Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sparrow is still the best mail client for OS X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Does this also choke like all other email apps when working with large gmail accounts?

I don't know what's considered large for gmail, but my work account where I use it is sitting at 5 gigs at the moment and it's fine and zippy. There's a 30 day trial where you can check it out, I'm pretty sure.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

I believe it, but sadly it doesn't support exchange :'(

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I'm having sporadic performance problems with Windows 7 virtualized under VMWare Fusion 7 and Mavericks where it sometimes just freezes up for several seconds. This has happened with Adobe InCopy CC and Outlook 2013. My laptop is an Air with a Core i5 1.3GHz and 4 GB memory.

How much memory and how many cores should I dedicate to VMWare? The default is 1 GB memory and 1 core. Am I wrong to increase this to about two gigs and two cores?

How many resources does OS X need to function and to run programs? Are there any settings that make or break Fusion performance?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
It depends what programs you are running. Windows 7 would do much better with 2GB of RAM, but that only leaves 2GB for OSX. That's going to be cutting it close to have a browser full of tabs open, itunes playing, mail.app open, etc, along with VMWare.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nut Bunnies posted:

It hasn't had an update in over 2 years in the app store. It looks like yet another project that was left to rot on the vine after being acquired by Google.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Has anyone else had an issue with Safari 8 just not feeling like reloading some tabs after a restart? They'll stay blank and activity monitor says nothing is downloading, then eventually they'll be ok.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So flash version 16 just refuses to download entirely on my mac, always hanging at 33% in the installation process. Does anyone have a direct download link instead?

kyacker
Nov 17, 2003

ll klye baker. he is wife.
Has anyone had a chance to actually get Duet Display to download? If you haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure how you could have missed it with their media blitz, DuetDisplay is a OS X/iOS companion app that allows you to use your iPad/iPhone as a secondary display for your mac. Awesome for road warriors like me.

I bought it yesterday for $10 on sale and have yet to been able to download the actual server software for OS X as their box link has been shitcanned all day. If you happen to have the .dmg still (it's free) and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dante posted:

So flash version 16 just refuses to download entirely on my mac, always hanging at 33% in the installation process. Does anyone have a direct download link instead?

You mean for the offline/distributable version? They should all be here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

They talk a lot about having to have a distributable license, but I have no idea where, when (and if) that actually comes into play — I've been able to install from those packages, but I also have a CC license that might just let me do that anyway.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

kyacker posted:

Has anyone had a chance to actually get Duet Display to download? If you haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure how you could have missed it with their media blitz, DuetDisplay is a OS X/iOS companion app that allows you to use your iPad/iPhone as a secondary display for your mac. Awesome for road warriors like me.

I bought it yesterday for $10 on sale and have yet to been able to download the actual server software for OS X as their box link has been shitcanned all day. If you happen to have the .dmg still (it's free) and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it.

Downloaded it this morning. Its not bad but a little slow on my air 2 but very workable. It messed up the rendering in Safari and so for now I uninstalled the driver. Also, by default it set my primary display to be the iPad and I couldnt get the cursor on my mbr to show until I made the laptop the primary display.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

It hasn't had an update in over 2 years in the app store. It looks like yet another project that was left to rot on the vine after being acquired by Google.

I think the team is who made Inbox on iOS, but I forget where I read that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

maduin posted:

I think the team is who made Inbox on iOS, but I forget where I read that.
The product was acquired so they could put all the engineers on the GMail product experience, and Inbox was one part of that. Hopefully it was most of that, because GMail itself hasn't seen any user-visible improvements at all in close to 10 years except for Priority Inbox.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Misogynist posted:

The product was acquired so they could put all the engineers on the GMail product experience, and Inbox was one part of that. Hopefully it was most of that, because GMail itself hasn't seen any user-visible improvements at all in close to 10 years except for Priority Inbox.

