Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a rough draft of some ideas I'd been bouncing around in my head for giving OSR Magic-Users some 4E-style at-will and encounter powers.

Is this in addition to dailies, or replacing dailies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

The problem I'm seeing is that of scaling: if a spell targets AC, a Magic-User is going to be +2 attack behind a Fighter by Name level, and +6 attack behind a Fighter by level 20. Granted, 10% less chance to hit by the point where most campaigns peter out maybe isn't that bad a deal.

Similarly, if a spell targets Saving Throws (vs spell)
If youre going to do this make sure their "never runs out" ability is worse than a thrown dagger, which they also have but have to actually carry as a limited resource. And I would definitley make it a to-hit roll. It will get tedious for you to roll saves every time the mage sneezes.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, if the distance or targeting definition in the spells seems rather vague, I did intentionally write it that way with a mind towards an abstract [Ranged > Melee Scrum < Ranged] behavior.
Again, I would make it short ranged - no better than a dagger or dart.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FRINGE posted:

If youre going to do this make sure their "never runs out" ability is worse than a thrown dagger, which they also have but have to actually carry as a limited resource.

I don't know that I would make it worse than a dagger as long as it was still worse than the average 'at-will' move of every other class. Of course, by better than a thrown dagger I mean exactly like a thrown dagger except you don't have to stuff a pile of pointy things into your pack.

Definitely the mage should make attack rolls for at-wills because if they are getting bored tossing rocks every turn they'll get bored even faster just telling you how much damage they do and to who each turn.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm thinking about a hexcrawl game on the seas (similar to like, Etrian Odyssey 3). Are there any retroclones out there that have a nautical focus, or should I just freewheel it and estimate based on various source material like GURPS Swashbucklers and the like?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a rough draft of some ideas I'd been bouncing around in my head for giving OSR Magic-Users some 4E-style at-will and encounter powers. It came about because as I was rolling up a random dungeon using the B/X tables, it occurred to me that a level 1 MU might find this place deeply unsatisfying because he'd just be hurling rocks after his one spell (not exactly a huge revelation, I know). As well, it steers the MU away from being able to handle all sorts of utility.

The problem I'm seeing is that of scaling: if a spell targets AC, a Magic-User is going to be +2 attack behind a Fighter by Name level, and +6 attack behind a Fighter by level 20. Granted, 10% less chance to hit by the point where most campaigns peter out maybe isn't that bad a deal.

Similarly, if a spell targets Saving Throws (vs spell), the chance of a spell going off just gets worse and worse as you get later into the game (around 40-50% chance to save by Name level) with no way for the MU to negate it (unless that's also another spell by itself). I was thinking of just fudging monster spell saves into a static "13 or better" at all levels.

Also, if the distance or targeting definition in the spells seems rather vague, I did intentionally write it that way with a mind towards an abstract [Ranged > Melee Scrum < Ranged] behavior.

Any thoughts / feedback would be appreciated.

I'm firmly in the camp of believing that magic users shouldn't have at will spells. Combat isn't the solution to everything, and giving them unlimited combat ability changes the group dynamic.

In the b/x|LBB 0e game I run, the fighting-men and thieves start trouble the most and usually look to start a fight, while my clerics and magic-users think things out and try to parley or make the best use of strategy and caution.

Giving magic users unlimited or even more combat ability to start out with just encourages people to play them as just another dps class. People have different preferred play styles and if you want to be a Magic-User you need to have patience and ingenuity. If they're bored as a magic user they should be a different class.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Is this in addition to dailies, or replacing dailies?
No dailies, just at-will and encounter powers, though some of the spells were taken from what were supposed to be dailies.

FRINGE posted:

One 2e option is to let the mage use [missile] of whatever as an alternate weapon (throwing daggers were popular with our groups) and let spells be memorized based on level vs time. I used 15 game minutes to memorize one spell level. That lets the player(s) have to prioritize what they save and what they rememorize, without ever completely running them dry. Theres always an excuse for a 30-60 min rest/bandage/eat break in-character. When they get the higher-level spells then those become much more of a limited commodity.

