Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The next LP should be Dwarf Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Glory of Arioch posted:

I have always wanted dwarves to be able to carry flasks around, and let them use them when they get thirsty to slake their thirst once before they need to refill it. In my head, they'd only be able to be made from metal, too, which would add some additional pressure to get a metalworks up (as dwarves who can just drink their flask on the spot and get back to work would be more efficient.)

Plus, I want to make flasks out of lead, only. :twisted:

You... you know this is already a thing, right? You can, in fact, assign flasks to dwarves, and they will drink from them and refill them just like you're describing?

It's pretty essential military gear for border patrols.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I believe drafted dwarves take a flask and a backpack for drinks and food as part of their uniform automatically. It's pretty cool.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GlyphGryph posted:

You... you know this is already a thing, right? You can, in fact, assign flasks to dwarves, and they will drink from them and refill them just like you're describing?

It's pretty essential military gear for border patrols.

Yeah, but civilians don't do this.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
That's why the entire fort gets drafted as reserves. Train 'em in pairs of two to avoid draining the labor pool and assign leather armor and spears.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Job overhaul update released!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Job overhaul update released!

:siren: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.20 (Decemeber 18, 2014). :siren:

Toady One posted:

Here is the job priorities release. It should work fine with old saves, though existing hauling jobs may need to work themselves out for a bit. Further job prioritization work can be done when we get through the framework for start scenarios, since we'll better understand how dwarves fit into the fortress at that time.

New stuff
• New job selection process where dwarves choose important tasks with more regularity
• Very important jobs can remove dwarves from less important jobs
• Ability to prioritize a job so that it gets done immediately
• Mining, engraving and other designation jobs can now be prioritized numerically
• Designation jobs can be placed in a "marker only" mode, marker can be removed later to start work
• Mining jobs can be set to automatically follow veins and clusters
• Mining designation can be set to only select visible gems or useful stone

Major bug fixes
• Fixed crash related to armies failing to take over villages

Other bug fixes/tweaks
• Hauling jobs that used to need a held container now allow the dwarf to carry many items without a container
• Building jobs can swipe items from hauling jobs if the item is not held
• Wall/floor construction and road construction use new skill-free labor settings

I am downloading and installing this right the gently caress now. I don't have any existing DF2014 save games, but I am looking forward to stories of fortresses grinding to a halt because of something to do with old hauling jobs. :allears:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Nietzschean posted:

:siren: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.20 (Decemeber 18, 2014). :siren:

:vince:

All hail the great and powerful Toady One!

:worship:

----

For content...

Nietzschean posted:

I don't have any existing DF2014 save games

I do, but I was just about to try and rig up a pumpstack over 100 z-levels high for magma, despite the fact that I haven't even been getting attacked in any fashion that would require better armor. So... :shrug:

Downloading now.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 19, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magma is always the :psydwarf: answer even when there is no question.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
From the Twitter: "One small step towards the sensible dwarf."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm actually going to download this and give it a whirl tonight. Haven't touched DF in I don't even know how long, this is craziness.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Alehkhs posted:

I do, but I was just about to try and rig up a pumpstack over 100 z-levels high for magma, despite the fact that I haven't even been getting attacked in any fashion that would require better armor. So... :shrug:

Downloading now.

I really hate pump stacks. Just let me build one (1) pump and have the power requirements increase the further down the pipe goes, that way I don't have to rip the loving thing up because I accidentally put one of the pumps backwards or whatever.

I built one massive 100-level pumpstack to prove I could do it, and now every game since then I just spawn my own magma pool because gently caress doing that twice.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

I really hate pump stacks. Just let me build one (1) pump and have the power requirements increase the further down the pipe goes, that way I don't have to rip the loving thing up because I accidentally put one of the pumps backwards or whatever.

I built one massive 100-level pumpstack to prove I could do it, and now every game since then I just spawn my own magma pool because gently caress doing that twice.

