Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How could Michigan somehow drop like 1.5 times the next highest college coaches salary? The whole leak seems like a really transparent way to drive up Harbaugh's price to NFL teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Michigan has poo poo tons of money and they're desperate after letting the program go to hell the last decade? This isn't complicated.

Original terms (I think reported by Sam Webb) were 8 years, same money, so it'd be $6 million/year.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The money is there with the amount of cash that the Big Ten Network pumps into each school. I imagine there would be backlash from some people, but getting beat by OSU every year probably limits their outrage.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Karmalaa70 posted:

Michigan has poo poo tons of money and they're desperate after letting the program go to hell the last decade? This isn't complicated.

Original terms (I think reported by Sam Webb) were 8 years, same money, so it'd be $6 million/year.

As I recall, Sam heard $49M from one source and 6 years from another, and he combined them himself. 8 years may be the actual offer they put together.

The $49M probably includes all possible bonuses and buyouts, as well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

God please let Michigan hire Schiano now.

The collective sigh of disappointment might refreeze the arctic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Deteriorata posted:

It means Bruce Feldman doesn't actually know anything and is trying to pretend he does. If he actually knew the contract terms he would have reported them long ago.

Ahh yes, one of the most respected reporters in the industry doesn't know anything and is pretending ebcause ~Michigan~

Christ the complex you have.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ahh yes, one of the most respected reporters in the industry doesn't know anything and is pretending ebcause ~Michigan~

Christ the complex you have.

Yeah, he's really plugged into what's happening. :rolleyes:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, he's really plugged into what's happening. :rolleyes:

It's kind of sad to see an ostensibly good poster wallow in denial because he's too deep into the kool-aid.

You're basically at the point where you're denying anything that might possibly be negative and swallowing whole anything that isn't, regardless of the source. Like seriously, you're trying to trash Fieldman? Take a really deep breath.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2014

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

God please let Michigan hire Schiano now.

The collective sigh of disappointment might refreeze the arctic.

You've confused "collective sigh of disappointment" with "thump from the rope catching your neck"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's kind of sad to see an ostensibly good poster wallow in denial because he's too deep into the kool-aid.

You're basically at the point where you're denying anything that might possibly be negative and swallowing whole anything that isn't, regardless of the source. Like seriously, you're trying to trash Fieldman? Take a really deep breath.

I'm not making GBS threads on Feldman generally, but in this specific instance he got caught with his pants down. Nobody in the national media saw it coming. Chiming in with "that's probably too high" is an educated guess on his part because if he knew the actual numbers he would print them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on Feldman generally, but in this specific instance he got caught with his pants down. Nobody in the national media saw it coming. Chiming in with "that's probably too high" is an educated guess on his part because if he knew the actual numbers he would print them.

You're imagining things now on a backwards bike. Seriously.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You're imagining things now on a backwards bike. Seriously.

I'm just enjoying the roller coaster, man. I can live with being wrong.

Your deep concern is touching.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
vv Good point.

I think that Feldman is off-base, and it has nothing to do with his pessimism about the deal. I just don't think Schiano warrants a "close look" from literally any power conference college team at this point.

Look, Pitt is considering hiring him, and the Pitt fans don't like it. I understand Michigan is no longer a coveted job, but should Michigan really be considering a coach Pitt doesn't feel has the requisite upside to lead their program?

Feces Starship fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 19, 2014

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

You're really helping

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Feces Starship posted:

"OH MICHIGAN, BEAUTIFUL MICHIGAN, IF JAMES HARBAUGH SHALT NOT RETURN TO HIS HOME (ALTHOUGH T'IS CERTAIN HE SHALL) THEN PERHAPS I SHALL HAVE A LESSER MAN OF STILL MIDD'LING HONOUR, SUCH AS A BELICHICK OR, WITH HESITATION, A ROBERT C. STOOPS"

"hahahahaha michogan should hire a peace of poop as a hed couch becueze it pure doody!!!!"

Great thread guys.

You.......you okay bro?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

He edited it but he's right about the general level of discourse in this thread at the moment.

Which, I guess I'm glad it's all contained here and not wrecking 3 other threads.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
Chatsports is saying that Harbaugh will accept the deal.

So, basically, the dream is dead. Pack it in, boys.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

loving finally.

There was the report we were all waiting on.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

Chatsports is saying that Harbaugh will accept the deal.

So, basically, the dream is dead. Pack it in, boys.

At least link the article.

I know it's Chat Sports, but one of his two sources is clearly Andy Moeller, whom we know has been leaking lots of stuff. Their summary seems to be pretty accurate from what I have been following.

