Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

Ed would pretty resoundingly whup his rear end, right?

He's been training BJJ under Rorion Gracie for 22 years now, and got his black belt in 2007. Dude takes it seriously. I dunno about "resoundingly whup his rear end" but there's no way Punk competes with Ed in any technical sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Log posted:

Ed would pretty resoundingly whup his rear end, right?

If he wasn't in his late 60s, sure. Even with his years of training he'd be an old man with a full time acting schedule going into a fight with a guy 30 years young who will be coming off a full MMA training camp.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
It is good how people are rationalizing that CM Punk will have better training so he has a good chance to beat his first opponent, because they're discounting the fact that his first opponent will probably have natural ability and also a non-old body. I think if we were anywhere but the internet forumsphere that in an average group of 18-31 year old males, probably half could beat up CM Punk.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Any 18 year old kid could walk to into a gym and say I cant afford to pay and mop the gym mats to train as much as CM Punk

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bundt Cake posted:

It is good how people are rationalizing that CM Punk will have better training so he has a good chance to beat his first opponent, because they're discounting the fact that his first opponent will probably have natural ability and also a non-old body. I think if we were anywhere but the internet forumsphere that in an average group of 18-31 year old males, probably half could beat up CM Punk.

Chick Magnet Punk vs Mage of Blackest Night

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Any 18 year old kid could walk to into a gym and say I cant afford to pay and mop the gym mats to train as much as CM Punk

they could train as much as he already has for sure. but the theory is that he will be able to do the bj penn type thing where he hires coaches to train him full time, instead of training part time like anyone else who isn't a pro fighter

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

"It is not truth that matters, but victory."
- Adolf Hitler

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

If he wasn't in his late 60s, sure. Even with his years of training he'd be an old man with a full time acting schedule going into a fight with a guy 30 years young who will be coming off a full MMA training camp.

A full-time schedule of shooting for Modern Family is like 90 days/year (and it's hardly grueling stunt work or anything), and he doesn't do much else outside of that. I don't know if O'Neill would necessarily win a fight with Punk but he'd be more than competitive, especially with his size advantage. I don't think Punk has any method of getting a guy to the ground whatsoever, even if we want to allow that he could do something with his opponent once he gets there.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'd rather it be a BJJ/grappling match because old dudes getting punched is said, but that would be cool.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Punk is training with the Gracies, a Brazilian single is always an option.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
he's going to get punched in the face and fall down. then not get back up for awhile. gonna be fun

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hopefully its all a joke and CM Punk does a clothesline and an elbow drop on the guy who flops and twitches all his limbs when hit and Joe Rogan goes Gotcha

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

he's going to get punched in the face and fall down. then not get back up for awhile. gonna be fun

I'm convinced that there's no result (assuming Punk makes it through camp) that won't be hilarious.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LobsterMobster posted:

Chick Magnet Punk vs Mage of Blackest Night

mobn had more competitive experience. He wouldnt even have to take his glasses off.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bundt Cake posted:

Hopefully its all a joke and CM Punk does a clothesline and an elbow drop on the guy who flops and twitches all his limbs when hit and Joe Rogan goes Gotcha

A long con prank on Joe Rogan is the funniest possible outcome, so it will happen.

Goldie will call the whole thing straight because he doesn't know any better. Punk might even hit a Turk to Sleep.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bundt Cake posted:

A giant "IT'S A WORK!!" banner unfurls from the rafters, confetti rains down as Hogan just stands in the audience, smiling and nodding slowly

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So how much money do I bet on CM Punk?

All of it? Ok.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

While it is entirely possible, even likely, that Punk loses because he is 37 years old, the level to which people think he is a weak, inept loser is shameful.

That said, Punk gonna win with a flying knee into bulldog followers by a Go to Sleep for the no victory.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

While it is entirely possible, even likely, that Punk loses because he is 37 years old, the level to which people think he is a weak, inept loser is shameful.

That said, Punk gonna win with a flying knee into bulldog followers by a Go to Sleep for the no victory.

i htink you are mischaracterizing or at least misunderstanding what everyone is saying

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cams posted:

Nobody said weak inept loser tho? Mostly we were saying the first bit.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Nobody said weak inept loser tho? Mostly we were saying the first bit.

he posted basically the same thing like 7 times in this thread, likely due to mental illness

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Punk should face Mark Hunt.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

i htink you are mischaracterizing or at least misunderstanding what everyone is saying
people are proposing that he would lose to ed o'neil and posters in this thread

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

he posted basically the same thing like 7 times in this thread, likely due to mental illness

Post history ctrl f the level to which

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Post history ctrl f the level to which
this part is true though i love that phrase

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

people are proposing that he would lose to ed o'neil and posters in this thread

some of the posters in this thread have had amateur fights, and some have had pro fights

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

some of the posters in this thread have had amateur fights, and some have had pro fights
that's cool and i still think people think way too little of the athletic capabilities of cm punk

of whom i am like the biggest fan in the world but that has nothing to do with it obviously

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i don't think ed o'neill, aged 68, would be fighting anyone

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

that's cool and i still think people think way too little of the athletic capabilities of cm punk

of whom i am like the biggest fan in the world but that has nothing to do with it obviously

i'm not sure i understand what you mean by athletic capabilities

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It was cool when stone cold Steve Austin smashed beers and threw them around and drank them and rode a 4-wheeler into the wrestling ring. But not as cool as the straight edge wrestler

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
cams have you ever previously watched mma, or anything similar?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

david carmichael posted:

He's probably watched Brawl 4 All.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael you are really taking personally my assertion that cm punk will not die in the octagon

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

david carmichael you are really taking personally my assertion that cm punk will not die in the octagon

huh? that's not what you said. i'm trying to understand what you are getting at.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

huh? that's not what you said. i'm trying to understand what you are getting at.
i said that i think people in this thread are vastly underestimating what he can do

it's a really simple concept

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

cams posted:

i said that i think people in this thread are vastly underestimating what he can do

it's a really simple concept

so what do you think he can do, that other people thinks he can't? like what part of his skill set are we underestimating

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The level to which people think CM Punk isn't a good fighter is insane. It's off the charts even. It's... no this can't be right. This CAN'T be an accurate reading! It's.... over...9...*static*

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

so what do you think he can do, that other people think he can't? like what part of his skill set are we underestimating

He's never drank a beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The level to which people think CM Punk isn't a good fighter is insane. It's off the charts even. It's... no this can't be right. This CAN'T be an accurate reading! It's.... over...9...*static*
great joke

• Locked thread