Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Not sure where else to ask this; is "Fingers of the Gods" by Graham Hancock a reputable book? It's pre-history so I know there will be some speculation, but I want to make sure it's at least based in some evidence and not some crackpot's ramblings before I buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Not sure where else to ask this; is "Fingers of the Gods" by Graham Hancock a reputable book? It's pre-history so I know there will be some speculation, but I want to make sure it's at least based in some evidence and not some crackpot's ramblings before I buy it.

Haven't read it, but am inclined to say no.

quote:

Fingerprints of the Gods: The Evidence of Earth's Lost Civilization is a book first published in 1995 by Graham Hancock, in which he echoes 19th century writer Ignatius Donnelly, author of Atlantis: The Antediluvian World (1882), in contending that some previously enigmatic ancient but highly advanced civilization had existed in prehistory, one which served as the common progenitor civilization to all subsequent known ancient historical ones. Supposedly, sometime around the end of the last Ice Age this civilization ended in cataclysm,[1] but passed on to its inheritors profound knowledge of such things as astronomy, architecture, and mathematics. Most of his claims are based on the idea that mainstream interpretations of archaeological evidence are flawed or incomplete.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's basically crazy bullshit about Atlantis one step above hollow-Earth lizardman theories.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Ah, my crackpot meter is still working pretty decently then, because it was ringing some alarms. Thought I'd ask though since it'd be an interesting theory if there were actual evidence to support it. Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was a movie that came out earlier this year. I think the concept was something about rich guys paying people to do hosed up poo poo. It was starring an actor who plays someones sleazy friend in another movie and I think he's always wearing cowboy hats and bolo ties in other movies he's in. I can't remember what any of the movies are though. Does this ring a bell for anyone.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ah, my crackpot meter is still working pretty decently then, because it was ringing some alarms. Thought I'd ask though since it'd be an interesting theory if there were actual evidence to support it. Thanks!

It sounds pretty entertaining though, in an insane sort of way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The title also sounds a bit like "Chariots of the Gods," which is about ancient alien astronauts giving us technology.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

There was a movie that came out earlier this year. I think the concept was something about rich guys paying people to do hosed up poo poo. It was starring an actor who plays someones sleazy friend in another movie and I think he's always wearing cowboy hats and bolo ties in other movies he's in. I can't remember what any of the movies are though. Does this ring a bell for anyone.

Cheap Thrills?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheap_Thrills_%28film%29

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Even if it was there is just so much that changed about our views on pre-history in the past 20 years, you better off checking science news or something. Stuff like the Göbekli Tepe is pretty recent for example. Also that thing about human language existing in the current complexity since 70k years ago (I can't seem to find the news about this for more details but I recall reading about it).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

whats the saying for sticking with something that is bad for you because you have/see no other options

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Davincie posted:

whats the saying for sticking with something that is bad for you because you have/see no other options

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't"?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that works, thanks

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Davincie posted:

Marriage

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

Between a rock and a hard place is a similar idiom.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

Grad school.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Davincie posted:

Hobson's choice?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

Democracy.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Irritated Goat posted:

My current family practice doctor is pretty solidly booked up. I usually don't see her for 6 months or more for check-ups. With some of my health issues, I'm starting to feel like this is a problem. I'd like to find a better doctor but not really sure where to start. Are there any reputable sites for reviews or is it going to be just a try every doctor situation?

https://www.healthgrades.com should be able to search by insurance and geography and provider and have reviews/ratings

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Markus Persson (Notch of Minecraft fame) just bought a house in LA. Specifically, this house. Is this the house that was used for Gordon Bombay in The Mighty Ducks 2? Sadly, my only copy of the movie is (a) on VHS, and (b) more than two hours away from me right now.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Davincie posted:

Facebook. (tunnel vision maybe?)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup. Thanks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grundulum posted:

Markus Persson (Notch of Minecraft fame) just bought a house in LA. Specifically, this house. Is this the house that was used for Gordon Bombay in The Mighty Ducks 2? Sadly, my only copy of the movie is (a) on VHS, and (b) more than two hours away from me right now.

