity stacks on the bug and retuned the carbs to suit.

Sounds glorious when it hits 7K RPM. :getin:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I drove my truck around the street into the back yard today.

This might not sound like much, but the last time I tried to move her, it just wouldn't go. I had no power and couldn't even get out of the driveway, despite flooring the gas. I was sure that I was looking at some heavy work, as I heard that this could be a symptom of a failed torque converter. There were other possibilities: bad throttle cable or spring, locked brakes, shot differential, sentient and vengeful transmission, and the wealth of things that could fail that I didn't even know existed.

Today, somehow, none of those things failed. The truck reacted to throttle exactly as expected, and I drove her around the street and backed her up a hill. In doing so, I heard how much higher my RPMs were than before. Now I'm thinking the problem is with fuel delivery, most likely the carb which desperately needs a servicing after 30 years. I might be swapping the engine sometime early next year, so I might just skip it. However, it would be real nice to drive down the the parts store.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Hellafunctional.

drat, that makes those old boats look appealing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

275s? That's a lot of tire. Looks good.

No poo poo, I run 275/60R15 on the back of my GMC. Love those wheels too.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo, I run 275/60R15 on the back of my GMC. Love those wheels too.

It was either these or Soft 8's. Couldn't decide, but these were $58 each and those were $60.

I think I'll probably need an additional cooler on my power steering line, now.

SGNL06
May 6, 2004

They're goin' home! They're goin' home!
I put my left and right headgaskets on the wrong sides and it puked coolant all over the floor as soon as I filled it. Now I get to tear it all down again and buy new head bolts and gaskets :emo:. Lesson learned: I'm an idiot

edit: having said that I'm glad it happened that way and not dumping into an oil gallery or whatever, could've been a lot worse

SGNL06 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 16, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wallaka posted:

It was either these or Soft 8's. Couldn't decide, but these were $58 each and those were $60.

I think I'll probably need an additional cooler on my power steering line, now.

They definitely look better than Soft 8s. Too bad they don't make 'em any bigger than 15" or I'd love to get a set.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Topped up power steering fluid as I had a hose replaced last week that was leaking and the mechanic neglected to top it off :downs: Pump started sounding all whiney and probably has had a few years cut off its life now.

Cleaned the underside of the car while I was there with foaming degreaser which basically melted 17 years of poo poo off the underside of the car. will make monitoring for leaks much easier.

Fitted a catch can too to prevent oil in my intake. hopefully it works out.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Changed the water pump on my 03 Silverado. Super easy job, but one that provided for a lot of tiny confusions as I'd never done it before.

Hadn't used the plastic pop rivets on the fan shroud in a long time so I had to remember how those worked. There are two styles of thermostat housings depending on year, and a universal one that can use two seal types. The fan clutch was stubborn as poo poo and required me to rent a large wrench set, but nobody online mentions needing a tool to hold the pulley in place so I had to improvise with vice grips and hours of failed attempts. Many people just over-tension the serpentine belt to hold the pulley but I couldn't make it work. The plastic y-hose going to my overflow tank and heater core broke, but I couldn't remove it from the heater core without a special quick disconnect tool. Online searches for that were very frustrating as the hose next to it is frequently broken and traffic about it drowns out the one I was researching. The disconnect is against the firewall making it impossible to visually inspect if you don't already know how it works. The replacement hose did not come with a new disconnect, meaning I had to figure out how to remove the old one; it uses friction fit plastic collars around the end of the hose which makes it impossible to cut out and basically impossible to refit.

So like many jobs, the first one is an entire day full of autozone trips and fruitless googling but the next time will take half an hour.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

More power steering leaks. Maybe that anti-power-steering guy in the toybaru thread was right after all.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Bought a set of automatic fire extinguishers and installed them today. Had one car go up in flames, certainly don't want to go through that again. gently caress fire.

Relatively easy to install, just cable ties and a little informational sticker. Will probably make it look neater when I have time, but, this works for now.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

PhoenixWing posted:

Bought a set of automatic fire extinguishers and installed them today. Had one car go up in flames, certainly don't want to go through that again. gently caress fire.

Relatively easy to install, just cable ties and a little informational sticker. Will probably make it look neater when I have time, but, this works for now.

If it makes you feel better - Vanagon / Type 2 T3 vans have this plastic fuel coupling that is bad to break and spew fuel right at the exhaust.

In particular, this stupid rear end thing.

There are metal replacements available, at least

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I ordered the SPC rear arms, plus Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts and transmission mount insert thing.

I have a job working on cars now, so I had access to a lift on my day off and it was wonderful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PhoenixWing posted:

Huh, that's pretty simple. It's just a tube filled with fire extinguishing goo that melts and releases its content when it gets hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dang that looks good. Nice car.