Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Eric the Mauve posted:

Geniuses die. A lot. Even by medieval standards.

No one likes a smartass.

The Subterfuge Path is really good, I spied on a troublesome Vassal and very quickly I had all sorts of poo poo for which I could legally imprison them and take their titles. I even got the option to abduct them, but I didn't do it because I wasn't entirely sure what'd happen and abducting my own Vassals was probably not the best plan. I'll have to try it on someone nobody will care about.

Unfortunately it'll have to wait because that king caught syphilis went barmy and then died. Leaving his five year old son in charge of the kingdom. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Fans fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I wish this didn't crash half the time I try to load a game. I'm savescumming trying to learn the game a bit(getting better too!) and it does this so much. I've played random Irish guys now a few times and getting better and quicker at becoming king. Learning my mistakes as I go.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hoof. So it's a little chancey trying to seduce people as a female ruler, because if your target is in command (or in hiding or whatever), it'll basically just skip the attempt to try again 20 days later. But the AI loves staying in command indefinitely, and there's no way to STOP trying unless you actually get an attempt. So you can easily get stuck permanently trying to seduce someone who's just hanging out with his troops forever.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What's the requirement for having a Trade Post CB as a Patrician against another Patrician? Besides them having a trade post, obviously. I can't seem to figure out why I can declare war on one guy for his trade posts but not on another guy of similar standing who also has some trading posts I want.

Also when I eventually become Doge, is there a way to grab Patrician's trading posts? Or are you forced to let them build wherever they want in exchange for them not being able to declare war on you?

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Kawalimus posted:

I wish this didn't crash half the time I try to load a game. I'm savescumming trying to learn the game a bit(getting better too!) and it does this so much. I've played random Irish guys now a few times and getting better and quicker at becoming king. Learning my mistakes as I go.

You can learn a ton just by digging yourself out of your problems instead of reloading. Some of my most badass games were when everything collapsed and I ended up losing everything & going about either getting vengeance or everything back & more some other way. I assume you're playing the reload game because you care about your game & want it to go well. Use that energy instead to find a way to kill every last child in the house that wronged you. Hell, you can wipe an entire culture off the map if you want. Once I eliminated the Irish because they killed my first king. No more Irish.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is anyone else getting bugs with troops being hostile when they shouldn't be?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Is anyone else getting bugs with troops being hostile when they shouldn't be?
Yep. Quitting completely and reloading fixes it, but it's kind of annoying. As is the bug where dismissing realm fleets/levies doesn't work.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

VDay posted:

What's the requirement for having a Trade Post CB as a Patrician against another Patrician? Besides them having a trade post, obviously. I can't seem to figure out why I can declare war on one guy for his trade posts but not on another guy of similar standing who also has some trading posts I want.

Also when I eventually become Doge, is there a way to grab Patrician's trading posts? Or are you forced to let them build wherever they want in exchange for them not being able to declare war on you?

Unless they changed it, you also have to have less trading posts than the person you want to seize one from. (And I think you're also disallowed from seizing trade posts completely, if you're Doge/Grand Mayor, right? I could be wrong on that one, though)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I tried playing out as good ol Ireland in the CM starting period and WOW everyone just immediately declares war on you if you try to expand your territory. Rude.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Did they ever fix the problem with the mega caliphates that happened with CM DLC? I haven't kept up with the game since then because it was making it unplayable for me.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Fans posted:

No one likes a smartass.

The Subterfuge Path is really good, I spied on a troublesome Vassal and very quickly I had all sorts of poo poo for which I could legally imprison them and take their titles. I even got the option to abduct them, but I didn't do it because I wasn't entirely sure what'd happen and abducting my own Vassals was probably not the best plan. I'll have to try it on someone nobody will care about.

Unfortunately it'll have to wait because that king caught syphilis went barmy and then died. Leaving his five year old son in charge of the kingdom. I'm sure he'll be fine.

No one cares if you abduct someone. They just wind up in your prison, you can release/execute/banish as normal but will incur tyranny if you do so, otherwise the imprisonment is free.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

If you didn't hate SWMH already, the HIP team had to remove it from their compilation mod as SWMH was spawning courtiers every single day non-stop in game for each court, causing absolutely enormous lag problems

:toot:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'm not sure if this has been raised already, but uh, my character/Empress doesn't seem to be able to break up with one of her lovers post-seduction, after he gave me a bastard. (using the diplo option, that is) It's becoming slightly urgent for me, as he has contracted syphilis somewhere along the way, and I don't exactly want my character to pick that up off him, if there happen to be further "encounters" between the two.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jedit posted:

Crusader Kings II: Too Many Cucks.

Die.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I tried playing out as good ol Ireland in the CM starting period and WOW everyone just immediately declares war on you if you try to expand your territory. Rude.

