Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

IslamoNazi posted:

hashtag awwsnap

The royal commissioner also said this

http://www.tradeunionroyalcommission.gov.au/reports/Pages/default.aspx

quote:

…the manner in which she uttered these words denying what [builder] Athol James said [about Gillard telling him the renovations were paid for by Wilson] seemed to be excessive, forced, and asseverated. There was an element of acting in her demeanour. She delivered those words in a dramatic and angry way, but the delivery fell flat. She protested too much. She chose to fight him. It was a fight in which there could be only one winner. Unfortunately, she lost that fight.’

There is a benign explanation for Julia Gillard’s testimony and there is a less benign explanation. Behind each explanation lies the fact that, unlike Athol James, she had a strong motive to see her version of events accepted.’

The benign explanation is that the testimony proceeded from vellity. She wanted it to be the case that she had paid for all the renovation work. Over 20 years, subconsciously, she convinced herself that it was the case. So dearly cherished an outcome became inexpugnably part of her mentality.’

The less benign explanation is that she knew her testimony was false. It might have been knowingly false in the sense that she remembered the key events happening, but chose to deny them. Or it might have been knowingly false in the sense that she could not remember one way or the other whether the key events happened, but chose to deny them. In each case she was telling a knowing untruth about her mental state…

Classic Juliar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Isn't it pretty unusual for a royal commissioner to speculate so wildly?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I really don't see why the government needs to own an airline.
Qantas is fighting a losing battle against other airlines that have significant government ownerships and/or access to low-cost government loans, so why not have a similar setup here? (Qantas' braindead management decisions for the last decade haven't helped.)

Part of the original rationale for Qantas nationalisation was to provide access to remote parts of Australia on routes that would not be commerically sustainable, much in the way the PMG did for communications.

I still see these as good reasons for retaining significant government interest and support of a national ariline in Australia.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Anidav posted:

Also no Americans will come in this thread and argue the children should have had knifes to protect from baddies. Nor a LDP senator.

good news the current gbs control thread has the situation as an argument in favour of relaxing gun control

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
To be fair, I'm in favour of loosening gun control in order to solve GBS control, as well.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

IslamoNazi posted:

So the thread could probably use some good news. I've just been to the blood bank to go through my 3rd and final round of screening for my second bone marrow donation this year. Turns out my body is wanted really loving bad by people.

It's not all sieges, right wing poo poo stains and children being stabbed to death.

I only donate blood three times a year and that wigs me out no end. You're doing good.

How do you go about donating marrow anyway?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Starshark posted:

I only donate blood three times a year and that wigs me out no end. You're doing good.

I'm scared as poo poo about it. You get a general, go under for a few hours and they stick a 4 inch (may not be actual size but you're getting a general so you don't poo poo yourself at the size of the needle) metallic pipe into your hips and suck out all the good stuff.

Also, sign up for the marrow registry if you're not already. Took me 10 years to get called up so odds aren't great but you'll be a literal super hero if you can give up part of yourself to save some kid with cancers (most common recipient of the donation) life.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I'd be making GBS threads myself too, good on you. Do you have to be at a specific level of health or have a certain lifestyle to be able to go on the register? I imagine you can't if you've got a compromised immune system but can you be, for example, a big fat gay alcoholic and be a bone marrow donor? Ten years is a long time to be on a waiting list to donate, do you have periodic health checks to see if you're fit enough to donate?

superkinetic
Jul 22, 2007

WHEN?

Starshark posted:

http://www.abmdr.org.au/abmdr2/page/donor-information

You give a blood sample, are enrolled on the registry, and then you sit back and relax. One day, if a patient requiring a bone marrow transplant is found to match you, you'll get a call to donate some marrow. You may never get the call.

More information is available on the site, and this page is a good description of the process: http://www.abmdr.org.au/abmdr2/page/introduction-matching

Donating the marrow itself (if you are asked to) will usually require a single night in hospital and a short general anaesthetic. You'll have a stiff/sore back for a couple of days, and will probably need some panadol. You recover from a marrow donation just like you would a blood donation, in that you regenerate what was taken from you.

The donation will be used directly to try and save the matched individual's life. Often a bone marrow transplant will be their only shot at a cure. Commonly these patients are suffering from haematological malignancies (leukaemia, lymphoma, etc), and are seriously ill at the time the transplant is being considered, with other measures already having failed.

If you want to be a hero with no more risk than that which comes from a general anaesthetic and a bone aspiration, this is the way to do it.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
NO FATTIES http://bethematch.org/support-the-cause/donate-bone-marrow/join-the-marrow-registry/medical-guidelines/

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Fruity Gordo posted:

I'd be making GBS threads myself too, good on you. Do you have to be at a specific level of health or have a certain lifestyle to be able to go on the register? I imagine you can't if you've got a compromised immune system but can you be, for example, a big fat gay alcoholic and be a bone marrow donor? Ten years is a long time to be on a waiting list to donate, do you have periodic health checks to see if you're fit enough to donate?

Gay is the problem part. No man on man sex in the last 12 months (what can I say, it's been a dry spell). Other than that you need to basically be a match. I'm sure there is more that goes into it but if you can give blood then you can give marrow.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

The reaction will be pretty bad - 8 kids confirmed dead...

God dam :(.