You mean aside from the email sorting categories (primary, promotions, updates, etc), the content recognition that brings up links to track shipments, check in on flights, and now automatic calendar event creation?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiki posted:

You mean aside from the email sorting categories (primary, promotions, updates, etc), the content recognition that brings up links to track shipments, check in on flights, and now automatic calendar event creation?

Truly, the fruits of a the last decade are bountiful beyond measure.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiki posted:

Kitchen gadgets that do nothing to address the fundamental workflow problems with the GMail web client, but okay, in total these enhancements have saved me literal minutes of time by making me not have to click the link in the email I already have open.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Which twitter app for OSX is the best? My main complaint is the twitter web page uses a ton of energy, seems to be a bloated mess of JavaScript and I'm tired of it cutting my battery life in half while open all day, anything a bit more efficient out there?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tweetbot is good but the developer seems to ignore everything except the iPhone version these days. I think the official Twitter app from the store is decent as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

Tweetbot is good but the developer seems to ignore everything except the iPhone version these days. I think the official Twitter app from the store is decent as well.

Yeah, Tweetbot is nice because it will sync with the iOS versions as far as the timeline goes. It's just a shame it seems to be getting ignored lately.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Twitterrific is excellent, but it's also feeling a bit ignored compared to the iOS version these days. Still vastly preferable to the web site, though.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

flosofl posted:

Yeah, Tweetbot is nice because it will sync with the iOS versions as far as the timeline goes. It's just a shame it seems to be getting ignored lately.

That seems to be Tapbots' MO unfortunately, they design great apps and then seem to abandon them. Calcbot and Convertbot still don't support the iPhone 5 resolution, Tweetbot for iPad hasn't had an iOS 7 update, now Tweetbot for OSX looks a bit out of place on Yosemite..

I use Tweetbot daily across all three platforms and love it, some updates would be nice but it's worth it for the timeline sync alone.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Ninja Rope posted:

It depends what programs you are running. Windows 7 would do much better with 2GB of RAM, but that only leaves 2GB for OSX. That's going to be cutting it close to have a browser full of tabs open, itunes playing, mail.app open, etc, along with VMWare.
Thanks. I settled on about 1.7 GB for Windows and I'll see where that takes me.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

cbirdsong posted:

Twitterrific is excellent, but it's also feeling a bit ignored compared to the iOS version these days. Still vastly preferable to the web site, though.

If Twitterrific would update their UI for the OS X version from the ancient version they have in the app store, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Twitterrific on the iPhone is just slick.

I agree with other posters - Tweetbot's timeline synching between devices keeps me there. I know they're only a two-man shop, but there's still no Yosemite refresh 3 months after launch, and they put out an OS X version of Calcbot first? C'mon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MrMoo posted:

I'd like to see more detail on an app that some how forces a maximum minor version. Major versions are acceptable, that is the entire point.

This is from a couple of pages ago, but the usual problem is that Oracle has added additional security fixes / blocks in minor versions. If you have an older app that isn't being updated, it may not be runnable at all on a newer version.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, the latest Java 7 patch forced things to need security manifests, amongst other things. God help you if your certificate expires.

You can bypass all of this by putting an exception URL in the Java system preferences panel for the applet. You can also turn down the security slider, though that is not as effective as it used to be.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.

kyacker posted:

Came as a zip with a .dmg inside:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1bfd11og4fkar8/DuetDisplay.zip?dl=0

Switched it to Retina mode and works really well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone have this issue with Steam on a retina macbook? Can't find anything searching Google.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steam is just crap. I'm not convinced that anyone at Valve actually does work any more.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

binarysmurf posted:

If Twitterrific would update their UI for the OS X version from the ancient version they have in the app store, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Twitterrific on the iPhone is just slick.

I agree with other posters - Tweetbot's timeline synching between devices keeps me there. I know they're only a two-man shop, but there's still no Yosemite refresh 3 months after launch, and they put out an OS X version of Calcbot first? C'mon.