That would be pretty cool. There could be a whole plumbing mechanic with pipe sections :spergin:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gently caress no do NOT give magma crabs another path of entry.

Urist interrupts rest : Hit by spinning basalt.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 19, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pump stacks are kind of cool in that DF pumps aren't reciprocating pumps like we tend to think about when we picture old-timey pumps, they're incredibly simple screw pumps that draw fluid from a lower basin to a basin one z-level higher. A giant stack of Archimedes Screws going back and forth down to the magma is dorfy as gently caress.

It's not very efficient, though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

As an intolerable non-df-hack using grog, I'm incredibly pleased with this new automining designation. Or I was until a webbing beast murdered everyone. Oh well, on to the next one.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hooray, I was wrong!!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
The new prioritised designations system is really good to use. I can sit back and know my miners aren't making a hash of things and I don't need to do so much on the spot micromanagement in the opening stages of a fort (Which is where I usually lose interest). I had a bunch of miners cut the entrance, then mine out each stockpile in sequence and complete the hallway when they were done.

Of course, if I had paid more attention to the embark screen, I would have known my embark had no trees and that I should bring some bloody wood. I now have 24 dwarves hot bunking with three beds and my dogs have been kicked to death by angry Yaks. Need to get to the caverns soon.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PublicOpinion posted:

As an intolerable non-df-hack using grog, I'm incredibly pleased with this new automining designation. Or I was until a webbing beast murdered everyone. Oh well, on to the next one.

Not using dfhack makes you a grog now?

I find Dwarf Therapist to be a needless complication most of the time. what in god's name am I

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

atomicthumbs posted:

Not using dfhack makes you a grog now?

I find Dwarf Therapist to be a needless complication most of the time. what in god's name am I

Stockholm syndrome.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

correct and cool

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, the DFHack Dwarf Organizer is where it's at, no loving around with external windows that need deliberate refreshing

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've never made a pump stack and I'm scared. What's a good babby guide for flooding my fortress with magma?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

scamtank posted:

Yeah, the DFHack Dwarf Organizer is where it's at, no loving around with external windows that need deliberate refreshing

Can you change profession names from that screen? I like to use custom ones, but I couldn't figure it out last time I used it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hmm... not directly, but it's two keystrokes to the normal customization menu and it backs away gracefully to the Manipulator screen again.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

RedTonic posted:

I've never made a pump stack and I'm scared. What's a good babby guide for flooding my fortress with magma?

Pump stacks are much easier than they sound. The simplest pump stack involves plopping them one down on top of the other in a giant tower, alternating left/right (or up/down). You'll want to mine a straight shot downward using channels, so you can stack the impassable block of the pump on top of the impassable block of the previous pump, so they all share power, and you'll want a channel next to them on the side they draw FROM (which is the passable block) so they can scoop up fluid from the previous pump's level. I believe they'll work fine even if your arrangement is open, but I believe you get more efficiency if the fluid can't run down to a lower level.

I think you'll want to use magma-safe materials for this if you're pumping lava, and it's easy to get a hold of such if you have sand on your map, since glass is, surprisingly enough, magma-safe.

Personally, when I set up pump stacks, I'll frequently do something like:

code:
D = Doors
0 = Wall
xX = Pump pumping from left (west)
Xx = Pump pumping from right (east)
. = Channel
> = Downstair
< = Upstair

Bottom level:

0 DDD<0
0.xX  0

Bottom +1

0<DDD>0
0  Xx.0

That's probably a lot more complicated than it needs to be, but it lets me have full access while constructing the pumpstack and simplifies troubleshooting and construction. The doors retain any fluid that flows outward so that it doesn't just run back down the stairwells on the other side. Once all the pumps are going, it's inaccessible though, so if you need something that can be maintained in perpetuity you may want to remove the doors (it should still work without them, just less efficiently). Remember to channel under every X.

I'm going to feel stupid if I hosed up explaining this considering I built one of these like twenty z-levels high a couple of days ago.