FRINGE posted:

If youre going to do this make sure their "never runs out" ability is worse than a thrown dagger, which they also have but have to actually carry as a limited resource. And I would definitley make it a to-hit roll. It will get tedious for you to roll saves every time the mage sneezes.

Again, I would make it short ranged - no better than a dagger or dart.

DalaranJ posted:

I don't know that I would make it worse than a dagger as long as it was still worse than the average 'at-will' move of every other class. Of course, by better than a thrown dagger I mean exactly like a thrown dagger except you don't have to stuff a pile of pointy things into your pack.

Definitely the mage should make attack rolls for at-wills because if they are getting bored tossing rocks every turn they'll get bored even faster just telling you how much damage they do and to who each turn.
Thank you for the input! I'll have to chew on this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I'm in favor of At-Will spells for magical classes(the other solution being increasing the amount of normal spells they start out with), although most of them should deal 1d4 damage or less, and shouldn't do more than 1d6 damage at least at early levels(by Domain levels they could probably be given more of a bump)

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Most of the games I've been running recently have been for people who have never played a RPG before in their lives, and it's definitely biasing me towards streamlining things and giving people way more liberties when it comes to little cool flourishes that don't really change game mechanics. Letting people who want to play wizards the ability to throw little darts of magic instead of daggers really does up certain types of new players' fun, while not really having much of a downside. Pretty much the only thing I can think of is that you can't disarm someone of a memorized spell, but even with that you could just say they need a physical focus to use the ability.

I think D&D in general could use wizards having a bit more to do at level one and way way less to do at level ten.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Yes, Macris and Tito may be a couple of shitlords.

However, you should just skip ACKS because of its other problems.

People want to play OSR games because they are fun and lighter than later D&D iterations. ACKS instead bolts on an overly complex skill and proficiency system, with no delineation between non-combat and combat proficiencies, and grants each class its own highly variable rate of proficiency acquisition.

The flip side of this problem is that the combat proficiencies have incredibly minor effects for the most part. Stuff like, +1 to hit, or you now crit on a natural 20. You pretty much get lovely 3e feats, rather than something cool, like BECMI style weapon mastery.

Basically, you get an end product that is only slightly less groggy than 3e. That's more than enough to skip it.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

CountingWizard posted:

I'm firmly in the camp of believing that magic users shouldn't have at will spells. Combat isn't the solution to everything, and giving them unlimited combat ability changes the group dynamic.

In the b/x|LBB 0e game I run, the fighting-men and thieves start trouble the most and usually look to start a fight, while my clerics and magic-users think things out and try to parley or make the best use of strategy and caution.

Giving magic users unlimited or even more combat ability to start out with just encourages people to play them as just another dps class. People have different preferred play styles and if you want to be a Magic-User you need to have patience and ingenuity. If they're bored as a magic user they should be a different class.
holy poo poo, I could repost this to grognards.txt. too bad they don't allow homegrown grog

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Again, thanks for the input - what I ended up doing was to create an "attack roll + INT adjustment" magic attack on a 1d4 as a baseline, then scaled up from there. A 1d6 needs the MU to get up close and personal, an AOE is encounter-only, and so on. More ideas to come, but maybe if I get players past the B book to begin with.

CountingWizard posted:

I'm just going to say that it depends on the kind of game you're playing. B/X D&D as written isn't really anything more than combat, except if the DM includes the reaction rules, but even then it's all up to the roll of the dice and a Fighter could be the one negotiating with the Ogres to prevent an encounter if his 3d6-down-the-line attributes blessed him with sufficient Charisma.

I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you that giving casters at-wills is going to encourage players to play as "I attack, I hit, killed the monster, next", but that's specifically the kind of game I was looking to run in the first place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ascendance posted:

People want to play OSR games because they are fun and lighter than later D&D iterations. ACKS instead bolts on an overly complex skill and proficiency system, with no delineation between non-combat and combat proficiencies, and grants each class its own highly variable rate of proficiency acquisition.