It'd be hard to tell, but there are a lot of similar-styled homes in that area, and they all frequently end up in movies and TV shows and video games when you want to have "fancy rear end house above LA".

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
What's considered a table-breaking image here, these days? Screen resolutions have improved a lot since I bought my account.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raimundus posted:

What's considered a table-breaking image here, these days? Screen resolutions have improved a lot since I bought my account.

If you think something might be, just put it in timg tags instead. Neatly avoids any problems.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Alternatively, post giant images until someone reports you for it and a mod edits it or probates you for it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What's the go-to internet place for custom screenprinted items these days? Specifically an apron?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Just one? You don't want screenprinting, you want direct-to-garment (DTG) printing. Search Yelp for something in your neighborhood.

Even if you were in fact screenprinting... open the yellow pages. Support a local business. You won't spend much more and it makes a huge difference for your local economy.

Edit: the shipping will gently caress you. Buy from somewhere local.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 20, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Notch question reminded me of something I've been wondering for a while. How is Minecraft worth 2 billion dollars? I know it's really popular, but I report I heard said it's made something like 500 million dollars and I'm guessing it's already made 90% of it's money since it was released on just about every platform years before Microsoft bought Mojang. So how are they hoping to make that money back? Are they hoping they can make a sequel that is the most successful game of all time or hoping to sell DLC for 20 years? I just don't understand how that was a good investment.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

NESguerilla posted:

The Notch question reminded me of something I've been wondering for a while. How is Minecraft worth 2 billion dollars? I know it's really popular, but I report I heard said it's made something like 500 million dollars and I'm guessing it's already made 90% of it's money since it was released on just about every platform years before Microsoft bought Mojang. So how are they hoping to make that money back? Are they hoping they can make a sequel that is the most successful game of all time or hoping to sell DLC for 20 years? I just don't understand how that was a good investment.

It is 'worth' 2 billion dollars because someone wants to pay 2 billion dollars for it. That's basicaly it.

I don't think anyone knows the exact gameplan Microsoft has to earn it back but presumably they have at least somewhat of a plan. There's an upcoming Telltale game with Minecraft so that is likely a first step. Whether they'll successfully earn it all back with profit or crash and burn is anyone's guess at this time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Raimundus posted:

Roughly anything over a thousand pixels wide. Screen resolutions have improved, but laptop manufacturers insist on trying to peddle 1366x768 screens for some reason. Subtract the column with the avatars, the scrollbar of your browser, css padding settings and possibly the left column ad for not logged in users (if that's still a thing?) and going over a thousand might get you comments.

The rule used to be 800, I suppose when 1024x786 was the more common resolution.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Grundulum posted:

According to the link in your post, the construction was completed in September of this year. Therefore I would conclude that it was not involved in the filming of The Mighty Ducks 2, which was released in 1994.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

The Notch question reminded me of something I've been wondering for a while. How is Minecraft worth 2 billion dollars? I know it's really popular, but I report I heard said it's made something like 500 million dollars and I'm guessing it's already made 90% of it's money since it was released on just about every platform years before Microsoft bought Mojang.

They didn't just buy the game, they bought the intellectual property.

Right now there are kids all over the world dressing up as creepers on Holloween or making zombie plush toys or whatever, and Mojang I'm pretty sure don't really give a poo poo - if anything they just find it endearing.

Now that MS owns it, however, they can sell a license to make Officially Licensed creeper costumes to be sold in mass quantities everywhere in the world, start new lines of plastic and plush toys, make some horrible cartoon tv show out of it to sell to a network - there are lots of ways to earn a bunch of money making cheap vaguely Minecraft related *stuff* instead of spending time and money developing the game for more platforms, and since the game is hugely popular with young kids that's a pretty good bet as to what they'll do.

