Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Chamale posted:

Memory Lapse
This is the most frustrating spell to have slapped on a Scepter. You're a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Just now got your standard P3P6 Umezawa's Jitte. Perfect follow up to that P2P4 Skullclamp, P1P5 Dark Confidant, and P1P7 Hero of Bladehold.

Everyone in my draft is forcing a strategy they thought of ahead of time, that's the only explanation.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Had a pretty good G/W ramp deck that I went 2-1 in through Swiss.

Favorite sequence of the night was when I got Mind Twisted for 4 with 5 cards in hand, then on my turn flashbacked Unburial Rites on a Terrastodon, destroyed my opponent's Worn Powerstone, Island, and Drowned Catacomb (leaving their tapped Grim Monolith and an Island). Then, I Green Sun Zenithing for a 5/6 Tarmogoyf. The next turn I swung in and traded the Goyf, leaving them with one Elephant, hardcasting Garruk, Apex Predator post-combat and they scooped.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Froghammer posted:

This is the most frustrating spell to have slapped on a Scepter. You're a monster.
Am I a bad person for having that combo in my Peasant Cube?

Scepter is also "fun" with Diabolic edict.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Turn 2 Mind Twist you for 6, say go.

Don't pass Mind Twist ya'll.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Everyone in every draft is forcing a strategy they thought of ahead of time, that's the only explanation.

Here I made this more accurate.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Here I made this more accurate.

I mean, like, it's holiday cube, it's all about living the dream.

Whatever dream that might be.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Strip Mine/Crucible/no actual win condition in my dream.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
My dream is to reanimate iona naming blue against islands and elesh norn against mountains.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Froghammer posted:

DId you ever play with Isochron Scepter in Standard? The old Magnivore deck would get an Isochron Scepter out on turn 1 with Boomerang Imprinted with frightening regularity.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm living the dream right now with Skullclamp and Gravecrawler, with Recurring Nightmare, Geralf's Messenger, and Bone Shredder/Skinrender for good measure. There has never been a creature on the other side of the table during my combat phase in any turn of all 4 games (with Necromancy, Reanimate, and Animate Dead to steal the poo poo I kill).

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Gyshall posted:

Turn 2 Mind Twist you for 6, say go.

Don't pass Mind Twist ya'll.

That, or don't pass all the good artifact ramp that allows you to have 7 mana on turn 2 at which point the specific 7 mana spell you cast doesn't really matter.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

That, or don't pass all the good artifact ramp that allows you to have 7 mana on turn 2 at which point the specific 7 mana spell you cast doesn't really matter.

I think just to make sure, you shouldn't pass anything in cube ever.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm living the dream right now with Skullclamp and Gravecrawler, with Recurring Nightmare, Geralf's Messenger, and Bone Shredder/Skinrender for good measure. There has never been a creature on the other side of the table during my combat phase in any turn of all 4 games (with Necromancy, Reanimate, and Animate Dead to steal the poo poo I kill).

everyone talking about holiday cube makes me want to reconsider trying MODO again, especially this.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Strip Mine/Crucible/no actual win condition in my dream.

I had a really sweet Knight of the Reliquary/Crucible/Life from the Loam engine deck in a cube draft once. I got exactly zero nonbasic lands that weren't duals.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Cactrot posted:

everyone talking about holiday cube makes me want to reconsider trying MODO again, especially this.

I thought that too. It seems I enjoy watching people do degenerate things than fail at them, myself.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

En Fuego posted:

I thought that too. It seems I enjoy watching people do degenerate things than fail at them, myself.

They gave away 16 Phantom Points if you logged in in the last month or so. I put up a warning the day before it ended. If you did in fact log in then you can play one for free.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

They gave away 16 Phantom Points if you logged in in the last month or so. I put up a warning the day before it ended. If you did in fact log in then you can play one for free.

Oh I did. Like I said, it's fun when you get passed all the cool cards and manage to throw something together that works.

I did not. ;)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

En Fuego posted:

Oh I did. Like I said, it's fun when you get passed all the cool cards and manage to throw something together that works.

I did not. ;)

I had a pretty neat Bant Hatebear control thing going - won Match 1 easily, lost Match 2 resoundingly and just barely lost Match 3. But it was still a lot of fun.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
My 8 year old nephew really wants to play magic. Apparently he crawled under a table and cried saying "life's not fair, life's not fair" because some other kid got a magic set for his birthday and he doesn't have any cards. What's the best thing for me to buy to get him started?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Athanos posted:

My 8 year old nephew really wants to play magic. Apparently he crawled under a table and cried saying "life's not fair, life's not fair" because some other kid got a magic set for his birthday and he doesn't have any cards. What's the best thing for me to buy to get him started?