The flip side of this problem is that the combat proficiencies have incredibly minor effects for the most part. Stuff like, +1 to hit, or you now crit on a natural 20. You pretty much get lovely 3e feats, rather than something cool, like BECMI style weapon mastery.
This is the problem I have with ACKS. I just don't see a reason to use it instead of the RC.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The RC is probably the best D&D thing ever. For one, it's one book for all your needs, even the ones you don't have because let's face it, no one ever even tried out that Immortals garbage.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Was there an Immortals module where the party ends up at a modern day (1980s) gas station? I clearly remember looking at that from when I was a kid, but that was so long ago now.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yup. That was when your merry band of immortals goes looking for the essence of the five senses.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

CountingWizard posted:

Of course they try to avoid combat - once combat starts, there's nothing for them to do but throw harsh language.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Thief is bad. Just redistribute thief skills with the normal skill system.

I currently run 2e with both general skills and special abilities, where being a thief means you always get an additional unopposed thief % roll for what would normally be an opposed task. It works pretty well. Anybody can sneak, climb, etc, but thieves always have that advantage.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

OtspIII posted:

giving people way more liberties when it comes to little cool flourishes that don't really change game mechanics. Letting people who want to play wizards the ability to throw little darts of magic instead of daggers really does up certain types of new players' fun, while not really having much of a downside.
Once a DM is comfortable with the system, this is good for all classes. I usually avoid letting it bleed into combat much, but if the mage really wants to pull a beer across a table or whatever, let them have semi-permanent access to various cantrips. Same for fighters and rogues in non-combat. Let them RP it up a bit. (Just leave room for getting better later.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kemper Boyd posted:

The RC is probably the best D&D thing ever. For one, it's one book for all your needs, even the ones you don't have because let's face it, no one ever even tried out that Immortals garbage.
I never even looked at it way back, but I wish I had it now! (For entertainment. I have no idea how it was put together.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I really need to revisit the RC. I lost my copy years ago before I got super familiar with it. My BECMI games were all run with the basic and expert sets, which honestly have more than enough rules to play a really fun game with when you're 11

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I picked up the RC a couple of months ago and I can confirm that it's rad as hell.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Kemper Boyd posted:

I just don't like racial classes. I don't. It annoys me on some level.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ascendance posted:

Same. 2e gave me all the fake-eco/econ/zoo/socio/myth/etc stuff I like too. (Mainly the FR and PS piles.)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FRINGE posted:

Same. 2e gave me all the fake-eco/econ/zoo/socio/myth/etc stuff I like too. (Mainly the FR and PS piles.)

RC has rules to convert all your AD&D stuff.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

RC has rules to convert all your AD&D stuff.
Some magical day when I have the legendary "free time" again.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ascendance posted:

Racial classes make tons of sense when you remember that it all came out of Basic, which was initially intended to be Your First D&D. Racial classes basically take everything "core" about the race and boil it down to a single class. Like, elves: what's their schtick? They fight and cast spells. Halflings are sneaky and good with slings. Dwarves are tough against magic and good with stone and are stout fighters. If the goal is to make a "simpler" D&D, then removing the whole race and multiclass part of it slims it down a fair amount.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I like racial classes. Picking a race based on synergy with your class sucks, wanting to play a race that sucks at your class sucks, and you can still call yourself whatever you want.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I'm looking over Scarlet Heroes, and I like it lots. I think it should be pretty simple to adapt for group play.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

I like racial classes. Picking a race based on synergy with your class sucks, wanting to play a race that sucks at your class sucks, and you can still call yourself whatever you want.
Nothing wrong with elven thieves and dwarven priests. :colbert:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I have simple tastes. Dwarven priest to me is a priest.