E: And, oh yeah, you will need to power this monstrosity once it's all built. The simplest way if you're on a map with wind is to use windmills. Most maps do have wind, and you can build a Windmill by itself to see how much power each will generate. Your wind-power plant may end up occupying an entire outdoor pavilion all its own. To hook it all up, you can build a gearbox from the (t)mechanics menu on TOP of the impassible block of the highest pump, then connect it to your power plant using horizontal axles and more gearboxes. Your power plant can just be a fuckload of unsupported windmills built on top of a single gearbox each; they'll transmit their power generation to that gearbox, and if it's hooked up to other gearboxes and axles and screw-pumps, it'll share its power with all of them. All a gearbox or axle has to do to be hooked up to the system is to be touching adjacently gearbox-to-gearbox, or end-of-axle-to-gearbox.

If this is still intimidating, the wiki has an in-depth page on power ( http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Power ), and a maybe-too-much-information page on screw-pumps ( http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Screw_pump ) and there's several guides strewn across the relevant articles. There may be a better guide on there as well, though guides on that wiki aren't well-organised outside of individual articles for a given building.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 19, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pump stacks are less difficult, and more tedious.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've only gotten far enough to discover magma once. :eng99: The rest of the time the fort has a tantrum spiral first or an update comes out and I decide to make a more "efficient" fort in the latest release. I'll do it this time, I swear.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

scamtank posted:

Hmm... not directly, but it's two keystrokes to the normal customization menu and it backs away gracefully to the Manipulator screen again.

That's not too bad, then. I need to play around with it some more then.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
And then there's the magma piston - which is arguably an exploit of cave-in/liquid interaction, but is just so drat dwarfy that I hope Toady One officially makes it a thing when he does his cave-in rewrite.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't DF hack set up a thing where they'll set up tasks based on what dwarf is best for it? Won't that be like 100x more efficient with the job overhaul now? How do those two things interact now?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Considering how DFHack isn't compatible yet, we could speculate until judgment day. Chances are good they're just kicking each other in the shins.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Turns out 40.20 had some serious save-corrupting and crashing bugs that have been addressed with the fresh release of 40.21!

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

PublicOpinion posted:

Turns out 40.20 had some serious save-corrupting and crashing bugs that have been addressed with the fresh release of 40.21!

Somehow this could not be predicted with the addition of many new features.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Am I the only person having moods breaking? I've had two moods now in two different fortresses where the dwarf is unable to move on to collect their second component for the project. In this case he wants leather and blocks. I have tons of leather and twelve bins full of blocks of all stripes including wooden ones, but when he takes the leather to the workshop he just stands there with it in his inventory hauled, or if he does add it to the workshop, he still just stands there behaving the same way.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone know why I can't get the workflow front end to pop up in the latest LNP? It says the hotkey is alt+w but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Pickled Tink posted:

Am I the only person having moods breaking? I've had two moods now in two different fortresses where the dwarf is unable to move on to collect their second component for the project. In this case he wants leather and blocks. I have tons of leather and twelve bins full of blocks of all stripes including wooden ones, but when he takes the leather to the workshop he just stands there with it in his inventory hauled, or if he does add it to the workshop, he still just stands there behaving the same way.

I've had one mood work but it only needed a few items.

Then I had another mood that needs a bunch of items, he's gathered 4 of them and is just kind of waiting. I think he would have gathered everything or snapped by now if things were working, yeah.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone know why I can't get the workflow front end to pop up in the latest LNP? It says the hotkey is alt+w but it doesn't seem to do anything.

The LNP isn't yet updated. Windows/Mac versions are still 40.19. Only the Linux version is up to date. The dude who keeps it up to date may wait a few more days for bugfixes idk

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The last version I've played was before fruit collection was implemented. In the past, my main issue with DF was that any fortress I made would just overflow with food and booze. Has fruit made my bane even worse, or is it just a marginal addition to the economy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was playing 40.19 and not trying to use the latest DF version.