Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Well, it's good that they've learnt their lesson and that, in this season, the ending was the best part about it. Endings are the most important. You can forgive a mediocre middle if the ending is good.

Korrasami was great, too! ...Now watch twenty years pass before someone dares create an ace agender protagonist. Oh, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't really keep up with the new terminology. What does "ace" mean in this context?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Ace just means like, dope, or boss, or radical.

Also Ryu of all people was in that fight like a champ, not lazing around at all. Yeah all he really did was get shot at and not die but hey that's something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Given that he doesn't really care about anything, Ryu ought to have achieved enlightenment and gained flight by now.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The Sharmat posted:

I don't really keep up with the new terminology. What does "ace" mean in this context?

Asexual.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I don't get the obsession people have with Koh. Wasn't he just a one-off spirit from a single episode?

Also I saw Chekov Kuvira's gun coming back into play when they showed it landing :v: Though one wonders how she was able to aim it so well if it was platinum.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Kazy posted:

I don't get the obsession people have with Koh. Wasn't he just a one-off spirit from a single episode?

It was a very memorable scene in a very memorable episode. He single-handedly made the Spirit World seem creepy and alien, and his last words on screen are "We'll meet again."...which understandably led to people waiting for him to show up again.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
:pusheen:

It was a little Deus Ex Machina, actually it was a massive Machina powered by Deus energy, but yeah, they pulled it off spectacularly.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Why is Bolin officiating weddings?

Isn't Bolin supposed to be the most famous of all the characters? He's like
Robert Downey Jr. famous from doing movies.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Kazy posted:

Also I saw Chekov Kuvira's gun coming back into play when they showed it landing :v: Though one wonders how she was able to aim it so well if it was platinum.

She, as Korra's metal doppelganger, gets to also be insanely ripped.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hot drat that was an amazing finale :allears:

The fight scenes, the dialogues, everything was just fantastic. I mean I never got to see TLA when it was airing so watching that finale didn't have the same punch as this one that the series was finally over. I can't wait to get all of my friends back on board since the series is over so they're more inclined to watch it as it is finished and that I can definitively say that it got better after season 1.

I, like others here, was kind of relieved that they left the KorraxMako thing there with his "you can always count on me, Korra" and then Asami came along and I was like "awwww they're actually doing it :3:"

Someone was expressing their feelings for Bolin officiating but really he spent the past 3 years AND MORE with both Varrick and Zhu Li, if anyone knows more about those two it's a character we have never met. That and we got more flashy talk, which Bolin has always had a...talent for. I liked it, but then I've always liked Bolin, too bad we didn't get anything final between him and Opal but I guess that happened after Operation Beifong

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Aces High posted:

I, like others here, was kind of relieved that they left the KorraxMako thing there with his "you can always count on me, Korra" and then Asami came along and I was like "awwww they're actually doing it :3:"

My reaction was "Wait is Asami making that thing about Varrick needing him up to get rid of Tenzin or...no they wouldn't...I mean this isn't actually"

and then it really happened.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

The Sharmat posted:

...people waiting for him to show up again.

Guess they'll have to read the comics when he inevitably crashes Korrasami's(yay!) spirit date and steals Asami's face only to have Korra kick his rear end and get it back culminating in that kiss she's(we've) been waiting for.

But for real though, fans of Koh should already be reading the comics, his mom is way cooler

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Sharmat posted:

My reaction was "Wait is Asami making that thing about Varrick needing him up to get rid of Tenzin or...no they wouldn't...I mean this isn't actually"

and then it really happened.

Honestly the moment she showed up on screen, I burst out laughing. I think at that point, we all knew what was coming.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Bravo, Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Bra-loving-vo. What a wonderful finale.

Aces High posted:

...Bolin, too bad we didn't get anything final between him and Opal but I guess that happened after Operation Beifong

There's a shot of Opal dragging Bolin to the dance floor at the wedding. Those two kids are gonna be alright.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The fight scenes were excellent but holy poo poo did the dialogue get bad this episode, it got really painful at the end.

Good on them for not going with Korra and Mako, that would've been loving awful if they did.