Did you attack the Ua Niall's or whatever that clan that owns half of Ireland is called?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Major Isoor posted:

I'm not sure if this has been raised already, but uh, my character/Empress doesn't seem to be able to break up with one of her lovers post-seduction, after he gave me a bastard. (using the diplo option, that is) It's becoming slightly urgent for me, as he has contracted syphilis somewhere along the way, and I don't exactly want my character to pick that up off him, if there happen to be further "encounters" between the two.

God's punishment? You could always have him killed to avoid the awkward break up talk, this is CK2 after all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, trying to break up with your lover seems a little broken at the moment. The description actually says something like, "[Your lover's name] will break up with [your lover's name]," and doesn't accomplish anything.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Did holy orders get buffed recently? I've been trying to play a Norse game lately and every tiny little Christian shithole punches way above their weight due to their interference.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Sharzak posted:

Wait so in order to convert to Feudalism, I need to Reform my Germanic faith, which requires 3 of 5 holy sites that are flung far and wide. It doesn't seem feasible to do this anytime soon--is there a way around this? I'd really rather not have to conquer my way through Sweden and northern Germany.

Either that, or start as Hafdan Whiteshirt, as it's the only non-doomed Feudal Germanic start.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My first game after Way of Life, my thoughts are mixed on the new interface.

The new character screen is much better, quite an improvement.

But the new diplomacy window is kinda weird: first of all, where the hell is the close button?? Second, why cant I drag it (in fact, trying to drag it seems to be the only way to close it)? And once again, I was hoping for some new much necessary map modes (a "your vassals" map mode and a cultural map mode), but nope.

As for the new WoL events and stuff, are they only for catholics? Ive started a slavic tribal game and I havent seem much difference yet, apart from the new "focus" thing.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvv where are the seduction options? I could not find any

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 19, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Another seduction question: I've tried seducing the aging genius pious/theology-obsessed King of Sweden, except it's been around two years and no events have fired - is it possible to back out of attempting to seduce a particular person? (Other than killing him - since all the people I seem to pick as lovers are apparently well regarded by all) Or will I need to either wait until he dies, or pick another focus, wait for years, then pick seduction again?

Thanks

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Elias_Maluco posted:

My first game after Way of Life, my thoughts are mixed on the new interface.

The new character screen is much better, quite an improvement.

But the new diplomacy window is kinda weird: first of all, where the hell is the close button?? Second, why cant I drag it (in fact, trying to drag it seems to be the only way to close it)? And once again, I was hoping for some new much necessary map modes (a "your vassals" map mode and a cultural map mode), but nope.

As for the new WoL events and stuff, are they only for catholics? Ive started a slavic tribal game and I havent seem much difference yet, apart from the new "focus" thing.

Its a popup menu, you are not supposed to drag it, its not a window. You don't try to drag around the right-click menu you have in a browser do you?
Also you mean the "Direct Vassals" and "Culture" map mode that already exist?
Then for the WoL events, all the WoL events are bound to focuses yes.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

Its a popup menu, you are not supposed to drag it, its not a window. You don't try to drag around the right-click menu you have in a browser do you?

Is quite big for a popup menu (specially with two boxes) and it gets in the way of things. I think it would be a lot better if it was treated like a window, draggable and with a proper close button, like all other windows.

Groogy posted:

Nope: "Direct Vassals" will only show your vassals if you are independent. There is no map mode to see your own vassal when you are a vassal yourself, which makes playing a vassal harder, when you get big enough and you have to worry about your own internal politics. As for the "culture" one, guess I have missed it all this time. I will look for it, thanks.

Groogy posted:

No, I mean all those seduction options and stuff people have been talking about, I havent seen any in my game yet.

EDIT: vvvvvv so in order to be able to use seduce, I have to pick the appropriate focus? Ok, thanks

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 19, 2014

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Elias_Maluco posted:

No, I mean all those seduction options and stuff people have been talking about, I havent seen any in my game yet.

Yes, they are bound to focuses, you have to pick a focus in order to for instance construct an observatory you have to pick the scholar focus, etc. etc.
And seduction is done through the new diplomacy interface since we now allow kind of scripting your own diplomatic interactions through special kind of decisions.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Groogy posted:

It would be infinitely better if it went away when you clicked something else like the right-click menu, as it is it generally pops up in an awkward part of the screen and doesn't close when you expect it to.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Fender posted:

You can learn a ton just by digging yourself out of your problems instead of reloading. Some of my most badass games were when everything collapsed and I ended up losing everything & going about either getting vengeance or everything back & more some other way. I assume you're playing the reload game because you care about your game & want it to go well. Use that energy instead to find a way to kill every last child in the house that wronged you. Hell, you can wipe an entire culture off the map if you want. Once I eliminated the Irish because they killed my first king. No more Irish.