And since, unlike Mojang, Microsoft has literal armies of lawyers, they can be a lot more aggressive about shutting down lots of the unofficial Minecraft-themed stuff that people already make.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 20, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah walk around the kids clothing department of target for a bit, you'll see about 20% of everything there has some sort of minecraft print on it. They have a whole aisle in the toy section dedicated to minecraft toys. It's a merchandising juggernaut that's just getting started and if they just follow the Disney model they can introduce a new character or tool in the game and then make hundreds of millions of dollars merchandising it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

We recently moved into a new (for us) home. The previous owners installed a house-wide intercom/radio system. This is not high tech stuff, it only plays AM/FM, but we found it surprisingly cool to be able to have the radio on throughout the house.

Here's what I want to do. I've opened up the main unit and found that it has an auxiliary input, a single RCA jack. I want to mount a small tablet on top of the main unit so that I can feed any audio I want from our network. Linking the audio is obviously no big deal, just a 3.5mm to RCA cable. But supplying power is a different matter. This is the connection between the house power and the base unit for the system:

Obviously I need two things: some kind of splitter or Y cable to supply both the base unit and the tablet, and an adapter that would allow me to connect the standard power cord from the tablet. I've searched for them, but I can't find anything.

My question: Do these exist, what am I looking for?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The $500 Million was on game sales alone, minecraft has officially branded toys, costumes, and T-shirts. Those actually make more money then the game sales because parents are buying their kids $100+ worth of Minecraft merch. It's pretty big.

Microsoft could also ask for all the revenue from Youtube ad's on Minecraft let's play, which would re-coup a huge amount as well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

We recently moved into a new (for us) home. The previous owners installed a house-wide intercom/radio system. This is not high tech stuff, it only plays AM/FM, but we found it surprisingly cool to be able to have the radio on throughout the house.

Here's what I want to do. I've opened up the main unit and found that it has an auxiliary input, a single RCA jack. I want to mount a small tablet on top of the main unit so that I can feed any audio I want from our network. Linking the audio is obviously no big deal, just a 3.5mm to RCA cable. But supplying power is a different matter. This is the connection between the house power and the base unit for the system:

Obviously I need two things: some kind of splitter or Y cable to supply both the base unit and the tablet, and an adapter that would allow me to connect the standard power cord from the tablet. I've searched for them, but I can't find anything.

My question: Do these exist, what am I looking for?

Personally I'd remove the connector and put in a terminal strip, it'd then be trivial to add more connections, rather than trying to track down a particular obscure connector.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cakefool posted:

Personally I'd remove the connector and put in a terminal strip, it'd then be trivial to add more connections, rather than trying to track down a particular obscure connector.

Forgive me for the stupid follow up questions, but I'm pretty ignorant of this stuff.

Tell me if this is right: I'd take to white connectors off the two sets of wires and connect them to a terminal strip. Then I'd connect the wires from the power cord of the tablet. Would I literally just chop the plug off of the power cord of the tablet?

Thanks for the reply.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

DNova posted:

According to the link in your post, the construction was completed in September of this year. Therefore I would conclude that it was not involved in the filming of The Mighty Ducks 2, which was released in 1994.

Derp. Thanks. :downs:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Forgive me for the stupid follow up questions, but I'm pretty ignorant of this stuff.

Tell me if this is right: I'd take to white connectors off the two sets of wires and connect them to a terminal strip. Then I'd connect the wires from the power cord of the tablet. Would I literally just chop the plug off of the power cord of the tablet?

Thanks for the reply.

Exactly that. Here in the UK the tablet plug would contain a fuse, so I'd put a fuse inline with the positive feed for the tablet as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
*local politics* Do you have to report donating materials and signs to a local (town, no state/federal) political campaign? Would like to help buy some signs and other little things for a local campaign but do not want my name listed on any filings. No money or cash will be donated - only supplies or time putting up the support signs, etc. All things I found more relate to federal requirements of political campaigns and some things from the state saying "unlimited contributions" are allowed, but noting more than $100 in cash has to be listed in finance reports.