The "barring a last minute change of heart" has been the standard caveat to all of this. If it's all bullshit we'll know soon enough.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deteriorata posted:

At least link the article.

I know it's Chat Sports, but one of his two sources is clearly Andy Moeller, whom we know has been leaking lots of stuff. Their summary seems to be pretty accurate from what I have been following.

The "barring a last minute change of heart" has been the standard caveat to all of this. If it's all bullshit we'll know soon enough.

Andy Moeller has confirmed that Jim will take the deal, says Michigan insider SomethingAwful forums poster AsInHowe

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
I want it to be true as much as the next insane person, but nothing on Chatsports has ever been scooped, nor will it ever. They may rehash information that has been posted already on premium sites, but that's about it.

It's a clickbait cash-and-grab bullshit mongering blog, and has 0 validity.

But, it completes the ritual of the coaching search. So far we've had: high powered NFL coach rumored, a specific deal offered, a housing search in Ann Arbor, a coach's son being enrolled in the school of choice, a wife happy to move to a new environment, and a chatsports article claiming everything is signed and sealed (except maybe not...but probably!).

Summon the meteors.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
https://twitter.com/ScottPaterno/status/545795451707207680

quote:

So wait, Michigan is hiring a guy who called its academics a joke for $8m+ a year and WE had the football crazy culture problem?

ugh

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

I want it to be true as much as the next insane person, but nothing on Chatsports has ever been scooped, nor will it ever. They may rehash information that has been posted already on premium sites, but that's about it.

It's a clickbait cash-and-grab bullshit mongering blog, and has 0 validity.

But, it completes the ritual of the coaching search. So far we've had: high powered NFL coach rumored, a specific deal offered, a housing search in Ann Arbor, a coach's son being enrolled in the school of choice, a wife happy to move to a new environment, and a chatsports article claiming everything is signed and sealed (except maybe not...but probably!).

Summon the meteors.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm doubting there's any actual original reporting in that and it seems to have been gleaned off of message boards, which is why it matches so well. It's cleverly written to hide that on first reading, though, so props to Mack Ferguson, whoever the hell he is.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Shut up, Scott Paterno

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

loving lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ugh that guy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
...and he's doubling down on his comments.

PUNCH HIM, BRIAN

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I still can't believe Steven Ross gave Michigan $200M then tried to ask the city of Miami to cover $350M for stadium upgrades.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I still can't believe Steven Ross gave Michigan $200M then tried to ask the city of Miami to cover $350M for stadium upgrades.

He's up to 300 million now. NFL stadiums receiving public financing outside of Green Bay, is incredibly shady.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mykkel posted:

He's up to 300 million now. NFL stadiums receiving public financing outside of Green Bay, is incredibly shady.

I am shocked a real estate developer from South Florida would ever do anything shady!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think technically the $200 million he donated to Michigan was roughly the same amount he was going to invest in the Dolphins stadium renovation deal, and happened only after they declined to vote on it. That poo poo was burning a whole in his pocket either way, apparently.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Michigan gonna pay Harbaugh a million bucks per win.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

you probably don't need any more evidence that Jim Harbaugh is loving crazy, but just in case you do...

quote:

For instance, one of the activities at Harbaugh's recent bachelor party (he's been married twice) was laser tag. Everyone signed up for a name on an electronic scoresheet. He chose "Captain Comeback," an homage to his playing days as an NFL quarterback. And from there, everyone went to work.

When the fake smoke cleared and the game wrapped, it was revealed that Captain Comeback recorded more "kills" than anyone else in the party. Harbaugh won. Because he always wins. But upon further examination of where each person's shots came from, it became clear why he won in such a landslide.

"All his shots came against this 10-year-old kid," laughs Eric Bakhtiari, who played for Harbaugh in college and in the NFL with the 49ers. "He just sat there, hunting this 10-year-old kid so he could win.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

you probably don't need any more evidence that Jim Harbaugh is loving crazy, but just in case you do...

This is a great story.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Honestly there is no better job for an egotistical rear end in a top hat than running a college football team. He'll just need an AD that stays out of the way.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

DJExile posted:

Jim Harbaugh owns.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

10 year old kid = Big Ten? :tinfoil:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
So what you're saying is Harbaugh relies on beating weak OOC opponents

Get that man into the SEC

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What is a 10 year old kid doing at a bachelor party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nachos posted:

What is a 10 year old kid doing at a bachelor party?

I would assume he wasn't married.

• Locked thread