The finale was decent, I should probably try watching it again by myself instead of with friends and see if it's better when we're not laughing at the really out of place stuff or Korra, greatest bender in the world getting sucker punched with a rock to the face from a person she was looking directly at

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Guess they'll have to read the comics when he inevitably crashes Korrasami's(yay!) spirit date and steals Asami's face only to have Korra kick his rear end and get it back culminating in that kiss she's(we've) been waiting for.

But for real though, fans of Koh should already be reading the comics, his mom is way cooler

I read the first comic and it bored me so I stopped. I don't know if it's because it's a bad comic or if it's because I'm just not a comics person.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The fight scenes were excellent but holy poo poo did the dialogue get bad this episode, it got really painful at the end.

Good on them for not going with Korra and Mako, that would've been loving awful if they did.

The finale was decent, I should probably try watching it again by myself instead of with friends and see if it's better when we're not laughing at the really out of place stuff or Korra, greatest bender in the world getting sucker punched with a rock to the face from a person she was looking directly at

I'm gonna rewatch it tomorrow when the stream will presumably be less hosed. It looked like something rendered on an N64 half the time I watched it. And that's when it wasn't just randomly freezing.

Sadly I'm too wired to sleep now. That was pretty great.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
haha I'm surprised how blatant the end was, nice. Glad the spider-hyphen-man meltdown tradition has carried on so strongly.

The people vs giant robot stuff doesn't really do it for me though, I like Avatar for the magic kung fu so a bunch of episodes this season felt wasted. Kuvira firing from balls of liquid metal was good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Korra not going full Avatar State to take out the giant robot seemed contrived as gently caress to me. Am I wrong in thinking there was no reason she shouldn't have done that right from the start?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I can't believe Korrasami is real and that it was done so tastefully. :unsmith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

Korra not going full Avatar State to take out the giant robot seemed contrived as gently caress to me. Am I wrong in thinking there was no reason she shouldn't have done that right from the start?

She still couldn't bend platinum in the Avatar state, and the mech was coated in it. And anything she did to try to crush it would be slow and obvious enough that she'd have plenty of time to be hit by the spirit cannon while she was lifting a mountain or whatever. Which means no more Avatar cycle. Better to do it the way they did.

Also she needed to beat Kuvira without using the Avatar state for it to feel worthwhile.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BrianWilly posted:

Wait did they explain how Wu was able to loving command badger-moles? Was this an Earth Nation royal thing? Is he actually a summoner and not a DPS class?

Eh, I figured that since they're part of the whole Sky Bison/Dragon/Badger-Mole elemental animal teacher thing, that Badger-Moles are at least as smart as bison. If they like you, they help you--and they liked Wu.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

The people vs giant robot stuff doesn't really do it for me though, I like Avatar for the magic kung fu so a bunch of episodes this season felt wasted. Kuvira firing from balls of liquid metal was good

I thought the vs. giant robot stuff was okay but overall, I typically agree with this. One of the things I hated about the last season of ATLA was that they went really heavy on everyone being element wizards who did whatever they wanted, and really downplayed/ignored the choreography. Like the Aang/Ozai thing especially was just flying energy blast stuff and it was super disappointing. The choreography I felt was really important to making the action interesting.

I still think this was done pretty well, and I especially loved Kuvira just ripping off the cannon arm the moment it was no longer useful.

Also, Kuvira's suckerpunch Brick is terrific. I don't care if you think she should have been able to stop it or something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ambivalent posted:

Also, Kuvira's suckerpunch Brick is terrific. I don't care if you think she should have been able to stop it or something.

"I can brick bend? I can brick bend!"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

She still couldn't bend platinum in the Avatar state, and the mech was coated in it. And anything she did to try to crush it would be slow and obvious enough that she'd have plenty of time to be hit by the spirit cannon while she was lifting a mountain or whatever. Which means no more Avatar cycle. Better to do it the way they did.

Also she needed to beat Kuvira without using the Avatar state for it to feel worthwhile.

Except we just saw that she could deflect the spirit cannon when she was in the Avatar state.

I guess this is more on the avatar state and how lovely it is as a device than anything else. In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff that bugged me about the finale were holdovers from earlier seasons rather than anything from this one (Korra's one real fight where she's not somehow weakened or dealing with something broken in the entire series not being a complete loving blowout would be fine if she ever put up a good fight anywhere else).