If one of those kids had a gun this wouldn't have happened.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
It's also an international registry as well so you may be saving a burgeoning NRA libertarians life or some poo poo.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

are you thinking of signing up sweeroy?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bell jar posted:

:drat:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
That's p cool, I'm gonna think about putting myself on the register.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

bell jar posted:

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh GURL

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

bell jar posted:

:vince:

Does swee even read this thread? it'd be ashame if he never read that sick burn

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Splode posted:

Does swee even read this thread? it'd be ashame if he never read that sick burn

Not as big a shame as your posting career

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Meanwhile Brisbane prepares for Jesus.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Anidav posted:

Meanwhile Brisbane prepares for Jesus.

Why did I leave Brisbane just as the camels arrive? I want to pat a camel :negative:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Its nice to see the three wise men support #illridewithyou

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Shanakin posted:

I know this happened a couple of pages ago but I just want to make people feel old

This aired in 1996, 18 years ago.

This one in '94, 20 years ago.

God damnit.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

Its nice to see the three wise men support #illridewithyou

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shanakin posted:

I know this happened a couple of pages ago but I just want to make people feel old

gently caress you, man.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

IslamoNazi posted:

So the thread could probably use some good news. I've just been to the blood bank to go through my 3rd and final round of screening for my second bone marrow donation this year. Turns out my body is wanted really loving bad by people.

It's not all sieges, right wing poo poo stains and children being stabbed to death.
You have inspired me. The bone marrow registry page says you need to make an appointment to give blood and ask for the bone marrow registry form before donating. My blood donation appointment is next Monday, I've been meaning to donate for years but never got around to booking it. Thank you.

Shanakin posted:

You aren't getting my blood or my marrow.
edit: actually you can have it but I'm spitting in it first.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 19, 2014

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

T-1000 posted:

You have inspired me. The bone marrow registry page says you need to make an appointment to give blood and ask for the bone marrow registry form before donating. My blood donation appointment is next Monday, I've been meaning to donate for years but never got around to booking it. Thank you.
You aren't getting my blood or my marrow.
edit: actually you can have it but I'm spitting in it first.

If you're already giving blood it's a drop in the ocean to get on the registry. Do it. :respek:

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mithranderp posted:

Granted, if it WERE all of those things, it wouldn't have been as marketable as Monis' attack because the media couldn't market it as anything but an isolated, if tragic, incident; with Monis, they were able to link it to the ISIS DEATH CULT and the TERRORIST THREAT TO AUSTRALIA in a kind-of..."look at this! this will happen again and it might happen to you!" way. Even though tragedies like today's ARE more likely to happen to the average person, the terrorist threat seems more real because the media reports on it more, and because ISIS and Islam are much easier targets for fear-mongering than the myriad causes of this kind of violence (I am far from qualified to comment about what would have caused someone to murder 8 children, but I suspect mental illness had a role to play). "CHEMICAL IMBALANCE THREAT" doesn't have the same ring to it.

There's also the fact that it happened in regional Australia, and therefore isn't quite as real to those living in capital cities than something that happened in the Sydney CBD.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned the parallels here yet:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-05/rodney-clavell-found-dead-after-standoff-in-adelaide-cbd-brothel/5501504

Capital city (granted, Adelaide, lol). Long seige. Man with a shotgun. Not mentioned in the article but apparently was religiously motivated. Reported quite differently even though it was pretty much the same situation minus the ISIS flag.

I'm not being deliberately dense, terrorism is a bad bad thing, and the guy was using symbols clearly associated with terrorism, but the boner the media has for terrorism and Straya! is making everything so incredibly much worse and possibly only encouraging those who are already borderline stable to go out with a spectacular bang.

It's not all bad though. They stayed away from outright calling it a terrorist attack I guess? How excited do you think Tony was when he heard the news?

adamantium|wang posted:

After this and 132 children shot dead in Pakistan can this year hurry up and gently caress off already :smith:

Yup. lovely, lovely year.

:itwaspoo:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm not allowed to donate for medical reasons but I just wanted to put my admiration and respect for everyone who does so on the record.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
We should switch our current organ doner registry from opt-in to an opt-out system, I think they have one like that somewhere in Europe and it has helped reduce the scarcity of donor organs a lot.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

GoldStandardConure posted:

We should switch our current organ doner registry from opt-in to an opt-out system, I think they have one like that somewhere in Europe and it has helped reduce the scarcity of donor organs a lot.

Why anyone wouldn't be on it is completely beyond me. Default should be donor/body for research unless otherwise specified.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bell jar posted:

Fruity Gordo posted:

noice

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Zenithe posted:

Why anyone wouldn't be on it is completely beyond me. Default should be donor/body for research unless otherwise specified.

It would be a pretty good way of removing the fear of "they won't put effort into saving me if they need the body". There is going to be enough turn over that it wouldn't really be something that could theoretically come into play.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

IslamoNazi posted:

"they won't put effort into saving me if they need the body".

What the actual gently caress. That isn't seriously a belief is it?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

GoldStandardConure posted:

Hey, that was my bill back when I did Youth Parliament! Good times.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

If I could make that statement represent a state, I'd guess Queensland.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

Yup. Along with the belief that an opt-out systen infringes on peoples religious beliefs.

"B-b-but what if they forget to opt out?!"

I have had both of those arguments people at work. The same person actually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
found footage of willus from the other morning http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAXrxlDK6c

Lol whoops wrong thread

• Locked thread