I probably should just bite the bullet on a lot of them. What often happens is my guy I'm playing will be pretty decent but then his heir will be awful and my land and poo poo will be hosed. And I have no intrigue or whatever so I can't just stab someone. Then half the time if I do some idiot spills the beans and the whole world hates me. I should probably take my lumps more often and work through them, just I don't know how a typical game is "supposed" to look yet. I should probably skim through a few let's plays from good players and get a sense of how things go and if I'm really screwing up or if those things just happen.

I also do dumb stuff like create the wrong duchy or don't see something right and think I need to get level 4 legalism or whatever in order to get out of tribalism and into feudalism or switch from tribalism to feudalism too quick and I can't do that cool tribe raising thing. So I save scum and just keep playing the "early game" over and over to smooth out these dumb mistakes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Kawalimus: Here's the thing to remember about CK2. You CAN play to win, and you can pretty consistently win once you grok the mechanics. But the game has so much replay value because losing can be so much fun!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Kawalimus: Here's the thing to remember about CK2. You CAN play to win, and you can pretty consistently win once you grok the mechanics. But the game has so much replay value because losing can be so much fun!

Yeah I've had some fun sometimes I die and my successors wife hates him so much because he has a million lovers and I pretty much just openly did stuff with them all until I pissed enough people off they finally killed me then I quit that game cause the next in line or whatever was just crap.

Any consensus on what the best "focuses" are? I use Carousing most of the time but in games I often become a creature of habit and fail to try new things. Cause I need something to get these bishops to like me more than the stupid pope and that will often get their opinions of me to 100 for the ones that even granting the titles or educate child or gifts or whatever fail to do.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nobody Interesting posted:

No one cares if you abduct someone. They just wind up in your prison, you can release/execute/banish as normal but will incur tyranny if you do so, otherwise the imprisonment is free.

:magical:

Time to jail all dissenters and create my CK2 North Korea.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The 'break up' diplomacy option for lovers is bugged and doesn't work. It's impossible to end affairs unless you do it via event.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThomasPaine posted:

The 'break up' diplomacy option for lovers is bugged and doesn't work. It's impossible to end affairs unless you do it via event.

Oh, that's not the only way to end affairs... :ese:

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Last night I was one percentage point of moral authority away from being able to reform West African paganism with an easy to raid mosque next door. Then my king died and elective Gavelkind not only gave my capital to my second son, it destroyed the entire kingdom of Mali. Anyway, reforming the faith seems very doable in the CM start if you beeline towards the northern holy sites before the Umayyads get to them.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Man, my current guy's rival is my little brother's mentally disabled friend, who actually somehow LIKES my character. I've got -100 for him to his +52 for me. I hate him so much for no real reason. I've actually got some genuine, real life dislike for my player character going on right now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hey Groogy, you guys know about the bug that makes it impossible to demobilize levies from the menu, right? It would be pretty minor except that it paralyzes the AI by making them unable to go to war.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Fuligin posted:

Hey Groogy, you guys know about the bug that makes it impossible to demobilize levies from the menu, right? It would be pretty minor except that it paralyzes the AI by making them unable to go to war.

that might explain why a HRE count has -167 opinion from 'raised levies' against his AI liege in my game

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Fans posted:

:magical:

Time to jail all dissenters and create my CK2 North Korea.

It's still 5 gold and a pretty slim chance of success, but it's nice to have the option there. Also the assassinations never seem to get linked to you unless they fail. Spy On is pretty overpowered, all things considered.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Ofaloaf, thank you for silencing Erik W in the Migration Period mod.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Raserys posted:

Ofaloaf, thank you for silencing Erik W in the Migration Period mod.
"I don't want it released until it's perfect" is the one of the worst positions a modder can take. A mod will never be perfect. It's dumb.

Actually, has he done any modding, or is he just loud and outspoken and no one wants to cuss him out of that project's circle? I don't recall him actually making anything or proposing a good idea, but my opinion of him's rather biased at this point and I'm just a bit salty about that mod's developments in general.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Bleh. Since retinues were nerfed essentially to uselessness, going to war as an empire just isn't particularly fun. Painfully gathering together all my troops for like half a year after the declaration of war, managing boats to get the ones that are from the other side of the mediterranean...kinda sucks, particularly when it's to take a single de-jure province or to fight off another liberation revolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

"I don't want it released until it's perfect" is the one of the worst positions a modder can take. A mod will never be perfect. It's dumb.

Actually, has he done any modding, or is he just loud and outspoken and no one wants to cuss him out of that project's circle? I don't recall him actually making anything or proposing a good idea, but my opinion of him's rather biased at this point and I'm just a bit salty about that mod's developments in general.

I'm pretty sure Eric W is just a beta tester and nothing more.

• Locked thread