Go buy a few Core Set packs and make a deck with the least confusing cards you can find.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Tell him he's dumb and Magic will ruin everything in life and leave him with no money for soccer balls or shoes or anything. Save him from becoming a jaded misanthrope like the rest of us, getting mad at a toy company for printing cardboard rectangles with ink patterns different from the patterns we want.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Athanos posted:

For an 8 year old? A fat pack and a theme deck would last him a good while. It would give him a deck to play with and modify (that is already somewhat decent) a good bit of cards to alter that deck with, lands and a cardbox. That would run a total of about 60 for everything.

However just the fat pack is probably the best thing for a kid, as it has a card box, 9 packs of cards and a die, and that will run about 33-40 depending on the shop.

Other than that, the deckbuilder's toolkit is also great though not as good as the fat pack. The toolkit is anywhere from 20-26 dollars depending on the store.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tell him he's dumb and Magic will ruin everything in life and leave him with no money for soccer balls or shoes or anything. Save him from becoming a jaded misanthrope like the rest of us, getting mad at a toy company for printing cardboard rectangles with ink patterns different from the patterns we want.

This is also true.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Because he's 8 my personal recommendation is a core set Deckbuilder box which you can pickup from Target or Walmart for about $20. If you really wanna be the cool uncle though, get a Khans of Tarkir fat pack for him. A bit more expensive but includes more goodies which make it easier to play with a friend who doesn't have any cards, though either could get him started just fine.

Edit: Beat on the opinion by Madmarker who seems like a very smart person.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
If you really want to blow his mind collect all the draft leavings from a few tourneys and give him a big rear end bag of commons and junk rares. Kids just love having cards, quantity trumps quality every time.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to head out to the local magic shop and see what they have in stock and go from there; I'll use your suggestions to guide my decision. I would love to use amazon, but I'm not sure I can trust shipping around Christmas, because an empty tree is a sad tree.

Anecdotally I know someone who played magic in high school and he has a really hot girlfriend. It can be done!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Related to the green ramp cube discussion, I kind of want to share a recent blog post I wrote about that exact archetype in the most recent holiday cube. I started writing and I had a surprisingly large amount to say. Like, eight pages worth. Hmmmmm.

I really hope elves continue to stay open.

http://awakeningzone.blogspot.in/2014/12/drafting-holiday-cube-if-you-cant-open.html

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Froghammer posted:

I did this precisely one time, and it was to a guy I hated more than anyone else in the city I was living in at the time. It was amazing to counter something of his 5 times in a row, then hard counter it just for a change of pace. By the end he was about a hair's breadth from taking a swing at me.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
3-0'd a holiday cube draft with 1st pick Library of Alexandria, and 2nd pack 1st pick Black Lotus. Had a tap out UW control deck with sword of Fire and Ice, Batterskull, Stoneforge Mystic, ALL the control magic effects and Bribery.

I had Library in my opening hand on the draw in 4 games...

Tremendous fun was had.

Edit: oh yeah had Shackles too. I think I used up all my luck for the next year's drafts

Boy of Joy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 19, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Quality customer service, yo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I missed the name of the player and I thought the employee was just saying "bro" a lot.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
That's a good response. Players who complain about getting bad draws and how the shuffler is out to get them are the freakin worst.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

If that's your screenshot you have some kind of adware infection or browser plugin that's highlighting words to make ad links.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Cactrot posted:

My wallet is telling me no, but my body... is telling me yes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

Didn't we just finish laughing at the horrendous coding of the leaked shuffler?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

If that's your screenshot you have some kind of adware infection or browser plugin that's highlighting words to make ad links.

Nah, not my screenshot, I just found the whole thing genuinely amusing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

Didn't we just finish laughing at the horrendous coding of the leaked shuffler?

link pls. :magical:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It was the sample hand randomiser, not the deck shuffler.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

link pls. :magical:

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2o73b4/incontrovertible_fact_of_the_unfairness_of_the/

The offline hand sampler, though I don't see much reason why not to believe it isn't similar to the online shuffler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Ramos posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2o73b4/incontrovertible_fact_of_the_unfairness_of_the/

The offline hand sampler, though I don't see much reason why not to believe it isn't similar to the online shuffler.

Because they told us that it wasn't and then told everyone what algorithm they were using instead?

• Locked thread