Scarlet Heroes is the bomb. It adapts to Labyrinth Lord, Dark Dungeons, B/x, Becmi, and probably OD&D.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Scarlet Heroes is the bomb. It adapts to Labyrinth Lord, Dark Dungeons, B/x, Becmi, and probably OD&D.
Given that many old tournament modules were written for 8 players, and Scarlet Heroes characters are supposed to be worth about 4 characters each, maybe you would be better off running stock Scarlet Heroes as a 2 man thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Confirming that Scarlet Heroes owns. Modifying it for multiple players should be as simple as either shifting back to hit points and/or dropping the Fray Die system.

EDIT: And a DM section has a truckton of "make up a campaign on the fly" tables and guidelines.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Agree. I also allow crossover in the other direction.

I admit it maybe a little confusing on the surface that your character can be a human 'elf', but I assure you that they studied very hard in order to learn infravision.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

your character can be a human 'elf', but I assure you that they studied very hard in order to learn infravision.
NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :suicide:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If I was going to make a BD&D retroclone, I'd keep the base four classes, but change them for each race. So humans would be the "standard" fighter/cleric/magic-user/thief, but for the dwarf the classes would become something like tunnel fighter/stonespeaker/runecarver/mechanist, and they'd be different from the "standard" class.

Does anyone have a link to a hexcrawl game in action? I understand how they work in theory and design, but I don't get how they're supposed to work in actual play.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I was going to make a BD&D retroclone, I'd keep the base four classes, but change them for each race. So humans would be the "standard" fighter/cleric/magic-user/thief, but for the dwarf the classes would become something like tunnel fighter/stonespeaker/runecarver/mechanist, and they'd be different from the "standard" class.

Does anyone have a link to a hexcrawl game in action? I understand how they work in theory and design, but I don't get how they're supposed to work in actual play.

I saw someone on rpg.net trying to do something like this. Three races, and three classes for each, so it basically comes down to: here is the caster/fighter/rogue for each race. It's called Tower of Adamant or something like that. He's been doing it on the design forum but occasionally threads about it pop into the TRO section. It seems like an interesting idea to me. Races are human, elf, dwarf, I think. Maybe he has plans to do more, I dunno.

If you Google the title, maybe adding "rpg" on to your search terms, you will probably find a draft or two out there. He's been shifting between a d20 variant and dice pools and other things. Since I already started talking about this game I should add something interesting I saw in one or more of his drafts: resolution for tasks and such has a different roll depending on the circumstances. When there's no stress, it's like 2d10 or something, but in a stressful or high-drama situation, it becomes d20.

I've seen a few other games try this out and the idea intrigues me because it mechanically represents some of the differences in certain scenes. It's the basis for why you roll things differently depending on context in all the Sine Nomine games (skills are 2d6, unless you are dealing with 2d8 for Scarlet Heroes traits; combat rolls and saving throws are d20, because those things are supposed to be more about chance and chaos and stuff).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like having easy-picks available, but would still want to let players branch out on the ideas if they wanted to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

NOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :suicide:

Hey the Germans pulled it off in 1940, they just had their pilots eat lots of carrots.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hey the Germans pulled it off in 1940, they just had their pilots eat lots of carrots.

I'm nearly sure you're being sarcastic here, but: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...8812484/?no-ist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ProfessorCirno posted:

Racial classes make tons of sense when you remember that it all came out of Basic, which was initially intended to be Your First D&D. Racial classes basically take everything "core" about the race and boil it down to a single class. Like, elves: what's their schtick? They fight and cast spells. Halflings are sneaky and good with slings. Dwarves are tough against magic and good with stone and are stout fighters. If the goal is to make a "simpler" D&D, then removing the whole race and multiclass part of it slims it down a fair amount.

Don't forget that Basic also introduced new classes in books when it made sense - so the book about the country of the dwarves had Dwarven Priests, etc. This allows it to be an optional rule if you really want to have dwarves have their own special clerics.

• Locked thread