It was hilarious to see Tenzin tell Korra how much the world changed in 3 years (because of all her gently caress-ups) at the end, too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except we just saw that she could deflect the spirit cannon when she was in the Avatar state.
It's not like she knew she could do that. By all rights she shouldn't have been able to; it's a lot more powerful energybending than anything we've seen, a long-shot miracle "Limit Break" sort of thing that shows that what Zaheer and Kuvira says are correct: Korra's power is truly limitless.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
well

that was certainly something of an ending wasn't it

I'm pretty sure the spine of the internet might break now

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Here's how this ep is gonna look when this airs on Nick Toons tomorrow:

http://i.imgur.com/azrMqN9.jpg

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was hilarious to see Tenzin tell Korra how much the world changed in 3 years (because of all her gently caress-ups) at the end, too.
This feels like a pretty ungenerous reading to me, but I doubt I'll convince you and I honestly don't even feel like trying right now. The mechanics of bending in a fight are almost entirely stuff you're gonna forgive if you want to or attack because you want to, since it's always just been them making up the rules as they go.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

I'm pretty sure the spine of the internet might break now

At the very least, people on that one board are (mostly positively) exploding about it

E: everything about Varrick and Zhu Li was loving 10/10 great in this episode, and so was Bolin (outside the wedding)

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 19, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The final musical cue of the series, up on Jeremy Zuckerman's Soundcloud.

:unsmith:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rincewind posted:

My relief over Meelo just airbending normally was as profound as my relief that that little scene with Mako and Korra didn't end up with them getting back together.

Man seriously, I'm glad that happened instead of them trying to make another fart joke.

Also wow yeah, Korrasami. That was kinda' neat. Varrick's wedding was adorable too. :3:

Good finale with a ton of action and some decent character moments. Show ends on a high note, even if it's been a bumpy ride getting there.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
ATLA was unsteady (though well animated) with moments of brilliance for Book 1 and half of Book 2. I feel comfortable saying the same for the first half of Korra. It just really takes these guys a long time to find their feet.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

God what I wouldn't give for a full Korra soundtrack.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ambivalent posted:

I can't believe the big reveal at the end when it turned out Korra and Asami were actually cousins, what a dramatic turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3sraydCL6c

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm queer and I'm still kind of reeling myself. When every single cartoon (or even teen/kid movie) with even the slightest hint of romance ends with something like the end of TLA, it's actually kind of confusing to see part of yourself so clearly reflected in a freaking NICKELODEON production of all places. And I actually prefer how they pulled it off here too, no need for the awkward babygay "what does it all mean???" stuff that always comes up when someone tries to tackle it head on.

It was so good.

BlueBayou posted:

The Korrasami thing was fantastic, but that is a tiny dinghy of a ship compared to the amazingness that is the SS Do the Thing

Varrick, do the thing :wiggle:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I almost wish Korrazilla popped in for like a minute if only because we were so close to this being able to happen

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Reene posted:

God what I wouldn't give for a full Korra soundtrack.

I'd give an arm

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheKingofSprings posted:

I almost wish Korrazilla popped in for like a minute if only because we were so close to this being able to happen

I was legit hoping that after Kuvira ripped off the arm, she started beating it against the nearby buildings in an attempt to kill Lin & Su inside. Either way, it was :black101: as gently caress.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

TheKingofSprings posted:

drat, now I almost feel cheated (ok no I don't).

Really though, I like that Varrick and Zhu-Li got some nice resolution together. gently caress, pretty much everyone important got to do something useful in the finale. It was a nice way to close off a show/series axed by Nick execs in favor of more Spongebob reruns or whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

StrifeHira posted:

It was a nice way to close off a show/series axed by Nick execs in favor of more Spongebob reruns or whatever.

On the bright side, Nick apparently makes little to any revenue from Korra toys, and that's normally one of their primary money makers. Since that's the case, after the DVD sales die down they may actually be willing to sell the IP to Netflix/Hulu/anybody else willing and able to give Bryke the budget and creative freedom for another Avatar series. Or at least, I hope they'd be. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah I'm sorta curious what their situation is with the creators ownership of the avatar brand, can nick just hold onto it forever in spite?

• Locked thread