Over the last few years, Twitter has made a lot of hostile moves toward third party app developers. Hence the stagnation. It's really Twitter's fault, and they're still doing stupid poo poo, like announcing a new historical search feature with no planned API.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, a friend was playing around with a Twitter API key, and decided to see what he could poke at by swiping the API key from the official Android app. Turns out that some apps are much more privileged with what they can access through the API.

http://hastebin.com/ahunodiwex.vbs, for instance.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Mail for whatever reason started to work again for my gmail accounts. I don't know if that was in the 10.10.2 beta or not, though.

Related note, does anybody know how to make it so Mail discards saved emails from the computer without discarding them from the internet? I have thousands of unread emails that I don't want to mark as read but also don't want on my computer. I'm pretty certain Mail doesn't keep all of those emails but at this point I'm really not sure.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

It was an acquihire with no intention of continuing development. I still remember the rage I felt when I got that announcement email.

On a similar note, Twitter apps outside the iPhone are going to languish since it doesn't make much sense to heavily pour resources in. Twitter's token cap has destroyed any incentive to quickly support third party apps. With that said, Tapbots is working on an iPad update. No word on the Mac version, but it works very well despite looking a bit out of place.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 22, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nut Bunnies posted:

It was an acquihire with no intention of continuing development. I still remember the rage I felt when I got that announcement email.

I can understand that. What seems particularly lovely is keeping it available on the app store for purchase when there is no intention of maintaining it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

carry on then posted:

Anyone have this issue with Steam on a retina macbook? Can't find anything searching Google.
Mine isn't doing that, but I have a slew of other problems with the main store page, especially when its formatted for the big sale days. Both iOS and OSX versions of steam are so busted :smith:.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Nut Bunnies posted:

No word on the Mac version, but it works very well despite looking a bit out of place.

I've had several instances of UI juddering on 10.10. Also occasional SBBODs. Tapbots are "working on it".

Not the end of the world, I know, but their early stuff was such high quality.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Weird obscure question: in an number of applications, particularly editors, I seem to continually somehow shift the view inside the window so the lefthand side is hidden. For example, it's just happened to me in Sublime Text, hiding the several leftmost columns of chars. This seems to happen even if I widen the window. It can be fixed easily of course by just scrolling back, but it interrupts my flow. Am I hitting some shortcut or accidentally using a mouse action that I don't know of?

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
I'm in the process of switching to OSX. Except I'm an IT guy and I've been using Office, Outlook, and Exchange forever. So I keep all my contacts in my Exchange Online (Office 365) account. I've discovered that Exchange Online cannot sync with the Contacts application in Yosemite 10.10.1 and 10.10.2 beta. Which is pretty much driving me crazy and I've had to resort to manually copying my contacts into iCloud for right now. There's a lovely workaround involving the OWA app for the iPhone but it only allows you to sync the main Contacts folder on your account. I have filed a report using the Feedback Assitant.

On the plus side, MBPr is the best notebook I've ever owned.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

jmu posted:

I'm in the process of switching to OSX. Except I'm an IT guy and I've been using Office, Outlook, and Exchange forever. So I keep all my contacts in my Exchange Online (Office 365) account. I've discovered that Exchange Online cannot sync with the Contacts application in Yosemite 10.10.1 and 10.10.2 beta. Which is pretty much driving me crazy and I've had to resort to manually copying my contacts into iCloud for right now. There's a lovely workaround involving the OWA app for the iPhone but it only allows you to sync the main Contacts folder on your account. I have filed a report using the Feedback Assitant.

On the plus side, MBPr is the best notebook I've ever owned.

I recall reading that Microsoft recently released a new version of Outlook for Mac that may help with your woes?

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Unfortunately unless there's a way to have the contacts from Outlook show up in the Contacts app, which I tried to figure out briefly, it doesn't help :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

shodanjr_gr posted:

I recall reading that Microsoft recently released a new version of Outlook for Mac that may help with your woes?

You can only get this new version of Outlook Mac if you're an Office 365 subscriber..