Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Stannis gonna eat Ser Pounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
This three eyed raven ad promotion is pretty terrible. Just work on the trailer, HBO.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Frostwerks posted:

Ser Pounce gonna eat Stannis.

The more likely scenario.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lycus posted:

This three eyed raven ad promotion is pretty terrible. Just work on the trailer, HBO.

Was there any good reason they changed it from a crow for the TV? Other than to wind up book readers...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My guess would be that they felt like crows were associated with the night's watch and they didn't want to confuse viewers, although Bloodraven is indeed a former member of the night's watch so it would have hardly mattered either way.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My guess would be that they felt like crows were associated with the night's watch and they didn't want to confuse viewers, although Bloodraven is indeed a former member of the night's watch so it would have hardly mattered either way.

Yeah, its almost like its meant to be associated with the night watch...

And there are crap tons of ravens about to confuse everything anyway. Maybe CGI ravens are cheaper when you've already made some.

What was more annoying was that they forgot that bloodraven is only meant to have one eye. FFS.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

What was more annoying was that they forgot that bloodraven is only meant to have one eye. FFS.

I hadn't heard this. Does the change impact any of his lines in any way?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
And yet they kept the "one thousand eyes and one" line. Go figure.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, it changes the meaning of 'a thousand eyes and one', for one. He's seeing the world through his one eye and the thousand eyes of others. I'm hoping like loving crazy that they just had a little mistake in the last episode and will make the effort to put proper make-up on Bloodraven circa the 6th season.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Apoplexy posted:

Well, it changes the meaning of 'a thousand eyes and one', for one. He's seeing the world through his one eye and the thousand eyes of others. I'm hoping like loving crazy that they just had a little mistake in the last episode and will make the effort to put proper make-up on Bloodraven circa the 6th season.

Exactly, I can't believe it's a deliberate choice, as it just makes it harder to get the meaning of that line. Laziness, or just incompetent production that somehow missed that point.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
They blew their budget buying the animatronic skeleton arm from some haunted house so that it could stab Jojen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Everything about Bran's journey into the North was bad.

Fox-does-Game-of-Thrones bad.

They work in different teams based on the areas they're filming in, right? Who was the director?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the animated skeletons were dope

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i pity anybody who can't appreciate a good animated skeleton battle

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Didn't Leaf throw fireballs or at least made the skellingtons catch on fire in the book? I didn't think it looked that goofy, but I am a forgiving sort.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

wooger posted:

Was there any good reason they changed it from a crow for the TV? Other than to wind up book readers...

Meh, doesn't bother me. Motherfucker's name is Bloodraven, not Bloodcrow. :colbert:

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Leaf used a torch in the books because wights in the books seem to be especially vulnerable to any kind of fire; they catch light very easily. In the show, Leaf throws incendiary grenades because that's more exciting I guess.

It remains one of the worst scenes in the show.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

Leaf used a torch in the books because wights in the books seem to be especially vulnerable to any kind of fire; they catch light very easily. In the show, Leaf throws incendiary grenades because that's more exciting I guess.

Show Leaf looks completely different from what I imagined her to look like based on the book. But show wights are pretty flammable, as they should be.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I really liked *bits* of it. The way the skeletons climbed out, the complete wtf as Leaf appears, the explosions in the cave, the Dark Souls styling of Bloodraven.

It's just a strangely badly choreographed fight scene. Too much TV-drama fighting, not enough GoT-insta-gibbing, If the skeletons had just popped up and wrenched Jojen's head off I'd have been a lot happier about it.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Surely that's the fault of the grenade throwing elf?

I think you're just racist against skeletons. Kinda ironic, considering that you *are* half skeleton.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DeepQantas posted:

I think you're just racist against skeletons. Kinda ironic, considering that you *are* half skeleton.

Excuse me, but I'm only one-third skeleton.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Irish Joe posted:

Excuse me, but I'm only one-third skeleton.

Don't skeleton shame.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
We're all a little skeleton on the inside.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really liked *bits* of it. The way the skeletons climbed out,

The skeletons were done really well, the way they moved was genuinely frightening and they were probably the least campy walking skeletons I've ever seen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

The skeletons were done really well, the way they moved was genuinely frightening and they were probably the least campy walking skeletons I've ever seen.

Yeah, but they're still skeletons

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, but they're still skeletons

There was clearly some sort of necromancy going on and those were the bodies nearby. It'd be weirder if there wasn't a skeleton or two thrown into the mix

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Right... but it's still loving magical fighting skeletons :geno:

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

I'm not a skeleton, I'm just low on calories!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Ugh magic in MY magic fantasy story?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dumb magic, fighting skeletons are dumb magic :skeltal:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Dumb magic, fighting skeletons are dumb magic :skeltal:

I'm so sick of these dumb ice skeletons and fire-throwing elves. I wish the show would get back to what it's good at, ice zombies and fire-breathing dragons.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PostNouveau posted:

I'm so sick of these dumb ice skeletons and fire-throwing elves. I wish the show would get back to what it's good at, ice zombies and fire-breathing dragons.

No, no, you see, one of those is "dumb magic" and the other is not; this is very simple :eng101:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It actually is!

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Guys, stop it - I heard there's a girl reading the thread :ohdear:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I half expected the skeletons to be adds in a boss fight with a white walker.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mortabis posted:

I half expected the skeletons to be adds in a boss fight with a white walker.

I was 90% sure there was going to be White Walker there overseeing everything, and Meera was going to shoot him with one of those obsidian arrows. I figured that that was the reason why they emphasized Sam giving her the arrowheads.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Hold on... Won't Jon Show just tell Stannis to go find Bran if he needs a Lord of Winterfell?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Westeros is not ready yet for a tree leader. Maybe in a couple of decades :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

DeepQantas posted:

Hold on... Won't Jon Show just tell Stannis to go find Bran if he needs a Lord of Winterfell?

They might just not do the Lord of Winterfell offer in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

DeepQantas posted:

Huh, now that you mentioned it, they could pretty easily change Davos' storyline from going to find Rickon to going to find Bran.

Although I doubt it will happen, since Rickon was sent to a much more easily approachable place in the show(Last Hearth), it would be funny for Show Stannis to just continue to be a total dick and send Davos beyond the Wall, alone, tasked with finding one boy in the vast untamed wilderness, while beset on all sides by savage wildlings and ice monsters.

• Locked thread